Spirit keeps changing our flights? Is this common for flights into San Juan?

HappySailer88

We initially booked our direct flight from Detroit to San Juan for Feb 2, since that time it has been rescheduled 3 more time with connectors. I was doing some bogus bookings to see how full our flight was and it was only half full, so I do understand the connectors now ?@$!. Is this common? We now have 11 hour layovers. I did find a better connector, but it has a 50 minute layover. Thinking we could make it , but our luggage may not? They have  flights to San Juan every weekend for cruises.  What are we all doing? 

I have traveled with Spirit 5 times now without any issues. 

Dennis

Several things to address here:

- Three times since when? Three times in nine months is more common than three times in two months. 

- I assume you're looking at the seating chart to determine how "full" it is or is not. That's not an accurate way to judge on any airline, but especially on an airline like Spirit where so many people choose to not pay for seat assignments. 

- 50 minute connection where? That makes a big difference. 

4 minutes ago, Zach1213 said:

Several things to address here:

- Three times since when? Three times in nine months is more common than three times in two months. 

- I assume you're looking at the seating chart to determine how "full" it is or is not. That's not an accurate way to judge on any airline, but especially on an airline like Spirit where so many people choose to not pay for seat assignments. 

- 50 minute connection where? That makes a big difference. 

Our initial booking was Sept 7. Yes I was just looking at the seat chart, not knowing. The 50 minute layover would be in Orlando. 

8 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

The seat map is absolutely not a good way to gauge ticket sales. It is only a way to gauge seat assignments. Many people don't get seat assignments at booking. It is also unlikely the fullness of the flight caused the flight changes.

Thanks I did not think of that. 

1 hour ago, HappySailer88 said:

Our initial booking was Sept 7. Yes I was just looking at the seat chart, not knowing. The 50 minute layover would be in Orlando. 

So, I will caveat that I have never connected on Spirit. But 50 minutes is probably okay in MCO assuming DTW-MCO is on time. Your issue is going to be what happens if you do miss that connection, because I believe Spirit only has one or MAYBE two MCO-SJU flights per day. That makes it much more difficult to be accommodated if you miss the connection, which can create a lot of issues. A more traditional airline like American, Delta, or Southwest would have more options to be re-accommodated. 

5 minutes ago, Zach1213 said:

So, I will caveat that I have never connected on Spirit. But 50 minutes is probably okay in MCO assuming DTW-MCO is on time. Your issue is going to be what happens if you do miss that connection, because I believe Spirit only has one or MAYBE two MCO-SJU flights per day. That makes it much more difficult to be accommodated if you miss the connection, which can create a lot of issues. A more traditional airline like American, Delta, or Southwest would have more options to be re-accommodated. 

I am starting to agree I could have made a better choice for airlines for something like this. Not how I want to start or finish our cruise with family and friends. I don't fly enough for the do's and don'ts.  I should have checked in sooner with my Cruise Critic Family. They have saved me a boat load of $$ and headaches over the years. They truly have. 

I am just hoping to get a better connector at this point. Also whatever I do I have 8 people to change up. Oh boy! LOL

5 minutes ago, HappySailer88 said:

I am just hoping to get a better connector at this point. Also whatever I do I have 8 people to change up. Oh boy! LOL

I mean, the schedule could always keep changing and end up being something more comfortable. Who knows at this point. Out of curiosity though - what's your exact schedule? I only ask because I see various options on February 2nd for DTW-SJU, but none of them seem to match 50 minutes in MCO. And yes, unfortunately, re-accommodating eight people becomes very difficult on an airline that runs minimal flights on any given route. Not trying to cause you stress, just trying to paint the full picture. 

Boy does it ever keep changing....Just spent 20 minutes looking and its longer there?It was there last Wednesday. We had our direct canceled, Atlanta and Fort Myers connectors  canceled and out of Atlanta at the moment. Lol no stress here yet , unless we miss the cruise send off. My daughter would be really grumpy then. Defiantly appreciate your help.

Spirit is such a risky airline to use for time sensitive travel, and you are going in February and need eight seats?  Using an airline with a limited schedule and no interline agreement with anyone really limits your options.  If the flight is delayed or canceled, they won't pay to place you on another carrier.  You'll be on your own.

Edited by 6rugrats
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, 6rugrats said:

Spirit is such a risky airline to use for time sensitive travel

100%. I've said it here before, but I don't mind Spirit. I use Spirit sometimes for things like my yearly guys trip to Vegas. It's almost always a good deal, it's nonstop, the schedule usually works for me, the Big Front Seat is cheap and comfy, the service is usually quite good, and I'm usually on-time if not early. But hey, if I am late, or even miss a day, it's not a big deal...life goes on. Spirit is perfect for something like that. But I would never take them for a business trip or a cruise where a delay can cause serious issues. 

I'll also say that I like Spirit because my buddy is a Spirit captain and they take care of him quite well, both financially and in quality of life, and I definitely appreciate that. 

Edited by Zach1213
  • Like 2

So after looking for that flight again the other day that I couldn't find, I did find a flight that worked better for us. I called Spirit and had us all rebooked relatively quick and easy. She did stated we could change it free of charge 1 time after that charges will apply. Woke up this morning with a flight change notice again and our new flight changed by 16 minutes. I can handle that change I guess ..lol. Only 2 more months to go.

Ya chalking this up to a vacation lesson learned. If I recall we could have taken a direct Delta flight for $600 more. The wife just reminded me ..again🤦‍♂️

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/28/2023 at 12:52 PM, HappySailer88 said:

We initially booked our direct flight from Detroit to San Juan...... What are we all doing? 

I have traveled with Spirit 5 times now without any issues. 

Dennis

Not booking Spirit, that's what this "we" would be doing.  Not for a cruise, anyway.  Please tell me you are booked to arrive 1 or even 2 days pre-cruise and are not flying in the day of embarkation???

Spirit is just too risky for that in my mind.  If something happens and your flight is canceled or you miss a connection, it's going to be darn near impossible to get 8 people rebooked same day, or possibly even next day.

Given that you are starting in DTW, a Delta hub, I'd book Delta for that trip.  More money?  Almost certainly.  But loads of options if things go sideways.  You can be rerouted through ATL, JFK/LGA, MSP etc.  You might have to split up to do so but that's better than missing your cruise.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, waterbug123 said:

Not booking Spirit, that's what this "we" would be doing.  Not for a cruise, anyway.  Please tell me you are booked to arrive 1 or even 2 days pre-cruise and are not flying in the day of embarkation???

Spirit is just too risky for that in my mind.  If something happens and your flight is canceled or you miss a connection, it's going to be darn near impossible to get 8 people rebooked same day, or possibly even next day.

Given that you are starting in DTW, a Delta hub, I'd book Delta for that trip.  More money?  Almost certainly.  But loads of options if things go sideways.  You can be rerouted through ATL, JFK/LGA, MSP etc.  You might have to split up to do so but that's better than missing your cruise.

We always fly in the day before and our ship sails at 8pm.🤞 Ya, defiantly would have done things differently. All our cruises and Florida trips with a number of different airlines we never had a cancelation, layover or delays. Lucky? I think what makes this different is its San Jaun?? Not as easy to fill a flight from one location??