BEWARE! Read this before you book with Celebrity

YukonCanadianCruiser

On 12/1/2023 at 3:51 PM, twsalso said:

That is a little personal but it was a geriatric pregnancy and they had all of the testing done before going public.

It's no ones business. But, it seems displaced to be mad at the cruise line for applying standard cancellation fees instead of at the family member who waited until after final payment to bring up a medical issue that they had known about for four months. I'm assuming she was unaware of the cancellation fees and dates. From the standpoint of knowing they needed to cancel, 2 days wouldn't have made much difference either way.

Edited by sanger727
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

20 hours ago, DownByTheSea said:

So, yeah, Greece in October is like 75%+ less than the holy lands itinerary it replaced. I would definitely expect Celebrity to offer some serious compensation if I were the OP. It's only fair. They're earning high dollar itinerary rates and offering a low dollar replacement. Not fair at all to keep the money and run. War is horrible, but both the OP and Celebrity are impacted, so they should share the pain, not dump all the downside on the OP. 

You can't compare the price of a re-routed itinerary a few months aware to an established itinerary that has been out for a year plus. Of course this one is dramatically cheaper - they have to suddenly fill a ship with a new itinerary, at an unideal time of year, in an area that is near a war. That doesn't mean that a typical greek island cruise is 75% less than a typical holy lands cruise. If the opposite had happened - a war broke out in greece and a greek cruise was re-routed to Israel, the price would still be unusually inexpensive to fill a ship at the last minute with new cruisers. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, billc23 said:

Silversea - owned by RCI - had a pre final  payment itinerary change and offered this:

"The safety and security of our guests and crew are always our top priority. Due to significant geopolitical unrest in Myanmar, we have made the difficult decision to cancel our calls in Yangon. We will now visit Hambantota and Trincomalee in Sri Lanka and enjoy an extended guest experience in Phuket, Thailand. A stop in New Mangalore, India has also been eliminated from the itinerary due to restrictions by local authorities.

We know this information is unexpected, and we appreciate your understanding. Please know these adjustments are intended to safeguard your well-being, and you should feel confident that we are wholly committed to protecting your expected guest experience during this much-anticipated adventure through Asia. If you choose to stay booked on this voyage, you will receive a 15% future cruise credit issued 60 days prior to sailing and a shipboard credit of 500 USD per suite to enjoy while on board."

Along with other generous options to rebook any other future sailing, except the world cruise,  at a 10% discount. The booking conditions are similar but the goodwill is not.

Absolutely not related to the OP's issue but I was on a Millennium sailing in 2007 that had mechanical trouble on day 2 of a 14 day sailing. We were "stuck" in Civitavecchia for 10 days . All received free internet, free international phone calls, free excursions every day and free transportation to the planned debark city. All were refunded 100% of the cruise cost. Then all received a 100% cruise credit to be used in 18 months. I felt like I won the lottery!! My TA received her full commission and I received all of my payment back from Celebrity in addition to OBC from my TA. The treatment by Celebrity made me a  loyal customer. It was pre Retreat and we were in a suite with an outstanding butler. The refunded cruise cost was over $20,000 as was the amount received as FCC. How times and Celebrity have changed.

You are comparing apples with oranges.

Silversea knew way in advance and were able to plan a new itinerary. Celebrity was faced with reacting instantly to a totally unforeseen event.

Your Millennium example was due to a mechanical failure which resulted in 80% of the cruise being lost. In addition the Millennium failed to complete the itinerary as you had to be bussed to your final destination. 

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, the penguins said:

You are comparing apples with oranges.

Silversea knew way in advance and were able to plan a new itinerary. Celebrity was faced with reacting instantly to a totally unforeseen event.

Your Millennium example was due to a mechanical failure which resulted in 80% of the cruise being lost. In addition the Millennium failed to complete the itinerary as you had to be bussed to your final destination. 

Not really. Perhaps you misunderstood the point I was trying to make. I was just giving examples, one current and one from 17 years ago, on how we received compensation even though the cruise line was under no obligation. If Celebrity gave even a token amount of NROBC to all on the OP's sailing, it would have made the passengers feel better and the actual cost to Celebrity would be small. Give someone $300 and they use it in the spa for a massage for example - what is the real cost to Celebrity??? Perhaps someone would upgrade their internet package - what is the real cost to Celebrity??? I would venture the cost is much less than the dollar amount of the NROBC given. 

Yes, Silversea made changes in advance and then offered compensation, around $8,000 for me, to be applied to a future booking because of the changes. Other generous options were also offered if I did not want to sail because of the changes. They could have informed me of the changes without any compensation offered and I could decide to sail or cancel for the usual $250 fee that can be applied to a future sailing. The point is Silversea offered compensation that they were under no obligation to give.

The Millennium example was over the top in compensation. We really enjoyed the cruise because of the way Celebrity up the onboard entertainment and gave free daily tours. We were not bussed to our final destination. They offered free flights home or a flight/first class train to Venice. 100% refund of the cruise fare was given, as expected, because they did not fulfill their obligation. The compensation in the form of a FCC was not expected. The FCC was 100% of the cost of the cruise which was over $20,000 for me. The point is that Celebrity offered compensation that they were under no obligation to give. 

The attached article says 50% FCC for the June 30 sailing but Celebrity increased it to 100%. The passengers on the following cruise received their money back as expected but also 100% FCC that Celebrity had no obligation to give.

Damage to Celebrity Millennium forces cancellation of sailings: Travel Weekly.pdf

• Like 2

2 hours ago, billc23 said:

Not really. Perhaps you misunderstood the point I was trying to make. I was just giving examples, one current and one from 17 years ago, on how we received compensation even though the cruise line was under no obligation. If Celebrity gave even a token amount of NROBC to all on the OP's sailing, it would have made the passengers feel better and the actual cost to Celebrity would be small. Give someone $300 and they use it in the spa for a massage for example - what is the real cost to Celebrity??? Perhaps someone would upgrade their internet package - what is the real cost to Celebrity??? I would venture the cost is much less than the dollar amount of the NROBC given. 

Yes, Silversea made changes in advance and then offered compensation, around $8,000 for me, to be applied to a future booking because of the changes. Other generous options were also offered if I did not want to sail because of the changes. They could have informed me of the changes without any compensation offered and I could decide to sail or cancel for the usual $250 fee that can be applied to a future sailing. The point is Silversea offered compensation that they were under no obligation to give.

The Millennium example was over the top in compensation. We really enjoyed the cruise because of the way Celebrity up the onboard entertainment and gave free daily tours. We were not bussed to our final destination. They offered free flights home or a flight/first class train to Venice. 100% refund of the cruise fare was given, as expected, because they did not fulfill their obligation. The compensation in the form of a FCC was not expected. The FCC was 100% of the cost of the cruise which was over $20,000 for me. The point is that Celebrity offered compensation that they were under no obligation to give. 

The attached article says 50% FCC for the June 30 sailing but Celebrity increased it to 100%. The passengers on the following cruise received their money back as expected but also 100% FCC that Celebrity had no obligation to give.

Damage to Celebrity Millennium forces cancellation of sailings: Travel Weekly.pdf 1.14 MB · 3 downloads

We will have to agree to disagree. 

• Thanks 2

If ever I am sailing toward unspeakable terrorist horrors and the captain foolishly shields me by changing course, I too will ask, no DEMAND unspecified compensation for interrupting my scheduled pleasures.  After all, social justice warriors must defend our virtues.

• Haha 4

14 minutes ago, AlteredFate said:

If ever I am sailing toward unspeakable terrorist horrors and the captain foolishly shields me by changing course, I too will ask, no DEMAND unspecified compensation for interrupting my scheduled pleasures.  After all, social justice warriors must defend our virtues.

Don’t worry the captain wouldn’t do anything to shield you , he is more worried about the billion dollar ship he is in charger of sailing 😁

56 minutes ago, AlteredFate said:

No one wants to sail into danger!

Houtis are out there!

1 hour ago, mayleeman said:

@billc23 @the penguins  Compensation for early termination due to mechanical failure is specifically required under 7(e) of the Celebrity Cruise Contract. (I only checked the US version. There may be other clauses for booking from elsewhere.)

Hi

I was on a Marella ship in October when the ship lost all power leaving Gib due to fault in fuel line to a generator,,,,,this made us miss the next port Cadiz.

All passengers recd £150 each in OBC as compensation for missing the call into Cadiz.

8 hours ago, mayleeman said:

@billc23 @the penguins  Compensation for early termination due to mechanical failure is specifically required under 7(e) of the Celebrity Cruise Contract. (I only checked the US version. There may be other clauses for booking from elsewhere.)

Yes it is required. That is why I pointed out the cruise lines going above and beyond what they were required to do. On the other hand I was on a Royal ship in 2022 on an Alaska sailing with the grand kids and we had the Endicott Arm  part of the cruise canceled because a mechanical problem with the propulsion system. This was known before we set sail. We had 2 mid range suites and were given $50 per room as NR OBC. Feel good compensation I guess, but nothing like the other examples I gave. 

I guess I must be really, really old or really, really stupid!

I don't expect money for "inconvenience". I'm on vacation! If we need to miss a port due to unforeseen circumstances, fine.....I'm on vacation and I won't stress over it! I will enjoy my vacation and will happily make another vacation to see what I missed.

Cruise ships are like airplanes. They have a tight schedule and any mechanical issues have to be dealt with promptly or "heads are gonna roll". Some issues can be resolved quickly, some not so much. Would you prefer your entire cruise be cancelled due to a few barnacles and get your money back or would you prefer to go on vacation, enjoy your time away, see some nice things and go home refreshed?

The cruise lines have a vested interest in making sure you have a great vacation....their livelihood depends on that.....but....ship happens! Wind makes tendering impossible, supply chain issues make your preferred choice of wine unavailable for the cruise, gasp, WAR breaks out....whatever it is.....the cruise lines try HARD to make your vacation money go as far as it can!

BUT....and here's the caveat......when ship happens.....why do we expect....no.....DEMAND that we get money for the "inconvenience"? Why can't we understand that nothing is 100% and go with the flow? Yes, you had your heart set on seeing X, Y, or Z.....but is it possible to enjoy what you have and say, "this gives me a great reason to plan another wonderful vacation"?

I truly fail to see why we are so gimme, gimme, gimme any more. 🥺

Good will gesture, whatever....have you ever owned/managed a business and tried to make everyone happy? Not gonna happen! Be happy, go with the flow.....enjoy life and quit expecting life to be perfect.

</rant>

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2