View From the Bridge

swjumbo

I think it isnt merging as much as cross marketing. Doesn’t hurt to put it out there in case there is crossover of folks who are interested in a huge new gigantic ship. Worst thing that comes from it is no one clicks on it so no downside to it.

On 12/1/2023 at 7:02 AM, hcat said:

Continued blending and intermixing of the two Cruiselines....thus not interested!

Isn't  ICON a huge ship? .too many of those already jamming up ports!

I couldn't agree more. The continued release of bigger and bigger ships is destroying the experience in many ports, as well as causing ports to prohibit ships completely.  Where will it end?!?? And it's not just ports. Was just at FLL on Sunday morning after disembarkation.  It was a nightmare of crowding.  I know travel in general is up but i have to think it had a lot to do with the many large ships in port that morning.  The United lounge literally had every single seat filled. Not to mention the huge increase in hotel costs and crowds anywhere near the port. The nice, relaxing cruise experience that kept me loyal for 30+ years is no more. I have to think this build more and more huge ships strategy bubble will have to burst at some point. Is it just me?

1 minute ago, phoenix_dream said:

Is it just me?

No.  On our last Eastern Med cruise it was bus after bus after bus on the excursions.  Not only from our ship but many others.  Some of the destinations are small and they are over capacity with cruisers.

8 minutes ago, phoenix_dream said:

Was just at FLL on Sunday morning after disembarkation.  It was a nightmare of crowding. 

To be fair FLL has been a nightmare on cruise days for many years.  I can remember a time about a decade ago that was so bad I hoped I never had to fly in or out of FLL again.  We returned in 2022 to rent a car from there after a cruise and it was just as bad.  The airport just isn't set up for the volume of people that regularly go in and out of there.

11 minutes ago, phoenix_dream said:

Not to mention the huge increase in hotel costs

I'm not finding hotel costs more expensive around cruise ports on cruise day than they are in general everywhere.  Hotel prices have skyrocketed everywhere.  My favorite hotels along the gulf have priced us out of them even on off-season.   That said, I've come across a couple deals in the last months so I'm really hoping that is a sign things are leveling off a bit.  I have to believe that the travel craze from being pent up during the pandemic is going to level off.

Will they continue making the huge ships?  In my opinion, yes.  A lot of people actually prefer them because of how much they offer in terms of entertainment and activities and they have to be more cost effective for the cruise line.  I think they will get to a point where they can't get any bigger though and I hope we are reaching that point already.

I also think there will still be a market for the smaller ships that can get to more ports and provide a more relaxing experience but you may have to pay a premium for that experience.  I really hope Holland and Celebrity stay in this mid-ship size and don't follow Princess with their new Sun Princess.