“LIVE” from Apex, December 2nd-First Celeb to the Carib Sailing!

niksmom630

5 minutes ago, Crazy planning mom said:

Beautiful photos.  Why was menu disappointing?  Lack of choices?  How was the taste?

I’ve never had a “formal”  night (granted the majority have been on Royal) that didn’t have either beef tenderloin or a shellfish/lobster entree….steak Diane was not good . There was a last minute “chef special” added to the menu which was a scampi, with pasta. It contained  4 small shell on shrimp. IMG_6295.thumb.png.633aafd80d502e9170f00410d918762a.png

day 1-2 observation’s….

the food in the Oceanview cafe is far superior to the offerings in RC’s windjammer, quality, options  and taste. 👍

entertainment thus far as been kind of a mixed bag. It’s only day 2, but the options have been kind of limited. Tonight’s karaoke event had two volunteers. The music options have leaned towards the “sleepy”side. No judgement there, but frankly I don’t need much help falling asleep these days 😂 

I know there’s also a lot of opinions out there about the infinite balconies.  I’m actually a fan. I like the feeling of extra space in the cabin. And you can easily open the window… close the bifold room divider, and it preserves the room AC  for quite awhile … 👍

have encountered SEVERAL guest passengers at the bar(s) who feel

the need to say they were NEXT  in line for a drink…literally encountered a guy pounding his fist at the pool bar demanding his place in line . The servers are doing their best.  They don’t know who’s next. So they ask. Only to be berated by the passenger who wants their drink. Not cool. 👎

if you aren’t in “select”  dining, there are lines outside every dining room at 5:15. We just walk in. Can’t comment on wait time, but if it’s anything like MTD on Royal, gotta go with 👎

the crew on this ship is is just amazing. Patient, kind, and welcoming. Encountered a gentleman this morning in the Oceanview cafe asking a server why the ship was rocking  so much and why the captain wasn’t deploying the stabilizers. 🤦🏼‍♀️ 

• Like 2

Last nights addition to our cabin. I’ll take this over a towel animal any day 🌹

note that the coordinating travel mug was a gift shop purchase, and not included with the flower delivery! 

IMG_6298.thumb.jpeg.c218277162c32861770b605c44788f8f.jpeg

the Solarium offerings in the morning. There is a pretty good sized seating area, and there are also some healthy lunch/mid day offerings, although I saw more people walking there with burgers and fries from the pool area grill which is located just outside the Solarium 😉

IMG_6299.thumb.jpeg.302c01c87152106ac489c975ea9152fa.jpeg

IMG_6300.thumb.jpeg.2958c639efc90c6ce04f45036edefebc.jpeg

I heard someone asking if the juices and smoothies were included in the premium beverage package and apparently they are. 

IMG_6301.thumb.jpeg.4c2f309b983a0280383ccec63a2aedca.jpeg

IMG_6305.thumb.jpeg.b46f142683794a2b23e1f69b7cb39211.jpeg

• Like 7

On 12/1/2023 at 3:40 PM, niksmom630 said:

Our go to hotel in FFL has primarily been the Hilton Fort Lauderdale Marina, but my SIL has stayed at the Riverside Hotel on Los Olas and recommended it. 

Their room is apparently quite nice and has a balcony and view of the water. Ours has a window and view of the parking lot. 😜 

the bathroom is….. well akin to a service station, but with a shower. Room aside, not sure I’d recommend this place for a few reasons. 

Some pluses but mostly minuses….

IMG_6229.thumb.jpeg.46853dcab6b2a5d817d9ba88e29ce2ae.jpeg

sadly, the “wall conditioner” was not working, so we were assigned another room. 

IMG_6230.thumb.jpeg.9fb7657456d890517950f644cd404539.jpeg

The new king room is even smaller than the last, with an oddly shaped bathroom with a door that opens out into the room. I’m 5 feet tall and when seated on the commode, my knees are barely 2 inches from the wall. No more room photos. It’s too depressing. I’ve settled in by the pool, which incidentally is across the street. Strike 2. 

On 12/2/2023 at 9:28 AM, niksmom630 said:

Breakfast was moderately priced by Fort Lauderdale standards

IMG_6250.thumb.jpeg.3f68118ad6cb4d3e7fef80f7fa156396.jpeg

way too much food….😜

IMG_6249.thumb.jpeg.d3660ad8a9937b88b99d85a7cdfe1e04.jpeg

spied with my little eye an Italian bakery across the street from the restaurant…

IMG_6248.thumb.jpeg.e9bbe45b1e23fe209412e1b3fd46904b.jpeg

We loved the Riverside Hotel!  It is a historic hotel with the best location on Los Olas Blvd.  If you want a "fancier" room.  Book the new wing and upgrade- but for a night or two no problem with the cost effective older building.  We enjoyed the restaurant in the hotel for people watching on Los Olas.  The Boat house IMO was also excellent- Have stayed their three times, and will again in January.  

We also sailed on the Edge.  Really enjoyed it, but the Apex even better!  Did a b/2/b on her in a sky suite- the suite lounge and deck and wonderful!  Our January cruise will be on the Silhouette, an older ship- but redone and we enjoy the amenities of the ship.

Enjoy your cruise- thanks for sharing.

Edited by Cruise a holic
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, niksmom630 said:

I know there’s also a lot of opinions out there about the infinite balconies.  I’m actually a fan. I like the feeling of extra space in the cabin. And you can easily open the window… close the bifold room divider, and it preserves the room AC  for quite awhile … 👍

It's just not a "feeling" of extra space.  It is actual extra space!

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, CruiseRQA said:

It's just not a "feeling" of extra space.  It is actual extra space!

I agree- in fact I felt clostrophobic in the Infinite balcony.  Sometimes you cannot open the window and if you sit and aren't tall their is an obstruction looking out-  Much prefer a true balcony- Unfortunately RC's newest ship also has infinite balcony cabins- will sail in a suite without the infinte balcony- really a window.

Edited by Cruise a holic

On 12/2/2023 at 2:51 PM, billc23 said:

Totally different than the rooms we have stayed in at the Riverside. The tower section is new but I prefer the original hotel. If you are in the tower when you come down the elevators you are at the back of the hotel from my perspective. If you had to cross the street to the restaurant you exited from the back.  The front is on Los Olas as is the restaurant and bar. I did not realize that the rooms varied so much but the location can't be beat.

Agree.  I've stayed at the Riverside Hotel several times...never had a bad room.  And the location is what makes it very special.

• Thanks 1

On 12/2/2023 at 3:51 PM, niksmom630 said:

My bid fell flat 🙃 IMG_6227.thumb.jpeg.3a6ac6e09b6bd4b21de38e843109b2a3.jpeg

max bid for sunset suite and sunset sky suite. 🤷🏼‍♀️

So here we are for the week….

Curious...when did you learn your moveup bid was rejected?

2 hours ago, niksmom630 said:

I heard someone asking if the juices and smoothies were included in the premium beverage package and apparently they are. 

Yes, I drink about one smoothie a day or every other day every cruise.  

I do not like them as they normally come.  I also ask that they add ice to mine as I prefer my drinks colder than these normally come.  If they tell me they can't do it, then I just go over to the ice machine and add ice to my cup.  (Same thing applies to the smoothies at the Elite breakfast) 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, hcat said:

great job with pics and commentary..nice and concise style.

How much were the Celeb logo mugs?

@hcat thanks! The mugs were $20. DH thought they were more expensive than the ones we usually purchase, but I like a travel mug for coffee in the mornings to keep it hot longer. We purchase them on most sailings, sometimes they get abandoned if there’s little space left in the luggage, but I’ll be keeping these. Better quality than the plastic exterior insulated mugs we normally get from Royal 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, raudacruise said:

I’ve maintained a perfect record of never winning a MoveUp bid.  Some bids were cheapo, some were (I thought) very generous.  Have always received my “Get lost, loser!” emails two days before sailing.

For suites, me too.  I did get one low bid from Concierge to Aqua last year, but there were lots of Aqua rooms open.

• Like 1

Hope your cruise continues to go well.

As I am reading into it, you booked with early select dining and when you boarded found you were assigned the Tuscan dining room - same time and table - each day (effectively the old traditional setup).  Am I correct in this?  There are forums all over this site saying they don't do this on E class anymore and everything becomes anytime dining.

I am on this same itinerary Jan. 26 with early select dining and am hoping for the traditional dining experience.

Happy sailing.

2 hours ago, Al Aboard said:

Hope your cruise continues to go well.

As I am reading into it, you booked with early select dining and when you boarded found you were assigned the Tuscan dining room - same time and table - each day (effectively the old traditional setup).  Am I correct in this?  There are forums all over this site saying they don't do this on E class anymore and everything becomes anytime dining.

I am on this same itinerary Jan. 26 with early select dining and am hoping for the traditional dining experience.

Happy sailing.

You are correct. We are in Tuscan each night at 5:15.   It is traditional dining, same table each night. 

3 hours ago, schooner_Drinker said:

I will be on Sky soon 

Thanks for the pic 😉

Following along 

Nancy 🍹 have a few for me 

Do you have anything planned for Taino Bay in Puerto Plata 

If not I will message you a 💯 tip

Enjoy 🚢 

thanks, Nancy! No plans there, we will def check into any suggestions 😉

• Like 1