The Startling Economics of the World’s Largest Cruise Ship

luvtoride

On 12/1/2023 at 2:14 PM, OnTheJourney said:

Amazing for sure, and neat article. Somehow, though, I have zero interest in sailing on that big a ship. Largest I've ever been on is the Adventure. I wouldn't mind trying Oasis class at least once I suppose.

We did the new, bigger Regal Princess in 2019

Then we did a Thanksgiving cruise last month on Oasis class. I’m glad we did it but we had to travel when our daughter and son-in-law could so that meant a very crowded ship with lots of kids of all ages. 

We would like to try Oasis class again. 

8 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

I think in general if someone really wants to feel connected to and see the ocean, they are likely to book cruises on smaller, older oceans.

I agree with this. In my opinion, the smaller ships provide more views of the ocean. 

On 12/2/2023 at 5:33 PM, KBS1607 said:

a very crowded ship with lots of kids of all ages. 

Both are things I don't miss when on Viking.

On 12/2/2023 at 7:20 PM, time4u2go said:

the smaller ships provide more views of the ocean. 

Along those same lines, I think it's sad how Celebrity took away the chance for everyone but suite guests to access the front of the ship due to it now being the "retreat".

Edited by OnTheJourney
  • Like 1

On 12/2/2023 at 8:21 AM, BecciBoo said:

I take real exception to that statement.  Big Blue is always my first reason for cruising and...itineraries are almost all the same for any class.  But we do enjoy the latest innovations on the new ships.  I try hard never to make such exclusive or absolute statements.  Didn't you mean to say that YOU wouldn't be flocking to it?

Itineraries are not almost the same for any class. Not even close. These larger ships are very limited in the ports they can visit.

I disagree, they visit most islands in the Caribbean and the common ports in the Med.  "Not even close"....seriously?  Just like every other ship.  The only one I've noticed they do not is Belize, very shallow there and no pier.

BTW, the word "almost" in English means there may be exceptions.

Edited by BecciBoo

2 hours ago, Denversail said:

Itineraries are not almost the same for any class. Not even close. These larger ships are very limited in the ports they can visit.

Agreed.  There's many ports on New England and Alaskan cruises that the bigger ships can't go to, besides a lot in the Caribbean, Europe, and Asia.

Edited by time4u2go

1 hour ago, BecciBoo said:

I disagree, they visit most islands in the Caribbean and the common ports in the Med.  "Not even close"....seriously?  Just like every other ship.  The only one I've noticed they do not is Belize, very shallow there and no pier.

BTW, the word "almost" in English means there may be exceptions.

It is okay to just disagree. No need to add the rude comment at the end. Have a great day.

• Like 1

On 12/2/2023 at 11:48 AM, OnTheJourney said:

I'm willing to try it, if one of the big ships comes into Bayonne or Baltimore. 

Symphony will be sailing out of Cape Liberty in 2024. We said for years we'd never sail anything bigger than Freedom class because of crowds. Finally tried Allure in 2020 before covid and LOVED it. Oasis is now our preferred ship class. Itineraries are much better on smaller ships though so if we are looking to visit other places we'd go with a smaller ship.

• Like 2

On 12/2/2023 at 6:20 PM, firefly333 said:

So buy rcl stock. These prices people are paying can only make rcl more $$$. Load up the boat. I've been trading in and out. Back in. 

If you cant stand the price increases, win win. 

$114.21 today. :classic_smile:

On 12/2/2023 at 9:20 PM, firefly333 said:

So buy rcl stock. These prices people are paying can only make rcl more $$$. Load up the boat. I've been trading in and out. Back in. 

If you cant stand the price increases, win win. 

But, Royal unlike Carnival, stopped paying a stock dividend! 

34 minutes ago, BecciBoo said:

I consider it to be clarification not rude at all.

I thought it was rude. I also don’t think it is something you would say to some one face to face within the conversation that was taking place. I think the internet veil is something we should all work on. I know it is something I’ve had to consider and improve on. Have a good night.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, BecciBoo said:

I've been looking at Youtube reviews since she moved to Texas....how'd you like her?

Oh I didn’t know she was in TX!  That’s exciting. We loved her. It helped that it was my dream cruise (Baltic) and our son-in-law’s first cruise.

The problem we have is Princess taking the chairs out of the cabin. It looks like you need a mini-suite to get the sofa we had on Royal. That’s a drawback for me. Also, the balconies are cantilevered which leave some really exposed to the sun. Since I’m basically a vampire that’s a drawback, too, especially on a Caribbean itinerary. 

She had the Medallion which is wonderful. Although once the medallion showed that I was in some random cabin and freaked my husband out because I get lost a lot. 

Edited by KBS1607

12 hours ago, Denversail said:

I think the internet veil is something we should all work on.

I think you are right about THAT...but I'd have said that to you right in front of you, I said "almost" and I meant "not all".  Sorry you choose to take it that way.  IMHO, most ships out of Florida and Texas do the exact same ports.  I stand by that as I went to RCCL to check it out, they include Europe.  The compatibility issues have been solved by most ports.  The real issue is, why do you feel the need to keep trying to correct me?

Edited by BecciBoo

1 hour ago, BecciBoo said:

I think you are right about THAT...but I'd have said that to you right in front of you, I said "almost" and I meant "not all".  Sorry you choose to take it that way.  IMHO, most ships out of Florida and Texas do the exact same ports.  I stand by that as I went to RCCL to check it out, they include Europe.  The compatibility issues have been solved by most ports.  The real issue is, why do you feel the need to keep trying to correct me?

I'm not trying to correct you. You expressed an opinion and I expressed a different one.