Brazil evisa

safarijm

I don't know.  There is something awfully discomfiting about all of this.  Can someone from Regent speak to the Brazil e-visa requirements, please?  We are past final payment for our March 2024 cruise, but I feel very uncomfortable with all of this.  Very uncomfortable.

Someone please explain to me: I understand you need to provide a bank statement.  Do you also need to provide a credit card statement?  What else do you need to provide?  I know you need to provide a passport type photo (not sure how to upload that).  I guess you also need to provide proof of vaccination?  How do you provide this?  Photograph your vaccination card?  It's all a bit much.

Well, here's where it gets interesting. One of the required documents is a copy of the round trip flight itinerary.  We are booked via Regent Air, and therefore, while we know the flights that we have (one way to Rio on AA), and I think I may be able to upload those (maybe, heck, I am over 50, and my technical skills are so-so), I cannot see the flights back from Europe to the US.  I have tried on the LH website, and they say I have to try through my TA.  

I am going to have to call the Brazilian consulate on Monday to figure this out.  They really, really are not making this. easy.  

I thought this would be like getting the Argentina e-visa ten years ago: go on the website, input your name, passport information,  and e-mail address, pay for the visa with a credit card, and print out your visa, which was good for ten years.  This?  This is insane.  

My husband really, really wants to go to Brazil.  I was never that into it.  If Brazil is making travel to their country this difficult and intrusive, I really don't want to go.  Like I said, I will call the consulate tomorrow, but if this procedure is going to require calling up our banker so that we can set up a new bank account with $2,000 in it (for safety's sake), then calling up a tech consultant to upload all of this information into the Brazilian website, my next call will be to Regent to ask if we can. get a FCC rather than take this cruise.  When we reserved this cruise, this e-visa was not in place.  This is not something we had any way of foreseeing.  Is this really worth the hassle, stress, etc.?

We are booked in March from Rio to Lisbon. We have several stops in Brazilian ports. To date, we have not been notified by Regent that a special Visa was required. Have all of you been notified of this requirement?

47 minutes ago, Steve Q said:

We are booked in March from Rio to Lisbon. We have several stops in Brazilian ports. To date, we have not been notified by Regent that a special Visa was required. Have all of you been notified of this requirement?

We are booked on the same cruise.  We have not been notified by Regent that the visa was required, either, but apparently, it is.  And it is a doozy.  I would love to know what is going to happen, because I honestly don't know whether travelers of Regent's demographic are going to be readily able to upload all of this information on the internet.  Like I said, DH and I looked at the website and realized n order to do this we need to hire a trusted tech consultant.  It's ridiculous.

I will probably get flamed for this post but here goes anyway.

The US is probably one of the most unfriendly countries to visit in terms of obtaining visas and convoluted entry requirements.

There is an element of tit-for-tat here: you make it difficult for our citizens to visit you, we shall make it difficult for your citizens to visit us.

I seem to recall that Brazil was charging US passport holders an exit fee?

Edited by SteveH2508
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, SteveH2508 said:

I will probably get flamed for this post but here goes anyway.

The US is probably one of the most unfriendly countries to visit in terms of obtaining visas and convoluted entry requirements.

There is an element of tit-for-tat here: you make it difficult for our citizens to visit you, we shall make it difficult for your citizens to visit us.

I seem to recall that Brazil was charging US passport holders an exit fee?

I don't disagree with you.  However, the website outlining the actual visa requirements went live only in the last few days.  Until then, no one had any way of knowing just how intrusive and onerous this process would really be.  Add to that the fact that we booked this cruise a couple of YEARS ago, and final payment was due in what, October?  Had we known that Brazil was going to want to know the ins and outs of our finances, including our bank account numbers, there was no way we would have booked this cruise.  As it is, the only way to salvage it is to open a new bank account and hire a tech advisor to help us upload all of this information for us.  If it is ever even going to work, given that we are on a Transatlantic cruise, and we don't have round-trip airline tickets, as the computerized system requires.  Everyone on our Transatlantic cruise (and every Transatlantic cruise) may very well be in a bind.  Something Regent needs to figure out, because an automated system is not built to comprehend the situation.

• Like 1

@ysolde I do sympathise as being Australian we had to apply for a Chilean Visa for our cruise at the start of the year and it was as onerous as what you are dealing with. We also had to have proof we were financial so we scanned a recent bank statement from one account. Had to do a passport photo etc. The hardest part was it took many weeks and I had to make a few calls to their consulate. I live on the West coast of Australia and their consulates are on the East coast.

I'm glad we persevered though as Chile was worth it. We also visited Brazil and it was even better than Chile. 

3 hours ago, frantic36 said:

@ysolde I do sympathise as being Australian we had to apply for a Chilean Visa for our cruise at the start of the year and it was as onerous as what you are dealing with. We also had to have proof we were financial so we scanned a recent bank statement from one account. Had to do a passport photo etc. The hardest part was it took many weeks and I had to make a few calls to their consulate. I live on the West coast of Australia and their consulates are on the East coast.

I'm glad we persevered though as Chile was worth it. We also visited Brazil and it was even better than Chile.

My main concern right now is that the automated system for the visa requires proof of a round-trip ticket to Brazil.  We are going on a Transatlantic cruise and therefore will not have a round-trip ticket.  I don't think the automated system is prepared to process a one-way ticket to Brazil and an exit from Brazil via a cruise ship.  Thus, I don't think the system will issue us a visa.

I am going to call the consulate tomorrow, but I don't know that the system, at this early date, is equipped to handle this type of issues on-line.  We may need to go to the nearest Brazilian consulate to resolve it in person.  There seems to be a Brazilian consulate here in Scottsdale.  We'll see if they are equipped to handle this issue.  Otherwise, we may have to make an appointment to go to Los Angeles to resolve it.

1 minute ago, ysolde said:

I am going to call the consulate tomorrow, but I don't know that the system, at this early date, is equipped to handle this type of issues on-line.  We may need to go to the nearest Brazilian consulate to resolve it in person.  There seems to be a Brazilian consulate here in Scottsdale.  We'll see if they are equipped to handle this issue.  Otherwise, we may have to make an appointment to go to Los Angeles to resolve it.

I hope the phone call will be enough. For our Chilean one as long as we had a date a ship itinerary that showed arrival and departure dates that was good enough. Good Luck.🤞

7 minutes ago, frantic36 said:

I hope the phone call will be enough. For our Chilean one as long as we had a date a ship itinerary that showed arrival and departure dates that was good enough. Good Luck.🤞

The website indicates they want you to upload all these documents. We need to hire someone to do that for us, as neither one of us is technically savvy enough to do all that on our own.  At some point, we are going to have to decide when the stress and expense of all of this is enough and just cancel the damn cruise.  FTR, I am in a wheelchair and wonderful though Brazil may be, none of the excursions there are available to me, so I will be spending the Brazil portion of the trip on board the ship.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, jeb_bud said:

Are you sure they require your bank account number or will your name and number suffice?  If you have children they could probably provide the necessary tech support. 

They require you to upload a copy of your bank account statement, which contains your bank account number (among other personal data).

We don't have children.

19 hours ago, ysolde said:

The website indicates they want you to upload all these documents. We need to hire someone to do that for us, as neither one of us is technically savvy enough to do all that on our own.  At some point, we are going to have to decide when the stress and expense of all of this is enough and just cancel the damn cruise.  FTR, I am in a wheelchair and wonderful though Brazil may be, none of the excursions there are available to me, so I will be spending the Brazil portion of the trip on board the ship.

I have a regular visa that I obtained a few years ago and I don’t remember sending a bank statement. Have you thought about using a visa service? It is a little more expensive, but you just overnight mail the requested documents (the documents may be different than the ones required for the evisa) and the service expedites the visa and mails it back to you. 

20 minutes ago, lisajltx said:

I have a regular visa that I obtained a few years ago and I don’t remember sending a bank statement. Have you thought about using a visa service? It is a little more expensive, but you just overnight mail the requested documents (the documents may be different than the ones required for the evisa) and the service expedites the visa and mails it back to you. 

That sounds like a reasonable idea.  I have been trying to get through to the consulate in LA for over an hour (the phone number for the consulate in Phoenix/Scottsdale does not go through, for some reason) and no one answers.  

I think a visa service may be the way to go.  This whole thing is ridiculous.  Gah!  Why couldn't we book a Europe cruise like everyone else?