Solo Travel on Windstar

LewiLewi

On our Star Pride cruise, a couple of weeks ago, we noticed some solo travellers appeared to have met informally....or it may have been through a get together, we don't know for sure. On one evening we noticed the entertainment manager hosting them for dinner, which we thought was a lovely touch from her. They were located right next to our table, no idea if it was a one-off arrangement but we certainly saw those solo travellers together a few times including once off the ship. 

Edited by hamrag

I sailed by myself last spring.  I think there was one other solo passenger.  There were no organized programs for singles on this cruise.  It was actually difficult sometimes, and I missed sailing with a friend or family member, but I still had a good time.

• 3 months later...

Hope it's ok to resurrect this post! I'm considering a cruise on a motor yacht this summer, travelling as a solo. I've sailed once before solo but on a large ship where I was fairly invisible, which is just how I like it! I like being around people but I'm quite (ok, very!) introverted and don't feel terribly comfortable with someone randomly striking up a conversation or, worse still, feeling sorry for me and trying to take me under their wing! I had one experience of this on my last cruise (Princess) where a lady at the table next to me just launched into a conversation at dinner time without so much as an introduction and it kind of ruined the whole meal for me. I know you're probably thinking 'why does he go on a cruise then?!', but I really just enjoy being on the sea reading books and having quiet meals. So my question is... will I stick out like a sore thumb on WS if I just bimble along doing my own thing?

From my earlier post I was on the Motor Yacht Star Pride thru Panama Canal in March, they did have a meet and greet the first night for the solo passengers and there were 8 of us who attended. I am very much like you and enjoy quiet meals and reading and viewing the water.  The redesigned star pride has the grill on upper deck near the bar and is open for all meals and is easy to use for a meal without dressing up or dealing with crowds.  I also used the room service one night when I just wanted to be in my room and they took my order and quickly brought my entire order and was so relaxing. I ate dinner one night in Amphora dining room with a couple I met the first day and enjoyed dinner with them just do not care to sit at a table with 6-8 others for dinner. I have enjoyed being solo on Windstar and I think you will have no problem fitting as from what you described, enjoy your cruise.

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Doh15 said:

I would think you could also ask to sit by yourself in Amphora if you wanted.

36 minutes ago, Doh15 said:

I would think you could also ask to sit by yourself in Amphora if you wanted.

Yes you can, we always ask to sit alone. After 2 nights the mailer d knows. It is not like we are not social we simply like each other after 51 years of marriage. We would never sit with anyone we did not know simply the way we are. We have on many occasions eaten with people we meet but we love being alone together. Never any pressure to socialize on the ship. Happy Sailing

When we were on the Star Breeze in Alaska last summer, there were a small number of solo passengers on board, one of whom became our trivia partner.  (She walked into the first trivia session, said "I need a team" and we said "We need an extra" and that was that!)  We became friendly with her and had dinner with her one evening.  She mentioned that she'd informally become friendly with some of the other solos and had met them for drinks, joined them on excursions, etc.

Windstar passengers are a very friendly lot and it's very easy to meet people on the small ships.

• Like 1

If you're friendly and take the initiative, WS folk tend to be very friendly.  or if you wish, they'll leave you alone.  We've found that a great way to meet people is to join the jigsaw crowd.