Thoughts, impressions, and observations for the World Cruise.

28 minutes ago, barbeyg said:

We probably have to wait and see what happens.  Maybe RCI is doing the same before making a decision.  A lot of logistics go into planning this, and RCI has discovered that short cruises have a really nice profit margin for the company (less than 7 day cruises).

I do know that, from time to time, someone interested in a long cruise covering many ports can cobble together a really nice long repositioning cruise.  May not cover as much as this one, but an adventure can still be had.

I've broken down a world cruise into 7 segments.  I'm NOT taking them consecutively.  They will be taken over a span of many, many years. 

Last year was segment 1 - TA from Barcelona to FL (where I met Pat and Bucky in the SL every night).  This year I skipped segment 2 and went straight to segment 3 since my mom wanted to do CA to HI.  Next year is segment 2 - (Panama Canal) FL to CA.  So segment 4 is a partial TP - HI to Australia.  Segment 5 is Australia to Indonesia.  Segment 6 is Indonesia to Dubai and Segment 7 is Dubai to Barcelona.  They won't be all on RCI (last year's segment 3 was on the Royal Princess). 

We want to make sure we can afford a suite (or 1 balcony cabin for each of us individually) in each segment and that is easier financially doing them piecemeal than 1 big world cruise.  We're also still working so we can only afford 2.5 - 3 weeks of vacation and each segment works within that time frame.  We also don't have a ton of money, but enough to enable us to travel once a year on a big trip in a comfortable manner. 

Plus, there are other trips we want to take besides cruising.  Right now I'm working on a trans-Canada road trip for 2026 with my roommate, my mom and my aunt.  It will be a 3 week trip and has many logistical hurdles, the least of which is that my mom and my aunt will be in their 80s and I need to keep in mind that both of them use walkers.  I'm loving every minute of planning it though ;o)

So I do love the idea of a world cruise and am following several of the WCers on FB and YT.  I'm enjoying it dreaming I was there, too, but will use it as a learning experience for my future segment planning.  

• Like 16

My DH has always loved the idea of a world cruise (so have I really) but when push comes to shove and you look at all the logistics and all the missed family events, we'd rather cruise several times a year instead.    Princess has done world cruises for years and as far as I know they have always broken them into segments as well.  It's not a new concept, but Royal has turned it into a once in a lifetime event, not just for the cruisers, but for the cruise line itself.   I think if they do this again, it will be several years from now.  I can't imagine the logistics of putting the entire thing together-port calls, food, alcohol, fuel, etc all have to be pre-arranged and deliveries timed to match.  Not to mention all the logistics for the cruisers themselves.  If anyone watches Parodeejay on YT, they cruise a lot of the year and do great videos, but they have said many times that they are always home for holidays and family events.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, barbeyg said:

That’s how I read it too. 🙂  I read it as some were ready to move on to a new chapter. 🤷🏻‍♀️

This is not the same, but we saved a year’s worth of living expenses and sold our home, moved to TN with no job prospects at all.  Just knew we would rent for a year and work it out.  18 years later, our current (retirement) home is paid for, we retire next spring from good jobs, and have no regrets on our adventure. 🤷🏻‍♀️ We knew this was what we wanted to do.  Some thought we were crazy, but everyone’s “comfort zone” is different. 🙂

Cheers to the UWC cruisers on their adventure! May it be everything you hoped for!! 😁

I know several people who have done what you did, but those on the WC are spending a lot more than 9 months of living expenses to go than they would to just up and move somewhere new.  What you did has been done by several people we know and moving to a new location and finding jobs with money in the bank to live on isn't crazy at all.  And, I don't think anyone doing the WC is crazy no matter how they paid for it.  I'm just curious as what those who did sell everything will do when this whirlwind is over.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jldev said:

I never thought about doing a round the world cruise until RC brought out this one. And, as time got closer to the cruise and I started following some people who are doing it, I've become fascinated so it's now on my travel dream bucketlist. We'd only be able to afford it if we sold our family home and downsized but, as our youngest daughter will still be coming home during her university holidays for a few more years, we are not ready to do that yet. But it's been a lovely idea to dream about for now 💕

However I recently heard and read opinions that RC will not do another world cruise so, if true, thats disappointing. Does any one know why they wouldn't be doing another one? Given this cruise hsd only just started, what has gone wrong to make them not want to repeat it?  Is it not profitable for them? 

My guess would be that the ship did not sell as well as RCI would have liked and at the prices that they wanted. So they had to start selling segments and, even then, people could buy all 4 segments for much less than those who bought the WC in its entirety. It could well be that it would be better financially in the long run for RCI to use the ship to ferry people between Miami and Coco Cay. Only RCI knows the answer.

I can also imagine that the logistics of entering so many different countries is a nightmare compared to embarking a typical Caribbean cruise.

• Like 8

34 minutes ago, BND said:

My DH has always loved the idea of a world cruise (so have I really) but when push comes to shove and you look at all the logistics and all the missed family events, we'd rather cruise several times a year instead.  

That would by far be the biggest issue for me. There's no way I would choose to be away from family for such a long time. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, jldev said:

However I recently heard and read opinions that RC will not do another world cruise so, if true, thats disappointing.

There are several cruise lines that do world cruises every year, so don't scratch it off your bucket list just because RCL may never do one again.

• Like 5

15 hours ago, Oceansaway17 said:

As a virtual I thank you

I am excited for photos from New Year’s Eve in port

You are most welcome...and thanks!

Until I can figure out how to post photos, I am hoping my fellow WC will post some.  🙂  I know how to post when I have AT&T signal...but need to figure out how to do it when I don't have it.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, orville99 said:

There are several cruise lines that do world cruises every year, so don't scratch it off your bucket list just because RCL may never do one again.

What I would like to see Royal do is offer something to the equivalent of one of the 4 quarter segments…..for example a 40+ cruise to different places. A B2B2B2B that we can do now would never fly with my DH, but an interesting itinerary definitely would. 

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, island lady said:

You are most welcome...and thanks!

Until I can figure out how to post photos, I am hoping my fellow WC will post some.  🙂  I know how to post when I have AT&T signal...but need to figure out how to do it when I don't have it.  

If you have an iPhone just open the photo, choose the option to copy, then go to here and choose paste.

• Like 1

I think that HAL and the Cunard Queen ships have been doing WCs for years.

This WC is new for RCL and, really, out of the realm of their usual cruise itineraries as @Ocean Boy posted.

It could be a one and done for RCL as they tested the waters (no pun intended) to see if such a cruise would appeal to their usual customers.

It seems that RCL ‘s niche is focused on families with the innovations they have put on their ships-water slides, flowriders and promenades with all sorts 

of entertainment.

Financially, the bean counters at RCL may have realized that a WC cruise does not fit the RCL profile.

Of course, this WC will proceed, possibly as an experiment.

I think it will be interesting to read about the WC, with all the port stops and to read about the passengers’s experience on such an undertaking.

Bon Voyage to all on the WC!

For those who may be inspired to go on such a travel adventure, consider other cruise lines that do an annual WC.

MJ🙋🏻‍♀️

• Like 4

47 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

I can also imagine that the logistics of entering so many different countries is a nightmare compared to embarking a typical Caribbean cruise.

There is a company that specializes in arranges the necessary paperwork. I worked for a company that has customers worldwide, so we had people constantly traveling. and companies like that made all the necessary paperwork. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, lovesthebeach2 said:

If you have an iPhone just open the photo, choose the option to copy, then go to here and choose paste.

How I do this with my iPad (and my iPhone when I can get over the frustration of trying to type on a 2 inch keypad) is to key in what I want to post on CC and then click on the "choose files" link at the bottom of the screen and select the photos I want to post.

Capture.JPG

Just like this:

Capture.JPG

Edited by orville99

1 minute ago, orville99 said:

How I do this with my iPad (and my iPhone when I can get over the frustration of trying to type on a 2 inch keypad) is to key in what I want to post on CC and then click on the "choose files" link at the bottom of the screen and select the photos I want to post.

Capture.JPG

Your way is better!  But one question, when you're  posting multiple pics at the same time it’s possible to add a caption on each right?

13 hours ago, chrisb74 said:

You'd be surprised. There's at least 5 women in their 20's and 30s that i've seen on social media who are on the whole cruise.

In this age of influencers and digital workers its entirely possible to do a cruise like this and even have it pay for itself. 

I totally agree with you.  

All you have to do is get on the “wrong part” of Instagram (which could lead to Fans Only) and one can guess😉 how people pay for their Instagram lifestyles.  It makes a world cruise seem tame in comparison.  One can only hope that they save money for later in life, when they don’t want the same type of work schedule. 

Edit to add, never been to Fans Only and occasionally see the wrong side of Instagram.

Edited by A&L_Ont
  • Like 1

There were a couple Canadian girls a few years ago charged with drug smuggling on a multiple country/world cruise. It has happened before but and hopefully it doesn’t happen again. That said, people of all ages make decisions that they think/feel are the right ones. 

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/canadian-woman-cries-as-she-is-sentenced-in-16m-cocaine-cruise-seen-on-instagram/

9 hours ago, ReneeFLL said:

Some of the beds have been so hard we won't cruise without our Klymit pads. They are very sturdy since they’re made for camping.

https://klymit.gathroutdoors.com/collections/klymit-sleep-comforts

This is the one I have. It’s less than 2 pounds and packs up so small.

https://klymit.gathroutdoors.com/products/static-v-luxe-sleeping-pad?color=gray

Since they are smaller than my full size foam pad (and I had to trim that down to size also), my problem is Blanket hogging Bucky...he would most likely take half or all of my little camping type pad as well.  😄 

• Haha 9

9 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

There were a couple Canadian girls a few years ago charged with drug smuggling on a multiple country/world cruise. It has happened before but and hopefully it doesn’t happen again. That said, people of all ages make decisions that they think/feel are the right ones. 

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/canadian-woman-cries-as-she-is-sentenced-in-16m-cocaine-cruise-seen-on-instagram/

I had forgotten all about that, but yes I do remember reading about it..

13 hours ago, chrisb74 said:

I agree that 99.999% of people don't make much, but the reality is there are people earning 6 figures per month on social media. 

One woman i saw was 37, had both parents die of cancer at 65, had cancer markers and had a double mastectomy. She has decided retirement will never happen so just do retirement things now. You can't take it with you! 

Exactly!  And as I have mentioned in the past...."when is the last time you saw a hearse towing a U-Haul trailer?  😉   Indeed you can't take it with you.  😄 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, schooner_Drinker said:

Some people pay for enrichment and travel, rather than being more bothered about the items they own 

No one is wrong - whatever suit fits,

wear it well 

Nancy 

Good luck to them

Perfectly stated Nancy...thanks!  🙂 

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Mikew0805 said:

If I was of retirement age, that is exactly what I would do! I would take the opportunity to downsize completely, stockpile all the proceeds, and when the cruise is over... start fresh in a condo or very small home, with minimal maintenance and upkeep. Sounds perfect to me.

When we used to travel months at a time in our very comfy full size motor home, there were many other RVers that had sold most of their possessions (or boxed them up in rental storage), sold their house and vehicles, then hit the road full time in the RV.  There were many of them.  

We thought about it, but still wanted a house to return to when needed.  We simply downsized from the big house on the water, to our very comfy 2 bedroom/2 bath condo size home in a very safe gated community 5 years ago.  We sold the RV when our furry children passed away (they used to travel with us in the motor home), and are now gone most of the time instead doing cruising or other land based options.  Was one of our best decisions to down size...way less worries!  

• Like 19

11 hours ago, schooner_Drinker said:

Some people pay for enrichment and travel, rather than being more bothered about the items they own 

No one is wrong - whatever suit fits,

wear it well 

Nancy 

Good luck to them

That’s pretty much how I live.  I don’t care about “stuff” at all.  I would rather live my life thru my senses. I love to see the wonders of the world, I love to listen to the sound to the ocean, I love to taste food from all regions. 

I actually think it’s an exciting thing to sell your house, get rid of all the unimportant “stuff”, put the memories in storage and travel for as long as you like. I’m sure anyone that has done this has a plan for the future after they’ve had their fill of the world……

• Like 10

11 hours ago, BND said:

If they sold to pay for the cruise, what money would they use then?  I can't imagine telling family "I spent all my money on a cruise, can I live with you?".  I'm just trying to figure out.  I don't need "devils's advocates guessing.  It's a legitimate question when someone sells everything they own to go on a 9 month cruise.

All you will get is guessing, as no one knows the cruisers financial situations.  

11 hours ago, BND said:

Anyway, my real question from the beginning was what is their game plan and I'd love to see what those who did sell everything do when they return?  Just a simple question.

Maybe you want to ask that question here in approximately 200 - 250 days from now.  Some will know what they are doing and others might just wing it. Whatever their technique, it will reflect the way they have always lived their lifestyle prior to stepping foot on the ship.

• Like 8

14 minutes ago, island lady said:

Exactly!  And as I have mentioned in the past...."when is the last time you saw a hearse towing a U-Haul trailer?  😉   Indeed you can't take it with you.  😄 

You said it.  You have made the decisions that work for you. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Another_Critic said:

I don't understand why people are concerned with how people planned or paid for the WC.  If everyone followed the same path in life, it would be a boring world.

Perfectly stated!  And another quote I usually make:   "How boring it would be if we were all the same.  Would be like going into Baskin Robbins to find only one flavor available...Vanilla". 

Now me, I like Vanilla...but I want my Pistachio, Butter Pecan, and Peanut Butter cup chocolate too! 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2