Thoughts, impressions, and observations for the World Cruise.

24 minutes ago, ILCTCRUISER said:

It’s interesting that these balconies seem much more “open” to the public.  Might they have been renovated and windows added?

I’m wondering if they were just adapted to the climate given how much colder it gets there versus most parts of Spain

1 hour ago, CSHS1979 said:

I picked up several things and had a Pisco Sour. John sent me back out for this. $15 and they let me walk on with it.

20240131_094401.jpg

We came back with "Flower", at the dock vendor booths in Lima.  😉 

Edited by island lady
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, CSHS1979 said:

Started at $59K pp for insides plus $4K in taxes

Refreshing to see a simple answer to a simple question without the extra pontificating.🙂

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2

31 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

Refreshing to see a simple answer to a simple question without the extra pontificating.🙂

If you are really interested in the pricing....there are multiple mini legs remaining that are still for sale on RCI website.  Bookings available...go for it.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, island lady said:

If you are really interested in the pricing....there are multiple mini legs remaining that are still for sale on RCI website.  Bookings available...go for it.  

Good to know, thank you. I may browse the RCI site just out of curiosity.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, island lady said:

He didn't want to wear it.  We had a choice of wear or not two wear.  It was a bit too warm in there with the burners going, so I simply tied my hair back and Bucky went free fly.  😉 

At least he didn't have to wear a hairnet. 😁

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, island lady said:

LOL...was what I was thinking as well.  Though it was cute our guide was calling all three of us "Chefs".  😄  Was really fun watching Bucky get into the cooking...he does not do that very often and loved it.  The wine and beer helped also.  😉 

I'm not a cook either, but I do like grilling/BBQing.  I don't think I could even pull that off without a beer in my hand. 😁🍺

Edited by doghog
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Yesterday, we ended up on a fantastic full day Lima City tour that included lunch with Raku Tours!  A driver and assistant tour guide picked us up at the gate and drove us to the Plaza St Martin, in the historic center of Lima. While waiting for the other 4 people in our tour group of six, we stepped into the Gran Hotel Boliver, the first modern hotel built in Lima in 1924.  In the 1940’s and 1950’s lots of celebrities and politicians.  It was also known for its Pisco Sours. The hotel is still quite grand, but apparently people don’t feel safe staying in that area anymore due to the many protests in the Plaza across the street.  The hotel also had a lot of interesting art on the walls.  We enjoyed wandering around before our tour!

IMG_3393.jpeg

IMG_3400.jpeg

IMG_3398.jpeg

IMG_3404.jpeg

IMG_3407.jpeg

IMG_3408.jpeg

Edited by pstone1
  • Like 17
  • Thanks 1

In the center of the Plaza St Martin, there is a statue of Jose de San Martin, the liberator of Peru.  At the base of the statue, you can see a smaller statue of Madre Patria, the symbolic mother of Peru.  The artist was supposed to give her a crown of flames, but in Spanish, flames means llama, so they put a llama on her head!  Too funny!

IMG_3410.jpeg

IMG_3411.jpeg

• Like 12
  • Haha 3

Our tour went on to visit “Union Street”, with its UNESCO protected historical buildings.  Beautiful mixture of architectural styles and a stop for delicious chocolate filled churros, handmade right in front of us!

IMG_3422.jpeg

IMG_3423.jpeg

IMG_3432.jpeg

IMG_3443.jpeg

IMG_3421.jpeg

IMG_3429.jpeg

IMG_3444.jpeg

IMG_3446.jpeg

• Like 21

We also re-visited the Presidential Palace and saw the changing of the guards (from outside the barriers), and visited the Lima Cathedral Catacombs, built under the Basillica and the Convent of San Francisco (no inside photos allowed), which are undergoing restoration.  After lunch, we visited several Parks and enjoyed another dessert snack, a Picarones at “Picarones Mary’s”, famous from “Street Food Latin America”, a Netflix show.  Picarones are sweet potato and pumpkin “donuts” drizzled in sugar cane syrup.

IMG_3482.jpeg

IMG_3475.jpeg

IMG_3477.jpeg

IMG_3465.jpeg

IMG_3572.jpeg

IMG_3584.jpeg

IMG_3491.jpeg

IMG_3519.jpeg

• Like 16

We next visited the top of “On Moro Solar”, to see the “Christ of the Pacific” and a beautiful view of the City, including the haphazardly constructed shanty homes on the way up.  They are put together by squatters, who end up owning the land if they stay long enough!

IMG_3604.jpeg

IMG_3613.jpeg

IMG_3625.jpeg

IMG_3629.jpeg

• Like 12

9 minutes ago, pstone1 said:

We also re-visited the Presidential Palace and saw the changing of the guards (from outside the barriers), and visited the Lima Cathedral Catacombs, built under the Basillica and the Convent of San Francisco (no inside photos allowed), which are undergoing restoration.  After lunch, we visited several Parks and enjoyed another dessert snack, a Picarones at “Picarones Mary’s”, famous from “Street Food Latin America”, a Netflix show.  Picarones are sweet potato and pumpkin “donuts” drizzled in sugar cane syrup.

IMG_3482.jpeg

IMG_3475.jpeg

IMG_3477.jpeg

IMG_3465.jpeg

IMG_3572.jpeg

IMG_3584.jpeg

IMG_3491.jpeg

IMG_3519.jpeg

Great photos. Where and what did you have for lunch?

Our last stop of the day was in the Barranco District, or arts district.  This was my favorite area, with the brightly colored murals and interesting statues, just a few blocks from the beach!  Each mural has a complicated meaning - all interesting!

This tour was amazing!  We left the Port around 8:30am and finished at the Miraflores bus pickup spot at 5pm.  The tour started with 6 people, but just 4 of us after lunch in a new, comfy van.  Big kudos to our driver - can’t imagine navigating Lima on a daily basis.  Streets full of traffic and crazy drivers!  We loved our time in Lima!

IMG_3671.jpeg

IMG_3664.jpeg

IMG_3691.jpeg

IMG_3700.jpeg

IMG_3719.jpeg

• Like 20

8 minutes ago, sunset seekers said:

Great photos. Where and what did you have for lunch?

We ate at a little Peruvian Cafe.  Jim had a traditional Peruvian dish for an appetizer, Papa a La Huancaina (potatoes in spicy sauce) picture below, and I had an avocado salad, very fresh and delicious.  For the main course, I had Lomo Salgado, (Peruvian beef stir-fry), picture below, and Jim had fish (mahi).  I ordered chicken, but they brought beef and it was delicious.  I forgot to take food photos so I copied a couple of Jim’s appetizer and my main.  Our food looked identical.

IMG_1112.jpeg

IMG_1113.jpeg

• Like 9

1 hour ago, pstone1 said:

Yesterday, we ended up on a fantastic full day Lima City tour that included lunch with Raku Tours!  A driver and assistant tour guide picked us up at the gate and drove us to the Plaza St Martin, in the historic center of Lima. While waiting for the other 4 people in our tour group of six, we stepped into the Gran Hotel Boliver, the first modern hotel built in Lima in 1924.  In the 1940’s and 1950’s lots of celebrities and politicians.  It was also known for its Pisco Sours. The hotel is still quite grand, but apparently people don’t feel safe staying in that area anymore due to the many protests in the Plaza across the street.  The hotel also had a lot of interesting art on the walls.  We enjoyed wandering around before our tour!

IMG_3393.jpeg

IMG_3400.jpeg

IMG_3398.jpeg

IMG_3404.jpeg

IMG_3407.jpeg

IMG_3408.jpeg

Isn’t that dome amazing?  The grand days of hotels.

• Like 1

Our tour went on to visit “Union Street”, with its UNESCO protected historical buildings.  Beautiful mixture of architectural styles and a stop for delicious chocolate filled churros, handmade right in front of us!

IMG_3422.jpeg

IMG_3423.jpeg

IMG_3432.jpeg

IMG_3443.jpeg

IMG_3421.jpeg

IMG_3429.jpeg

IMG_3444.jpeg

IMG_3446.jpeg

We stopped at same churro shop.  Of course, these Haku tours are uniform.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, pstone1 said:

Our last stop of the day was in the Barranco District, or arts district.  This was my favorite area, with the brightly colored murals and interesting statues, just a few blocks from the beach!  Each mural has a complicated meaning - all interesting!

This tour was amazing!  We left the Port around 8:30am and finished at the Miraflores bus pickup spot at 5pm.  The tour started with 6 people, but just 4 of us after lunch in a new, comfy van.  Big kudos to our driver - can’t imagine navigating Lima on a daily basis.  Streets full of traffic and crazy drivers!  We loved our time in Lima!

IMG_3671.jpeg

IMG_3664.jpeg

IMG_3691.jpeg

IMG_3700.jpeg

IMG_3719.jpeg

We stayed in the Barranco district for a few days pre-cruise.  If anyone plans to visit again, may I suggest Casa Republica Boutique Hotel.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, doghog said:

I'm not a cook either, but I do like grilling/BBQing.  I don't think I could even pull that off without a beer in my hand. 😁🍺

Ahhh...yes...the liquid gold!!   Makes every meal taste better too.  😄 🍻

We next visited the top of “On Moro Solar”, to see the “Christ of the Pacific” and a beautiful view of the City, including the haphazardly constructed shanty homes on the way up.  They are put together by squatters, who end up owning the land if they stay long enough!

IMG_3604.jpeg

IMG_3613.jpeg

IMG_3625.jpeg

IMG_3629.jpeg

Great pictures!  Thanks for sharing!   Happy it was indeed a good time...and thanks again for getting our driver to finally get his act together that morning!!  😉 

Yikes!  Just read that the Mayor of Manta, Ecuador, was assassinated Sunday.  Glad Royal cancelled that Port and continues to keep us safe!

Edited by pstone1
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

31 minutes ago, ILCTCRUISER said:

Isn’t that dome amazing?  The grand days of hotels.

Yes!  I could have spent an hour in that hotel and wouldn’t mind staying there!  Loved the elevator too!

IMG_3402.jpeg

IMG_3405.jpeg

IMG_3406.jpeg

Edited by pstone1
  • Like 14

30 minutes ago, ILCTCRUISER said:

We stopped at same churro shop.  Of course, these Haku tours are uniform.

27 minutes ago, ILCTCRUISER said:

We stayed in the Barranco district for a few days pre-cruise.  If anyone plans to visit again, may I suggest Casa Republica Boutique Hotel.

I can’t say enough good things about Haku!  The guides and tour were top notch!

We passed that Boutique Hotel!  It looked like the perfect place to stay!  Next time!  😁

• Like 1