Little tidbits about Vista

Sp429

This is our 30th cruise, but first on Vista. We have been on the majority of the lines. Vista is gorgeous and the food outweighs the others, in my opinion. I’m providing this information because my hubby and I keep saying “does that make sense?” Maybe it doesn’t matter to others, but it is some of the things I didn’t know before this cruise. 
* there is no ice machine. You have to ask for ice that they get from an ice chest. I was walking around the Terrace Cafe in search of ice and was baffled that there are fill stations for ice tea and lemonade, but no ice. 
* if you upgrade your drink package, which we did, and a drink cost 25.00, you pay the whole 25.00. We are use to Celebrity where you would just pay the difference between the max (18.00) and the 25.00. 
* if you have an 11:00 arrival time reserved, they call the higher cabins for noon and later first. My hubby and I kinda looked at each other funny when at 11:15 they called the noon suites. 

Happy sailing! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sp429 said:

This is our 30th cruise, but first on Vista. We have been on the majority of the lines. Vista is gorgeous and the food outweighs the others, in my opinion. I’m providing this information because my hubby and I keep saying “does that make sense?” Maybe it doesn’t matter to others, but it is some of the things I didn’t know before this cruise. 
* there is no ice machine. You have to ask for ice that they get from an ice chest. I was walking around the Terrace Cafe in search of ice and was baffled that there are fill stations for ice tea and lemonade, but no ice. 
* if you upgrade your drink package, which we did, and a drink cost 25.00, you pay the whole 25.00. We are use to Celebrity where you would just pay the difference between the max (18.00) and the 25.00. 
* if you have an 11:00 arrival time reserved, they call the higher cabins for noon and later first. My hubby and I kinda looked at each other funny when at 11:15 they called the noon suites. 

Happy sailing! 

If you upgraded from the basic booze to the Prestige package, there is no charge for cocktails on O ships as long as there is a bar open AND you’re not ordering the top shelf single malt scotches and highest end cognacs.

Gratuities are included too. 
Also, if you upgraded, you would need to get a new key card with the upgrade notated or else you would then be charged the full price of the drink.

As for the “arrival” time you selected for embarkation, that time is for when you should enter the terminal. Depending on the specific port, what then happens may vary. Usually there are separate lines for different cabin levels and the highest category ones have priority in completing the check-in process. As for “room readiness,” that’s done by cabin category. So when you embark and when you can access your cabin are two different things.

Just like there’s no self-service allowed in the casual restaurant/buffet, there are no ice machines to keep passengers from touching food products (including ice) with their grubby hands. This is actually a feature that helped many passengers choose O for sanitary/food safety reasons.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

3 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Just like there’s no self-service allowed in the casual restaurant/buffet, there are no ice machines to keep passengers from touching food products (including ice) with their grubby hands. This is actually a feature that helped many passengers choose O for sanitary/food safety reasons.

Sounds logical, but IMHO it is the appearance of being more sanitary, not sure there is any proof. IME out of 45 cruises the ONLY norovirus alert with extra precautions having to be taken was on an Oceania cruise. (Marina). Still many opportunities for passengers' "grubby hands" to touch things such as expresso machines in lounges and in Terrace and shared condiments in Terrace, soda refrigerators in lounges and spa deck.  Interesting that on Regent, the entire buffet equivalent to Terrace is self serve.

4 minutes ago, edgee said:

Sounds logical, but IMHO it is the appearance of being more sanitary, not sure there is any proof. IME out of 45 cruises the ONLY norovirus alert with extra precautions having to be taken was on an Oceania cruise. (Marina). Still many opportunities for passengers' "grubby hands" to touch things such as expresso machines in lounges and in Terrace and shared condiments in Terrace, soda refrigerators in lounges and spa deck.  Interesting that on Regent, the entire buffet equivalent to Terrace is self serve.

Zero scientific rigor to your comment (based solely on personal experience) while self serve buffets (on/off ships) are notorious for disease transmission.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Zero scientific rigor to your comment (based solely on personal experience) while self serve buffets (on/off ships) are notorious for disease transmission.  

And nearly every other cruise line, including luxury ones has them with no "scientific rigor" showing that O is safer...or if there is, please share.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Sp429 said:

You would think they would have a notation on the drink menu  that drink over  $18 or $20   is not included  in the Beverage package

or even have a asterisk next to the drink  & a footnote  saying not included  

some may think Louis the XIII is included

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

If you upgraded from the basic booze to the Prestige package, there is no charge for cocktails on O ships as long as there is a bar open AND you’re not ordering the top shelf single malt scotches and highest end cognacs.

Gratuities are included too. 
Also, if you upgraded, you would need to get a new key card with the upgrade notated or else you would then be charged the full price of the drink.

As for the “arrival” time you selected for embarkation, that time is for when you should enter the terminal. Depending on the specific port, what then happens may vary. Usually there are separate lines for different cabin levels and the highest category ones have priority in completing the check-in process. As for “room readiness,” that’s done by cabin category. So when you embark and when you can access your cabin are two different things.

My hubby tried to order woodford and it was going to be 25.00. I don’t consider that top shelf. We confirmed with the beverage manager that it was 25.00, even though we paid for Orestige. Anything over 18.00 is the full price. But that’s the thing about “self-service” - my point is you can self serve the iced tea, lemonade, all condiments but no ice. 

20 minutes ago, Sp429 said:

My hubby tried to order woodford and it was going to be 25.00. I don’t consider that top shelf. We confirmed with the beverage manager that it was 25.00, even though we paid for Orestige. Anything over 18.00 is the full price. But that’s the thing about “self-service” - my point is you can self serve the iced tea, lemonade, all condiments but no ice. 

O does not use the "maximum price" model. The drink packages only include items on the bar menus in Horizons, Martinis, Waves, Grand, Terrace, Lounge (but not Founders I think). The $25 Woodford is on the Polo bar menu; specialty restaurant bar menus are not included in drink packages. The ~$17 Woodford is on the Bar Menu and is included in the package.

Handy note when other venues are closed...you can get ice at Baristas or from room service. I don't use ice, but I saw a couple people getting some at Baristas.

Edited by AMHuntFerry
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, edgee said:

And nearly every other cruise line, including luxury ones has them with no "scientific rigor" showing that O is safer...or if there is, please share.

Not about to do your research for you. That said, my knowledge is based on professional experience with standards of hotel and restaurant management. Thus, if you want citations and can afford it, I’d be willing to find you some valid literature references.

38 minutes ago, Sp429 said:

Someone “yanked your chain.” Woodford is barely a step above “rot gut” and no O

bartender I know would try to charge you for that as a “top shelf” exclusion.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, edgee said:

Based on our experience sailing on O ships many times we definitely didn’t notice that no self serving buffet stopped transmission of the viruses. I don’t know if there’s any evidence to how this favorably compares to the other lines. But that being said, we much prefer O buffet where one is served by the staff to the self serving version on the other lines.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Not about to do your research for you. That said, my knowledge is based on professional experience with standards of hotel and restaurant management. Thus, if you want citations and can afford it, I’d be willing to find you some valid literature references.

Fine to dispute views expressed in my posts. Not interested in paying for alleged facts to back up your assertions. 

That being said, I won't dispute that many feel better cruising with Oceania because of their obsession with this no/very limited self serve policy. However I still doubt there are any real facts that O is safer because of it. Also, recognizing that the policy creates backups in the Terrace particularly in the salad and dessert areas, I was disappointed that on Vista, there was no redesign of these areas to aim for better service.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, edgee said:

Fine to dispute views expressed in my posts. Not interested in paying for alleged facts to back up your assertions. 

That being said, I won't dispute that many feel better cruising with Oceania because of their obsession with this no/very limited self serve policy. However I still doubt there are any real facts that O is safer because of it. Also, recognizing that the policy creates backups in the Terrace particularly in the salad and dessert areas, I was disappointed that on Vista, there was no redesign of these areas to aim for better service.

If you want the facts, you can start with a search here:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov

Once upon a time Holland America ran "Code Orange" (crew-served buffet, no salt/pepper shakers, etc) for the first 48 hours of a cruise as an anti-norovirus measure.

They discontinued such in, IIRC, 2014 (a long time ago anyway), so their lawyers thought it wasn't worth it.

Why is so many people have mentioned lately about drinks being above the maximum? Unless Oceania has changed this recently that is absolutely not the way their drink packages work. Seems people are thinking of the way it works on Celebrity.

On 12/2/2023 at 12:11 PM, Sp429 said:

... * there is no ice machine. You have to ask for ice that they get from an ice chest. I was walking around the Terrace Cafe in search of ice and was baffled that there are fill stations for ice tea and lemonade, but no ice."

On both Riviera (12/2021 & 10-11/2023) and Sirena (12/2022) there are 2 "ice machines" in the TC, one on either side, forward, closer to the entrance. Big silver machine. Dispenses ice. I get my own drinks in the TC as I first check out the menu. Fill a glass with ice then add the black tea. Often with a glass of milk, the skim and whole near the ice machine and tea. 

48 minutes ago, Pandazoo said:

@edgee Maybe a look at the CDC website that reports of norovirus and gastrointestinal outbreaks on cruise ships.  Then go to the recommended NIH site.  

Yup. List shows very very miniscule number of reported outbreaks, especially compared to the number of folks who cruise each year and some on very small ships where just a few cases trigger the reporting threshold. Zero in 2023 on any ships bigger than 2300 passengers, again probably indicative of a silly numbers game so even medium sized ships by today's standards do not have enough cases percentage wise to trigger reporting.

Edited by edgee
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, edgee said:

Yup. List shows very very miniscule number of reported outbreaks, especially compared to the number of folks who cruise each year and some on very small ships where just a few cases trigger the reporting threshold. Zero in 2023 on any ships bigger than 2300 passengers, again probably indicative of a silly numbers game so even medium sized ships by today's standards do not have enough cases percentage wise to trigger reporting.

Yikes!!!   "10/8 - 10/13 - Scarlet Lady - Salmonella and E. Coli"

Norovirus is one thing -- it walks aboard every embarkation, but fecal matter infection?!?

On 12/2/2023 at 10:51 PM, Snaefell3 said:

Once upon a time Holland America ran "Code Orange" (crew-served buffet, no salt/pepper shakers, etc) for the first 48 hours of a cruise as an anti-norovirus measure.

They discontinued such in, IIRC, 2014 (a long time ago anyway), so their lawyers thought it wasn't worth it.

Not certain but pretty sure they started doing that again post Covid.

Just wash your hands often everyone.  If sick order room service.  I personally am grateful for the CDC inspections and reports.  I am happy for the least amount of hands touching food and serving utensils.  I have been in many public restrooms and witness people leaving without washing hands.  🤢 Disgusting and 😳 disturbing.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Pandazoo said:

@Edgee they are required to report and inspections help.  What is your point that you want more hands touching your utensils and food?

Point is self service buffets are common on nearly all cruise ships as well as the world in general. Measured by number of reported norovirus incidents have seen no evidence that Oceania's staff served system is any safer. Except for some glitches in efficiency it causes, Oceania's system is not a bad thing. However it is not a reason to cruise Oceania over similar cruise lines in my opinion. For others it may be a big deal and thus they use it as a factor in making their choice of cruise line. Choice is a good thing. I choose Oceania for many other reasons. 

2 minutes ago, edgee said:

Point is self service buffets are common on nearly all cruise ships as well as the world in general. Measured by number of reported norovirus incidents have seen no evidence that Oceania's staff served system is any safer. Except for some glitches in efficiency it causes, Oceania's system is not a bad thing. However it is not a reason to cruise Oceania over similar cruise lines in my opinion. For others it may be a big deal and thus they use it as a factor in making their choice of cruise line. Choice is a good thing. I choose Oceania for many other reasons. 

I do like  Oceania’s served buffet and I must admit I feel a little less safe when there are self serve buffets.

I carry hand sanitiser with me and just use it more often if I feel a little uncomfortable. So easy to carry in a pocket/bag everyone should.

1 hour ago, Pandazoo said:

What is your point that you want more hands touching your utensils and food?

• If I see hands (pax or ungloved crew) touching *food*, I'll be demanding the rest of it be discarded -- might be tempted to look for a rope and a lamppost, too! 🤧

• To put passenger-touched serving utensils in perspective, they are no worse a disease transmission vector than elevator buttons, and I don't see that many folks taking the stairs in lieu.

• I prefer passenger-touched serving utensils when I want to try just a taste of something rather than full standard helping -- anyone have much success conveying that to a server?

• Faced with "outbreak" levels of norovirus, I'd expect any ship to go to "Code Orange" -- maybe even a bit sooner.

• Like 1