Just a Question: Would you support "no cell phone" areas on Ships?

Bluewake

On 12/16/2023 at 10:11 AM, bEwAbG said:

But you still have to buy them and then remember to take them with you.  Again, they never used to have to tell people on flights to be sure and use headphones.  And in the past they could give people a cheap pair with the standard jack, but that is no longer an option if someone is using a proprietary jack.  If you forget the headphones or the adapter, you're now SOL until you can get to some place that sells them.

Eh, I think this may be a very small part of the issue. I personally, would never consider using my phone without headphones because I forgot to bring them.

I think it's more a symptom of the social media age where people feel the need to create videos to post constantly and using facetime instead of making phone calls so they can show off where they are.

I have to ask this, are people just bothered that someone is talking into a phone?

So two scenarios

Person is talking at level 3 volume out of 10 into a phone near you, does this bother you?

2 people are having a conversation at level 3 volume out of 10 near you, does this bother you?

If the answer is yes to the first scenario and not the second, then this is a you problem and not their issue. I think some people just hate cell phones and people using them. To me people on their phones don't bother me, it is just part of life now. If people are shouting and yelling in a quiet place, phone or no phone, that is an issue.

Good luck trying to get kids to be quiet in the solarium. When two kids were doing cannonballs and being excited on our HAL cruise, they made more noise than anyone in the covered pool area. I didn't mind it because they were having a blast with what appeared to be their grandparents.

12 minutes ago, cgolf1 said:

I have to ask this, are people just bothered that someone is talking into a phone?

So two scenarios

Person is talking at level 3 volume out of 10 into a phone near you, does this bother you?

2 people are having a conversation at level 3 volume out of 10 near you, does this bother you?

If the answer is yes to the first scenario and not the second, then this is a you problem and not their issue. I think some people just hate cell phones and people using them. To me people on their phones don't bother me, it is just part of life now. If people are shouting and yelling in a quiet place, phone or no phone, that is an issue.

Good luck trying to get kids to be quiet in the solarium. When two kids were doing cannonballs and being excited on our HAL cruise, they made more noise than anyone in the covered pool area. I didn't mind it because they were having a blast with what appeared to be their grandparents.

We all know which one is louder....

I agree with you that I have seen more of that behavior on ships...and all other public places.

The lack of self awareness of many is stunning.

But our phones are also our cameras.

Many my need to be in touch with elderly parents or children.

Perhaps a polite request of others might help--but I could also see it leading to an uncomfortable encounter.

Seems people are immune to others' comfort unless someone in charge (like a flight attendant) tells them what needs to be done.

8 minutes ago, PTC DAWG said:

We all know which one is louder....

From my observations, the people conversing, not the phone. There are exceptions, and generally the people being obnoxious on the phone, if not that will find another way to be a bother even without the phone. I generally think most people try to be respectful of others.

I very much like the idea of some quiet public areas, free of phone conversations, especially (but not limited to) those using speaker-phone mode and free of music coming from phones or personal speakers. The Elks Club member who mentioned their club having a rule that people were supposed to leave their club's bar area to take an incoming call or make a call had the right idea.  I doubt that any of us are opposed to someone texting (without sounds on), taking photos or browsing the internet or cruise line app with sound turned off.  However, having to listen to loud video calls with someone's grandkids, or a remote work call laying into an employee who missed a project deadline, or a video game, or a YouTube video of people laughing at others doing face plants doesn't make for a very relaxing time when you're in quiet relaxation mode.  Yes, some of it's just common courtesy and there's no way to prevent all of this all over the ship, and there shouldn't be anyhow... sharing fun stuff with others a great way to spend some of your vacation time... but there should be at least a few areas to get that true quiet relaxation time without having to hole up on your stateroom. It should be somewhat easily enforceable if only restricted to a few specific, well-marked areas.

• Like 1