Concerns about changes to upcoming Grandeur ports

the_dylaness

Just now, Pcardad said:

Then vote with your wallet.

I am still curious if TA's are warning people that ports/itineraries can change at time of booking.

Anyone on cruise critic should know that. Endless threads about it 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, jeb_bud said:

It looks like maybe Regent is scrambling to deal with a brand new California regulation that REQUIRES all cruise ships berthing at San Pedro and other ports to connect to shore power. 

https://lbpost.com/news/new-state-rules-to-reduce-vessel-emissions-at-ports-get-federal-ok/

But the new rules are not yet in effect

• Like 1

6 hours ago, bitob said:

I’m a very good attorney

It’s a loser

Well, I am not a lawyer but I did stay in a holiday Inn once. (Hopefully you’ve seen the Holiday Inn commercials, if not, skip this sentence) Seriously, I have been involved with hundreds of contracts and even litigation on some of those contracts. I admittedly don’t know all the facts in this case and none of us will probably get the real answer from Regent. I am happy for those who feel that Regent gave fair compensation but for many more on this board they were not provided with the product that they purchased and in some cases the FCC’s have no value since this was a once in a lifetime cruise for them. Yes, Regent has the legalize to support their case that they have the right to change itineraries at any time. However, if they knew in advance that they would not be able to provide the services and itinerary that they marketed and sold then there could be a case for fraudulent representation and/or the lack of notification that the product was being altered. It all depends on when they knew and who knew it. I am not suggesting that litigation is a wise path to go on, nor I am saying there is a legitimate case. For bitob, he is rightfully happy with the deal because as he says, he loves sea days and it didn’t bother him that the ports weren’t going to be visited. But for others, it is a big deal and they may or may not be able to use the 20% on a future cruise nor use the OBC. The point is that every situation is different and while one may look at this as fair compensation, another person may not, so please don’t pass judgement on either perspective.          

• Like 2

1 hour ago, pappy1022 said:

I am curious - how does a change in a California Regulation affecting the Los Angeles port stop relate in any way to the loss of three Mexican port stops?  That makes no sense to me.  There is something else going on.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Fair point. I was responding to the posting that talked about this regulation. Since it is not in effect yet, it should have had no bearing on any port stop in California or otherwise. And in fact, Regent did stop in California so it is a moot point for now. I agree that something is fishy but I bet we will never know the entire story.

1 hour ago, pappy1022 said:

Since the article is from October, the new regulations will no doubt be in place before Grandeur arrives in California in early January.

……. but still not sure why the itinerary change was required to finalise the commissioning of the relevant equipment on the ship 🤔

Hopefully those on the cruise will have a wonderful time; with the added bonus of a generous compensation package.

On 12/7/2023 at 10:59 AM, Pcardad said:

This is an issue for all cruise lines. I see it daily.

I cannot stand the idea of people booking a cruise without being informed by their TA that the ports are subject to change without warning. Why are people mad at the cruise line and not their TAs? 

Our friend recommended me to go to a fancy-shmency restaurant.  We pre-ordered and pre-paid (it was a very special restaurant!) Beluga caviar, filet mignon with truffles, and lamb chops with a cognac Dijon cream sauce.  Unfortunately, the restaurant couldn't proceed with our order and graciously substituted it with 2 hot dogs and a free glass of house wine per our table (their fine print stated that due to pre-ordering procedure they are not able to accommodate a refund).  I'm so mad at our friend!

Edited by kirtihk
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

4 minutes ago, kirtihk said:

Our friend recommended me to go to a fancy-shmency restaurant.  We pre-ordered and pre-paid (it was a very special restaurant!) Beluga caviar, filet mignon with truffles, and lamb chops with a cognac Dijon cream sauce.  Unfortunately, the restaurant couldn't proceed with our order and graciously substituted it with 2 hot dogs and a free glass of wine per our table (their fine print stated that due to pre-ordering procedure they are not able to accommodate a refund).

Cute...but not an accurate comparison nor does it answer my question regarding your TA.

Just now, Pcardad said:

Cute...but not an accurate comparison nor does it answer my question regarding your TA.

1 minute ago, Pcardad said:

I forgot to finish my story.  Now, I modified it, so, here is my answer.

22 hours ago, jeb_bud said:

It looks like maybe Regent is scrambling to deal with a brand new California regulation that REQUIRES all cruise ships berthing at San Pedro and other ports to connect to shore power. 

https://lbpost.com/news/new-state-rules-to-reduce-vessel-emissions-at-ports-get-federal-ok/

A little tidbit from the referenced article:

The Port of Los Angeles was adding infrastructure for shore power as far back as 2014, and information on the port’s website indicates it was used on at least 90% of cruise ship and container vessel visits between January and August of this year.

So port of LA started implementing shore power almost 10 years ago, and 90% of cruise ships and container vessels using the port this year were able to integrate it.  But Regent got caught unawares when planning and building a ship they launched less than a month ago.

Uh-huh.
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, bitob said:

I’m making the best of my silversea changes. 
unexpected 

if you cruise it happens 

no compensation offered at all

im not complaining

you will all love this ship regardless!!

Good for you. Since you love sea days it doesn’t mess up your cruise, For others, the destiny is an important part of the journey. I happen to be one of those people. 

• Like 1

As a frequent cruiser, I am well aware of the terms of the contract.  I am also aware that stuff happens.  I've been on ships where ports were cancelled due to mechanics and weather.  That is to be expected.  But, there is absolutely nothing wrong with the consumer having a reasonable expectation that the product purchased is the product that will be delivered in good faith.  Did Regent use good faith in the way they originally handled this particular situation.  I don't believe so.  Again, love Regent, will continue to cruise on Regent.  

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, PhD-iva said:

This is exactly the cruise itinerary I was so excited about.

So...........................are you being realistically excited about the itinerary?  They could end up cancelling some of the ports you want to go to - after you have paid.

1 hour ago, jjs217 said:

So...........................are you being realistically excited about the itinerary?  They could end up cancelling some of the ports you want to go to - after you have paid.

I have no worries, but perhaps you do.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, jjs217 said:

Tons, actually.

And you should have high expectations for a cruise line that touts itself as “the world’s most luxurious fleet, unrivaled experiences, top notch experiences since 1992”, etc. Hey, I enjoy cruising with Regent and for the most part they do a good job. But sometimes they just screw up and this cruise feels like one of those times.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, pappy1022 said:

And you should have high expectations for a cruise line that touts itself as “the world’s most luxurious fleet, unrivaled experiences, top notch experiences since 1992”, etc. Hey, I enjoy cruising with Regent and for the most part they do a good job. But sometimes they just screw up and this cruise feels like one of those times.

Exactomundo!