Check in for cruises has RCCL changed it in the last month

I'm curious what the advantage is to RC, in requiring use of the app to check in.  We have always used laptop, but now will have to go to the port (Baltimore, currently) with no checkin completed, and have an agent there check us in.  Isn't that an inefficient waste of time for the agents?  (Doesn't bother me, but I have time at home to do it, too.)

Do they think we will buy more excursions, drink packages, etc. if we have the app?   Or?   I'm looking for the logic in this.

2 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

I'm curious what the advantage is to RC, in requiring use of the app to check in.  We have always used laptop, but now will have to go to the port (Baltimore, currently) with no checkin completed, and have an agent there check us in.  Isn't that an inefficient waste of time for the agents?  (Doesn't bother me, but I have time at home to do it, too.)

Do they think we will buy more excursions, drink packages, etc. if we have the app?   Or?   I'm looking for the logic in this.

The website still works on your laptop.  I just used it three days ago.

12 hours ago, steveru621 said:

The website still works on your laptop.  I just used it three days ago.

The website works for everything else, but checkin, for Vision cruises, is via the app only. Laptop users are unable/not permitted to enter any info or to choose an arrival time.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

Just an educated guess, requiring all passengers to use the app for check-in would eliminate the need to maintain/update check-in software on their web page. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

Just an educated guess, requiring all passengers to use the app for check-in would eliminate the need to maintain/update check-in software on their web page. 

But, believe it or not, not everyone has a smart phone.  Or space on their phone for an additional app. If they don't have home internet, they can go to a public library or a friend's house or a work computer.  

IMO, it doesn't make sense to limit the options for your customers.  If computer based internet was on it's way out, maybe.  But that's not going to happen. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

But, believe it or not, not everyone has a smart phone.  Or space on their phone for an additional app. If they don't have home internet, they can go to a public library or a friend's house or a work computer.  

IMO, it doesn't make sense to limit the options for your customers.  If computer based internet was on it's way out, maybe.  But that's not going to happen. 

I understand your point, but if RCI can reduce their costs and not have it impact the demand for their cruises, it is a good move business wise, even if one day it means people without smart phones can no longer cruise on RCI. 

2 minutes ago, shipgeeks said:

No smartphone, and no use for one apart from checking in for 3 or 4 cruises a year.

You can still do it the old fashioned way, show up at the port with your passport and meet with an agent.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

I understand your point, but if RCI can reduce their costs and not have it impact the demand for their cruises, it is a good move business wise, even if one day it means people without smart phones can no longer cruise on RCI. 

I can agree with that.  But I would question how much money not having website check in saves. I get every little bit helps. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

Most people do have smart phones, home internet and are comfortable using the app.  There are options for people who don't choose to utilize the app and prefer to be tech free for the cruise.  Myself and others like me prefer the tech way and are glad Royal is going in this direction.  IMO, it will be more difficult in the future for those who want to go the old route.  I truthfully don't care what people choose to do.  But I saw this happening in the hospitals when we started the switch to computers from hand written and people kept saying the old way was easier.  Maybe  not the best comparison but close.  

5 minutes ago, jean87510 said:

Most people do have smart phones, home internet and are comfortable using the app.  There are options for people who don't choose to utilize the app and prefer to be tech free for the cruise.  Myself and others like me prefer the tech way and are glad Royal is going in this direction.  IMO, it will be more difficult in the future for those who want to go the old route.  I truthfully don't care what people choose to do.  But I saw this happening in the hospitals when we started the switch to computers from hand written and people kept saying the old way was easier.  Maybe  not the best comparison but close.  

I have no problem with Royal using the app for check in.  I think it's a mistake, at this point in time, to ONLY allow the app for check in.  Of course, that and $1.25 will get you a soda from a machine. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, mo&fran said:

Grandeur  for me.. that makes 2

Thank you for the reminder; I had heard that earlier.

In our case, it's not as if we want to be tech-free, we just don't want to have to add smartphones to our battery of devices.  We're not expecting RC to send us printed checkin questionnaires, or have a rep call us to take down our info.  Doing it on a laptop has always been part of our responsibility, and surely the info "arrives" at RC whether from app or laptop?

3 hours ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

I have no problem with Royal using the app for check in.  I think it's a mistake, at this point in time, to ONLY allow the app for check in.  Of course, that and $1.25 will get you a soda from a machine. 

I believe you could also call to check-in and you could opt for email confirmation or mail.  Friend did this as she is anti app.  And then left her folder with the paperwork in the checked luggage at the port....  Luckily she had her passport and the port staff helped her.  This was on the Vision in October where I think there was difficulty checking in unless via the app and I believe the set sail pass was only available on the app.

Our upcoming family cruise will be only our second one on RCI and our first using the app to check in. I've perused the RCI step-by-step guide to the Mobile Check-in process (https://www.royalcaribbean.com/content/dam/royal/international/pdf/singapore-/RCI - OLCI - Mobile Check-in User Guide.pdf) and note that there is still a page for entering vaccination information. Has the app itself been updated to eliminate this page, even if the guide hasn't been updated? Or should everyone in the family find their proof of vaccination in order to fill out this section?

3 hours ago, Fouremco said:

... and note that there is still a page for entering vaccination information. Has the app itself been updated to eliminate this page, even if the guide hasn't been updated? Or should everyone in the family find their proof of vaccination in order to fill out this section?

No vaccination information requested.