Nieuw Statendam questions

Ski Mom 2

New to Holland but not to cruising. We have booked the Eastern Caribbean departing on March 10 with friends.

Can someone explain to me what makes Holland different? More specifically I'm seeing folks comment about the Orange Party, Bar Hopping Party, Orange Club, cabanas and more but no real explanations about these. The more I research the more I don’t seem to find out what exactly these are.

I’m also a bit confused about the main dining room. We are listed as anytime dining but somewhere I read about early/late seating and trying to reserve a table. Is the dining room two levels and are each different?

Looking forward to our cruise and more knowledge about Holland! Thanks!!

Welcome to Holland America!

These are the benefits of CLUB ORANGE.

Here is the link to @Crew News site for CABANA RENTALS.

Here is a link to the ORANGE PARTY.

If you would like to reserve the Early (~5:30pm) or Main (~8:30pm) dining you should contact your TA or PCC (HAL Personal Cruise Consultant).  Or you can go to any of the kiosks around the ship on embarkation day and inquire about reservations.

I have never been on the pub crawl but I’ve seen them around the ship.  They always seem to be having a lot of fun.  You can ask at any bar or beverage server and they will tell you all about it.

Have fun!

• Thanks 2

Thank you for your prompt reply!

So it sounds like Holland has both anytime dining along with early and late seating? Are those in different dining rooms? We much prefer anytime dining so I’m happy with that but am still curious how they manage to have both. 

Am I reading correctly when it says the Orange Party is an additional cost? Why? Am I getting free cocktails? 🍹 I thought it was perhaps like Azamara’s White Party or Windstar’s Deck BBQ and open to all. 

Again I’m hoping to get the lay of the land/ship before boarding and I appreciate your help!

36 minutes ago, *Miss G* said:

I have never been on the pub crawl but I’ve seen them around the ship.  They always seem to be having a lot of fun.

We did the pub crawl on the N.S. in October.  We had a BLAST.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Ski Mom 2 said:

So it sounds like Holland has both anytime dining along with early and late seating? Are those in different dining rooms? We much prefer anytime dining so I’m happy with that but am still curious how they manage to have both.

*Generally, fixed dining is on Deck 3 and Anytime dining is on Deck 2.  (*But not always because some fixed tables can also be on Deck 2.)  You will always go to Deck 2 to check in for Anytime dining.

5 minutes ago, Ski Mom 2 said:

Am I reading correctly when it says the Orange Party is an additional cost? Why? Am I getting free cocktails? 🍹 I thought it was perhaps like Azamara’s White Party or Windstar’s Deck BBQ and open to all. 

There is no charge to attend the Orange Party.  The cocktails are not free.  I have not been to one so others will be able to add input.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, *Miss G* said:

There is no charge to attend the Orange Party.  The cocktails are not free.  I have not been to one so others will be able to add input.

I seem to recall a tray of free cocktails at the entrance to the party - but my memory is fuzzy - I had just completed the bar crawl.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ski Mom 2 said:

What’s the pub crawl?! Sounds interesting!

I went last night and I had a blast!  $25 for visits to the 4 bars (4 specialty drinks included) with games to win bottles of “champagne” or beer - I won to bottles of champagne!!!  And then we “crashed” the Oranje Party. 

IMG_2553.thumb.jpeg.99c3f560658a83354fe7bdd5d0b6d8b4.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Ski Mom 2 said:

New to Holland but not to cruising. We have booked the Eastern Caribbean departing on March 10 with friends.

Can someone explain to me what makes Holland different? More specifically I'm seeing folks comment about the Orange Party, Bar Hopping Party, Orange Club, cabanas and more but no real explanations about these. The more I research the more I don’t seem to find out what exactly these are.

I’m also a bit confused about the main dining room. We are listed as anytime dining but somewhere I read about early/late seating and trying to reserve a table. Is the dining room two levels and are each different?

Looking forward to our cruise and more knowledge about Holland! Thanks!!

I've cruised a few lines and imho what makes HAL stand out is the following:

1) Club Orange. Upgrading to highest available stateroom in your category makes it pay for itself. Throw in special seating for dining (and special room on ships like Nieuw Stadendam) and priority embarkation/tender and it's a no brainer.

2) Music venues. BB Kings and Rolling Stones are a little unique and fun.

3) Have It All. In an age where lines are downgrading AI packages (e.g., X just pulled grats from its) or don't have them at all (e.g., RCCL, CCL), it's nice to see a good package still exists. Furthermore, they always run specials to include the grats (these aren't always included), upgrade to top level wifi and drinks, etc. And they give shoreex credit and OBC too. Again, this isn't always, but the deals run so often it feels that way.

Besides that, the food is good, cabins are nice, etc. Other ships have these of course.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for your prompt reply!

Again I’m hoping to get the lay of the land/ship before boarding and I appreciate your help!

Just adding to what @alyssammasaid about Club Orange: on the ship you're on, you would have a separate dining room. Anytime dining, but there is almost never a wait more than a couple of minutes. As was said, the benefits that come with it make a lot of sense. We are on the Nieuw Statendam in May; booked the lowest price verandah stateroom and then upgraded to the highest at no charge.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, YourWorldWithBill said:

Just adding to what @alyssammasaid about Club Orange: on the ship you're on, you would have a separate dining room. Anytime dining, but there is almost never a wait more than a couple of minutes. As was said, the benefits that come with it make a lot of sense. We are on the Nieuw Statendam in May; booked the lowest price verandah stateroom and then upgraded to the highest at no charge.

Nice!

I see that one has to call for pricing on Club Orange. Can someone give me a ballpark figure on what that might be? Or a percentage? Thanks!

2 minutes ago, Ski Mom 2 said:

Nice!

I see that one has to call for pricing on Club Orange. Can someone give me a ballpark figure on what that might be? Or a percentage? Thanks!

If my memory is wrong someone will correct me: I think it's $15 a day for cruises 14 days or longer, and $25 a day for 13 days or less. A bit irritating for me, as our cruise is 13 days, so it will cost more than a 21 day cruise! 

• Haha 1

Another question if y’all don’t mind. I know it’s been asked (it always is for every cruise line 😁) but did I read Holland still has dressy nights, is that correct? We have been cruising Windstar (no dressy nights) and at dinner my husband wears khakis and a nice button down or silky short sleeve Tommy Bahama type shirt and I wear a nicer sundress (typically not what I would call a fancy cocktail dress). 

He doesn’t need a sport coat does he? And I’m not keen on packing a sparkly cocktail dress especially for the Caribbean. 

He doesn’t need a sport coat does he? And I’m not keen on packing a sparkly cocktail dress especially for the Caribbean. 

No sport coat, no sparkly dress needed. The guidelines are the same for "dressy" as for other nights -- no holey jeans, collared shirt for men.

• Like 3