Spain Sept. 14, 2025 Replaced by Canada/Greenland/Iceland itineraries

candkd

I just received an email that said this cruise has been cancelled because their Canada & New England trips are so popular they're adding the Onward to these journeys. I booked this trip to coincide with a Portugal River Cruise & this was the only cruise where the dates matched. To add insult to injury I was also booked on the July 2024 Quest trip to Norway that was cancelled. I was able to rebook that  trip but my TA is still dealing the getting written confirmation about the promos & OBC that I have. This company is getting very difficult to deal with and I'm extremely reluctant to every sail with them again.

We’ve been on several cruises with cancellations and significant itinerary changes. Most of them were on Celebrity ships (one letting us know that our Australia cruise was being changed to an East Coast USA itinerary including Baltimore!) some years ago, and two were on Azamara when it was under the Royal Caribbean umbrella. These things can and do happen on all cruise lines. At least in this case, they were able to give plenty of notice. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, candkd said:

I just received an email that said this cruise has been cancelled because their Canada & New England trips are so popular they're adding the Onward to these journeys. I booked this trip to coincide with a Portugal River Cruise & this was the only cruise where the dates matched. To add insult to injury I was also booked on the July 2024 Quest trip to Norway that was cancelled. I was able to rebook that  trip but my TA is still dealing the getting written confirmation about the promos & OBC that I have. This company is getting very difficult to deal with and I'm extremely reluctant to every sail with them again.

What ship was sailing on 14th September? It looks like all four ships are in and around the Mediterranean in September 2025. . Not  quite sure how this cruise cancellation is connected to a Canada and New England Itinerary?

Edited by combine

I wonder if they’re going to stay on this side of the pond until the winter Caribbean season.  There’s been a bit of buzz on the Great Lakes with smaller cruise ships passing through.  Fall colours aren’t far off and the eastern seaboard of the US has some fabulous destinations.  It would take a while to set these up I suppose.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, QueenP said:

My fingers are crossed....I've been waiting for Az to do Canada New England for such a long time! I woukd be thrilled if they stayed on the Eastern seaboard!

It would be outstanding if ports included Sydney Nova Scotia allowing access to Louisburg and Cape Breton, especially in the autumn, and St. John’s Newfoundland.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

It would be great if Azamara used their small-ship size and longer itineraries to include ports that don't show up on every mega-ship CA/NE cruise!  I'm thinking of these:

Screenshot2023-12-10at3_14_58PM.thumb.png.998b3c2719a84ad540f262315472574a.png

Add Sydney N.S, and that would be amazing.

Not certain about navigating the St. Lawrence Seaway to Toronto. And without Ohtani who wants to go to Toronto anyway. 😀

1 minute ago, nordski said:

Add Sydney N.S, and that would be amazing.

Not certain about navigating the St. Lawrence Seaway to Toronto. And without Ohtani who wants to go to Toronto anyway. 😀

Montreal to NY with those stops (plus the usual ones in Nova Scotia and New England) would be terrific.  [But based on your last sentence, you probably don't want to go to Montreal anymore since the Expos left...]

5 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Montreal to NY with those stops (plus the usual ones in Nova Scotia and New England) would be terrific.  [But based on your last sentence, you probably don't want to go to Montreal anymore since the Expos left...]

The Big “O” was a terrible place to watch baseball but yes, the bittereness of the Expos being spirited away by MLB still remains.

Fortunately, Montreal has other attractions.

• Like 1

I will be the first to state I know absolutely nothing about where an Azamara ship can sail, however, I was impressed when we sailed into Seville this autumn.  Family has property on the St. Lawrence (Wolfe Island) and we see massive ships pass.  Ponant, Viking and Pearl Seas all cruise into the Great Lakes.  The clear advantage of getting to Toronto is proximity to Niagara Falls. Certainly those of us who live close by get a little blasé about it, but it is a draw. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Whitby100 said:

I will be the first to state I know absolutely nothing about where an Azamara ship can sail, however, I was impressed when we sailed into Seville this autumn.  Family has property on the St. Lawrence (Wolfe Island) and we see massive ships pass.  Ponant, Viking and Pearl Seas all cruise into the Great Lakes.  The clear advantage of getting to Toronto is proximity to Niagara Falls. Certainly those of us who live close by get a little blasé about it, but it is a draw. 

I absolutely agree it would be excellent to board an Azamara ship in Toronto, and I am no expert on the limits of navigation for Azamara ships.  But if my Google search is correct, the Viking Octantis is about 6 feet narrower than an “R” ship and has about 3 feet clearance in the locks on the Seaway.

Obviously boarding the Octantis on Toronto is a possibility, but since it is a special “expedition” ship and carries only 378 passengers the prices are a bit daunting,

But maybe an “expedition” ship is in Azamara’s future sailing in the Arctic, on The Grest Lakes, and in the Antarctic, That would be a memorable “world cruise”! 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, nordski said:

I absolutely agree it would be excellent to board an Azamara ship in Toronto, and I am no expert on the limits of navigation for Azamara ships.  But if my Google search is correct, the Viking Octantis is about 6 feet narrower than an “R” ship and has about 3 feet clearance in the locks on the Seaway.

Obviously boarding the Octantis on Toronto is a possibility, but since it is a special “expedition” ship and carries only 378 passengers the prices are a bit daunting,

But maybe an “expedition” ship is in Azamara’s future sailing in the Arctic, on The Grest Lakes, and in the Antarctic, That would be a memorable “world cruise”! 

Based on each ship’s draft, it is possible.  Octant is 6 metre and Quest is 5.95m. I have no idea what other requirements there might be?

1 hour ago, Werangels said:

Based on each ship’s draft, it is possible.  Octant is 6 metre and Quest is 5.95m. I have no idea what other requirements there might be?

You are absolutely correct about the draft and the length is also no issue. As I see it, the problem is the beam. The “R” ships are about 5 feet too wide for the Iroquois locks just downstream from Montreal.

i have a buddy who helped attach the lines of the ships as they worked their way through the locks of the Welland Canal to bypass Niagara Falls. The Octantis was a tight fit.

As a sidebar, most of the large ships on the Great Lakes are lake freighters which are generally a different design than ocean ships. They are long, deep, and narrow. When you picture the infamous Edmund Fitzgerald you should think of a lake freighter. But don’t think about what happened to it.

Edited by nordski
  • Like 2

Thanks for this info @nordski   I have no idea about limitations on ship sizes on the St. Lawrence.  So I take it Québec would be the final port Azamara could make?  Is there a suitable dock in Trois-Rivières?  [There seems to be a good turnaround point just upriver in Lac Saint-Pierre, so there could be an interesting sail up and back from Québec even if no stop.]

• Like 1

We are booked on the August 5th Quest cruise, Montreal - Reykjavik, b2b with the following cruise on August 20th which was Reykjavik to Copenhagen and was 13 nights.   Last week we received an email from Azamara, similar to the one posted above, saying that the 2nd cruise was being shortened to 10 nights and would now be r/t Reykjavik ending on August 30th.  There was a new itinerary posted at the end of the email and one of the options given was to move to this new itinerary, get a pro-rated change of fare and some OBC.   We were told that we had until December 14th to advise Azamara of our decision.    

I told our TA that we would keep the August 5th cruise and would move to this new r/t Reykjavik cruise as a b2b, so this morning she phoned Azamara only to be told that the August 5th cruise has been cancelled.   We have never received any advice of this from Azamara and the cruise is still showing for sale on the website.     

I know quite a lot of people booked on the August 5th cruise when it was released so I'm wondering if anyone has received any information about a cancellation?