Lost Luggage Experiences

Mary229

We often discuss this topic at home and would like to hear anyone’s experiences.  We are flying internationally (South America) and did happen to use the cruise line’s flight service.  This flight is only available once daily so if our luggage is lost we won’t have reasonable time to retrieve the luggage the following day. In this case we are flying in a day early but adding another extra day is not feasible

Has anyone had experience with lost luggage?  Did the cruise line offer any assistance to forward luggage to the ship in next port?  I am curious.

Our habit  has always been to carry enough clothing to get by and only checking bags with dressier and extra clothing knowing we can always buy something if need be.  My pan has always been to tell the airline to return the luggage to my home airport  for delivery to my home (available in my area).

I appreciate any comments 

None of our luggage has ever been "lost", but we have had bags delayed getting to the final destination. Once we had a connection in Atlanta en route to Rio and the plane sat on the tarmac waiting for the gate to clear. Sat there so long we had to race through the airport to the next gate. They had just closed the plane door and we thought we were stuck -- the alternative flight would have been a very inconvenient routing through Sao Paulo. They actually opened the plane door for us - that never happens.

It was a better situation for the airline to re-open the door rather than send us on the re-route. Bags didn't make the plane, in Rio we filed a claim and the bags were sent to our first port, Salvador -- waiting for us on the dock.

Another time we were traveling from the Seychelles through Nairobi and Amsterdam to the states. Major snowstorm in Europe and all flights there cancelled - including the one headed to Nairobi for the turn around. We waited it out, finally got to Amsterdam (thank goodness we had Delta status and could wait again in the lounge). Even there the line for re-routes was incredibly long. One bag didn't make it home for about four months -- but it did find its way.

The cruise line has no power to expedite locating or delivering strayed bags. All you can do is file a claim at the arrival airport with your missing bag description, itinerary, including hotel, future cruise port information, etc. It is the airline's responsibility to locate and send your bag where you want it go -- the missing bag from Africa was delivered to our home about 35 miles from the nearest airport.

Bags that are truly "lost" -- i.e. bags that have no identification and are unclaimed, end up in the Unclaimed Baggage Center in Alabama.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Mary229 said:

We often discuss this topic at home and would like to hear anyone’s experiences.  We are flying internationally (South America) and did happen to use the cruise line’s flight service.  This flight is only available once daily so if our luggage is lost we won’t have reasonable time to retrieve the luggage the following day. In this case we are flying in a day early but adding another extra day is not feasible

Has anyone had experience with lost luggage?  Did the cruise line offer any assistance to forward luggage to the ship in next port?  I am curious.

Our habit  has always been to carry enough clothing to get by and only checking bags with dressier and extra clothing knowing we can always buy something if need be.  My pan has always been to tell the airline to return the luggage to my home airport  for delivery to my home (available in my area).

I appreciate any comments 

You are doing the right thing.  Pack in carry on a few outfits so that you have clothes when you arrive regardless of whether your luggage accompanies you or not.

Delayed luggage vs. lost luggage.  Most of us hopefully only deal with delayed luggage.  Lost is when it never shows up again - gone for good.  These are the airline terms for it anyway.

Assuming you are travelling as a couple and each checking a bag, then also do this:

* Pack half of your clothes in your partner's bag and your partner will do the same in your bag.  

* Always pack full sets of clothing in each bag - full outfits - and this includes socks, underwear, tops, bottoms, and shoes.  This way if one of the two bags gets delayed/lost, you still each have complete outfits along with your carry on.

Quite hilariously I have heard stories where one person had all their shoes, tops, and undergarments in the bag that got delayed... so they had the pants and shorts and all the other sundry items in the bag that showed up, but no shirts/tops, underwear, or shoes. 

We use Air Tags (Apple) and track our bags that way.  This can give you piece of mind too if you are anxious about your bag if it is delayed.  In a recent trip where one of our bags stayed on in Heathrow for a few days, we then watched its journey through Greece and finally to Cairo where we were reunited.

Don't book short connections as these CAN be the cause for a bag not making it.  If you have to run to get to the connection, then there is a chance that your bag won't make it to the plane either.

Watch what you are packing in your checked bag.  Most all airports scan these checked bags behind the scenes and your bag could be flagged for manual search and this could cause it to not make it.

Most of all, if you pack well with carry on and shared checked luggage bags, you won't be that disadvantaged when you arrive without one bag.  Pack well and hope for the best. 

• Like 3

@Shorex  do you know if it is the port agent that takes responsibility for the luggage until the ship arrives?  

My philosophy is worrying now and developing a plan far outweighs concerning myself about it once traveling.  From your experiences it seems it may be handy to have the port agent address and phone number for my early ports. 

Thank you and @CDNPolar for your responses

Edited by Mary229

In 2007 we did a Baltic cruise for our 30th anniversary. On the 8th day (Helsinki) while doing laundry, I overheard a woman say that her luggage was finally delivered to the ship. She also said Princess was very good at helping her with getting clothes up to that point. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

@Shorex  do you know if it is the port agent that takes responsibility for the luggage until the ship arrives?  

My philosophy is worrying now and developing a plan far outweighs concerning myself about it once traveling.  From your experiences it seems it may be handy to have the port agent address and phone number for my early ports. 

This is my experience and understanding, but my experience is with one cruise line only when luggage was delayed:

1) The delayed/lost luggage is generally a situation that exists between you and the airline.  You set up who the airline contacts when the luggage is recovered.  This might be by phone, email, or text.

2) You are the one that must start the process of tracing at your destination airport.  You will have to stand in line and fill the forms.

3) If you are being met at the airport by the cruise line, this is the best situation, as the cruise agent meeting you will be familiar with how these situations go and probably will accompany you to the lost luggage counter and guide you.

4) This contact you specify MIGHT be the cruise line, or a port agent.  Might be.  Might not be.  Hopefully there is a cruise line agent with you to guide you on this.

5) Since your air travel is booked with the cruise line, then the cruise line  MIGHT be the ones that will take on the contact and tracking of your luggage.  This is your best hope.

6) Make sure that you have contact information not only for you but for the cruise line.

7) You mentioned that there is only one flight per day, but it is not out of the question, that your luggage could be sent via another airline to your destination - if it was caught in time.  Likely not, but it is possible.

In general, get what help you can from the local cruise agent.  This happens frequently and they generally know the way to handle all this.

Many cruise lines will help you.

Also make sure that the cruise line knows you have delayed luggage on boarding - they will help you with missing items, and often offer free laundry until your delayed luggage is returned.

ALSO - KEEP all receipts for anything you buy.  Insurance will not reimburse unless you have receipts.

With all this, let's hope you don't have to deal with this.

Edited by CDNPolar
  • Thanks 1

I live by the adage “hope for the best, prepare for the worst”. It sounds like you do too. 
We also follow the plan of splitting our things between bags  I also make sure the things I MUST have, like meds, are in my carry-on or tote. The safest option is don’t check any bags. I’d rather have to do some laundry, than risk lost or delayed luggage. On rare occasions they have asked me to check my carry on when I got to the gate, usually on those little puddle jumpers that have small luggage compartments. I don’t mind this since I know the luggage is getting on and off the plane with me. My most important things, like meds, jewelry (I usually don't bring things I couldn’t bear to loose) passport, etc, stay with me in a bag or backpack that goes under the seat. 

FYI- you don’t say where in SA you are going. We often travel to Quito Ecuador. There, and many other places in SA (or the world) it’s not safe to wear expensive jewelry. I have a travel wedding ring I wear that is very simple. I leave my diamond at home. 
Be safe, have fun!!

6 minutes ago, Szt said:

FYI- you don’t say where in SA you are going. We often travel to Quito Ecuador. There, and many other places in SA (or the world) it’s not safe to wear expensive jewelry. I have a travel wedding ring I wear that is very simple. I leave my diamond at home. 
Be safe, have fun!!

Pickpockets and those that prey on tourists are in all cities everywhere in the world.  

Reducing the "bling" is always a good thing.

We even have wrist straps for our iPhone cases because there are areas of the world that will grab and run...  

16 hours ago, Mary229 said:

Most likely the airline delivery service acts through the port agent -- just makes sense. We travel internationally and domestically a great deal -- delayed bag situations have been few and far between.

We don't worry in advance about the possibility of delayed bags -- we just handle it. Our travel insurance covers expenses attributed to delayed and truly lost bags. Never had to use it -- even for the African experience.

7 hours ago, Shorex said:

Most likely the airline delivery service acts through the port agent -- just makes sense. We travel internationally and domestically a great deal -- delayed bag situations have been few and far between.

We don't worry in advance about the possibility of delayed bags -- we just handle it. Our travel insurance covers expenses attributed to delayed and truly lost bags. Never had to use it -- even for the African experience.

I rarely worry about it but I usually have more time on the ground before heading out on a remote sea voyage.  And South America, being what it is, seems to be a bit of a special case.  None of my 5 journeys there have ever gone off without a major issue.  I worry up front then enjoy the ease of away time.  (I traveled for a living for 30 years and even left my own luggage at home twice!)

One of the things that we consider is embarkation and disembarkation cities or countries.

Why?

Because if you can book the cruise one direction or the other, we will consider what direction we can get a direct flight to and leave the connection flight to the way home.  There is less likelihood - IMO - of delayed luggage when there is no connection.  Each time we have had delayed luggage it has been the connection and most often LHR is the airport that was the culprit.  

For instance, we leave for a River Cruise embarking in Amsterdam and disembarking in Basel.  The cruise is available in the opposite direction too.

We can fly direct to Amsterdam but have to connect coming home.  We chose the direction of the cruise for this reason.

Now, I have likely jinxed us for this flight....  fingers crossed!

• Like 1

Mary,  we do know one luxury cruise line that will generally get involved and work with the airlines to get luggage to a future port.  But this is likely the exception rather than the rule.  These days the stars favor those of us who are independent travelers and are used to taking personal control when things go wrong.  Just getting an airport to ship can be a challenge for some folks who do not seem to know about taxis,

uber, etc.

You are asking a great question, but the answer will vary depending on cruise line and even the individual Guest Relations Supervisor and Hotel Manager.  Bottom line is you should know how to dealt with the problem on your own, and then hope that you will find an ally on the ship.

Hank

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for your response Hank.  I had just never really thought about it but after being detained for the third time in South America last year (at a frontier crossing) I am crossing all of my Ts.   My usual plan is have credit card and passport will travel but that is not necessarily a quality plan.

The folks on this thread have given me great insight into the procedures and I appreciate all of your responses

• Like 1

For the same reason, I always fly to my cruise no later than the day before. I have traveled a lot and several times my luggage has arrived late - but only once in my 35+ cruises. Flew in to FLL - transatlantic via ORD. Our luggage arrived in the late afternoon of the day we were due to sail - the airline brought it directly to the ship. We gave notice when we checked in and got t-shirts on the ship so we could change.