Question for those that have done Hawaii from West Coast Departure

mommycruiser

@mommycruiser have you joined the roll call for your cruise, usually there are seasoned cruisers who have done the trip multiple times & are happy to share info

also I have lives (links in my signature) to our last 2 LA/Hawai'i cruises (March on the Crown & Jan 2022 on the Grand)...sign up for anything done by your Hawai'ian Ambassadors they will be wonderful.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, memoak said:

People here in Portland don’t use umbrellas. If we see someone with one we figure they are tourists or recent transplants

Many years ago we moved to the Seattle area.  We went up to Mt. Rainier to walk trails up there.  A friend of ours took a picture of us from behind, both of us using umbrellas on a day with just light drizzle on the trail.  She sent it to us saying that only people from California do this!!  We laugh about that picture to this day.  Glad to say that we went up to visit a couple months ago and walked some trails on a drizzly day without the umbrellas.

• Like 1

We did this same Christmas cruise (was on Royal) from San Fran to Hawaii last year. Yes on the jackets, and I must add bring Bonine or Less Drowsy Dramamine. My poor daughter was taking seasick meds every day and she still got horribly seasick on our way across the Pacific to Hawaii. Wound up in the medical center for stronger prescription meds. And if you can get the scopolamine ear patches before you leave I would bring them just in case (the medical center didn't have them). We have cruised many times all over the world and this particular route and time of year was more than we expected. I should add that the rest of us were fine, so you might not notice it, but best to be prepared. Holidays at sea were great! 

5 hours ago, phabric said:

I will be going to Hawaii from San Francisco late Sept/early Oct on the Ruby.

Will the weather be the same?

Sept and Oct are usually the best months, if not on the very warm side in San Francisco.  Hawaii will probably be hot but you know, weather changes.  
But, on average, it should be really nice weather.  

6 hours ago, phabric said:

I will be going to Hawaii from San Francisco late Sept/early Oct on the Ruby.

Will the weather be the same?

Sept/Oct is still hurricane season in the Pacific, so you never know.  I've sailed from SF so many times, and I can say after you pass the GG Bridge, the waters are never "like glass."  There are times where it's rougher and times when it's calmer, but you will definitely be feeling something.  

Having said that the Xmas cruise to Hawaii last year on the Royal Princess had to miss Ensenada because of the atmospheric rivers passing through California and beelined directly to SF from Hawaii.  In lieu of Ensenada, the ship overnighted in SF.  I guess Princess paid the fine for PVSA violations for the entire ship for the sake of safety.

I was on the Hawaii cruise after this and it was rough the first 2 days.  Vomit bags hanging from the staircases and we couldn't walk in a straight line and maintain balance at the same time.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SCX22 said:

Sept/Oct is still hurricane season in the Pacific, so you never know.  I've sailed from SF so many times, and I can say after you pass the GG Bridge, the waters are never "like glass."  There are times where it's rougher and times when it's calmer, but you will definitely be feeling something.  

Having said that the Xmas cruise to Hawaii last year on the Royal Princess had to miss Ensenada because of the atmospheric rivers passing through California and beelined directly to SF from Hawaii.  In lieu of Ensenada, the ship overnighted in SF.  I guess Princess paid the fine for PVSA violations for the entire ship for the sake of safety.

I was on the Hawaii cruise after this and it was rough the first 2 days.  Vomit bags hanging from the staircases and we couldn't walk in a straight line and maintain balance at the same time.

They can usually get a waiver in those circumstances 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Cruise Raider said:

Sept and Oct are usually the best months, if not on the very warm side in San Francisco.  Hawaii will probably be hot but you know, weather changes.  
But, on average, it should be really nice weather.  

We're sailing from San Francisco to Hawaii late September so this is reassuring. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CruisingFox27 said:

We're sailing from San Francisco to Hawaii late September so this is reassuring. 

You will most likely still need a jacket, at least a good wind breaker, up on deck for sail away but I hope your weather is sunny and warm.  That wind and possibly the fog will get you every time, though.  
Someone just posted on FB about being so disappointed and unprepared that it was only 66° in San Francisco and everyone was freezing.  Well, 66° in the sunshine December is a warm winter’s day here.  But again, that damp wind will get you every time.  

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

You will most likely still need a jacket, at least a good wind breaker, up on deck for sail away but I hope your weather is sunny and warm.  That wind and possibly the fog will get you every time, though.  
Someone just posted on FB about being so disappointed and unprepared that it was only 66° in San Francisco and everyone was freezing.  Well, 66° in the sunshine December is a warm winter’s day here.  But again, that damp wind will get you every time.  

Thanks. We're from the UK,  so we'd consider 66/68f to be pleasantly warm, it's certainly not what we'd consider freezing 😀 

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, SCX22 said:

There are waivers for PVSA violations in the event of something that is outside of the cruiseline’s control and for the safety of their ship, crew and passengers.  

That storm was pretty remarkable for the west coast.  Even up here in SF, we had a lake forming in our backyard and we are well outside of the flood zone.  In the decades that we’ve lived here, I pave never seen that much rain fall before.  Don’t get me wrong, we were happy about it.  

• Like 1

19 hours ago, SCX22 said:

No, they didn't. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CruisingFox27 said:

Thanks. We're from the UK,  so we'd consider 66/68f to be pleasantly warm, it's certainly not what we'd consider freezing 😀 

After living close to the SF Bay for quite a few years, I also think 66° F is gorgeous weather.  It’s picnic time for us!  

4 hours ago, Cruise Raider said:

WOW 66 is a heat wave. We are one state north and it is in the low 40’s

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, memoak said:

WOW 66 is a heat wave. We are one state north and it is in the low 40’s

An my sister is one state north of you and they got snow yesterday.  
I believe that the SF Bay Area has the best weather in the entire world!  

Edited by Cruise Raider

30 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

An my sister is one state north of you and they got snow yesterday.  
I believe that the SF Bay Area has the best weather in the entire world!  

Yes but it is nice having actual seasons which we really didn’t get in California 

42 minutes ago, memoak said:

Yes but it is nice having actual seasons which we really didn’t get in California 

I’m from the Midwest … I much prefer the weather here in California.  We only have to learn to live with a some shaky shaky from time to time.  😆 

1 minute ago, Cruise Raider said:

I’m from the Midwest … I much prefer the weather here in California.  We only have to learn to live with a some shaky shaky from time to time.  😆 

I was born and raised in Oakland and the East Bay. Moved to Oregon so I could actually be able to afford to retire

40 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

It sure is expensive to live here!  

From what I understand, prices are high all along the coast now.  

I don’t find things like food any different from California but the taxes are much less. We downsized from a 3b townhouse to a 1d condo and our property taxes were cut by over 2/3 as housing is cheaper here. Also we have no sales tax here and when the state raises more money than expected they estimated then we all get kickbacks on our income tax. We now can afford to cruise 4 times a year

• Thanks 1

On 12/8/2023 at 6:52 PM, travelin.sisters said:

@mommycruiser have you joined the roll call for your cruise, usually there are seasoned cruisers who have done the trip multiple times & are happy to share info

also I have lives (links in my signature) to our last 2 LA/Hawai'i cruises (March on the Crown & Jan 2022 on the Grand)...sign up for anything done by your Hawai'ian Ambassadors they will be wonderful.

Thanks for the information. 

• Like 1

On 12/9/2023 at 8:54 AM, rocklinmom said:

We did this same Christmas cruise (was on Royal) from San Fran to Hawaii last year. Yes on the jackets, and I must add bring Bonine or Less Drowsy Dramamine. My poor daughter was taking seasick meds every day and she still got horribly seasick on our way across the Pacific to Hawaii. Wound up in the medical center for stronger prescription meds. And if you can get the scopolamine ear patches before you leave I would bring them just in case (the medical center didn't have them). We have cruised many times all over the world and this particular route and time of year was more than we expected. I should add that the rest of us were fine, so you might not notice it, but best to be prepared. Holidays at sea were great! 

Thanks and great advice on the ear patches. 

On 12/10/2023 at 7:52 AM, Cruise Raider said:

Thanks for the tips and I will definitely be taking warm clothes after hearing from you guys.

• Like 1