Dinner Reykjavik

Slyfox16

On 12/9/2023 at 5:04 AM, Slyfox16 said:

Can anyone recommend a restaurant for a great dining experience,

Noting you are NY based, you may not be too shocked at the cost of "a great dining experience" in Reykjavik, but it might be best to be prepared by carrying out some online research, and especially so for any wines you might want to accompany your meal as alcohol is really quite pricey in Iceland.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, edinburgher said:

Noting you are NY based, you may not be too shocked at the cost of "a great dining experience" in Reykjavik, but it might be best to be prepared by carrying out some online research, and especially so for any wines you might want to accompany your meal as alcohol is really quite pricey in Iceland.

Actually, everything is quite pricey in Iceland!

• Like 1

you may not be too shocked at the cost of "a great dining experience"

Omigosh yes!!!! We went to a place (unfortunately I don't remember the name but it was on the left side of the main drag) We had the MOST wonderful lamb (locally raised) and least expensive bottle of wine of the menu. Dinner was $100. We took a taxi ride that was quite short and it was $20. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ontheweb said:

Actually, everything is quite pricey in Iceland!

It certainly is, although we thought Norway was even more expensive. I think that the further north one travels, the further north the prices rise.😉

Edited by edinburgher

11 hours ago, Slyfox16 said:

Thanks. I have been getting the impression that the prices are going to be on the steep side. On the other hand we have never been there, and we want to have a memorable dining experience.

I think someimes first time visitors to most Northern countries in that region are a bit surprised (and not in a good way) at the cost of  some relatively ordinary experiences, also memorable ones, and  it is thought helpful to advise of this in case the person is unaware of it.

Bon appetit!😀.

Edited by edinburgher

20 hours ago, edinburgher said:

It certainly is, although we thought Norway was even more expensive. I think that the further north one travels, the further north the prices rise.😉

The main reason for the high prices: everyone pays for many of the social services offered by the host country, from old age pension, to health insurance, etc. even though foreigners are not covered by it.  There is some difference by countries, but I no longer remember details. Even tourists benefit from some of the taxes; medical prescriptions generally cost less than in the US, medical care, if you need it, is excellent and less expensive, etc. 

Edited by janetcbl

3 hours ago, janetcbl said:

medical prescriptions generally cost less than in the US, medical care, if you need it, is excellent and less expensive,

In Scotland our prescription items are free and non private medical care is paid in a different way, actually through direct National Insce contributions, and as some other nationalities will be similar, we are paying high prices for little return, unless of course we should need hospital treatment, but our travel insce would cover that-I think!

Interesting that Americans would buy prescription medicine in Scandinavia, as we only saw them lining up to do that at pharmacies  in Mexican ports.

In Scotland our prescription items are free and non private medical care is paid in a different way, actually through direct National Insce contributions, and as some other nationalities will be similar, we are paying high prices for little return, unless of course we should need hospital treatment, but our travel insce would cover that-I think!

Interesting that Americans would buy prescription medicine in Scandinavia, as we only saw them lining up to do that at pharmacies  in Mexican ports.

I was living for a year in Denmark when I had to get the prescription. I don’t know of anyone who has gone to Scandinavia to buy prescriptions.😁

15 hours ago, edinburgher said:

Not sure how it is in actual Scandinavia, but at least in fellow Nordic country Finland you would need a prescription written in EU, ETA or Switzerland to be able to buy prescription medicines in pharmacies, thus a prescription eg. from USA or UK would not be accepted.

11 hours ago, janetcbl said:

I was living for a year in Denmark when I had to get the prescription. I don’t know of anyone who has gone to Scandinavia to buy prescriptions.😁

I didn't think for a minute that they would  make a special journey, , but thought you were indicating that if already there they could buy some and pay less.

Edited by edinburgher

41 minutes ago, Hezu said:

Finland you would need a prescription written in EU, ETA or Switzerland to be able to buy prescription medicines in pharmacies, thus a prescription eg. from USA or UK would not be accepted.

Hezu,I think you meant to quote janetcbi not myself as she was the one suggesting it could be done by Americans. 

I had pointed out that in Scotland our prescriptions are free, (so no need to buy in a different country,) also  that we never saw Americans buying medication anywhere  other than in Mexico.

Edited by edinburgher