Live from Ascent’s second week long sailing ever!

Ben100014

LauraS
This post was recognized by LauraS!

"And another from Ben100014! Thank you for generously sharing your time at sea with everyone at Cruise Critic! See your post featured on our: Click: Live Cruise Reports page.. . When you return, please consider submitting it to the site for publication as well: Click: Write a Review"

Ben100014 was awarded the badge '"Live from...."' and 5 points.

Hi all,

Currently sailing on the way from Ft. Lauderdale to Nassau onboard the brand new Ascent, and thought I’d give some brief thoughts of the experience so far.

Boarding was the best I’ve ever experienced. From shore to ship in less than 10 minutes - X has really perfected this experience. Other lines take notes!

I first went onboard and did as we all do first on a ship - ate. The OVC definitely seems larger than the Apex with a lot more seating. Food and service were very nice. Typical X fare. 

I then booked a haircut onboard, and ended up getting a great haircut by Angelo at the barber shop, and he was gracious enough to offer to move my haircut to the salon for me to watch the sail away while he styled my hair. Interestingly enough, he told me he was the one who styled Captain Kate's hair onboard the Beyond and was featured in several of her TikTok and Instagram posts. It was a pleasant surprise!

The rest of the day was spent unpacking, exploring the ship. (very impressed with the layout so far - they've taken the already excellent E class design and made it even more spacious and efficient). Ate with my brother and parents at the Cosmopolitan for dinner, and was VERY impressed with the service and food. I was on the Eclipse a month ago and the food quality wasn't nearly as good- which concerned me that the quality of food had gone down. For at least this sailing, X seems to have brought all of their top crew onboard and it shows. Everything service wise has just been great. 

Ended the evening with the excellent CD Luigi and a funny comedian whose name is escaping me right now.

My only major complaint is our stateroom (7305) has a rather strong lingering stale cigarette smell which really bothers me. It seems someone either smoked in here on one of the last sailings or smoke is traveling in here somehow. I alerted GR and they sent the housekeeping manager in to spray air freshener and investigate, but to no success. I'm hoping they can find a way to fix this as it is quite bothersome and shocking for a brand new ship to have this. My parents' room next door doesn't have the same odor, so it's definitely an isolated issue. 

Regardless, on the whole, everyone and everything has been wonderful so far. Will try to update as the week goes on.

From the middle of the ocean by the Bahamas,

Ben 

Edited by Ben100014
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 4

One of the smoking areas is on Deck 5 mid ship, but since you are farther aft I wouldn’t think smoke would drift that far.  Possibly someone smoked in the cabin or on the balcony with the door open on the previous cruise.  I hope the smell disappears soon.

• Like 1

Getting on board to follow.

We board Ascent on Feb 11th. Looking forward to see what has changed or not from the other Edge ships.

Which brother is Captain on this cruise? Any idea which brother will be on board in February?

Thanks for posting!

Cheers! 

• Like 1

Cigarette smell is fairly is unmistakable, but do check the drain in the bathroom.  Many who have been on other Edge class ships have experienced a smell emanating from that drain.  Hot water seems to help if the cause is the "trap."  Also, ask for a new air filter.  There's an entire thread on mold/smell on Beyond, and while Ascent is new the cabins were installed weeks or months ago and so on.  Not saying it's anything other than cigarettes, or that there's an issue, but it does seem to occur.  

• Like 1

Thank you for doing this. We are on it 1/28. Can’t wait! Do you have anytime dining or a set time? We were assigned 8:30pm which is ok with us generally. However on our last sailing on the Beyond 2022, the set times were not honored and even at 8:30 there were long lines to get seated. It’s my understanding that assigned set times are not honored on E class ships. The problem is because we have a set time the app won’t let us make reservations. I called but of course I was told to deal with it once onboard. I’d love to forgo the lines at guest services if you report that the lines aren’t bad. Thanks and enjoy your cruise!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, dleahy4444 said:

Thank you for doing this. We are on it 1/28. Can’t wait! Do you have anytime dining or a set time? We were assigned 8:30pm which is ok with us generally. However on our last sailing on the Beyon

d 2022, the set times were not honored and even at 8:30 there were long lines to get seated. It’s my understanding that assigned set times are not honored on E class ships. The problem is because we have a set time the app won’t let us make reservations. I called but of course I was told to deal with it once onboard. I’d love to forgo the lines at guest services if you report that the lines aren’t bad. Thanks and enjoy your cruise!

We will also be on board 1/28..nice roll call going!

We are in AQ Class so will dine in BLU but have several res at Specalty Rest.  If you try any let us know how you liked them! 

Hope we do not have any odor issues..I am sensitive to mold and tobacco smell..

10 minutes ago, hcat said:

We are in AQ Class so will dine in BLU but have several res at Specalty Rest.  If you try any let us know how you liked them! 

Hcat looking forward to our sailing. I’m on the roll call as well.

OP, I was once on a royal carribean cruise where the occupants of the room next to us were smoking cigars on their balcony! I informed the room attendant and they said they would address it but by that time our room smelled like an ashtray. Hope this is resolved soon.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, dleahy4444 said:

I called but of course I was told to deal with it once onboard. I’d love to forgo the lines at guest services if you report that the lines aren’t bad. Thanks and enjoy your cruise!

Go to any restaurant with someone at the kiosk and ask for times, etc..I don't believe you have to visit guest services.  

20 hours ago, jelayne said:

One of the smoking areas is on Deck 5 mid ship, but since you are farther aft I wouldn’t think smoke would drift that far.  Possibly someone smoked in the cabin or on the balcony with the door open on the previous cruise.  I hope the smell disappears soon.

It seems the smell is from a previous tenant. I will say X has been very proactive at following up with me and trying different things to get the smell out. It’s gotten better, but still seems to be lingering! 

11 hours ago, countess5 said:

Getting on board to follow.

We board Ascent on Feb 11th. Looking forward to see what has changed or not from the other Edge ships.

Which brother is Captain on this cruise? Any idea which brother will be on board in February?

Thanks for posting!

Cheers! 

The older brother is on for the first Contract. Tasos got off on Sunday from what I understand. I believe they're 3 on 3 off, so there's a chance Tasos is on then depending on when in Feb you are going.

10 hours ago, Cap_D said:

Cigarette smell is fairly is unmistakable, but do check the drain in the bathroom.  Many who have been on other Edge class ships have experienced a smell emanating from that drain.  Hot water seems to help if the cause is the "trap."  Also, ask for a new air filter.  There's an entire thread on mold/smell on Beyond, and while Ascent is new the cabins were installed weeks or months ago and so on.  Not saying it's anything other than cigarettes, or that there's an issue, but it does seem to occur.  

Tried smelling the sink and didn't notice anything, but will definitely ask for a filter. Could be smoke left over from the workers at the shipyard, but I find that the most unlikely option.

10 hours ago, dleahy4444 said:

Thank you for doing this. We are on it 1/28. Can’t wait! Do you have anytime dining or a set time? We were assigned 8:30pm which is ok with us generally. However on our last sailing on the Beyond 2022, the set times were not honored and even at 8:30 there were long lines to get seated. It’s my understanding that assigned set times are not honored on E class ships. The problem is because we have a set time the app won’t let us make reservations. I called but of course I was told to deal with it once onboard. I’d love to forgo the lines at guest services if you report that the lines aren’t bad. Thanks and enjoy your cruise!

We were assigned 8:30, but found this was too late, and the Cosmopolitan Matre'd was more than accommodating to let us come in with a reserved table at 6. She told us we could just walk in at 6 and bypass any line as our table would be held for us. Hadn't experienced this before, but worked for us!

10 hours ago, hcat said:

Rooftop Garden scheduled for later this week. Looking forward to trying as it was great on Apex!

9 hours ago, dleahy4444 said:

Hcat looking forward to our sailing. I’m on the roll call as well.

OP, I was once on a royal carribean cruise where the occupants of the room next to us were smoking cigars on their balcony! I informed the room attendant and they said they would address it but by that time our room smelled like an ashtray. Hope this is resolved soon.

Cigars are awful! Sorry you had to deal with this.

• Thanks 1

Day 2 updates:

Had breakfast at OVC this morning. The additional seating is definitely noticeable. Plenty of places to sit and crowding is much less of an issue than on other ships. The layout really is much improved!

Briefly got off in Nassau as I've been there several times to check out the new port. Way nicer and more organized than it used to be! Well done.

Found the infinity/plunge pools and they are very nice! Great addition. Then went to the mast grill for an always excellent burger and hung out in the solarium for a few hours to relax. Met a few people who agreed the ship is X's best yet. I love those "hot tub conversations."

Excellent dinner and service at Cosmopolitan. Wilson is a top notch and attentive waiter. 

Spent some time listening to the singer and pianist at Eden, and they were quite lovely. Now waiting in the theater to see the "Bridges" production show. My older parents (70 and 75) didn't really care for it and noted that others were walking out at the 7:30 showing, so I'll have to see how it is. Apparently my parents got the impression they're trying to appeal to a younger demographic.

Anyway, all is good onboard. Sea day tomorrow so looking forward to sleeping in!

From the theater with sore thumbs,

Ben

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Ben100014 said:

It seems the smell is from a previous tenant. I will say X has been very proactive at following up with me and trying different things to get the smell out. It’s gotten better, but still seems to be lingering! 

Have them check the curtains.  Sometimes curtains can still smell after someone has smoked in the room. 

2 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

Have them check the curtains.  Sometimes curtains can still smell after someone has smoked in the room. 

Good idea. Will definitely try. The E class doesn’t have traditional curtains, but rather a shade that retracts into the ceiling electronically. 

• Thanks 1

Thanks for your reports and wishing you a great cruise. We are sailing on the 2/11 sailing and are looking forward to trying Celebrity for the first time. We have a fixed dining time at 6 pm and I’m wondering if we will be assigned one of the 4 dining rooms? Or are you able to try the different dining rooms with the traditional, fixed time dining?

1 hour ago, Ben100014 said:

Day 2 updates:

Had breakfast at OVC this morning. The additional seating is definitely noticeable. Plenty of places to sit and crowding is much less of an issue than on other ships. The layout really is much improved!

Briefly got off in Nassau as I've been there several times to check out the new port. Way nicer and more organized than it used to be! Well done.

Found the infinity/plunge pools and they are very nice! Great addition. Then went to the mast grill for an always excellent burger and hung out in the solarium for a few hours to relax. Met a few people who agreed the ship is X's best yet. I love those "hot tub conversations."

Excellent dinner and service at Cosmopolitan. Wilson is a top notch and attentive waiter. 

Spent some time listening to the singer and pianist at Eden, and they were quite lovely. Now waiting in the theater to see the "Bridges" production show. My older parents (70 and 75) didn't really care for it and noted that others were walking out at the 7:30 showing, so I'll have to see how it is. Apparently my parents got the impression they're trying to appeal to a younger demographic.

Anyway, all is good onboard. Sea day tomorrow so looking forward to sleeping in!

From the theater with sore thumbs,

Ben

As an edit, the show was great! Theater was completely packed, never seen so many seats filled. People were sitting on the floor and no one walked out - I guess my parents are just not a fan of the “New Age” entertainment, but I found the show very eclectic and well done. Everyone loved it. 

And the Captain Dimitros was HILARIOUS. Love the brothers.

Edited by Ben100014
  • Like 6

11 hours ago, Ben100014 said:

Day 2 updates:

Great to hear about the additional seating.  How about enough staff to clear tables? 
Our experience on the Apex last month was terrible as dirty tables were often left untouched due to what seemed to be a shortage of staff.   At more than one lunch we pushed the dirty dishes from to the side just to have a seat.  No-one came the entire time we ate.   

1 hour ago, Koohiichan said:

Thanks for this live report. It’s getting me excited for our New Years cruise. Would you mind telling me where the plunge pools are? (I cruised Apex last year but don’t remember seeing those on that ship.)

Thanks

Koohiichan

If Like the Beyond they are on the way to the Sunset Bar.

IMG_6030.thumb.jpeg.6c0e0258a343491de6ba50ba396595b3.jpeg

Cheers! 

• Like 1