Food Allergies - Can I take food off the ship into Harvest Cay?

SRQMom

Due to food allergies in our family, we are wondering about being able to take food off the ship at Harvest Cay.  Any restrictions?  We know we can go back to the ship for lunch etc, but plan to do excursions, etc.  Thanks!

You aren't supposed to take food off the ship. I don't as there isn't a need (for me). But, I also don't remember any security station that you have to pass through getting off the ship where you would be stopped. You would definitely be taking a chance at disobeying a local law/NCL policy, but the chances you would be caught are probably fairly slim. 

If you do have a severe allergy, perhaps you can contact the Access Desk to ask them if there is anything permissible you can take off the ship due to the allergy. Then you could do this in a rule/law abiding way. I don't know the answer, but I'm sure they'd be happy to help you. 

Good luck and don't do anything improper! 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, SRQMom said:

Due to food allergies in our family, we are wondering about being able to take food off the ship at Harvest Cay.  Any restrictions?  We know we can go back to the ship for lunch etc, but plan to do excursions, etc.  Thanks!

Do you have the food allergies noted in your reservations?

If you do, besides the care that will be taken in the Main Dining Room and the option to have food brought up to the buffet when the MDR is closed for breakfast and lunch, you may be able to discuss food options on Harvest Cay and the ship sponsored excursions.

31 minutes ago, Beaver1975 said:

Nope, cannot take food off the ship.  Besides what food allergies would preclude from eating on the island?

Serious anaphylaxic types (peanut, strawberry and others) and cross contamination in these type places is very possible.  We carry an epi pen for emergencies but that's something we avoid at all costs of course.  Typically we carry a doctors note to concerts/sporting events to be able to bring in food etc. but figured there'd certainly be other passenger's with similar needs and was looking for info on best practices, experiences etc.

59 minutes ago, SRQMom said:

Serious anaphylaxic types (peanut, strawberry and others) and cross contamination in these type places is very possible.  We carry an epi pen for emergencies but that's something we avoid at all costs of course.  Typically we carry a doctors note to concerts/sporting events to be able to bring in food etc. but figured there'd certainly be other passenger's with similar needs and was looking for info on best practices, experiences etc.

Yes, my husband becomes ill from eating mushrooms, my daughter has an ep ipen worthy allergy to bananas with cross linked sensitivity to avocado and latex.   

2 hours ago, SRQMom said:

I don’t think a doctors note will trump laws in different countries. I have a couple with celiac and just bring factory sealed snacks from home.

I have read comments from people with similar issues who have been able to get a lunch packed to take with them.  No guarantees but it doesn't hurt to ask.

The standard verbage is usually no food off the ship, I've not been to Harvest Cay so can't speak to the regulations there. But if it's in your bag, they aren't going to stop you either. However, for future reference, there are some ports where there are reasons to not take food, especially fruit - and they may have dogs in the terminal, checking for contraband. Not sure if a medical exception would apply in that situation.

On past sailings (granted, I have not sailed since 2017 but planning to soon) I always packed granola bars from home just in case I got hungry for a snack and could not find good places to eat. One time they really came in handy because we realized we didn't have the right credit card after we were seated at a restaurant and it served as our lunch!!! I'm not sure it was against the rules but it was sealed, and not fruit, nuts, or meat. 

Edited by schwartzy

I have never seen a road block stopping g anyone getting off at harvest caye. Some ports have guards and dogs and a huge garbage can full of food. It will be a different story getting back on the ship. 
the worse thing that will happen is they throw it out when you are getting off the ship. Just pack it in your carry tote. They don’t scan it leaving the ship.

I'm not sure how far away your cruise is, but contact the NCL Access Desk and inform them of the allergies. While Harvest Caye is technically Roatan, it's still NCL's "private island" and something will be done to accommodate the allergy. If the sailing is soon, then on embarkation day, talk to Guest Services about getting you in touch with the ship's restaurant manager.

On 12/12/2023 at 4:19 PM, cruisinmeme said:

I have never seen a road block stopping g anyone getting off at harvest caye. Some ports have guards and dogs and a huge garbage can full of food. It will be a different story getting back on the ship. 
the worse thing that will happen is they throw it out when you are getting off the ship. Just pack it in your carry tote. They don’t scan it leaving the ship.

Often the dogs are ports are not drug dogs, they're food dogs.  They're sniffing (scanning) for food.