Age of fellow cruisers has a huge impact on how people enjoy a cruise

Interestedcruisefan

51 minutes ago, Bill Y said:

A tad ambitious maybe?

Certainly a pipe dream cruise and plenty of bragging rights, but when people come back to earth how many can afford the cost and time, just imagine the tips alone, but then if you are committing to a trip that will costs many hundreds of thousands of dollars in total what are tips. I am surprised the plug was not pulled earlier due to lack of takers.

The the organisation must have been a nightmare, one just can't rock up to the Galapagos or Antarctica etc in any old ship. it would not be straightforward I imagine just rebooking the ports for a years time.   

Time will tell if such a venture will raise its head again

The World has been cruising for nearly 20 years. https://aboardtheworld.com/our-story/

There is a new ship scheduled next year (Ville Vie) which will cruise around the world every 3 1/2 years, there is an option to purchase a condo or buy segments, quite interesting reading. We were alerted to this ship as one of the speakers on Queen Elizabeth was due to pay a deposit on one of the condo's on her.

https://www.insider.com/residential-cruise-startup-condos-at-sea-photos-2023-10

On 12/16/2023 at 2:28 PM, yorkshirephil said:

The World has been cruising for nearly 20 years. https://aboardtheworld.com/our-story/

There is a new ship scheduled next year (Ville Vie) which will cruise around the world every 3 1/2 years, there is an option to purchase a condo or buy segments, quite interesting reading. We were alerted to this ship as one of the speakers on Queen Elizabeth was due to pay a deposit on one of the condo's on her.

Hi

Ville Vie has bought Fred Olsens Braemar……

Edited by JeanieC,Aston
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, JeanieC,Aston said:

Hi

Ville Vie has bought Fred Olsens Braemar……

I did wonder where they had got the ship from as it looks quite old, I should have known as we have had several lovely cruises on Braemar but she certainly needed some TLC and is knocking on a bit.

• Like 1

At least this lot have managed to acquire a ship if only recently so they must be breathing a sigh of relief. I must admit that this Residences / Condominium complex at sea concept is new to me and wonder what the take up age will be.

The aforementioned “life at sea” and their cancelled cruise, the website still has the Itinerary starting 1st Nov 2023, hardly confidence inspiring considering the costs involved especially at the moment you are still required to book the full voyage, Interesting times ahead.

2 hours ago, Presto2 said:

To the original question my thought is that it isn't the age of the passengers that is important but the nature of the passengers. There is bad and good in all age groups --- 

I know where you are coming from but kind of disagree

Younger people are generally more louder and more energy

Doesn't make them bad

Older people generally quieter and more sedate

Doesn't make them bad either

A louder and more energetic cruise wouldn't feel as nice to older people

A quieter and very sedate cruise might feel boring to younger agegroups

Nobody needs to be 'bad' in either agegroup for a cruise to feel the right vibe for you or not

As the lady I spoke to observed

Obviously many many exceptions to my generalisations above as well

Edited by Interestedcruisefan
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

I know where you are coming from but kind of disagree

Younger people are generally more louder and more energy

Doesn't make them bad

Older people generally quieter and more sedate

Doesn't make them bad either

A louder and more energetic cruise wouldn't feel as nice to older people

A quieter and very sedate cruise might feel boring to younger agegroups

Nobody needs to be 'bad' in either agegroup for a cruise to feel the right vibe for you or not

As the lady I spoke to observed

Obviously many many exceptions to my generalisations above as well

I work with about 100 adults of all ages. Believe me they are all different and sorry disagree with your observations. To me it'd about personality not age.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

I work with about 100 adults of all ages. Believe me they are all different and sorry disagree with your observations. To me it'd about personality not age.

It wasn't my observation. It was recounted to me by a newly retired teacher who cruised both on Iona and Ventura recently and noticed big differences in ages and vibe on the ship.

I just passed on what she said

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

It wasn't my observation. It was recounted to me by a newly retired teacher who cruised both on Iona and Ventura recently and noticed big differences in ages and vibe on the ship.

I just passed on what she said

One swallow doesn't make a summer though ... the problem seems to be you overthink everything when it comes to cruising.  That lady's had her experiences but they aren’t reflective of everyone else who may have sailed those two ships.

Everyone is different, every crowd is different, every group of passengers is different ... you can't put people in pigeon holes because it simply isn't possible.  Age, like everything is not relevant.

If you try to stop overthinking what your fellow guests are experiencing you might actually find it is quite simple. Everyone wants FUN but in their own way.

Edited by Megabear2
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

One swallow doesn't make a summer though ... the problem seems to be you overthink everything when it comes to cruising.  That lady's had her experiences but they aren’t reflective of everyone else who may have sailed those two ships.

Everyone is different, every crowd is different, every group of passengers is different ... you can't put people in pigeon holes because it simply isn't possible.  Age, like everything is not relevant.

If you try to stop overthinking what your fellow guests are experiencing you might actually find it is quite simple. Everyone wants FUN but in their own way.

Age is very relevant though to what fellow cruisers enjoy and want around them MB

Saga (for example) very much use it as a selling point for their cruises

"You can share your interests with like-minded people and enjoy a more grown-up atmosphere"

I know my parents have deliberately avoided Saga (until now) as NOT wanting to put themselves in amongst all older people. Yet enjoyed that same atmosphere once they were there

And I've seen enough complaints on here either about kids on ships or families not controlling their kids to see that younger people on ships can spoil a cruise for some older people

it also allows entertainment to be more targeted at particular agegroups 

And all the facilities on the ship can be geared to older agegroups. Space doesn't need to be allocated to kids clubs etc

I don't think I'm overthinking. I think generally birds of a feather do like to flock together 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

And I've seen enough complaints on here either about kids on ships or families not controlling their kids to see that younger people on ships can spoil a cruise for some older people

So you think those who will not control their kids does not spoil it for the rest of the people 

regardless of age ?🤔

10 minutes ago, kalos said:

So you think those who will not control their kids does not spoil it for the rest of the people 

regardless of age ?🤔

Yes they spoil it for everyone hence why many cruisers (who are able) opt for adults only cruisers so it doesn't happen to them

You are kind of backing up my point above tbh?

Many complaints re Iona and Arvia wouldn't be possible complaints if they were adult only ships

People already warn to avoid these ships in school holiday time as it is

When I'm older I myself might be more inclined to look for adult only ships

I'm not at that stage yet

I totally understand people who are

• Thanks 2

When I used to do the working mens clubs I used to hear young adults and 

old ones say " Not coming in tomorrow as they have a disco on "

Plenty of old folk would still be in there and after a few jars would be shaking their bones about the place along side the younger aged .

Bingo night was met with the same but other way around with younger adults sat with the 

older ones all trying to win but all having fun .

Some people would steer clear as it wasn't for them and go to the pub up the road .

A bit like your cruise ships ,you choose the ones you like and steer clear of the ones you don't .

Some ships are livelier than others and adults of all ages will chose what suits them and I would agree that some ships will draw a certain age group more than others .

• Like 2

When I've investigated this further

There's lots of articles which actually advise on the best cruise lines and actual ships within the fleets according to age demographic of the passenger

Advising which ships and cruises to go for and which to avoid etc

36 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

There's lots of articles which actually advise on the best cruise lines and actual ships within the fleets according to age demographic of the passenger

Well I cannot think of anything worse than being forced to only travel on adults only ships and as a 68 year old assume you are telling me that's where I belong! There's also the cost, not every pensioner has pots of disposable cash but with your thinking they aren't going to be catered for on non adult only ships - entertainment etc.  You tell me constantly your very budget conscious is that now only exclusive to your age group and below then?

Iona and Arvia are multi generational.  They need entertainment for all age groups.  You seem to be living some pipe dream that your  younger generation are going to fill these ships on their own which is complete garbage. 

If you actually make it to Iona for 35 nights you just might be in for a shock.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

Well I cannot think of anything worse than being forced to only travel on adults only ships and as a 68 year old assume you are telling me that's where I belong! There's also the cost, not every pensioner has pots of disposable cash but with your thinking they aren't going to be catered for on non adult only ships - entertainment etc.  You tell me constantly your very budget conscious is that now only exclusive to your age group and below then?

Iona and Arvia are multi generational.  They need entertainment for all age groups.  You seem to be living some pipe dream that your  younger generation are going to fill these ships on their own which is complete garbage. 

Some of the so called youth of today think they know it all and what is best for everyone else, they forget we have been there done that and got the T-shirt.

Some of them need to walk a mile in our shoes, at least then they would be a mile away😉

• Like 5
  • Haha 6

1 hour ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

As you know, we had some issues on Iona. None of them was caused by children. If anything, the children and young adults were the only ones to show us an ounce of consideration at the lifts, whilst to many of their parents and grandparents generation we were invisible. 

Also, as I have already stated, our experiences and preferences about the different ships and cruise experiences are the polar opposite of what this sole lady has told you. 

I follow the news and politics quite a bit. One thing that you often hear is that any poll of just a few thousand people carries a high degree of risk as to how that will be reflected across the population at large. Knowing that, to generalise about everything based on just one or two options, whether that be this infamous lady, your own personal opinion, or mine for that matter, is futile. All opinions are equally valid, but opinions are all that they are. 

• Like 3

We do steer clear of school holidays, price is the main reason but the thought of hundreds of kids, many unsupervised, is another. As others have said, adults of all ages can be both pleasant and rude. Some cruises we have been lucky, others not so, with so many people, it is a lottery.

• Like 1

My one cruise on Azura was enough to tell us we like Adult Only.  The rear pool which was Adult only, they brought the kids club down one day, one child crapped in the pool and so that was out of action for 3 days.   Then there were the kids finding it funny to run around late in the evening rapping on people's doors and running away.  Yes I know it's the parents fault, but just saying.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Megabear2 said:

We always enjoy our cruises no matter what MB. Fellow cruisers won't impact our enjoyment

We even had a great time at Warner's hayling island mid 20s when we arrived there not realising the demographics. Albeit we made friends with a lot of the young staff etc

We go with the flow. Sounds like you do too

Many will have preferences hence I say my points are generalisations

But clearly certain brands of cruise line and certain ships and entertainment and activities  are alll particularly aimed at certain agegroups

Makes sense of course to do that

Hard to please all of the people all of the time

As we all know when posting on here!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

We always enjoy our cruises no matter what MB. Fellow cruisers won't impact our enjoyment

We even had a great time at Warner's hayling island mid 20s when we arrived there not realising the demographics. Albeit we made friends with a lot of the young staff etc

We go with the flow. Sounds like you do too

Many will have preferences hence I say my points are generalisations

But clearly certain brands of cruise line and certain ships and entertainment and activities  are alll particularly aimed at certain agegroups

Makes sense of course to do that

Hard to please all of the people all of the time

As we all know when posting on here!!

I'm sure you'll enjoy yourselves, in fact I think even if you absolutely hated aspects of it you'd have a wonderful time.  I wasn't suggesting you won't merely pointing out that on a 35 night cruise the whole affair will be a different vibe.  The long cruises are calmer, more laid back.  To give you an idea there are a large number of contributors to this forum on that cruise so a lot of them are the very people you're banishing!

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Presto2 said:

To the original question my thought is that it isn't the age of the passengers that is important but the nature of the passengers. There is bad and good in all age groups --- 

I think it also depends on how one or your cruising group react to others not behaving as you might. Then there is cruising as a couple, group of besties, taking your elderly mother on a cruise, a family with children of different ages or however and then you encounter loud music venue when it suddenly all goes arms in the air. Same cruise with different cruise mates vastly different experience anytime you encounter anything.

Regards John

• Haha 1

https://news.sky.com/story/the-couple-who-sold-everything-to-live-on-cruise-ships-for-the-rest-of-their-lives-13028137

• Like 1