Balcony vs Glacier Bay…what’s more important?

Christmas present

Hello! First time Alaska cruiser. I have narrowed it down to RT inside passage out of Vancouver. Due to cost, I am looking at Holland or Princess, but am leaning towards Princess due to more activities for our kids. My question is: should I go with a balcony on their Endicott Arm/Dawes Glacier itinerary or an interior room on their Glacier Bay itinerary?  It is out of our budget to do a balcony and Glacier Bay. Being newbies from Texas, we will be impressed with any type of glacier. Just wondering what would be better to spend our money on. Thank you!

• Like 2

Glacier viewing by cruise ships is dependent on ice conditions in the vicinity of the glacier. Endicott Arm/Dawes is more likely to be canceled due to ice conditions than Glacier Bay. Glacier Bay is larger and more glaciers than the Endicott Arm. If  one glacier is iced out in Glacier Bay, the cruise ship will visit other glaciers. If you want glacier viewing, Glacier Bay is more likely to satisfy.

An interior room is fine on an Alaskan cruise, since you want to out on deck, especially on glacier day.

I would do interior room and Glacier Bay. Especially if this may be your only trip to Alaska.

Glacier Bay is rarely missed. It is best to be on deck anyway and move amongst the ship.

Glacier Bay is worth it - Park Rangers come onboard the ship and there will be plenty of activities for the kiddos. It is a National Park for a reason.

Edited by Coral
  • Like 2

On 12/17/2023 at 9:16 PM, Christmas present said:

Just wondering what would be better to spend our money on

there has been much past debate about the pros and cons of a balcony in Alaska, and this recent thread could be of interest to you, especially posts #6 #7 and #9

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2962510-longer-round-trip-cruise-or-land-and-sea-combo/#comment-66384732

Edited by edinburgher

7 hours ago, kayehall said:

What about an in-between cabin?  Oceanview,   but no balcony.  I am sure the kids would love the views!!!

The only reason I would get an ocean view would be for daylight. Some people can't function with out natural light. 

An obstructed view can be a good choice too. This was our view on the Sapphire Princess. The natural light was nice to keep our body clocks normal. We also used the view to check the weather, see how close we were to port, etc. I don't remember the price difference but everyone in our party was happy with the choice. 

I think the balcony is only a must if you or your party have mobility issues. Then it is nice to have that dedicated space to view Glacier Bay, College Fjord, etc. 

cruise view.jpg

• Like 1

We absolutely relish our aft balconies, however, be careful in your selection because some are the nice larger ones.

We typically get one on the Baja or Dolphin deck (corner depending on the ship) and really use it. You can spot wildlife without even being dressed yet for the day.

It sounds as if Glacier Bay is not on the itinerary of the ones with which you can afford a balcony. That is understandable.

BTW- Princess has fantastic programs for kids in Alaska (and other itineraries too).

This is a close one for me but I would go with the Balcony.  I would not do Alaska wothout a balcony.  Glacier Bay is great but it is 1 day of the cruise.  The scenery and wildlife that can be seen from the balcony every day is amazing.  There is nothing better than getting out of bed with a cup of coffee and stepping out on the balcony to look for whales.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Another vote for Glacier Bay...it was fabulous.  We had a balcony in September years ago on Princess  which visited Glacier Bay and we still ended up on the bow of the ship for a better view of the glaciers.  Plus, usually it was too cold or rainy to sit out on our balcony and we never did see any whales from it.

4 hours ago, lynncarol said:

Another vote for Glacier Bay...it was fabulous.  We had a balcony in September years ago on Princess  which visited Glacier Bay and we still ended up on the bow of the ship for a better view of the glaciers.  Plus, usually it was too cold or rainy to sit out on our balcony and we never did see any whales from it.

Some balconies have partial or full coverage.