Hawaiian Holiday 🎄🍾 LIVE from Koningsdam Dec 21-Jan 6: join me for my 1st solo cruise & 1st inside cabin!

Haljo1935

Got my own pot of coffee today - yay?😊

How much juice does 1 person need? I better get busy, slosh slosh...

20231224_102003.thumb.jpg.73cd9a7927d7b825ca8296c9e593cdbf.jpg

And I got a half grapefruit, too, so I think I'm good on the Vit C today 

Edited by Haljo1935
Typo
  • Like 5
  • Haha 4

7 minutes ago, Nickelpenny said:

How are you “liking” your inside cabin?  I love mine!

You know, I am. The only thing I still cannot get used to, and I knew it would be an adjustment, is not being able to sit out early AM w/coffee & bacon watching the sunrise.

I'm fortunate that I'm not in a tiny box w/small shower that I've read about. It doesn't feel cramped and the TV is not at a weird angle, so no struggles there. 

A/C works great, no real noise (other than the dogs) like slamming balcony doors and no "traffic" since it's forward of the forward elevators (only traffic are people in the cabins or servicing them). 😊

Edited by Haljo1935
Typo
  • Like 9

3 minutes ago, Haljo1935 said:

You know, I am. The only thing I still cannot get used to, and I knew it would be an adjustment, is not being able to sit out early AM w/coffee & bacon watching the sunrise.

I'm fortunate that I'm not in a tiny box w/small shower that I've read about. It doesn't feel cramped and the TV is not at a weird angle, so no struggles there. 

A/C works great, no real noise (other than the dogs) like slamming balcony doors and no "traffic" since it's forward of the forward elevators (only traffic are people in the cabins or servicing them). 😊

While I loved sitting on my balcony in the morning having coffee and any tidbits I wanted to eat, it has never justified the extra expense for me as a solo cruiser. 

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Haljo1935 said:

Sounds like my neighborhood  - maybe we're neighbors, lol. It is exhausting and I feel for the dogs.

We had to move recently due to dogs barking all night and no local ordinances to address the situation. If I had to listen to that on a ship, I would be extremely upset and ask to be moved (or have the inconsiderate boobs moved).

• Like 8

2 hours ago, notscb said:

this is exactly the r/thathappened energy i pointed out earlier.

All things you "might" do in the situation, but haven't done and are keyboard warrioring about when you would much more likely just go to guest services and complain like a rational person.

Fact is I've not been unfortunate enough to encounter the rude, got to take my pet everywhere person on a cruise yet. I'm not sure I ever will. Odds are I never will there is all sorts of clueless but "take my pet an a cruise" is a special group that must be very small.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, notscb said:

I was honestly surprised by some of the photos. I had to do a double take that it was cruise food 😄

This morning's breakfast; rejected the undercooked bacon which I did not order and was able to get the ham.

Both the chocolate pancake & biscuits gravy are from the daily special. I asked for small order of each, so I assume full orders are more generous.

The empty scraped spot on the plate next to the biscuit is where the bacon lived for a very brief time.

Couldn't eat half of either after filling up on all that juice & coffee, lol.

20231224_103010.thumb.jpg.f80375151310b4c632ec0dc4cdd83add.jpg20231224_103100.thumb.jpg.b3276cf6e009db5df232b0b98a1354fe.jpg20231224_104517.thumb.jpg.a598cd166981a5770ba01bdd26a66440.jpg

• Like 9

21 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Fact is I've not been unfortunate enough to encounter the rude, got to take my pet everywhere person on a cruise yet. I'm not sure I ever will. Odds are I never will there is all sorts of clueless but "take my pet an a cruise" is a special group that must be very small.

Agree with you.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Apologies if someone already posted this, but here is the page and the policy from the HAL site.

https://www.hollandamerica.com/en/us/about/our-company/accessibility

Holland America Line only permits service animals on board, defined as those animals that are individually trained to provide assistance to an individual with a disability. We do not permit our guests to bring pets, therapy/companion animals, and other animals that do not meet the definition of service animals. If you have any questions about whether the animal you wish to bring on board is, in fact, a service animal, you may contact our Guest Accessibility Department.

Your itinerary may include ports of call that have very specific and strict requirements that need to be met prior to your service animal being allowed off of the ship. Please be sure you understand the requirements for a service animal to disembark in each port of call. The best places to obtain specific information on required documentation and immunizations for your service animal are the U.S. Department of Agriculture's website, local customs offices in the specific ports, and from your service animal's veterinarian. All documentation and immunization requirements are established by government authorities and not by Holland America Line. Should you need assistance in locating this information, please contact our Guest Accessibility Department.

To board the ship, your service animal must have current vaccinations. Records confirming the vaccination status should be provided to our Guest Accessibility Department prior to your departure. We also recommend that you carry the immunization records with you in case they are required at any port of call. If you do not have the proper documentation and proof of vaccinations for your service animal required at a port of call, or if there are local quarantine requirements, your service animal will be denied the right to leave the ship. If your service animal is denied the right to leave the ship in a specific port of call, the staff and crew will work with you to determine what actions may be possible to allow you to visit the port without your service animal. Please note that in your absence, you will need to provide for the care and supervision of your service animal. Except in those circumstances where your service animal has been denied disembarkation, you may not leave your service animal unattended on the vessel or in your stateroom at any time.

Important Information for Service Animals on Australian Cruises
The Australian quarantine authorities have changed their approach regarding service dogs on-board cruise ships. Unfortunately, their new approach makes it practically impossible for us to accept service animals on domestic or roundtrip cruises from Australia. The Department of Agriculture now considers these cruises to be akin to an international voyage and therefore under ‘biosecurity control’. As a company, we are incredibly disappointed with the Department’s new approach, and we have written to the Federal Minister to ask for a return to their previous way of doing things. At this time guests will not be able to travel with service animals on voyages that end in Australia or call upon a port in Australia after visiting a foreign country. Guests sailing on voyages that begin in Australia will be able to sail with their service animal provided the voyage does not return to Australia after visiting a foreign port. Should you have further questions please contact our Guest Accessibility Department via email at GuestAccessibility@HollandAmerica.com.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 6

18 minutes ago, aliaschief said:

Thank for sharing your cruise. Have a wonderful Merry Christmas Eve at sea. B.

Thanks so much!

The ship looks fabulous, food is good, service is great and weather is playing along - can't ask for more.

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, POA1 said:

...Holland America Line only permits service animals on board, defined as those animals that are individually trained to provide assistance to an individual with a disability. We do not permit our guests to bring pets, therapy/companion animals, and other animals that do not meet the definition of service animals...

...Except in those circumstances where your service animal has been denied disembarkation, you may not leave your service animal unattended on the vessel or in your stateroom at any time...

The policy is (IMO) well written and easy to understand.

The puzzling and hard to comprehend part is why people believe they're entitled an exemption from adhering to the policy and that such exception is acceptable to passengers at large.

Thanks for sharing the link.

@Sea42 thanks for your link, as well.

Edited by Haljo1935
Additional comment
  • Like 7

18 hours ago, BetsyS. said:

Dallas Cowboys will be in Miami tomorrow at 4:25 PM Eastern time. I will let you know the score.  On Saturday, 12/30 they will play Detroit Lions at home at 8:15 PM Eastern time. I will keep you posted on that.

Have a good weekend! 😊

Oh they're killing me...

20231224_151831.thumb.jpg.549ac299864c34c930fb93ed9919dd11.jpg

Thought maybe I was reading it wrong since I didn't have on my glasses.

So I zoomed in - it didn't help.

20231224_151811.thumb.jpg.353f9f34389826aedbc0f395f5f7b0d5.jpg

Changed angles, still not better.

20231224_151755.thumb.jpg.1a123e95bf05aabb70d83ef01c9b2ece.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

5 hours ago, Crew News said:

Glad to see that the indoor pool area is showing movies again.  I hope that is a new trend fleet wide.

Who is the Hotel General Manger and will they be aboard in April for my Alaska cruise?

Hotel GM is Rene Tuinman.

20231224_153357.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I'm very sorry the Cowboys lost. My stepfather and I watched the game and we were rooting for the Cowboys.

Thanks for all your reports and pictures. Your food looks delicious and the 

ship's decorations are very festive! I'm glad your seas are calm.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Here are a few "clean" pictures from the tea; it was well attended.

20231224_175030.thumb.jpg.37abf501dff0a6c926ad9f8dbbb72adc.jpg

20231224_175042.thumb.jpg.3137dcefb0923c86124a381b8e22d892.jpg

20231224_175103.thumb.jpg.2877531b577f3298c3f343e9e7ffbc55.jpg

Our table (7 people) decided what made it different from the other teas was the use of red and green frosting; the items seemed to be the same. Server confirmed the tea that was served was the black tea they always use.

It was pretty - glad so many people went.

Here's my plate

20231224_175007.thumb.jpg.8b56c3d5f5a4384785aa3d59f2324ded.jpg

• Like 14