Recent Spirit passengers? Did they have a dress code in Windows MDR?

ChiefMateJRK

4 minutes ago, bluesea777 said:

Windows Main Dining Room (deck 6 aft) requires men to wear long pants, but the secondary MDR Taste (dec 6 mid) doesn't.

Thanks!  That's exactly what I needed to know.  Was this fairly recent?

ETA: I see from your signature that it was likely this Spring to Alaska.  I'm wondering if they will stick with such foolishness on a Hawaii cruise next year.

Edited by ChiefMateJRK
  • Haha 1

It would be interesting to see what the statement is in the Freestyle Daily for the Spirit.

We were on Prima a little while ago and the following appeared on the Freestyle Daily

image.png.b107acd42d9b920f817efb8f57e0e1db.png

While on the Star. just before we were on the Prima, the following appeared

image.png.c942e4a63ca1704ac719fd94d8bbd058.png

In  both cases no mention of a, "normal", shorts ban in either MDR.

A P

• Like 1

9 hours ago, BrianLo said:

Onboard Spirt and I think still ‘the rule’, albeit I really doubt they’d turn away nice shorts. Specialty dining you’d stick out though. 

Could you check the daily please and see what it says?

I've worn shorts in all specialty dining other than LeBistro, and never felt like I "stuck out."  If people don't like me being there, it is highly unlikely that it has anything to do with my attire.  That said, I really couldn't care less about what other cruise passengers think about my appearance or behavior if I'm not causing trouble or being offensive.  I'm there to have fun.  Wouldn't it be nice if everybody was? 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Anoynmous Phoenix said:

It would be interesting to see what the statement is in the Freestyle Daily for the Spirit.

Yep.  They also usually have a little sign on the check-in desk that says I have to wear pants.  The last MDR I encountered this was the Sky in January.  I only remember one "enforcement."  It was close to 9:00 and we were going there to get some desert.  The nice lady at the podium proclaimed that I was improperly dressed and would have to return to my cabin to put on something appropriate before I would be allowed to pass.  We just went to the other MDR.  If they put it in the daily and enforce it, I'm fine with that.  If they just let me enter with shorts, I'm fine with that too.  In the grand scheme of cruise issues, this one ranks right up there with "did I get my ice?" and "does my butler pamper me enough?"

I was asking because lately the NCL website has allowed advanced reservations for at least one MDR.  On my Spirit sailing, it says "too early to book" for both MDRs, but will allow them for 6 or 8 people.  It let me make reservations for Cagneys, Teppanyaki and LeBistro, but "too early" for Onda.  I'll just skip the MDRs for now.

Thanks for the inputs.

3 hours ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Could you check the daily please and see what it says?

I've worn shorts in all specialty dining other than LeBistro, and never felt like I "stuck out."  If people don't like me being there, it is highly unlikely that it has anything to do with my attire.  That said, I really couldn't care less about what other cruise passengers think about my appearance or behavior if I'm not causing trouble or being offensive.  I'm there to have fun.  Wouldn't it be nice if everybody was? 🤣

‘cruise casual’ in all venues except Le Bistro after 5PM. So you are good!

Which is defined as khakis, jeans, shorts, casual shirts, closed-toed shoes. No tank tops.

Edited by BrianLo

5 minutes ago, BrianLo said:

‘cruise casual’ in all venues except Le Bistro after 5PM. So you are good!

Which is defined as khakis, jeans, shorts, casual shirts, closed-toed shoes. No tank tops.

Thanks friend!  If they let me advance book the Windows, I'll do it!  And, the pants will stay in the cabin. 😎  (until we get to AK, then they may come out for my comfort)

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Thanks friend!  If they let me advance book the Windows, I'll do it!  And, the pants will stay in the cabin. 😎  (until we get to AK, then they may come out for my comfort)

It could change, but I was never able to pre book Windows on the Spirit for this cruise. It also would not have been needed, so don’t sweat if the website is lying to you. Very easy to access and nice big venue.

23 minutes ago, BrianLo said:

It could change, but I was never able to pre book Windows on the Spirit for this cruise. It also would not have been needed, so don’t sweat if the website is lying to you. Very easy to access and nice big venue.

Yeah, thanks.  As has been discussed in many other threads, booking an MDR is a goof.  In the vast majority of scenarios, it makes absolutely no difference.  That said, if it's available to book, I'll book some placeholder reservations mostly for the fun of it.  It makes an upcoming cruise more "real." 😎  (at least for me; some would say it is a tremendous burden and waste of valuable time)🤣

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Anoynmous Phoenix said:

We were on Prima a little while ago and the following appeared on the Freestyle Daily

image.png.b107acd42d9b920f817efb8f57e0e1db.png

While on the Star. just before we were on the Prima, the following appeared

image.png.c942e4a63ca1704ac719fd94d8bbd058.png

In  both cases no mention of a, "normal", shorts ban in either MDR.

A P

Different ship, different rules, the smaller ships have always had tighter rules in the MDR.

• Like 1

On the Encore last April I decided to join the solos group that was going to dinner at the upscale MDR wearing a nice pair of shorts and a polo. The dress code police lady spotted me from the opposite side of the dining room as I was waiting at the check in stand and ran all the way over to inform me that I was not allowed to dine there.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, yakcruiser said:

On the Encore last April I decided to join the solos group that was going to dinner at the upscale MDR wearing a nice pair of shorts and a polo. The dress code police lady spotted me from the opposite side of the dining room as I was waiting at the check in stand and ran all the way over to inform me that I was not allowed to dine there.

Sounds like the exact dress-*** that whacked me on the Sky in January.  Did she have a great big smile and could hardly contain herself as she scolded you? 🤣

Edited by ChiefMateJRK

3 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Sounds like the exact dress-*** that whacked me on the Sky in January.  Did she have a great big smile and could hardly contain herself as she scolded you? 🤣

I for one am glad that they do their job. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

She contained her smile but you could tell she was proud of herself for catching me before I ruined everybody else's meal.

• Haha 3

38 minutes ago, yakcruiser said:

She contained her smile but you could tell she was proud of herself for catching me before I ruined everybody else's meal.

LOL.  I'm pretty certain that you would have ruined it just for "the one."  While I feel that one day I would like to actually meet one of these fellow cruisers who care about what I'm wearing (for the entertainment value), I doubt it would be as fun as I would hope. 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

6 hours ago, yakcruiser said:

I wonder if she was sporting a cute little gold ribbon on her lapel the following night.

• Haha 1

On 12/18/2023 at 10:30 PM, bluesea777 said:

Windows Main Dining Room (deck 6 aft) requires men to wear long pants, but the secondary MDR Taste (dec 6 mid) doesn't.

Been on the ship, and shorts in the MAIN MDR is fine, but don't bring a hat.  They don't like that.

13 hours ago, yakcruiser said:

What restaurant was it?     

11 minutes ago, yakcruiser said:

I believe it was called the Manhattan room.

Thank you.   We will stay away from The Manhattan Room when we are on the Encore in February.   

On the Joy, my husband was allowed to wear his nice Tommy Bahama shorts with a button-down shirt in the Manhattan Room last year.   This past March on the Epic, the men in our group were turned away wearing similar outfits.   They changed into jeans and in my nephew's case, sweatpants for entry.    

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Next time be prepared by wearing those zip off shorts. You can just pull the pant legs out of your pocket and be in compliance. 

Edited by KSSS2013
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2