Disembarking

AWhip06

We will be embarking and departing from Miami and will be taking the Carnival charter back to the airport. What is a safe time to schedule my flight back home? I believe the site says not before noon, but I want real life experiences. TIA!

With Miami, I would think anything after 11:00 would be fine, but it all depends on the shuttle departure time. You may be able to do something a little earlier but using the cruise line's transportation adds time as they don't leave until the bus / van is full and the transit time is about 20 minutes or so.  Then you have the congestion at the Miami airport that can add to luggage drop and security check in, etc.  So given all that their recommendation of after 12:00 is fair. 

FWIW, IMO Miami is the worst airport to use and we often schedule flights in and out of Fort Lauderdale with either Miami or Port Everglades as the departure / arrival port.  (FLL still isn't great either but IMO it is the better of the two). FLL is about 45 minutes away from Miami - less than 10 from Port Everglades.  Uber/Lyft is the transportation of choice with this option.

However, IMO using the cruise line's shuttle is the worst option as Uber/Lyft or a cab is much more efficient and likely cheaper.  We use Uber exclusively to and from Miami and Ft. Lauderdale airports and either cruise port. (Port Everglades or Miami).  Far more convenient, timely, and personal.  That option would give you the ability to make the earlier flights from Miami for sure.  In fact on one occasion we made a 10:45 flight from Ft. Lauderdale airport after docking at the port of Miami. 

Your choice but IMO the cruise line shuttles would be our last option.  Either way enjoy your cruise!

Edited by leaveitallbehind
  • Like 2

Anything before noon is a “craps shoot.” What most folks seem to forget is that the scheduled arrival time for your disembarkation day is a target and not guaranteed. 
Weather, mechanical issues, customs clearance of the ship can (and occasionally do) delay disembarkation - sometimes for several hours (happened on one of our cruises earlier this year [mechanical issue] causing a 2 hour delay before disembark in SYD. Many folks who booked flights before noon found themselves SOL for their return flights.

5 hours ago, leaveitallbehind said:

With Miami, I would think anything after 11:00 would be fine, but it all depends on the shuttle departure time. You may be able to do something a little earlier but using the cruise line's transportation adds time as they don't leave until the bus / van is full and the transit time is about 20 minutes or so.  Then you have the congestion at the Miami airport that can add to luggage drop and security check in, etc.  So given all that their recommendation of after 12:00 is fair. 

FWIW, IMO Miami is the worst airport to use and we often schedule flights in and out of Fort Lauderdale with either Miami or Port Everglades as the departure / arrival port.  (FLL still isn't great either but IMO it is the better of the two). FLL is about 45 minutes away from Miami - less than 10 from Port Everglades.  Uber/Lyft is the transportation of choice with this option.

However, IMO using the cruise line's shuttle is the worst option as Uber/Lyft or a cab is much more efficient and likely cheaper.  We use Uber exclusively to and from Miami and Ft. Lauderdale airports and either cruise port. (Port Everglades or Miami).  Far more convenient, timely, and personal.  That option would give you the ability to make the earlier flights from Miami for sure.  In fact on one occasion we made a 10:45 flight from Ft. Lauderdale airport after docking at the port of Miami. 

Your choice but IMO the cruise line shuttles would be our last option.  Either way enjoy your cruise!

Thank you for the response! The only reason we are doing the carnival shuttle is because I don’t want to lug 2 car seats through the airports…..otherwise I would definitely pick Uber/Lyft

3 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Anything before noon is a “craps shoot.” What most folks seem to forget is that the scheduled arrival time for your disembarkation day is a target and not guaranteed. 
Weather, mechanical issues, customs clearance of the ship can (and occasionally do) delay disembarkation - sometimes for several hours (happened on one of our cruises earlier this year [mechanical issue] causing a 2 hour delay before disembark in SYD. Many folks who booked flights before noon found themselves SOL for their return flights.

I wondered about that…..especially after reading the posts about the weather and cruises being waylaid from disembarkation earlier this week

55 minutes ago, AWhip06 said:

If it’s a charter bus then you don’t need car seats 

If, for the reasons you indicate, you are commited to the shuttle, then I would stick with their recommended flight times as, which was indicated by @1025cruise, the two timings are likely tied together.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/19/2023 at 9:37 AM, leaveitallbehind said:

Docking in 5 weeks; Saturday.

My early flight was moved up after booking to 11:20.

I've seen a disembarkation schedule for another cruise (same ship, but for LA) that indicates 9:30.

That seems quite late. Only way to move up is take off the luggage ourselves (7:30-8:30) UGH!

or book NCL transport assorted times, but earliest is @ 8:30.

Was planning on using Lyft; now thinking about ship's bus.

Any comments?

7 hours ago, cruiser2015 said:

Docking in 5 weeks; Saturday.

My early flight was moved up after booking to 11:20.

I've seen a disembarkation schedule for another cruise (same ship, but for LA) that indicates 9:30.

That seems quite late. Only way to move up is take off the luggage ourselves (7:30-8:30) UGH!

or book NCL transport assorted times, but earliest is @ 8:30.

Was planning on using Lyft; now thinking about ship's bus.

Any comments?

Don't go by other ships. Your cruise itinerary should indicate the intended return dock time for your ship.  In our experience most ships actually plan to arrive several hours prior to that to begin the luggage offloading so you can commence disembarkation at the posted dock time.  Confirm with your cruise line or your travel agent if you used one.

If time is the concern I would not book the ship bus.  As mentioned before they will wait to leave until all seats are full and luggage is on board, and then stop at the airport airline to airline.  I would suggest Lyft / Uber as it is dedicated only to you and will be much more timely.  Just my opinion.

15 minutes ago, leaveitallbehind said:

Don't go by other ships. Your cruise itinerary should indicate the intended return dock time for your ship.  In our experience most ships actually plan to arrive several hours prior to that to begin the luggage offloading so you can commence disembarkation at the posted dock time.  Confirm with your cruise line or your travel agent if you used one.

If time is the concern I would not book the ship bus.  As mentioned before they will wait to leave until all seats are full and luggage is on board, and then stop at the airport airline to airline.  I would suggest Lyft / Uber as it is dedicated only to you and will be much more timely.  Just my opinion.

Granted it's an assumption that the same schedule may be followed, but to be clear, it's the same ship that just finished the reverse itinerary we are doing. The ship is on the west coast for the next 3 weeks then is doing BTB Panama canals.

I understand the slow down with the bus routines, but according to that schedule (posted on CC), the first non-priority time for independent air is one hour later than the first bus group.

The scheduled "arrival time" is 7 AM.

31 minutes ago, cruiser2015 said:

Granted it's an assumption that the same schedule may be followed, but to be clear, it's the same ship that just finished the reverse itinerary we are doing. The ship is on the west coast for the next 3 weeks then is doing BTB Panama canals.

I understand the slow down with the bus routines, but according to that schedule (posted on CC), the first non-priority time for independent air is one hour later than the first bus group.

The scheduled "arrival time" is 7 AM.

You just provided additional clarity (to me) not in your original post.  If you feel more comfortable on the bus due to the disembarkation time constraints then by all means do so. 

Different cruise lines perhaps but we haven't used the ship transportation in 30 years and are just more comfortable with the ease of Uber/Lyft or a cab. We also have not had any constraints leaving the ship (both with self and crew handled luggage) at a time necessary to facilitate the flight with our own transportation.  The disembarkation call numbers are not generally enforced other than for early self luggage disembarkation - which anyone can typically arrange). Just our personal preference.

Enjoy your cruise.

1 hour ago, leaveitallbehind said:

You just provided additional clarity (to me) not in your original post.  If you feel more comfortable on the bus due to the disembarkation time constraints then by all means do so. 

Different cruise lines perhaps but we haven't used the ship transportation in 30 years and are just more comfortable with the ease of Uber/Lyft or a cab. We also have not had any constraints leaving the ship (both with self and crew handled luggage) at a time necessary to facilitate the flight with our own transportation.  The disembarkation call numbers are not generally enforced other than for early self luggage disembarkation - which anyone can typically arrange). Just our personal preference.

Enjoy your cruise.

Thanks for your feedback.

It's been some years since I disembarked in Miami. Freedom of the Seas.

Just hopped in a cab to MIA. Flight was probably an hour or so later than this one.

I hear you about the numbers - the question there would be whether you can access the baggage if you slip out early (I'm more than happy to leave early).

I'm pretty sure if i tell my wife that we are dragging our bags ourselves she will not be pleased.

One large suitcase and a moderately heavy carry on for each. Getting on the passenger elevators and I don't know what corridors and walk ways need to be navigated. This does concern me. If it were me alone, I'd go for it.

1 hour ago, cruiser2015 said:

I hear you about the numbers - the question there would be whether you can access the baggage if you slip out early (I'm more than happy to leave early).

Again in our experience, but we have not had any issues retrieving our luggage early.  While it is true that the lowest tag numbers are supposed to be handled first to the luggage area, all of the luggage has typically been available by early morning.  You can also go to guest services to request a low number for early departure to assure it is available when you disembark. We have never had any restrictions imposed on us based on cruise line versus our own flight arrangements with this.

24 minutes ago, leaveitallbehind said:

Again in our experience, but we have not had any issues retrieving our luggage early.  While it is true that the lowest tag numbers are supposed to be handled first to the luggage area, all of the luggage has typically been available by early morning.  You can also go to guest services to request a low number for early departure to assure it is available when you disembark. We have never had any restrictions imposed on us based on cruise line versus our own flight arrangements with this.

I was considering the ask at guest services. The only concern with that was the printed disembarkation schedule which designated a few "guests with NCL transportation going to MIA" before the "independent air" option. Sure doesn't hurt to ask though.

Thanks again.

• Like 1