Timaru, New Zealand

46 minutes ago, Teachkids2 said:

Our cruise ship, NCL, has changed ports from Lyttleton to Timaru. Has anyone been to Timaru to give us ideas of what to do? We would love to rent a car. Has anyone done this? Thanks

I haven’t been there by ship but if you can get a car ,drive up to lake tekapo .

Timaru is just somewhere you would stop for a pee and some takeaways if desperate on a long drive back home from down south. Lol. Driving to Tekapo would be a good idea. However if that's out..

Are you into old cars? The Facebook page I was on for our NZ cruise before they gave us Timaru and we cancelled.. had some people putting on a brave face and coming up with ideas. I don't think I can post a FB link due to CC rules.. but what they did say was - 

if your looking for something to do in Timaru get in contact with the boutique village excursions group. Omg they are amazing with what they can offer. I’ve just arranged a full day out, getting driven around in old classic cars, being picked up from the info centre (where the ship docks) and driven around for the whole day to all the sites my husband and I want to see for a small price person. There communicate has been amazing and all the funds go to local museum in Geraldine. What more can you ask for….

Somebody else on that group suggested - 

My partners and I are interested in doing the following trip from Timaru. Is there anyone else who would llke to join us. If I can get another couple to join us the cost will be $100 pp.
DISCOVER MOERAKI BOULDERS & OAMARU
Explore the famous Moeraki Boulders and Oamaru’s Victorian Precinct with guide, Linda.
EXPERIENCE INCLUDES:
Return transport from Timaru to Moeraki and Oamaru
Time to explore the famous Moeraki Boulders
Time to explore Oamaru's Victorian Precinct
Lunch NOT included, however, you will have time to grab lunch in Oamaru
Departs: 9am from the Timaru Information Centre (this will be different if your arrives later than this).
Duration: 5 hours, 30 mins
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Over from NZ said:

Timaru is just somewhere you would stop for a pee and some takeaways if desperate on a long drive back home from down south. Lol. Driving to Tekapo would be a good idea. However if that's out..

Are you into old cars? The Facebook page I was on for our NZ cruise before they gave us Timaru and we cancelled.. had some people putting on a brave face and coming up with ideas. I don't think I can post a FB link due to CC rules.. but what they did say was - 

if your looking for something to do in Timaru get in contact with the boutique village excursions group. Omg they are amazing with what they can offer. I’ve just arranged a full day out, getting driven around in old classic cars, being picked up from the info centre (where the ship docks) and driven around for the whole day to all the sites my husband and I want to see for a small price person. There communicate has been amazing and all the funds go to local museum in Geraldine. What more can you ask for….

My partners and I are interested in doing the following trip from Timaru. Is there anyone else who would llke to join us. If I can get another couple to join us the cost will be $100 pp.
Explore the famous Moeraki Boulders and Oamaru’s Victorian Precinct with guide, Linda.
EXPERIENCE INCLUDES:
Departs: 9am from the Timaru Information Centre (this will be different if your arrives later than this).

Can I thoroughly recommend Oamary and its victorian quarter. One of the largest surviving Victorian quarters left in the world. A link to a magazine article I wrote is here...

https://roscoesseafever.blogspot.com/2023/07/the-new-otago-gold-rush-published.html

It is truly a hidden wonder and I am afraid...Timaru has probably lest excitement's for a days excursions.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Over from NZ said:

EXPERIENCE INCLUDES:

Cant believe I've never heard of this place.  Why would a cruiseline want to go there?  Sounds like a fascinating place.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I stopped in Timaru on a cruise in March.  It was a delightful small town and pleasant to walk around.  The locals had set up a craft market at the square where the shuttle bus took passengers from the ship. There was also a good pub adjacent to the visitor information centre, in an historical building with a shady courtyard where live music was playing.  

Getting a cruise ship into the Timaru harbour is tricky, which is one reason port stops there are not frequent.

• Like 1

On 12/22/2023 at 5:54 AM, MMDown Under said:

Cant believe I've never heard of this place.  Why would a cruiseline want to go there?  Sounds like a fascinating place.  

Oamaru although a Victorian deep port wouldn't be deep enough for a modern cruise ship, although I agree it has lots for a tourist to do, especially compared  to Timaru (all due respect),  Timaru is deeper and possibly why they are calling there. but this part of the South Island between Christchurch and Dunedin are sadly neglected by the cruise industry. Hopefully people will still discover them.

Edited by roscoe39
  • Like 1