Nausea/motion sickness advice?

Numer3

What have you found works for you while cruising? I know people really like the patch. I don’t. I have used the pressure point stretchy bracelets. They are easy and I think helps somewhat.

Bonine non drowsy…even 1/4th of a tablet knocks me out if I take it during the day. But on past cruises I’ve taken that amount each night. 

Just looking to hear others experiences…our cruise is Sunday out of Galveston on Harmony. 

Thanks!

Meclizine (Bonine) once per day, twice if seas are rough works for me, but as you said Bonine knocks you out.  It's a good way to fall asleep lol.  

The patch has it's own set of issues for some people.  Blurry vision being one.  The bands did nothing for me.

Dramamine Non - Drowsy Natural Ginger tablets work for me.  I take one per day when it's a sea day, or at night on port days.  I've also used Dramamine Less Drowsy.  I get a ginger ale at every dinner in the evenings -- using the soda package.  

3 minutes ago, BND said:

It would help if the ginger ale actually had ginger in it.  Most do not.

Ha, true--but I am way beyond food/ginger remedies due to ongoing middle-ear issues.  I thank medical science for my patch!

Teddie

I take Bonine at night 2-3 days before the cruise starts. Then I usually only need it 2-3 more nights on the ship and then I'm acclimated. The key I think is to start taking it a couple of days ahead of time. I have fairly annoying motion sickness -- I can't even look through binoculars!

Don't be fooled by an over-the-counter herbal "patch".  These are herbal dietary supplements.  They are no more effective than ginger, or cinnamon.  When experienced travelers mention "The Patch" they mean Transdermal Scopolamine, available only by prescription.

• Like 1

I start with Meclazine (Bonine) 25 mg twice a day, starting at 48 hours before embarkation.  This helps acclimate me to the medication without drowsiness.  Once on board, I also supplement this medication with other Central Nervous Suppressants (CNS) otherwise known as adult beverages paid for in the beverage package. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, BND said:

It would help if the ginger ale actually had ginger in it.  Most do not.

It’s the bubbles that are doing most of the work, and warm ginger ale tastes better than warm club soda.

Edited by orville99
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Saturngrl said:

I start with Meclazine (Bonine) 25 mg twice a day, starting at 48 hours before embarkation.  This helps acclimate me to the medication without drowsiness.  Once on board, I also supplement this medication with other Central Nervous Suppressants (CNS) otherwise known as adult beverages paid for in the beverage package. 

This is generally what I do, and I buy the generic 100-count bottles at the pharmacy (may also be available online). I've supplemented with ginger capsules for a queasy stomach.

• Like 1

My daughter suffers from extreme sea sickness. She tried all the traditional remedies previously suggested with no success.

I met a nurse who previously worked on a cruise ship and she told me the MD on the cruise ship recommended passengers take the over-the-counter antihistamine, Cetirizine 10mg. This is usually taken for allergies. The brand name in the U.S. is Zyrtec, in Canada it is Reactine.

My daughter would take it once a day at 4pm while on a cruise. The effects were amazing. She had no drowsiness and more importantly no further nausea or vomiting. She was able to enjoy her dinners at the main dining room and the ship's evening activities.

This may not work for you but it worked for her. I tried it on my Alaska cruise and it worked for me too.

She already has it purchased for her next cruise in February.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Typical "morning sickness" remedies are likely to help, primarily eating small meals often instead of big meals, and never letting the stomach feel empty. 

Keep rolls, crackers, chips, something in your room to eat before you get out of bed in the morning, and snack on and off throughout the day (fortunately, that's easy to do on a cruise ship!).  

16 hours ago, CntPAcruiser said:

This is generally what I do, and I buy the generic 100-count bottles at the pharmacy (may also be available online). I've supplemented with ginger capsules for a queasy stomach.

I get the generic meclizine on Amazon.  100 tablets for like $7.

33 minutes ago, brillohead said:

You can get it for free on the ship, at Guest Services or the lobby of the Medical Facility.

Free, not really.  We all paid for it, but i prefer to have my own so I don't have to go get it.  It's really cheap to buy the generic and more than worth it.  I also take it correctly by taking it everyday.  You can't wait til you need it because then it's too late.

Edited by BND
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

You can buy chewable ginger online or in most groceries and pharmacies.  Works for me.

I don't use ginger.  Meclizine works great for me with zero side effects.  Don't fix it if it isn't broken.

But, the point is, people mistakenly believe ginger ale has ginger in it.  That's all I was saying.

Edited by BND

3 minutes ago, BND said:

I don't use ginger.  Meclizine works great for me with zero side effects.  Don't fix it if it isn't broken.

But, the point is, people mistakenly believe ginger ale has ginger in it.

Canada Dry has a small amount of ginger extract from ginger root.  Not sure how much.  Probably much less than capsules or chews.

Serving Size: 12 fl. Ingredients: CARBONATED WATER, HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP AND LESS THAN 2% OF: GINGER EXTRACT, NATURAL FLAVORS, CITRIC ACID, SODIUM BENZOATE (PRESERVATIVE), CARAMEL COLOR.

49 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

Canada Dry has a small amount of ginger extract from ginger root.  Not sure how much.  Probably much less than capsules or chews.

Serving Size: 12 fl. Ingredients: CARBONATED WATER, HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP AND LESS THAN 2% OF: GINGER EXTRACT, NATURAL FLAVORS, CITRIC ACID, SODIUM BENZOATE (PRESERVATIVE), CARAMEL COLOR.

Never seen Canada Dry ginger ale on Royal.