Questions from a newb to Princess

Eli_6

This will be my first cruise on princess, although we have cruised extensively on other lines. (This is mainly because we have young kids.) However, I purchased my elderly Mom a Scandinavian cruise as a Christmas gift (from Southampton) because her father was from Denmark and she has always wanted to go there.  Princess had the itinerary I liked.

First Question: We have a standard balcony room on the Sky Princess.  Is there anywhere on the ship that we aren't permitted?  I know on other lines there are special areas for gifts in suites or staying in a certain area--i.e. The Retreat on Celebrity, Havana area on Carnival, etc. 

I have cruised to/from Dover, but never Southampton.  We will probably arrive the day before the cruise as it makes me nervous flying in the day of from the U.S. I currently don't have a Princess transfer booked, but I would prefer to do this if possible.  Will they pick you up from your hotel in London the "day of" or do you have to make your way back to the airport and be picked up there if you use their transfer service?  Alternatively, will they transfer you from the airport to Southampton the day before? Does anyone have a hotel they recommend?

My other option is to arrive the "day of" at 6:50 a.m. to Heathrow. Do you think that is too risky?  I have never flown in "day of" for a European cruise before and it makes me nervous, but admittedly it would be easier to go straight from the airport to the cruise ship with my elderly Mom.

• Like 1

" Is there anywhere on the ship that we aren't permitted?" With a few small exceptions you should have access to all the public areas of the ship. There's the Sanctuary (a pay per use sun lounging area), parts of the spa and a small suite/concierge lounge. Likewise expect an adults only pool that might be off limits to your young children if you bring them and some kid's only areas that would similarly be off limits to the adults. But in general they don't separate a large part of the ship for a different class, such as the Haven on NCL. 

"do you have to make your way back to the airport and be picked up there if you use their transfer service?" The Princess transfers will pick up from Heathrow and also from Victoria Station in downtown London. Personally, if I were going in just one night early, I'd take a National Express bus (reserve it beforehand) directly to Southampton and get a room there, the London traffic and prices just not worth it for a single night's jetlagged visit. Alternatively, use Blackberry car service. Sounds expensive, but if you're going with others, not really. I found the Princess transfer not particularly appealing.

" Do you think that is too risky?" Too risky for me, Murphy's Law and all.

That'll be an awesome cruise, btw. Enjoy the time with your Mom.

• Like 2

We have taken the Princess transfer from Victoria Station, however, this is only available the day of boarding the ship. We just took a cab from our hotel to Victoria Station and it worked well. By the time we arrived, we basically just boarded immediately because we arrived about 1:00 pm.

If you arrive the day before boarding, there is no Princess transfer from LHR. But you can take the National Express to Southampton from the airport. It is very inexpensive and that is what we will do this June. 

Arriving the day of would totally stress me out and it is not really an option IMHO.

Last June, we used Blackberry Cars from LHR to Southampton but it is very expensive and we will not do that again. If you know others who can share, then the cost is better. But finding others his a real logistical nightmare as we have experienced that people cancel out on you.

• Like 1

If you arrive the day before you could stay near the airport and use the Princess transfer the next day.

I recently stayed at the Holiday Inn that’s attached to the Staybridge Suites on Bath Road. (Approx 5 mins from airport)  The rooms were good size, clean and the hotel has a restaurant.

I just stood in the Taxi line to get a short ride to the hotel.

The next day,I took an uber back to the airport and followed the directions Princess supplied, It was very easy and stress free. 

If you want to go into London you can take The Elizabeth line into town from the airport approx $15 per person and take the Victoria Coach Transfer that Princess Offers  to Southampton 

Edited by Jadn13
  • Like 1

This past May, we arrived early spent a few days in London.  If you'd like to do a little sight seeing, then I suggest taking the tour that stops at Stonehenge and then takes you to the port. That's what we did. The bus picked us up at our hotel. We arrived at the port around 2:00. 

Tammy 

• Like 1

Access around the ship.

The Sky Princess has a concierge lounge on deck 14. This is for full suite passengers. The Sanctuary on deck 18 forward is an upcharge relaxation area open to any passenger that books it. The area has reserved lounges that you select and on the Sky I believe there is a hot tub. The Sanctuary area is popular on tropical cruises. It may not be as popular on your itinerary. If you wish to use The Sanctuary go there directly on boarding to reserve your days and lounges. It's $20/half day, $40/full day, $30/day if you reserve the entire cruise, all sea and port days.

When I sailed from Southampton I booked a hotel there. I arrived a few days before the cruise at Heathrow early in the morning like your flight. I arranged for a private transfer to pick me up at Heathrow and transfer us directly to the Southampton hotel. The drive is around 90 minutes. The cost was very reasonable and the private transfer was comfortable. You will be very tired the day of arrival. If your plan is to tour around London you might not see very much. Princess transfers are not that cost efficient. They are included if you purchase a Princess pre-cruise hotel package. Note that pricing for pre-cruise hotel packages are quoted per person. The cost turns out to be high. Princess transfers are also quoted per person. The cost tends to be close to a private transfer.

I would not arrive the day of the cruise. I like to know I'm there. Why take the risk? You will be very tired when you arrive. Fall asleep at any time. It takes a day to kind of adjust. Really a few days.

Southampton is a nice small city to walk around. You can also purchase any supplies you require for the cruise at the local stores.  

• Like 1

I should arrive more that one day prior to sailing and stay in London. Travel to Southampton and stay overnight in Southampton for one night.  This gives you some touring in London and peace of mind by being within a few minutes of the ship on the day of embarkation.

Regards John

• Like 1

5 hours ago, nini said:

We have taken the Princess transfer from Victoria Station, however, this is only available the day of boarding the ship. We just took a cab from our hotel to Victoria Station and it worked well. 

When you say Victoria Station, most Londoners are thinking you mean the railway station.  Victoria Coach Station is the place where long distance buses run from. They are quite a distance apart and it is important to say "Coach" to any taxi driver to prevent misunderstanding..

Regards John

We stayed at Heathrow earlier this year, Hilton Garden Inn, terminals 2 and 3.  There is also an Aerohotel in the arrivals hall but the Garden Inn had better reviews.  There is an excellent Youtube video showing the walk from customs to the Garden Inn in case you decide on that option.  It was very easy, then the Princess transfer the next day.  On another cruise I arrived in Southhampton a day early and stayed at the Moxy which is where I'll stay for all future cruises from Southhampton.  Clean, great service, one block away from approximately 30 restaurants and a mall.

I would never arrive any later than one day early for a European cruise.  I cruised twice out of Southhampton this year, both times with a prior day arrival and both times I was very nervous of a possible delay.  While everything went as planned the anxiety for me wasn't worth it and going forward I'll plan to arrive at least two days before embarkation.  

6 hours ago, john watson said:

When you say Victoria Station, most Londoners are thinking you mean the railway station.  Victoria Coach Station is the place where long distance buses run from. They are quite a distance apart and it is important to say "Coach" to any taxi driver to prevent misunderstanding..

Regards John

@john watson  Thank you so much for your correction. I trust the OP will see this as well.

6 hours ago, skynight said:

Access around the ship.

The Sky Princess has a concierge lounge on deck 14. This is for full suite passengers. The Sanctuary on deck 18 forward is an upcharge relaxation area open to any passenger that books it. The area has reserved lounges that you select and on the Sky I believe there is a hot tub. The Sanctuary area is popular on tropical cruises. It may not be as popular on your itinerary. If you wish to use The Sanctuary go there directly on boarding to reserve your days and lounges. It's $20/half day, $40/full day, $30/day if you reserve the entire cruise, all sea and port days.

When I sailed from Southampton I booked a hotel there. I arrived a few days before the cruise at Heathrow early in the morning like your flight. I arranged for a private transfer to pick me up at Heathrow and transfer us directly to the Southampton hotel. The drive is around 90 minutes. The cost was very reasonable and the private transfer was comfortable. You will be very tired the day of arrival. If your plan is to tour around London you might not see very much. Princess transfers are not that cost efficient. They are included if you purchase a Princess pre-cruise hotel package. Note that pricing for pre-cruise hotel packages are quoted per person. The cost turns out to be high. Princess transfers are also quoted per person. The cost tends to be close to a private transfer.

I would not arrive the day of the cruise. I like to know I'm there. Why take the risk? You will be very tired when you arrive. Fall asleep at any time. It takes a day to kind of adjust. Really a few days.

Southampton is a nice small city to walk around. You can also purchase any supplies you require for the cruise at the local stores.  

@skynight Would you mind telling us with who your private transfer was with? Ours seemed expensive this past June. Thanks.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, edspec said:

We stayed at Heathrow earlier this year, Hilton Garden Inn, terminals 2 and 3.  There is also an Aerohotel in the arrivals hall but the Garden Inn had better reviews.  There is an excellent Youtube video showing the walk from customs to the Garden Inn in case you decide on that option.  It was very easy, then the Princess transfer the next day.  On another cruise I arrived in Southhampton a day early and stayed at the Moxy which is where I'll stay for all future cruises from Southhampton.  Clean, great service, one block away from approximately 30 restaurants and a mall.

I would never arrive any later than one day early for a European cruise.  I cruised twice out of Southhampton this year, both times with a prior day arrival and both times I was very nervous of a possible delay.  While everything went as planned the anxiety for me wasn't worth it and going forward I'll plan to arrive at least two days before embarkation.  

I have also been told about the Moxy in Southampton and agree that it would be a nice choice. We can vouch for a very big NO for the White Star Tavern!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, nini said:

@skynight Would you mind telling us with who your private transfer was with? Ours seemed expensive this past June. Thanks.

Yes, I would like to know this as well.  

I have done Uber in London area before, but it doesn't go to some of the more rural areas of England. For example, I know it doesn't go to Kent (the shire where Dover is located) and some of the shires have prohibitions on Uber. 

I am not worried about myself being tired because the only direct flight is on BA and they have the lay flat beds and I always conk out on the overnight flights. I honestly sleep better there than at home...I think it has something to do with the white noise and vibration of the airplane.  However, I don't know if my Mom will be able to sleep as easily as I can.  I went to grad school in Scotland so I am used to the overnight flight from Houston to London as there were no direct flights to Edinburgh from Houston.  However, I have never driven in the UK and always opted for the tube or Uber.  My husband has driven in the UK--even driven London and driven a standard which is really hard because you are shifting with your left hand--but he won't be with us on this trip. 

If you are flying on BA you will be at Terminal 5 at Heathrow. When we did that we stayed at the Sofitel hotel that is in Terminal 5. It was a nice hotel with a great restaurant. Then the next morning we got on the Princess transfer bus to Southampton. I think they had us meet around 9:30am. We were at the port by 11. They load your bags onto a separate truck and you don't see them again until they get delivered to your cabin. 

40 minutes ago, rocklinmom said:

If you are flying on BA you will be at Terminal 5 at Heathrow. When we did that we stayed at the Sofitel hotel that is in Terminal 5. It was a nice hotel with a great restaurant. Then the next morning we got on the Princess transfer bus to Southampton. I think they had us meet around 9:30am. We were at the port by 11. They load your bags onto a separate truck and you don't see them again until they get delivered to your cabin. 

@rocklinmom Where did you need to be to get on the Princess transfer? Was it a convenient walk from the Sofitel? Thanks

14 hours ago, nini said:

@rocklinmom Where did you need to be to get on the Princess transfer? Was it a convenient walk from the Sofitel? Thanks

The Princess bus stopped at all of the terminals so we just got on at T5 (a short walk from the Sofitel since it's attached to T5). When you buy the Princess transfer it will show in your Personalizer where and when to meet. I don't know if they still pick up at all Heathrow terminals anymore, it could just be at one (I'm guessing T3, so you could take a taxi from T5 to T3 if necessary - those terminals aren't connected or walkable).

Edited by rocklinmom

3 hours ago, rocklinmom said:

The Princess bus stopped at all of the terminals so we just got on at T5 (a short walk from the Sofitel since it's attached to T5). When you buy the Princess transfer it will show in your Personalizer where and when to meet. I don't know if they still pick up at all Heathrow terminals anymore, it could just be at one (I'm guessing T3, so you could take a taxi from T5 to T3 if necessary - those terminals aren't connected or walkable).

Thanks for your reply.

If you need to change terminals at Heathrow.  Studying the London Underground map should help. All the terminals are linked on a loop with T5 on a spur.

The easiest way to work out the route is on the Transport for London website London Underground Map.

Regards John

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, john watson said:

If you need to change terminals at Heathrow.  Studying the London Underground map should help. All the terminals are linked on a loop with T5 on a spur.

The easiest way to work out the route is on the Transport for London website London Underground Map.

Regards John

Thanks, @john watson.We are still so undecided on whether to book the Princess transfer from LHR on the day of the cruise, after spending overnight at an airport hotel versus taking a coach out to Southampton the day before and staying in a hotel there.

8 minutes ago, nini said:

Thanks, @john watson.We are still so undecided on whether to book the Princess transfer from LHR on the day of the cruise, after spending overnight at an airport hotel versus taking a coach out to Southampton the day before and staying in a hotel there.

A nice, well placed hotel in Southampton is Leonardo Royal Southampton Grand Harbour Hotel. You can see some of the berths and ships, from the hotel. It is opposite Holiday Inn, Herbert Walker Avenue, which is cheap and cheerful but the restaurant is a bit basic there. The cruise berths are very spread out at Southampton. The taxi guys know which ship is where.

Regards John

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, john watson said:

A nice, well placed hotel in Southampton is Leonardo Royal Southampton Grand Harbour Hotel. You can see some of the berths and ships, from the hotel. It is opposite Holiday Inn, Herbert Walker Avenue, which is cheap and cheerful but the restaurant is a bit basic there. The cruise berths are very spread out at Southampton. The taxi guys know which ship is where.

Regards John

Thank you so much for your suggestion. I know that we will NOT be staying where we stayed last time! NO WAY!