Boarding Times

nicoleinwi

We have cruised many times but will be on our first Carnival cruise in a couple months.  I understand you go online 14 days before and select your boarding time.  

We are cruising on the Magic in Feb out of Miami. Since our first Carnival cruise, we don't have any status to allow us early boarding and we are just in a balcony room so no suite for priority boarding.  What is the earliest boarding time for general guests?  

We have FTTF booked, but I am thinking of canceling.  We already have our dining reserved, we don't have any tender ports and are signed up on the Carnival transfer to the airport, so it looked like the only benefit is embarkation day benefits.  What would be a boarding time for FTTF?  Also, I read with FTTF you get to checking and select boarding 16 days in advance.  In the cruise planner it is showing the checkin date of 14 days before though.  So maybe it's not 16 days ahead?

Thanks! 

You choose an arrival time at check-in, not boarding time.  You can choose an arrival time of 10AM, but that doesn’t mean you will board at 10.  FTTF boards after weddings, suites, diamonds, and platinums.

With FTTF, you cannot check-in 16 days out; that is got Platinum and higher guests.  You do get priority guest services line, which can be helpful if you don’t like to wait in line.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, nicoleinwi said:

so it looked like the only benefit is embarkation day benefits.

You also get priority debarkation which can get you off the ship earlier if you need that perk, and you get to use the priority line at Guest Services which can save you a lot of time if you have an issue that requires a GS visit. I've only ever had to visit GS twice and having FTTF made it a quick visit. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, FTLCruiseGal said:

You choose an arrival time at check-in, not boarding time.  You can choose an arrival time of 10AM, but that doesn’t mean you will board at 10.  FTTF boards after weddings, suites, diamonds, and platinums.

With FTTF, you cannot check-in 16 days out; that is got Platinum and higher guests.  You do get priority guest services line, which can be helpful if you don’t like to wait in line.

Thank you!  If I cancel out FTTF would I still be able to select 10am or is that reserved for folks that have the higher status and FTTF?  Yeah, I realize I won't get on at that time.  But we are early risers, so I don't want to just sit around a hotel waiting to go to the ship.  I'd rather just get on the ship and start vacay the soonest I could.  But if it'd only be a half hour sooner, it's not worth $140. 

I am sailing with a group of friends on the Magic on January 13.  I am platinum and when I checked in today, the earliest arrival time available was 11:30.  I don't think they offer anything earlier; one friend checked in shortly after midnight and got the same 11:30 arrival time.

• Like 1

Personally, I'd cancel the FttF and simply select the appropriate Arrival Time. You also mentioned that you are on the Carnival transfer bus from the airport. That will certainly slow you down and what you should do is select the Arrival Time window when that bus is expected to arrive. The whole goal is to avoid big terminal crowds and spread everything out. 

Thousands of folks need to get on the ship. Arrival Time windows have dramatically improved the flow over these last 10 years. We're Priority so an early slot is always available if and when we want one. But I can't imagine ever paying $100+ for it. Other folks see that differently.

Edit: A quick re-read seems to indicate that you will be taking the bus at disembarkation ONLY and therefore taking an Uber TO the ship. My recommendation still stands. Save your hard earned money and simply select the earliest slot available when you check in. The good news is that your hotel won't toss you out! Enjoy.

Edited by jsglow
  • Like 2

There is very little going on around the ship before at least 3PM...so there is no need to rush to be the first on board. It only takes 45 minutes or so to eat lunch and do muster. Then you're basically just walking around killing time until sail away.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, mz-s said:

There is very little going on around the ship before at least 3PM...so there is no need to rush to be the first on board. It only takes 45 minutes or so to eat lunch and do muster. Then you're basically just walking around killing time until sail away.

I'll add that schlepping your luggage for too long can be a bother as well. I can see super early boarding for a 3 night Bahamas run but that's about it without Priority.

2 hours ago, Cinnamon2 said:

I am sailing with a group of friends on the Magic on January 13.  I am platinum and when I checked in today, the earliest arrival time available was 11:30.  I don't think they offer anything earlier; one friend checked in shortly after midnight and got the same 11:30 arrival time.

Check in starts at 12 mid EST so the early slots may have filled quickly or depending on the sailing, they may have pushed arrival times back.  There are full ship charters that take longer for debarkation.  

DO NOT MAKE THIS MISTAKE:

Do not pack your passport, birth certificates and boarding documents in carry on luggage. Too many people forget and in the excitement, forget to remove these critical documents before handing over to the porters at checked luggage opportunity.  Then it becomes almost impossible  to track down your bag to retrieve the documents.  

• Like 3

4 hours ago, nicoleinwi said:

Thank you!  If I cancel out FTTF would I still be able to select 10am or is that reserved for folks that have the higher status and FTTF?  Yeah, I realize I won't get on at that time.  But we are early risers, so I don't want to just sit around a hotel waiting to go to the ship.  I'd rather just get on the ship and start vacay the soonest I could.  But if it'd only be a half hour sooner, it's not worth $140. 

I would save the $140; if you've already budgeted for it, use it toward excursions, specialty dining (Teppanyaki is FABULOUS) or the spa. As you correctly surmised, you won't benefit from the early disembarkation b/c you have the transfer and no tender ports to use it, so other than dedicated line at GS, the only benefit is earlier boarding. You still don't select your arrival time until 14 days out (not 16).

Welcome ro Carnival. Safe travels - enjoy your cruise!

Edited by Haljo1935
Typo

7 hours ago, Cinnamon2 said:

We are on this sailing too!  Not sure why this one is so late.  We have had check in times 10 - 10:30 multiple cruises since the restart.  Final boarding is 2pm so 4000+ passengers will need to check in during a 2 hour time span.

We leave on 1/2 for a sold out cruise on Radiance. We got FTTF even though we also got a 10am check in. For us, the $69 is worth it just to be able to drop off our luggage asap in the cabin, and If the room is made up even better. Then, off to lunch and have a good time. Also, with it being a sold out cruise, and possible rain, if there are any issues, I want to make sure I can minimize my wait time in line. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
3 minutes ago, FredZiffle said:

Does Carnival enforce arrival times for embarkation?  I'm used to NCL where they don't even look at your boarding pass when you arrive.

In general, yes they do. If you arrive outside of your arrival window you'll be waiting while they clear the line of those who arrived on time. Then you'll be allowed to enter.

It varies somewhat from port to port and day to day but this is the general policy.

• Like 2

On 12/28/2023 at 4:24 AM, nicoleinwi said:

We have cruised many times but will be on our first Carnival cruise in a couple months.  I understand you go online 14 days before and select your boarding time.  

We are cruising on the Magic in Feb out of Miami. Since our first Carnival cruise, we don't have any status to allow us early boarding and we are just in a balcony room so no suite for priority boarding.  What is the earliest boarding time for general guests?  

We have FTTF booked, but I am thinking of canceling.  We already have our dining reserved, we don't have any tender ports and are signed up on the Carnival transfer to the airport, so it looked like the only benefit is embarkation day benefits.  What would be a boarding time for FTTF?  Also, I read with FTTF you get to checking and select boarding 16 days in advance.  In the cruise planner it is showing the checkin date of 14 days before though.  So maybe it's not 16 days ahead?

Thanks! 

You also get priority check in within your boarding time. Miami can have LONG check in lines.  We find FTTF  still worth it , just as not as much as it used to be !

Good luck picking 10 a.m. to checkin..

Plat diamond and suites will eat that up since they can go 16 days out..

I'd go on at midnight on your 14th day but don't be shocked if you don't get a 10 a m.

The nice thing about fftf is you get a special line to pass the other hobos who are standing in the elements..

I'd much rather be onboard at 11 am then screwing around in line..

You can do all kinda of things you can't do if you are in line or sitting in the terminal.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, FredZiffle said:

Does Carnival enforce arrival times for embarkation?  I'm used to NCL where they don't even look at your boarding pass when you arrive.

Generally yes. Your first check will be your Arrival slot.  Your second check (strictly enforced) will be your actual boarding position; F02 for example.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Iamthesea said:

Will Carnival send a reminder when it is time to check-in.  I will be on another cruise at the time and I don't want to forget to check-in.

Nope, not unless you are logged into your booking, however setting a reminder on a watch, phone, tablet, laptop or computer will accomplish the same thing. Also keep in mind the midnight check-in time is midnight EST, so depending on where you're cruising, you may have to allow for a time zone difference.

• Thanks 1

OK,  I can set a reminder.  My Carnival cruise leaves on March 25th.  Two weeks prior would be March 11th.  Technically, I should be able to sign in after midnight EST ) on the night of the 10th), should I still be awake. 🥱  On that date, according to Oceania, we will be CRUISING THE STRAITS OF FLORIDA and docking in Cozumel the morning of the 11th.  So I am good. 😉

22 hours ago, bar1068 said:

Nope, not unless you are logged into your booking, however setting a reminder on a watch, phone, tablet, laptop or computer will accomplish the same thing. Also keep in mind the midnight check-in time is midnight EST, so depending on where you're cruising, you may have to allow for a time zone difference.