what happens If 1 guest in a 2 person booking has to cancel at the last min.?

D. B.

By what happens I mean as far as the Billing as a single guest in a cabin is always charged more than double the 2 guest rate?

Would X Add a charge to your account?

My son ask me that and I didn't have an answer?

Has anyone  experienced that situation?

8 hours ago, D. B. said:

By what happens I mean as far as the Billing as a single guest in a cabin is always charged more than double the 2 guest rate?

October 2018, my DW cancels the New England and Canada cruise 48 Hours before sail away,  I cruise alone, Celebrity returns me the Tax and Port fees and all the cruise planner purchases from my DW, NO extra charges for single passenger and I get double Captain's Club points

12 hours ago, gerelmx said:

October 2018, my DW cancels the New England and Canada cruise 48 Hours before sail away,  I cruise alone, Celebrity returns me the Tax and Port fees and all the cruise planner purchases from my DW, NO extra charges for single passenger and I get double Captain's Club points

You no longer get double points unless it was a solo booking to start.

What if it is two friends sailing together each paying separately and one cancels at the last minute?  Would the friend who canceled get money back from insurance claim? And the friend who sails would not be charged anything else?

13 hours ago, SharonK said:

What if it is two friends sailing together each paying separately and one cancels at the last minute?  Would the friend who canceled get money back from insurance claim? And the friend who sails would not be charged anything else?

The friend who cancels would only get money back if the cancellation is made before departure date and the  reason for canceling is listed in the insurance policy or the policy is cancelled for any reason.

The remaining passenger than would paid the full fare for double occupancy.

On 12/28/2023 at 7:59 PM, D. B. said:

just traveled with that situation.  Wasn't an insurable issue so were just refunded port fees and taxes.

This happened to our party last year, although on Princess and Royal Caribbean in Australia and New Zealand.  My sisters were sharing a room, and one had to cancel at the last minute due to health problems.

We were advised not to cancel but just do a no-show.  The sister who could not go did lose her money, except for fees and taxes (insurance did not cover because she cancelled so late), but the other sister just went with no consequences such as having to pay double.

How late in the game can a change of passengers occur? If you were able to find someone to go in their place, how long does it take for the cruise line to verify identity can do the name substitution? Has anyone done this?

1 hour ago, Homosassa said:

The friend who cancels would only get money back if the cancellation is made before departure date and the  reason for canceling is listed in the insurance policy or the policy is cancelled for any reason.

That is what I thought was the answer.

I was wondering if X would jack up the cabin price to a Single fare but it looks like that's not the norm.

7 hours ago, Homosassa said:

So not only would the one who cancelled not receive any money back but the other one who didn't cancel would have to pay for another fare?  Am I understanding this right?  That would mean Celebrity collected twice on one of the fares.

10 hours ago, CaroleSS said:

How late in the game can a change of passengers occur? If you were able to find someone to go in their place, how long does it take for the cruise line to verify identity can do the name substitution? Has anyone done this?

On NCL, my BIL passed away about three weeks before an Alaska cruise. After examining her options, and talking to an NCL representative, my SIL was able to replace her husband by her daughter, and even to add her son in their cabin booking. However, the flights could not be changed because of the type of fare booked.

My take on this issue, is that for special and unique situations, such as the one experienced by my SIL, some cruise line can elect to show some flexibility, on a case by case basis. 

But, IMHO, these situations, are much better discussed directly with a cruise line representative.

16 hours ago, SharonK said:

So not only would the one who cancelled not receive any money back but the other one who didn't cancel would have to pay for another fare?  Am I understanding this right?  That would mean Celebrity collected twice on one of the fares.

I can't speak to Celebrity, but on Princess and RCI my sister (other sister could not go last minute) did not have to pay a single rate.  As advised, ill sister was just a no-show.

21 hours ago, Sussex Cruiser said:

You DO get the double points, but even if you booked a solo cabin to start with you, 99% of the time, have to call to get them added.

Interestingly I was told that it has to be a solo booking without and discounts. Probably just my booking.