2024 Grand World Voyage with The Inside Cabin

The-Inside-Cabin

Pete and Judy. As you know I love your posts and of course the wonderful food pictures and menus. We have a few grand voyages reserved not only with HAL but with other lines. We enjoy some of the more upscale lines because they are smaller like yesteryear but that said HAL holds a place in my heart as I have been blessed to sail HAL since the 1970s. All the best!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 1/20/2024 at 1:31 PM, SusieKIslandGirl said:

Oh no! You’re going to miss Valentine’s Day. Thanks for the blog update. Looks great and easy to read.

I inquired, as the Navigator was updated to show that we would skip 2/13 instead. But that is Mardi Gras! I sent a note via the Navigator that they should rethink, as there are many sea days around that time and does it matter? Someone from guest services called to say that they now moved the "skip day" to Feb. 12. (Sorry, Abe.)

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

OPERA HOUSE ON THE AMAZON – MANAUS (POST #17)

Click "Show More Posts" to show all the links to the other posts for the 2024 World Cruise
Show More Posts

Feature 1 of 1

A Brazilian Steakhouse, in Brazil, and an Opera House on the Amazon

ARRIVAL DELAYED

Our arrival in Manaus was delayed by 30 minutes due to slower speeds during the evening.

Our late arrival required us to moor at a different pier, requiring a short shuttle ride to the original cruise terminal.

manaus-skyline.jpg Manaus Skyline rio-negro-bridge.jpg The Rio Negro Bridge is the only bridge crossing the Amazon or one of its tributaries

BEST OF MANAUS

Our plan today was the HAL tour Best of Manaus

Best of Manaus

Departs: 8:30 AM Approximately 6½ Hours Price $229.95

Leave from the floating port of Manaus, designed to move with the river tide of the Rio Negro.

As you travel, you will pass the Customs House — prefabricated in Liverpool and shipped to Manaus a hundred years ago. Watch for the Palacio Rio Negro — it started out as the private residence of a German rubber baron and eventually became the Governor’s office.

Meet the inhabitants of the Amazon region at the Bosque da Ciencia — an open-air museum and Amazonian Research Station. The facility’s most famous project is the species revival of the Amazon River manatee. Observe these strange creatures, in danger of extinction, as they swim in a glass tank. Part of the museum is open-air, with access via trails. The other part is an indoor exhibit of scientific projects under development. See the world’s largest and smallest leaves, both found in the Amazon. Otters, electric eels, alligators, orchids and bromeliads are also housed here.

Visit the Military Zoo, where wildlife and Amazonian fauna are housed and stop for lunch at a barbecue restaurant.

Finally, the city’s most famous landmark awaits you. The lavish pink-and-white Opera House, known as the Teatro Amazonas, will be the highlight of your tour. Built in 1896, this marvel of architecture features a dome of 36,000 vitrified ceramic tiles imported from Europe, set in a mosaic of the colors of the Brazilian flag. The fantastic painting that graces the inside of the dome is a recreation of the view you would have if you stood under the Eiffel Tower and looked up. The dazzling auditorium boasts perfect acoustics, and performances here range from single guitar concerts to entire ballet companies and philharmonic orchestras. As stunning as the building is, perhaps its most extraordinary element is the fact that it is located in the heart of the Amazon jungle, in the city of Manaus — homage to the affluence that accompanied the rubber boom of 1896.

manaus.jpg This map shows where we went today on our HAL tour – Best of Manaus

MANAUS OPERA HOUSE

Our first stop was the Manaus Opera House or Teatro Amazonas

Manaus-Opera-House.jpg

Constructed during the late 19th century when Manaus thrived as a major economic center, the Manaus Opera House reflects the prosperity of the rubber era.  Inspired by the Italian Renaissance style, it showcases a harmonious blend of European opulence and Amazonian motifs.  One of the most striking features of the Opera House is its magnificent dome, covered with 36,000 colorful ceramic tiles, which depict the Brazilian national flag.

Manaus-Opera-House-ceiling.jpg One of the highlights of the Opera House is the ceiling in the lobby lego-opera-house.jpg Our guide describes a model of the Opera House made from Legos inside-theatre.jpg The auditorium seating and stage area of the Opera House was closed for remodeling, but we managed to get a peek inside

Nearby buildings were covered with colorful art

building-art.jpg
building-art-3.jpg
building-art-2.jpg

Centro de Instructao de Guerra na Selva (CIGS) Zoo

The Centro de Instructao de Guerra na Selva (CIGS), translates to The Jungle War Instruction Center or The Military Zoo for short.  Situated within a military training center it provides a fascinating glimpse into the diverse flora and fauna that call the Amazon their home.  Unlike modern zoos,  some animals here are kept behind chain-link fenced enclosures instead of more open environments.  There is also a small aquarium.  Unless you are interested in a particular exhibit, I wouldn’t make a special trip to visit.

zoo.jpg Zoo entrance
toucan-1.jpg
Toucan
monkee.jpg
various monkey species were in the open on an island
pirahna.jpg
Piranhas
zoo-2.jpg
Black Panther (Photo by Harry)
zoo-3.jpg

Gaucho’s Churrascaria

We enjoyed lunch at a Brazilian Steakhouse, Gaucho’s Churrascaria.

It was crowded and filled with tourists from various tours.  A few locals were waiting to get in, and they may have been a little surprised to find the place packed midday.  Once seated, you take your plate to a buffet line where you self-serve your salad and sides.  Back at your table, roving waiters carrying large skewers of meat, from steaks to pork, will slice off portions directly to your plate.  We were here for about 1 hour.

restaraunt.jpg Inside the steakhouse brazil-restaraunt.jpg Roving waiters served meat directly from large skewers.

Bosque da Ciência (Science Grove)

Our final stop was the Bosque da Ciência (Science Grove).  Managed by the National Institute of Amazonian Research (INPA), this scientific park offers a unique opportunity to explore the wonders of the Amazon rainforest while promoting environmental education and conservation.

botanical-garden.jpg The largest leaf found in the Amazon is on display. google-translate.jpg Very few signs were in English, so Google Translate was very helpful. Download the languages before you leave, and you don’t need cell service.

BACK ON THE SHIP

We enjoyed a special dinner in the Pinnacle tonight with Kim and George.  We had a wonderful time and the food was terrific.

brazil-night-dinner.jpg

coxinha.jpg
COXINHA
tacaca-soup.jpg
TACACA
bacalhau-frito.jpg
BACALHAU FRITO
granita-de-mirtilo.jpg
GRANITA DE MIRTILO E SORVETE DE COCO
bone-in-ribeye.jpg
CHURRASCO
fired-donuts.jpg
BOLINHO DE CHUVA
  • Like 15
  • Thanks 6

7 minutes ago, The-Inside-Cabin said:

Click "Show More Posts" to show all the links to the other posts for the 2024 World Cruise
Show More Posts

Feature 1 of 1

A Brazilian Steakhouse, in Brazil, and an Opera House on the Amazon

ARRIVAL DELAYED

Our arrival in Manaus was delayed by 30 minutes due to slower speeds during the evening.

Our late arrival required us to moor at a different pier, requiring a short shuttle ride to the original cruise terminal.

manaus-skyline.jpg Manaus Skyline rio-negro-bridge.jpg The Rio Negro Bridge is the only bridge crossing the Amazon or one of its tributaries

BEST OF MANAUS

Our plan today was the HAL tour Best of Manaus

Best of Manaus

Departs: 8:30 AM Approximately 6½ Hours Price $229.95

Leave from the floating port of Manaus, designed to move with the river tide of the Rio Negro.

As you travel, you will pass the Customs House — prefabricated in Liverpool and shipped to Manaus a hundred years ago. Watch for the Palacio Rio Negro — it started out as the private residence of a German rubber baron and eventually became the Governor’s office.

Meet the inhabitants of the Amazon region at the Bosque da Ciencia — an open-air museum and Amazonian Research Station. The facility’s most famous project is the species revival of the Amazon River manatee. Observe these strange creatures, in danger of extinction, as they swim in a glass tank. Part of the museum is open-air, with access via trails. The other part is an indoor exhibit of scientific projects under development. See the world’s largest and smallest leaves, both found in the Amazon. Otters, electric eels, alligators, orchids and bromeliads are also housed here.

Visit the Military Zoo, where wildlife and Amazonian fauna are housed and stop for lunch at a barbecue restaurant.

Finally, the city’s most famous landmark awaits you. The lavish pink-and-white Opera House, known as the Teatro Amazonas, will be the highlight of your tour. Built in 1896, this marvel of architecture features a dome of 36,000 vitrified ceramic tiles imported from Europe, set in a mosaic of the colors of the Brazilian flag. The fantastic painting that graces the inside of the dome is a recreation of the view you would have if you stood under the Eiffel Tower and looked up. The dazzling auditorium boasts perfect acoustics, and performances here range from single guitar concerts to entire ballet companies and philharmonic orchestras. As stunning as the building is, perhaps its most extraordinary element is the fact that it is located in the heart of the Amazon jungle, in the city of Manaus — homage to the affluence that accompanied the rubber boom of 1896.

manaus.jpg This map shows where we went today on our HAL tour – Best of Manaus

MANAUS OPERA HOUSE

Our first stop was the Manaus Opera House or Teatro Amazonas

Manaus-Opera-House.jpg

Constructed during the late 19th century when Manaus thrived as a major economic center, the Manaus Opera House reflects the prosperity of the rubber era.  Inspired by the Italian Renaissance style, it showcases a harmonious blend of European opulence and Amazonian motifs.  One of the most striking features of the Opera House is its magnificent dome, covered with 36,000 colorful ceramic tiles, which depict the Brazilian national flag.

Manaus-Opera-House-ceiling.jpg One of the highlights of the Opera House is the ceiling in the lobby lego-opera-house.jpg Our guide describes a model of the Opera House made from Legos inside-theatre.jpg The auditorium seating and stage area of the Opera House was closed for remodeling, but we managed to get a peek inside

Nearby buildings were covered with colorful art

building-art.jpg
building-art-3.jpg
building-art-2.jpg

Centro de Instructao de Guerra na Selva (CIGS) Zoo

The Centro de Instructao de Guerra na Selva (CIGS), translates to The Jungle War Instruction Center or The Military Zoo for short.  Situated within a military training center it provides a fascinating glimpse into the diverse flora and fauna that call the Amazon their home.  Unlike modern zoos,  some animals here are kept behind chain-link fenced enclosures instead of more open environments.  There is also a small aquarium.  Unless you are interested in a particular exhibit, I wouldn’t make a special trip to visit.

zoo.jpg Zoo entrance
toucan-1.jpg
Toucan
monkee.jpg
various monkey species were in the open on an island
pirahna.jpg
Piranhas
zoo-2.jpg
Black Panther (Photo by Harry)
zoo-3.jpg

Gaucho’s Churrascaria

We enjoyed lunch at a Brazilian Steakhouse, Gaucho’s Churrascaria.

It was crowded and filled with tourists from various tours.  A few locals were waiting to get in, and they may have been a little surprised to find the place packed midday.  Once seated, you take your plate to a buffet line where you self-serve your salad and sides.  Back at your table, roving waiters carrying large skewers of meat, from steaks to pork, will slice off portions directly to your plate.  We were here for about 1 hour.

restaraunt.jpg Inside the steakhouse brazil-restaraunt.jpg Roving waiters served meat directly from large skewers.

Bosque da Ciência (Science Grove)

Our final stop was the Bosque da Ciência (Science Grove).  Managed by the National Institute of Amazonian Research (INPA), this scientific park offers a unique opportunity to explore the wonders of the Amazon rainforest while promoting environmental education and conservation.

botanical-garden.jpg The largest leaf found in the Amazon is on display. google-translate.jpg Very few signs were in English, so Google Translate was very helpful. Download the languages before you leave, and you don’t need cell service.

BACK ON THE SHIP

We enjoyed a special dinner in the Pinnacle tonight with Kim and George.  We had a wonderful time and the food was terrific.

brazil-night-dinner.jpg

coxinha.jpg
COXINHA
tacaca-soup.jpg
TACACA
bacalhau-frito.jpg
BACALHAU FRITO
granita-de-mirtilo.jpg
GRANITA DE MIRTILO E SORVETE DE COCO
bone-in-ribeye.jpg
CHURRASCO
fired-donuts.jpg
BOLINHO DE CHUVA

That whole meal looks delicious!

Thanks for the tip on Google Translate. I was wondering why my app didn't want to work offline.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The-Inside-Cabin said:

Hi There,

We are booked on an Amazon cruise aboard Oceania's Marina in March and are concerned Amazon River water levels might cause Oceania to reroute the ship as Viking has done.

Did your ship encounter any problems navigating the Amazon to Manaus?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Traveling Fools said:

Hi There,

We are booked on an Amazon cruise aboard Oceania's Marina in March and are concerned Amazon River water levels might cause Oceania to reroute the ship as Viking has done.

Did your ship encounter any problems navigating the Amazon to Manaus?

No issues.      The water is rising now.  Viking was about 6 weeks ago I think when the water is lower.   You willl be fine 

• Like 2

2026 WORLD CRUISE SURVEY RELEASED

Show More Posts

Feature 1 of 1

2026 World Cruise Survey Released

2026 World Cruise Survey released

The itinerary for the 2026 World Cruise is expected to be released in April 2024.   As per past practice, Holland America solicits guest input from a survey sent out in January.   I have included the five different options they requested feedback on here.   They are accepting $100 Future Cruise placeholder deposits now onboard.   This registers your interest and gives you a priority on your cabin selection.   The standard deposit amount will be due in May 2024.

2026 World Cruise Ship remains unknown

The ship they plan to use for this cruise has not been announced.   Nor was it announced if they plan another competing Grand Voyage of similar length as they are doing in 2025 with the Circumnavigation World Cruise competing with the Pole to Pole.

New York, New York?

A question asked on all itineraries was whether or not a departure from New York City would play a factor in our selection decision.

East Bound ending in San Diego

Option E is the most unusual as it goes east and ends in San Diego

Please let me know your choice in the comments!

You can download a PDF Verison HERE

Slide5.jpg
Slide6.jpg
Slide8.jpg
Slide9.jpg
Slide10.jpg
Slide11.jpg
Slide12.jpg
Slide13.jpg
Slide14.jpg
Slide15.jpg
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

17 hours ago, The-Inside-Cabin said:

No issues.      The water is rising now.  Viking was about 6 weeks ago I think when the water is lower.   You willl be fine 

I was on the Zaandam (deeper draft than Zuiderdam, although the latter is bigger) which entered the Amazon on Dec. 1 (the first cruise ship this season). Had we been 2 days earlier, we couldn't have gone. But we did fine -- passing over one sandbar with 1.1 meters to spare! When I was there with Pete a week ago, water levels were much higher. Its no longer an issue. Enjoy!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The-Inside-Cabin said:

New York, New York?

A question asked on all itineraries was whether or not a departure from New York City would play a factor in our selection decision.

Pete, as I read the survey (and re-read to check), it seemed HAL asked about a RETURN to NY, not a departure. That would probably place the ship in a spot to do NE/Canada or Northern Europe (which the Zuiderdam has done after the WC). Just nitpicking, I know!

• Like 1

Route A gets my vote. Cruising south of Australia keeps you farther from equatorial heat and I would also love to visit all those countries on the west coast of Africa.

Itinerary B is a close second. Too much heat along the equator on this one, but I would cope.

Itinerary C spends too much time in the Mediterranean, nothing new there for me.

Itinerary D is the worst. I do not want all those 23 hour days and it is not a complete circumnavigation of the globe.

Itinerary E is second worst, too much time in the Med and Europe and nothing new for me.

Is it immigration problems that keep cruise lines away from India? Cruise lines seem to avoid the country.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, WriterOnDeck said:

Pete, as I read the survey (and re-read to check), it seemed HAL asked about a RETURN to NY, not a departure. That would probably place the ship in a spot to do NE/Canada or Northern Europe (which the Zuiderdam has done after the WC). Just nitpicking, I know!

Thanks for clearing that up!   I did misread the options

image.thumb.png.4b53be1d91909694ac9eb5d47361bc30.png

• Like 2

BOI BUMBA FESTIVAL & TRICICLOS IN PARINTINS, BRAZIL (POST #18) 15 JAN 2024

Show More Posts

Feature 1 of 1

We enjoy the local Boi Bumba Festival Show and a ride in a Triciclo

PARINTINS

Parintins is a city located in the state of Amazonas, Brazil.  It is situated on Tupinambarana Island, enclosed by the Amazon River, approximately halfway between the cities of Manaus and Santarém.

map.jpg

The city is known for its cultural vibrancy, particularly during the annual Bumba Meu Boi Festival in June.

The Zuiderdam arrived around 10 am, with open tendering announced at 11:30.

The tender ride was less than 10 minutes.

sea-scouts.jpg Parintins’ Sea Scouts greeted us on arrival
vendor.jpg
Judy picked out some Pirarucu Fish Scales
vendor-2.jpg

greeters.jpg There was a mini Boi Bumba show in the port terminal building with an opportunity to pose with some of the performers.

BOI BUMBA FESTIVAL

Our plan for today was to attend the Boi Bumba Festival Show in the small convention center starting at 2:15 pm.  Attending this show was only available as a HAL tour since these shows only occur during cruise ship visits, and HAL buys all the space to sell as an excursion.

The meeting time for the show was 1:30 pm at the tender pier, but we learned later that there wasn’t any formal meeting required and we should go directly to the convention center, less than 100 yards from the end of the tender pier.

The doors opened at 1:45 pm and show started at 2:15.  People were lined up over an hour in advance to get front-row seats.  We got in line at about 1:15 which would give us a selection of second-row seats.  Along the back wall, there are two platforms with chairs stacked up nearby.  We put the chairs on the platform, which gave us a good view of the stage, even though we were along the back wall.

theatre-3.jpg Inside the convention center before the show pre-show.jpg Members of the cast were available to pose for pictures pre-show

Waiters delivered Caipirinha drinks during the pre-show.

NOTE: The caipirinha (kai-purr-REEN-yah) is the national drink of Brazil.  It’s the most popular cocktail in the South American country, and everyone has their own way of making it.  The basic caipirinha recipe is straightforward and requires just three ingredients: cachaça, lime, and sugar.  Cachaça is similar to rum, but not as sweet with a grassy, vegetable taste.

There wasn’t any information about the show provided in advance nor was there any useful narration during the show.  Here is a brief description of show from Wikipedia.  Reading about the show in advance will help you better understand the performance.

Bumba Meu Boi is an interactive play celebrated in Brazil. It originated in the 18th century. It is a form of social criticism. Lower class Brazilians mock and criticize those of higher social status through a comedic Folklore story told in song and dance. Though not as well known internationally as Carnival and other Brazilian festivals, it is older and deeply rooted in the culture of Brazil. The tale can vary depending on the region and social setting at which it is practiced. However, its essential theme remains the same, with a focus on the death and resurrection of an ox

The show was colorful and energetic as the stage and area in front of the audience filled with performers, accompanied by loud rhythmic music.

jaquar.jpg
dragon.jpg
finale.jpg
bird-man.jpg

Here is a short video with a few highlights of the performance that lasted for an hour.  The cast was available both before and after the show to pose for photographs.

CITY TOUR BY TRICICLO

After the show, we spotted a half dozen Triciclos with their drivers outside the convention center.  They were selling one-hour city tours for $20.  They had longer tours, but one hour was plenty of time.

triciclo.jpg

HAL offers a prepaid tour you can buy in advance, but the price is double what you can easily get on the street by yourself.

The ride is bumpy and loud – no seatbelts, so hang on.  Don’t expect much, if any, commentary.  We spent a few minutes circling the Catedral Nossa Senhora do Carmo, or Cathedral of Our Lady of Mount Carmel and stopped for a picture.

church-1.jpg Cathedral of Our Lady of Mount Carmel

The most prominent structure in Parintins is The Centro Cultural de Parintins, better known as the Bumbódromo.  This is a multipurpose non-sports arena where the traditional Parintins Folklore Festival takes place every June.  It’s one of the most important popular festivals in the country, recognized as Cultural Heritage of Brazil by the National Institute of Historical and Artistic Heritage.

stadium.jpg Bumbódromo

Here is a video of the 2023 Festival

The festival celebrates a local legend about a resurrected ox.  It is also a competition where two teams, Garantido and Caprichoso, compete in extended retellings of the story, each attempting to outdo the other with flamboyant dances, singing, and parade floats.  Coca-Cola sponsors the event and produces both red and blue colored cans for sale during the festival.

image-4-e1706049355678.png The blue Coca-Cola can is only available during the festival

The winning team from the previous year will also perform in the convention center when cruise ships visit.

street-cleaners.jpg
Street Cleaners heading to work
city-sights.jpg
Street sculpture across from the Bumbódromo
city-street.jpg
Motorcycles were common
driver-1.jpg Pete with our Triciclo driver after our ride

As you can see on the map above, we made one lap of the city center before returning to our starting point near the convention center.

paritins-selfie.jpg

WORLD STAGE

Sid Davis performed for the second time this evening.  He is hilarious and well worth your time.

sid-davis-2.jpg
sid-davis.jpg
Edited by The-Inside-Cabin
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 2

Thanks for the recommendation Pete. My Tach luggage arrived this afternoon. I’ve had fun rolling it around the house. Can’t wait to try it out on our flight to Hawaii in March. Even my DH thought it was a good idea. And I got the discount using your link.

Edited by SusieKIslandGirl
Forgot to add something.
  • Like 5