2024 Grand World Voyage with The Inside Cabin

The-Inside-Cabin

@The-Inside-Cabin  So great to see so many familiar faces!  Now, you have a picture of Henk.....keep it and take pictures as you go along so we get to see his hair grow.  AND, see how long it is at the end of the cruise, lol!  It gets pretty long!  I know....weird but it's an observation I've made over the last couple WC's we were on.  😎

Linda R.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, moscow123456 said:

Pete - can you ask Judy what brand shoes she is wearing in this photo?  I absolutely love her shoes!!  I have been reading your blog for a couple of years now and am so excited to follow along as you and Judy traverse the world once again!

image.thumb.png.3a1bc973c71c76eb47c26dc14ecb2868.png

Judy is the "Poster Girl" for traveling smart and with comfort!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

In response to the comments about the copies of the passport, we always take two copies (each) with us but we've intentionally done black & white copies as we are cautious about being accused of trying to create a counterfeit copy.  Maybe just weird paranoia on our part, but that's how we handle it.  Like another poster indicated, we travel with one copy no matter where we go and leave a copy in the safe.

• Like 2

Aloha. Seems like the old Port Guides just revamped. Always enjoy collecting them but they have useful information no matter how many times we have been blessed to visit. Enjoy the day!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, The-Inside-Cabin said:

Arrived Scarborough for the first port of the 2024 World Cruise.   8-5.    A few quick hits.  More later 

Nice day

IMG_3781.thumb.jpeg.df3eb30bd638c456780f84e65dcde5f6.jpeg

IMG_3782.thumb.jpeg.5ce084b0554805f79ad566be69403825.jpeg

They are trying out a new port guide.    What do you think?

image.thumb.jpg.217b116846a4b678a9cfaf7e0eb5fc9c.jpg

image.thumb.jpg.b9c3974a774cdba5363c65e5e74fb575.jpg

Are these port guides a unique WC service?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Alphen said:

Are these port guides a unique WC service?

They made it sound like these may be rolled out fleet-wide - based on our feedback.  We'll see...

For now, I think we are the only folks getting these

Edited by The-Inside-Cabin
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, The-Inside-Cabin said:

They made it sound like these may be rolled out fleet-wide - based on our feedback.  We'll see...

Thanks for the info, have taken the liberty of saving and reposting the info on Scarborough, on our upcoming Amazon cruise in 2025. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

MEET AND GREET AT SEA (POST #8) 5 JAN 2024

Click "Show More Posts" to show all the links to the other posts for the 2024 World Cruise
Show More Posts

Feature 1 of 1

After two years of chatting on our roll call, many of us finally meet face to face

NIEUW STATENDAM

This morning we noticed another cruise ship heading in the opposite direction as we sailed east of Puerto Rico.  I zoomed in with binoculars and saw this was the Nieuw Statendam heading back to Fort Lauderdale at the end of her 21-day round-trip Southern Caribbean Cruise.

nieuw-statendam.jpg Niuew Statendam on her way back to Fort Lauderdale

COFFEE CHAT

Hotel General Manager Henk Mensink was the guest at Coffee Chat.  He announced that the Brazilian Visa was no longer required and discussed various topics.

Henk-Coffee-Chat.jpg Henk Mensink, Hotel General Manager

CRUISE CRITIC ROLL CALL

Our Cruise Critic Roll Call – which started over two years ago – was a place for people to meet online and share tips, get advice on various topics, and provide a forum to share plans for shore excursions and more.  Over 300 people participated in the Roll Call, and 280 requested a nametag to attend our face-to-face meet and greet this morning at 10 am.

MEET AND GREET

Kim and Shelly, along with other volunteers, met in the Arts and Crafts room, immediately aft of the Crow’s Nest on the port side to pass out name tags to arriving guests.

Nametag-Stuffers.jpg Volunteers helped assemble and pass out nametags.

We started a few minutes after 10 am, acknowledging Kathy @LuvsACruise for creating the wonderful photo book that shared photos and information about fellow cruisers.  Another big thanks to Kim @stickman99for gathering all the information for the name tags, printing them and getting them stuffed and distributed.

meet-and-greet-2.jpg
meet-and-greet.jpg

Bonita talked about the passenger-led fitness class she organizes and plans for Mahjong.

Betsy-Book.jpg Betsy talked about the classical book club

Betsy discussed the classical book club she is organizing and announced the following books and meeting dates.

Feb 2: JANE EYRE by Charlotte Bronte.

April 12: A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith

May 5 :  Murder on the Orient Express, by Agatha Christie

I talked about the Community Events bulletin board on the starboard side of the Crow’s Nest, where you can post information about special interest activities to help find other interested passengers.

Pete-at-Meet-and-Greet.jpg

After some other general announcements, we wrapped up around 10:30

ACCOUNTING CHANGE

On previous world cruises, credit cards weren’t charged until the end of the cruise.  We received a letter HERE that announced that our account balance would be charged to our credit card about once a month.

CRAFT PROJECT

Group A met today for the first Arts & Crafts project of the cruise.

Craft-Project.jpg The first craft project of the cruise

WORLD STAGE

Chris Ritchie was a featured entertainer this evening.  He was a big hit – singing popular songs from a variety of artists, including Neil Diamond, Tom Jones, Engelbert Humperdinck, and Elvis.  There was a nice-sized crowd for the 9:30 show, and Chris received an enthusiastic standing ovation at the conclusion.

Chris-Ritchie-2.jpg
Chris Ritchie
Chris-Ritchie.jpg
Chris put on a fantastic show
adoring-fans.jpg
Chris joked that he wished fans would storm the stage – a few complied!

5 Jan 24 Menu.pdf 1-5-24 Daily Program316.pdf 3 Jan Entertainement Guide.pdf

Edited by The-Inside-Cabin
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, SusieKIslandGirl said:

Thanks so much for your detailed reports and good photos. I am curious as to how many name tags weren’t picked up at the M & G. Always disappointed when there are a lot who sign up but don’t actually show up.

64% of those who requested name tags picked them up.  I usually plan on 75% show rate for first M and G and then each following one will drop by 50%   We are going to try and send out reminders for our next one in February.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the detailed reports, we're planning for the 2026 world cruise just after retirement and are getting lots of great ideas from your blogs and the others that you've posted. 

For the craft classes do you need to bring anything on board or is everything provided? Also for the book club, is it assumed that people will use an e-reader or are there somehow copies of the books onboard. 
Thank you!

• Like 1

On 12/31/2023 at 11:50 PM, The-Inside-Cabin said:

On the way to the airport with this amazing Tach luggage!   We can easily roll these bags around unassisted.   They all stay connected with Velcro.  H/T to @Mary Ellen

IMG_3663.thumb.jpeg.ea86cd05f0707c011a2ff3df860ee403.jpeg

Pete, I am entranced by this luggage.  Did you order it online or is Tach carried  in certain shores?

Thanks for sharing your expertise with us.  It is most appreciated.

Pete - I am entranced by this luggage!  Did you order in online o

• Like 1

Just now, Tampa Girl said:

Pete, I am entranced by this luggage.  Did you order it online or is Tach carried  in certain shores?

Sorry for the duplicate.  My new computer and I are not quite in sync.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Tampa Girl said:

I have never seen Tach in stores - I am pretty sure it is online only.   

HERE is the link for the ones we bought - they are $335 for 3 and you usually get a pop up coupon for another 25% off.   We have the softside lighter ones - they also make hard sides - Amazon sells them but I think you get better prices going direct to Tach

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, The-Inside-Cabin said:

Betsy-Book.jpg Betsy talked about the classical book club

Betsy discussed the classical book club she is organizing and announced the following books and meeting dates.

Feb 2: JANE EYRE by Charlotte Bronte.

April 12: A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith

May 5 :  Murder on the Orient Express, by Agatha Christie

Oh my, this I love. I have read the first two on the list but not the Agatha Christie but then my 83 year old mother has read everything Christie ever wrote probably 3 or 4 times so I guess I never felt the need. She is the mystery buff.

A Tree Grows in Brooklyn is a wonderful read and a wonderful movie too. One of my favorites. 

I clean up a book about every week or 2. I get it from momma. As a child she would get fussed at by her momma for squirrelling away the flash light in bed at night and reading her novels until all hours. I just have my Kindle now and dh doesn't seem bothered. Yay technology!

I try to "discover" a new classic novel every year. Edith Wharton, Edna Ferber, and Daphne du Maurier, these ladies have kept me busy the last few years. Such fantastic stories. 

• Like 4

On 1/7/2024 at 4:49 AM, The-Inside-Cabin said:

Thank you for sharing so much with us on this World Cruise.

I think that the 2023 Grand Africa Voyage and the Tales of the South Pacific also had maps with port information.  Not sure what other cruises might have also.  Really glad to see the maps + back.

Barbara

• Like 1

22 hours ago, The-Inside-Cabin said:

I have never seen Tach in stores - I am pretty sure it is online only.   

HERE is the link for the ones we bought - they are $335 for 3 and you usually get a pop up coupon for another 25.% off.   We have the softside lighter ones - they also make hard sides - Amazon sells them but I think you get better prices going direct to Tach

Thanks so much, Pete.  

MEET ME AT THE JUNCTION (POST #9) 6 JAN 2024

Click "Show More Posts" to show all the links to the other posts for the 2024 World Cruise
Show More Posts

Feature 1 of 1

Our first formal night and Tuxedo junction ended with a dinner with the Captain and his wife.

COFFEE CHAT

Kimberly Wells interviewed Entertainment Director Bienelisa and Entertainment Host Tomas during this morning’s coffee chat.

coffee-chat.jpg

FORMAL NIGHT

Tonight was the first formal night of the cruise. Over the years, formal nights gave way to Gala Nights, Dressy Nights, and other variations of a more casual theme.

The Grand Voyages are different and they have brought back Formal Night with the requirement that a Tux or suit was required for men in all table service restaurants. This requirement was emphasized by the Cruise and Travel Director, Kimberly, during her Noon and afternoon announcements.

As it turned out there was 100% dress code compliance based on my observations and discussions with others. Unlike Cunard, where the dress code extends to all public areas outside the Lido deck, there wasn’t any dress code in the lounges but we only noticed a handful of people in more casual attire.

TUXEDO JUNCTION

I started the Tuxedo Junction back in 2022 to provide a place for men to gather who continued the more formal tradition of wearing a Tux. On shorter cruises, you may find about 3-5% of men wearing tuxedos and the Tuxedo Junction was sometimes sparsely attended. The Captain’s welcome toast was at 7 pm, so we scheduled the Junction for 6:15 pm. We had a great turnout, as people at both seatings were able to stop by for a few minutes.

Tuxedo-Junction-13.jpg Tuxedo Junction!

TJ-2.jpg

TJ-1.jpg

CAPTAINS WELCOME TOAST

capt-toast.jpg

Kimberly introduced Captain Frank van der Hoeven at 7 pm on the World Stage. He gave us a brief overview of his career before introducing the Zuiderdam’s senior officers:

Staff Captain: Karl Overloop
Chief Engineer: Pedro Van Houwelingen
Environmental Officer: Marcel VanZwol
Senior Doctor: Ralton August
Security Officer: Michael Berry II
HR Manager: Andrea Cosentino
Hotel GM – Henk Mensink
Asst Hotel GM: Mila Castellon
Food and Beverage: George Nurchandra
Beverage Manager: Edmund Simon
Executive Chef: Neil Ashworth
Finance Manager: Neil Joldersma
Guest Services Manager: Maja Milanoska
Exec Housekeeper: Shiv Charan
Entertainment Director: Bienelisa Manalang
Future Cruise Consultants: Justin and Melanie Perez

welcome-toast.jpg The Zuiderdam senior officers welcome-crowd.jpg Here was the crowd as the ceremony was starting

CAPTAIN'S TABLE

A ship’s officer hosts most formal night’s guests at fixed seating. This can be anyone from a Second Officer to the Captain. We were honored that Table 89 was selected by Captain Frank and his wife, Alexandra. Our table for 8 was expanded to fit 10, and our wine service was provided by the ship’s Cellar Master, Jacques Torres. Other than our special wine service, the remainder of our dinner service was by our normal waiters, who were outstanding as usual.

We enjoyed our conversation and learned that Capt Frank was a big Fan of Formula One Racing (The Red Bull team) and, surprisingly, American Football where he follows the Pittsburg Steelers. They live in Colonge, Germany, where the Captain remarked that the choice of NFL football games is limited – so you have to watch the one game available  regardless of your desires.

capt-gala-dinner-jazz-770.jpg The Captain and his wife hosted Table 89!

PRODUCTION SHOW

The Holland America Singers and Dancers were on the World Stage for their first production show,
“In the Mood”. They will be performing 18 times during this voyage. We enjoyed the show very much and they were outstanding as always.

Production-Show_.jpg

PILLOW GIFTS

Back in our Cabin, we found our “Pillow Gifts”. In the past, these were spread out over the voyage, but tonight, we received five useful gifts that we will be able to enjoy for the remainder of the voyage.

pillow-gift.jpg

pillow-gift-2.jpg This is how we found the gifts as we returned to the cabin soft-hat.jpg Floppy Hat with Holland America Logo tote-bag.jpg Tote Bag messenger-bag.jpg Messenger Bag power-bank.jpg 8000 MaH power bank

wallet.jpg Grand Voyage wallet
  • Like 17
  • Thanks 1

Quite the honor for Table 89 and you all looked fabulous... thank you for sharing your lovely evening with us!   Here in the MST, we just finished watching a rather mundane National Championship (34-13 Big Blue).  Sigh.  Tell the Captain that his Steelers are still alive, and playing the Buffalo Bills on Wildcard Weekend... 🏈😲

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, julia said:

Quite the honor for Table 89 and you all looked fabulous... thank you for sharing your lovely evening with us!   Here in the MST, we just finished watching a rather mundane National Championship (34-13 Big Blue).  Sigh.  Tell the Captain that his Steelers are still alive, and playing the Buffalo Bills on Wildcard Weekend... 🏈😲

We watched the game here - sigh is right ----Hoping the Browns can get to the Super Bowl!

• Like 2