My head is spinning: CO vs Neptune Suite vs HIA?

Hobar

Will be sailing HAL (first time HAL) in Neptune Suite. Have the Signature drink package (as we were not abloe to book the Elite package pre-board),  What are differences bet perks in NS vs CO vs HIA?  (Coming from all-inclusive lines so that is why I am asking these questions.) 

Is there anything more I can add pre-board to make this a seamless cruise?

Edited by Hobar

• Hobar changed the title to My head is spinning: CO vs Neptune Suite vs HIA?

You do not need CO if you are in a Neptune Suite.   The HIA package includes various things…. Drink package, Excursion $, OBC, Crew Gratuity (sometimes), Dining Package for speciality restaurants, - it depends on the HIA when you book.   

You have CO with Neptune along with free laundry and you have added drink package.   You could pre purchase WiFi, book specialty dining and prepay tips…. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I did purchase the HIA but it included only Signature package.  15 drinks daily will be sufficient, but sure we will exceed the $11 per drink max, especially since, as I understand, drink prices have increased.  Our HIA does not include tips (despite booking agent on-line verbally saying it does.) Oh well.  

Neptunes get CO included, so no worry there.  Plus Neptunes get VIP (early) boarding and tenders, plus free laundry and a few other perks.  Plus of course access to the Neptune Lounge and the concierges there who can do about everything for you (even get your airline boarding passes, specialty dining reservations and problem solving. 

HIA packages can vary a bit, but generally you get $$$ for shore excursions, 1-3 specialty dinners (depends on the length of cruise), free wifi, and of course drinks.  One nice thing about this and being in a Neptune is that you can get free drinks from the Neptune lounge (just sign a slip as its an honor bar) - very quick, convenient.

Neptunes with HIA makes for a nice cruise!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You might want to also look into the thermal spa and/or the private outdoor cabanas to add to your package of add-on treats for total indulgence. Plus order some very lovely flower arrangements for your spacious Neptune cabin.  You will have a small flower arrangement in the Neptune cabin, but HAL does such a good job with larger ones which can easily last at least two weeks if you want to feel lavish. They are well priced.

Which ship are you on?  Have you chosen your cabin?

The older and smaller the ship, the grander the Neptune cabins are. They get a bit smaller or more spread out on different decks on the newer and larger ships. We always liked being as close as possible to the Neptune Lounge, so we could easily pop in and out throughout the day.

I rarely went to the Lido for breakfast or lunch - had everything I liked right in the Neptune Lounge. I would take items back to the cabin so a little tray or flat carrying basket was helpful.  There are tables in the Lounge and you can eat there. But I loved spending time in the cabin itself and its very spacious outdoor verandah.

Then try searching the blog here for past Neptune Lounge threads to learn about  the other extras that are available too for Neptune Suite room service: canapés if you want to entertain, afternoon delivered tea service, and full course dinners.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

If you paid to have the signature beverage package (SBP) added I suggest you cancel it and book HIA which will cost less and include excursion $s, wifi and specialty dining options, If the HIA package includes the SBP you should be able to upgrade to Elite once on board but you need to do so before getting ANY drink on the SBP. Just ask to upgrade at any bar and if you get refused at a bar just keep trying at different bars.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Hobar said:

I did purchase the HIA but it included only Signature package.  15 drinks daily will be sufficient, but sure we will exceed the $11 per drink max, especially since, as I understand, drink prices have increased.  Our HIA does not include tips (despite booking agent on-line verbally saying it does.) Oh well.  

What do you normally drink? Our scientifically certified reference drinks are Ketel One & Soda with lime and Maker's Mark on the rocks. Both are top shelf liquors and are now - and have always been - covered under the SBP.

Just a note to agree with one of @OlsSalt's suggestions: we try to be close to the Neptune lounge, as we tend to pop in frequently with any question that might occur to us, and we've found the concierge almost always very helpful and obliging.

We also use a lot of ice, and it's often easier to go and ask the concierge to get ice (which they have nearby) than to have it delivered.

14 hours ago, Hobar said:

In case you are not aware, the $11 drink is only a cap on the amount that is gratuitous.  If you buy a more expensive drink, you pay only the difference.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, YourWorldWithBill said:

Just a note to agree with one of @OlsSalt's suggestions: we try to be close to the Neptune lounge, as we tend to pop in frequently with any question that might occur to us, and we've found the concierge almost always very helpful and obliging.

We also use a lot of ice, and it's often easier to go and ask the concierge to get ice (which they have nearby) than to have it delivered.

But being further away adds more steps on a cruise that you may find yourself eating alot more than you usually do at home. 😉

• Like 2

We had HIA and a Neptune suite last cruise, so no need for CO.  We have purchased CO on an upcoming Veranda modified to a Vista Suite, as it financially made sense with the benefits.

IN 2024 we are doing the exact same cruise (same ship and sailing and cabin category) but are not purchasing the HIA this time.  Perhaps we will get the quench package and internet separately, but we hardly purchased any liqueur or even came close to the 15-drink limit to justify the higher cost.  

15 minutes ago, scooter6139 said:

We had HIA and a Neptune suite last cruise, so no need for CO.  We have purchased CO on an upcoming Veranda modified to a Vista Suite, as it financially made sense with the benefits.

Was your veranda modified to a Vista at no extra cost because of CO? I didn't think that was possible, as a Vista is another category.

4 hours ago, YourWorldWithBill said:

Was your veranda modified to a Vista at no extra cost because of CO? I didn't think that was possible, as a Vista is another category.

No, our PCC notified us that we had some special rate that we could use, so we took it.  Think it was a re-fare with CO added.

Thank you all who took the time to respond.  I truly appreciate the responsive posts.  I also sense that HAL cruisers are friendly and welcoming to HAL virgins.  We will be sailing on the Koningsdam, Mexican Riviera, R/T San Diego.  We chose this particular cruse because my mom is mobility limited so want to avoid air travel; we will be driving to/from Arizona. It will be my mom, sister and me.  Taking my mom is my way to thank her for introducing my husband and me to cruising over 20 years ago.  We’ve all been to Mexico so this is about being together, not the itinerary.  Looking forward to meeting fabulous people on board and having load of tun and laughs. 

• Like 4

On 12/28/2023 at 9:07 PM, DaveOKC said:

One nice thing about this and being in a Neptune is that you can get free drinks from the Neptune lounge (just sign a slip as its an honor bar) - very quick, convenient.

Honor Bar drinks are counted against 15 max, correct?

On 12/29/2023 at 1:34 AM, Nang said:

If you paid to have the signature beverage package (SBP) added I suggest you cancel it and book HIA which will cost less and include excursion $s, wifi and specialty dining options, If the HIA package includes the SBP you should be able to upgrade to Elite once on board but you need to do so before getting ANY drink on the SBP. Just ask to upgrade at any bar and if you get refused at a bar just keep trying at different bars.

Thank you.  I did get the HIA.  I think it will be a wash to upgrade to Elite vs. just paying as we go for drinks over $11. 

On 12/29/2023 at 7:01 AM, POA1 said:

What do you normally drink? Our scientifically certified reference drinks are Ketel One & Soda with lime and Maker's Mark on the rocks. Both are top shelf liquors and are now - and have always been - covered under the SBP.

Changes.  No longer dedicated to any particular drink.  I’m fairly confident I will find plenty of drinks within the $11 range.  My dad was a bartender in his youth and told me once you mix any alcohol, the brand no longer matters.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Hobar said:

Changes.  No longer dedicated to any particular drink.  I’m fairly confident I will find plenty of drinks within the $11 range.  My dad was a bartender in his youth and told me once you mix any alcohol, the brand no longer matters.

OK...But I mix with ice, and my wife mixes with a splash of plain soda water and a lime. It doesn't get much more neutral than that.

I think you'll be fine with the $11 limit.

• Thanks 1

QUESTION: If we 3 ‘bestie gals’ share a Signature or Vista Suite on a 15/day Caribbean must all 3 of us have the same Beverage Pkg.  or HIA add-ons? 2 of us like our cocktails & 1 doesn’t. If it matters, I am 4-star for laundry etc. TIA

1 hour ago, LocoLoco1 said:

QUESTION: If we 3 ‘bestie gals’ share a Signature or Vista Suite on a 15/day Caribbean must all 3 of us have the same Beverage Pkg.  or HIA add-ons? 2 of us like our cocktails & 1 doesn’t. If it matters, I am 4-star for laundry etc. TIA

Yes, everyone (adult) in a cabin must have the same Beverage Package (HIA or bought separate, but HIA is the deal). Your laundry is for everyone in the same cabin.