Airplane mode?

Crusin Karen

I go into airplane mode as soon as I board because I don’t want to take the chance of anyone at work being able to reach me while I am in vacation.  I have missed too many sail away parties because there is usually some emergency just as I am about to take a sip of my first Fun Ship.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

Just put data roaming to OFF. You don’t need to out your phone in Airplane mode unless you want to go off-grid completely.

Remember not to accept calls you don’t want in order to avoid roaming charges.

Edited by Despegue
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Despegue said:

Just put data roaming to OFF. You don’t need to out your phone in Airplane mode unless you want to go off-grid completely.

The danger with that is you can still receive SMS and many carriers charge for SMS received while roaming. It is best to put the device in airplane mode.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Despegue said:

Thats what we do..no airplane mode. I am too paranoid to be that off grid..like if I get a call from the highway patrol telling me one of my sons has driven off a cliff and is in the hospital...ok I KNOW how crazy that is. That being said, turning data roaming off is enough

• Like 1

10 hours ago, FTLCruiseGal said:

I go into airplane mode as soon as I board because I don’t want to take the chance of anyone at work being able to reach me while I am in vacation.  I have missed too many sail away parties because there is usually some emergency just as I am about to take a sip of my first Fun Ship.

My coworkers know there is no cell service on ships.... and nobody better tell them otherwise

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, mz-s said:

The danger with that is you can still receive SMS and many carriers charge for SMS received while roaming. It is best to put the device in airplane mode.

Probably depends on the person. I need to be able to receive SMS from my anti-iPhone boss. And I like to have my phone operable for emergencies. I just turn roaming off and I'm good. What Carnival tells people to do is overkill just so nobody can come back and blame them for charges. I'd rather be honest with people. There are alternatives to putting your phone in airplane mode for an entire week.

Edited by Saint Greg

12 minutes ago, Saint Greg said:

Probably depends on the person. I need to be able to receive SMS from my anti-iPhone boss. And I like to have my phone operable for emergencies. I just turn roaming off and I'm good. What Carnival tells people to do is overkill just so nobody can come back and blame them for charges. I'd rather be honest with people. There are alternatives to putting your phone in airplane mode for an entire week.

Consider the audience.

3 minutes ago, Saint Greg said:

I get why they lie to people. I'm not going to do it.

Carnival doesn't lie, they just tell folks to put their phone in airplane mode so they don't get any roaming charges. There's no lie there. Folks who are OK accepting roaming are free to do whatever they want.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, mz-s said:

Carnival doesn't lie, they just tell folks to put their phone in airplane mode so they don't get any roaming charges. There's no lie there. Folks who are OK accepting roaming are free to do whatever they want.

Yeah they do. Sometimes they blatantly tell you that's the only way you won't get charged and it's not true. I prefer to tell people the whole truth and let them make their own decisions. Carnival just wants the quick easy way.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Saint Greg said:

Yeah they do. Sometimes they blatantly tell you that's the only way you won't get charged and it's not true. I prefer to tell people the whole truth and let them make their own decisions. Carnival just wants the quick easy way.

I am just going by their documentation on their website/funtimes/app. What guest services tells guests I can't say.

But even so - when you've got people asking if they should bring their charger, you can see why...

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, mz-s said:

I am just going by their documentation on their website/funtimes/app. What guest services tells guests I can't say.

But even so - when you've got people asking if they should bring their charger, you can see why...

I can't tell you what guest services tells people. I can only tell you what I hear cruise directors announce.

A blanket statement is required when dealing with the public and 15000 types of cell phone plans.  Guest Services can't be expected to know who may get charged.  Can't tell you how many times people thought their plans covered all roaming and expect someone else to be responsible for international charges.  

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Elaine5715 said:

A blanket statement is required when dealing with the public and 15000 types of cell phone plans.  Guest Services can't be expected to know who may get charged.  Can't tell you how many times people thought their plans covered all roaming and expect someone else to be responsible for international charges.  

A lot of people don't realize that ships are often not included in carrier's roaming packages.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Saint Greg said:

Like mentioned above, between the thousands of different cell phone plans not to mention the many different manufactures/operating systems on each cell phone, Carnival is simply picking the guaranteed no exceptions way of making sure you don't get charges.

There is absolutely no reason for the Cruise Director to spoon feed product/plan specific directions for half a day to make sure everyone on board knows the "proper" way to have their individual phones set. Airplane mode gets the job done across the board. If an individual wants to mess with settings beyond doing that, that is 100% their prerogative as well as their own risk. 

Edited by dabomb6608
  • Like 6

TLDR: Moral of the story, call or research your phone plans before you get on the ship. There is a good chance they might have a built in Mexico/international plan of some sort that could be free as well. Just like everything else in life...it is all about personal responsibility to figure things out beforehand.  If you don't mind a little disconnect during days at sea this might be a great alternative to spending on the wifi packages.

Just returned home from a week on Mardi Gras. Phones kept on airplane mode while away from land. We have Verizon and in Costa Maya and Cozumel we each had 2gb of free data per day and unlimited talk/text which was explained in a text received as soon as phones connected to service. When we arrived to Roatan I tested with my phone turning cellular on. Once connected to service I received a text explaining I had 12 available "travelpass" days banked and would begin using one immediately. It allowed the same 2gb of free data and unlimited talk/text that we had while in the Mexico ports. Wife had the same. This was plenty for our needs. We like being "disconnected" during these vacations and avoided cellphone usage even while in these ports when we could have been using them. Phones stayed on airplane mode while in port except during times of actual usage.

Signal sucked if we in the interior of the ship...obviously its a huge steel signal block.  Speeds were tolerable for the most part. My wife made phone calls each stop to her mother to check in. That worked perfectly each time.

Edited by dabomb6608
  • Haha 1

On 1/8/2024 at 4:56 PM, ksmcdonald said:

Do you put in airplane mode even if you are getting the Wi-Fi package?

Airplane mode doesn't affect WiFi at all. Cellular and WiFi are different radios in your cell phone.