What Would You Do!

This past September my brother, his wife, and me were scheduled to cruise Alaska on Radiance of the Seas. The cruise was ultimately cancelled after the ship hit ice (in Alaska, go figure 😉) and the propulsion system was damaged. RCCL was extremely generous in returning all monies and offering an FCC towards another cruise. We were told, in writing, all OBC would be transferred to the cruise. Due to the tremendous price increases our FCC wouldn’t cover the cost of the balcony cabins we had on Radiance and downgraded to Ocean View cabins on Enchantment next month. I called several weeks ago to have my Alaska OBC (which was a Next Cruise credit) applied to my Enchantment cruise and was told that because I now had an Ocean View and not a balcony my Next Cruise credit would be $50 instead of $100. As you can imagine, this did NOT go over well with me because 1. RC canceled the original cruise and 2. The crazy price increases, I felt like I was being penalized. My story has a happy ending because after escalating my call I was given a $50 “were nice” courtesy credit to make up the difference. My bro and SIL, not so much. Fast forward to this week, my bro called and went through the same song and dance I went through and was told because of the Next Cruise cabin difference they were only due $50 OBC total (out of $100 per person or $200 total). He remained calm and polite, asked to escalate the call and was told again that $50 was all they could do AND that Next Cruise had made a mistake by giving them both $100 OBC for the ill-fated Alaskan cruise. He asked to escalate the call again and was told he’d get a call back within 48 hours. I told him to contact Mike Bayley which he did with ALL the details, including mine, and now he waits. My question is, if they are told again that $50 out of $200 OBC is the “best” RC can do, is there any other recourse? RC cancelled the original Alaska cruise which was disappointing enough but having to deal with the higher prices AND this OBC fiasco is enough to say adios to RC. For what it’s worth the Alaska cruise was to be our first Diamond cruise. Thanks for your input! 

I'm confused how you had $200 obc. Next cruise was 25 for inside, 50 you say ov, 100 for a balcony.

Where did the other 100 come from?

Idk what other recourse since you got the correct amount from next cruise. I've had a issue and never got what I hope, nothing I could do. Once you escalate it and they say no, nothing higher I know of. Mine was a different issue. I gave up.

• Like 1

I don't think it's time wasted - keep pushing until you get what you want.  If we, the customers, continue to allow ourselves to be pushed around by big companies and accepting continually diminishing earned perks, we will never get them to value the customer over company profits. 

• Like 4

If I’m understanding this right, you got inconvenienced by missing your Radiance cruise because of uncontrollable circumstances (which is understandably disappointing) but got a full refund and a free cruise (in FCC) and you’re all upset after losing $50 in obc?  
I think you’re still way ahead. 

• Like 9

35 minutes ago, Reltco said:

I don't think it's time wasted - keep pushing until you get what you want.  If we, the customers, continue to allow ourselves to be pushed around by big companies and accepting continually diminishing earned perks, we will never get them to value the customer over company profits. 

While I agree in theory, cant make them do what you want always. Sometimes the answer is no. They have been very tight about money lately.

My issue was I booked a inside gty which I paid a solo supplement on. Imo if I pay a solo supplement it shouldnt be possible to get assigned a solo cabin that has no supplement. I should have gotten a regular inside. I got no where with them. I no showed for a variety of reasons. Might have gone if id gotten a regular cabin. I still am not happy about it, but cant do anything. I'm just saying sometimes lately rcl is so tight with money you cant always reason with them successfully. Imo they were in the wrong. They know there is nothing you can do. 

It sounds like the original cabin should have received $100 OBC (just like yours) and the additional $100 OBC was an error.  Businesses are allowed to correct errors and customers should not expect to keep erroneous funds.  A customer who continues to push to recover erroneous credit is showing bad .faith, and a customer who shows bad faith is unlikely to receive a good faith gesture (such the good will $50 OBC you received).

Your bro took a shot at the larger amount and it may have backfired.  I think he should stop wasting his time on it.

• Like 1

Let me see if I’m understanding this right, the majority of respondents would be perfectly happy having $50 OBC when you once had $200. Interesting. Well you are much better people than I am. Where are all my bitter, anti-establishment rabble-rousers? Where are my folks who are tired of the Man? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!...

It ain't over now, 'cause when the goin' gets tough, the tough get goin'. Who's with me? Let's go! Come on!... I’m taking this over the Crown & Anchor group on FB. They love a good outrage story! 😂

• Haha 3

7 minutes ago, NeepierRoad said:

Let me see if I’m understanding this right, the majority of respondents would be perfectly happy having $50 OBC when you once had $200. Interesting. Well you are much better people than I am. Where are all my bitter, anti-establishment rabble-rousers? Where are my folks who are tired of the Man? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!...

It ain't over now, 'cause when the goin' gets tough, the tough get goin'. Who's with me? Let's go! Come on!... I’m taking this over the Crown & Anchor group on FB. They love a good outrage story! 😂

Maybe you should have paid closer attention in history class…

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, NeepierRoad said:

I think what most agree with here is this is all free funds from RCL. They applied the obc based on the room you booked now, not the one you had. As they should have. It was nice they extended an additional $50 to you when they didnt need to but did it as good will. Had you went on your original cruise its a non issue that they messed up and duplicated the others OBC. But that duplication was caught and corrected. We are so quick to scream when RCL messes up but in this case they gave you what they should have and then some when they didnt need too. 

Continuing to monopolize customer service over this is wrong in my opinion.They applied it according to the parameters of the program. If you found a sailing with equivalent fare in a balcony, you would have received the 100 and so would the others (not the 200). So I fail to see how RCl wronged anyone.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, NeepierRoad said:

This past September my brother, his wife, and me were scheduled to cruise Alaska on Radiance of the Seas. The cruise was ultimately cancelled after the ship hit ice (in Alaska, go figure 😉) and the propulsion system was damaged. RCCL was extremely generous in returning all monies and offering an FCC towards another cruise. We were told, in writing, all OBC would be transferred to the cruise. Due to the tremendous price increases our FCC wouldn’t cover the cost of the balcony cabins we had on Radiance and downgraded to Ocean View cabins on Enchantment next month. I called several weeks ago to have my Alaska OBC (which was a Next Cruise credit) applied to my Enchantment cruise and was told that because I now had an Ocean View and not a balcony my Next Cruise credit would be $50 instead of $100. As you can imagine, this did NOT go over well with me because 1. RC canceled the original cruise and 2. The crazy price increases, I felt like I was being penalized. My story has a happy ending because after escalating my call I was given a $50 “were nice” courtesy credit to make up the difference. My bro and SIL, not so much. Fast forward to this week, my bro called and went through the same song and dance I went through and was told because of the Next Cruise cabin difference they were only due $50 OBC total (out of $100 per person or $200 total). He remained calm and polite, asked to escalate the call and was told again that $50 was all they could do AND that Next Cruise had made a mistake by giving them both $100 OBC for the ill-fated Alaskan cruise. He asked to escalate the call again and was told he’d get a call back within 48 hours. I told him to contact Mike Bayley which he did with ALL the details, including mine, and now he waits. My question is, if they are told again that $50 out of $200 OBC is the “best” RC can do, is there any other recourse? RC cancelled the original Alaska cruise which was disappointing enough but having to deal with the higher prices AND this OBC fiasco is enough to say adios to RC. For what it’s worth the Alaska cruise was to be our first Diamond cruise. Thanks for your input! 

So much drama and involving upper mgmt for so little money. 

• Like 1