Timing question for 26 Glaciers on same day embarking Princess cruise at whittier

EP23

3 hours ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

I would, however, be concerned by your 12:20pm arrival time on the train. All kind of things could delay that. 

Thank you everyone for the inputs again!

I contacted the 26 glacier, they said they have package with the train ride so they do expect to have passenger arriving by the train. So the train depart at anchorage at 9:45am, and train ride last 2.5 hours. Will arrive at Whittier at 12:15. 

while the 26 glacier depart at 12:30pm and back at 6:20pm. 

With that say, I do see the timing is very tight, leave no room for error. And not sure if princess even allow us to check in with them after 6:30pm…..

And seems like all the comment was about having a back to back trip. Not before boarding the cruise. I do have other mentioned that there is a reason that princess does not offer the excursions before the cruise. And this would be too much of a gamble….. 😔

3 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

If I might ask, how would you even be able to book this excursion if you were embarking on the cruise the same day?

I contacted the 26 glacier for information and to book with them directly. That pretty much imply I guess if anything happened that we are not able to get on cruise. It is on us totally. Not princess and not 26 glacier tour. 😔

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, EP23 said:

I contacted the 26 glacier for information and to book with them directly. That pretty much imply I guess if anything happened that we are not able to get on cruise. It is on us totally. Not princess and not 26 glacier tour. 😔

I will admit upfront we are cruiseaholics, but have you considered booking the full 14-day Voyage of the Vikings cruise rather than spending the first week on your own touring out of Anchorage? It’s a pretty awesome B2B cruise.

Edited by Ken the cruiser

3 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

I will admit upfront we are cruiseaholics, but have you considered booking the full 14-day Voyage of the Vikings cruise rather than spending the first week on your own touring out of Anchorage? It’s a pretty awesome B2B cruise.

😊 I will definitely keep that one in mind. In future I will definitely look into it. In law and hubby have already been making the decision of getting on this princess cruise and maybe a bit too late to switch since this trip will be in 2024 Aug. 

but as I do more research, I believe Alaska worth a second visit again in the future. So much to do and to see. Thank you everyone for the information! 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, EP23 said:

And seems like all the comment was about having a back to back trip. Not before boarding the cruise. I do have other mentioned that there is a reason that princess does not offer the excursions before the cruise. And this would be too much of a gamble….. 😔

Princess never offers excursions before a cruise unless you book a cruise tour.

There really is no gamble here. You can board up until 7:30. When I did it, there were Princess cruise tour people on the boat as part of their cruise tour.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks OP for starting this thread.  We are on a B2B in May also and had no idea what to do during our  time in Whittier.  We have plenty of OBC to cover the tour if Princess offers it.  

Also, thanks SCX22 for mentioning the Portage Pass Trail.  That sounds like an interesting option too.

51 minutes ago, coo359a2 said:

Thanks OP for starting this thread.  We are on a B2B in May also and had no idea what to do during our  time in Whittier.  We have plenty of OBC to cover the tour if Princess offers it.  

Also, thanks SCX22 for mentioning the Portage Pass Trail.  That sounds like an interesting option too.

I found Whittier to be charming, but I wouldn't stay for more than a few hours.  There's a small set of shops.  Swiftwater Cafe is pretty good for fish/shrimp and chips, breaded instead of battered.  Portage Pass Trail is mostly uphill, but you get a nice view of Portage Lake at the top and a great view of the marina where the ship is docked on the way down.  I think the 26 Glacier Cruise is pricey for what is, but when are you going to be able to do that again?  But once in a lifetime is enough for that excursion.  There's an Avis in town and I know of some that rented a car and drove to Anchorage.

2 hours ago, EP23 said:

I contacted the 26 glacier, they said they have package with the train ride so they do expect to have passenger arriving by the train. So the train depart at anchorage at 9:45am, and train ride last 2.5 hours. Will arrive at Whittier at 12:15. 

I assume that you will have luggage.  The problem with this timing is that will probably won't give you enough time to drop off your luggage.

41 minutes ago, SCX22 said:

I assume that you will have luggage.  The problem with this timing is that will probably won't give you enough time to drop off your luggage.

From what I have read, on a Princess train transfer you luggage is collected when you board, and you next see it in your cabin.  Maybe not carryons.  
  I just read a blog on the HAL board of a cruise tour in August.  They took the train from Denali (?) and the train ride was 9 hours.  Much longer than from Anchorage, but they were checked in while on the train.  EM

To the OP, check your cruise confirmation to see what the boarding times are for Whittier. I see 12:30 to 7:00 pm for an 8:30 pm sailaway. 

That said, I would never cut it that close. Personally, I would be worried the entire time if I was going to make it back on time. 

54 minutes ago, Essiesmom said:

From what I have read, on a Princess train transfer you luggage is collected when you board, and you next see it in your cabin.  Maybe not carryons.  

Per OP's post below, the transfer isn't though Princess but through the tour operator independently.

4 hours ago, EP23 said:

24 minutes ago, SKCruiser007 said:

To the OP, check your cruise confirmation to see what the boarding times are for Whittier. I see 12:30 to 7:00 pm

There were people already checking-in when we arrived back to the ship after our hike at 10:30 a.m.

I thought the 26 Glacier tour was quite poor, especially for the price, but then I was one of the unfortunates assigned an interior table seat. I won't do that tour again, just too crowded and aggravating.

I'd check onto the ship, put some hiking shoes on and, as SCX22 suggested, head on over to the Portage Pass trailhead. Go seek out a glacier on foot, a nice relaxing hike on your own schedule.

Just my opinion,

Walkingsoon

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, SKCruiser007 said:

To the OP, check your cruise confirmation to see what the boarding times are for Whittier. I see 12:30 to 7:00 pm for an 8:30 pm sailaway. 

That said, I would never cut it that close. Personally, I would be worried the entire time if I was going to make it back on time. 

26 Glaciers ship is 2 minutes from the cruise ship. The cruise ship uses this as a shore excursion for their B2B guests. This is a very common activity for those who are embarking the day of the cruise. As someone who has been to Whittier a ton, there is nothing like "cutting it close". There is plenty of time to make it. There are often people on Princess Cruise tours who are also on the boat as part of their cruise tour so those individuals will be embarking the ship also. I am amazed at those who have never been who think this is cutting it close.

Here is a picture of where the 26 Glaciers ship docked and the cruise ship pier. I took my Mom on it (and she was disabled).

There is no issue is missing the ship (there will be enough cruise ship passengers on it through tours or Princess excursion for B2B tours). It is a great tour that gets you close to College Fiords. The last time I was in College Fiords on a cruise ship - we didn't get close. People rave about this tour. Locals go on this tour. It is going to be far superior for viewing than those on cruise ships.

Edited to add a second picture of where you board 26 Glaciers and the cruise ship pier is right next to the cruise ship pier, literally.

wh1.jpg.webp.a34f44d27b24ae504c72751f7ae0a948.webp

26-glacier-cruise-by.jpg

Edited by Coral
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Here are some FAQ's from the company:

Arriving By Cruise Ship

Our day cruises connect seamlessly with the 7-day cruises across the Gulf of Alaska to the seaside port of Whittier, Alaska. Phillips Cruises & Tours, LLC docks in the Cliffside Marina adjacent to the Whittier Cruise Ship Terminal. Cruise ship guests will have plenty of time in port to enjoy our 26 Glacier Cruise or the Glacier Quest Cruise before or after their 7-day cruise. Our cruises also connect seamlessly with coach and rail service between Anchorage, Girdwood, and Whittier.

Luggage:

While you will be responsible for transferring your luggage between the transportation provider and the cruise ship terminal, we can provide assistance with storing your luggage during the cruise. Your luggage may be stored in a secure location next to our office and reclaimed after the day cruise. The Cruise Ship Terminal is adjacent to our pier and the ground surface is paved for an easy transition between the day cruise and the cruise ship.

Embarking Guests:

Coach Service: The coach departs Anchorage at 9:15 a.m. from the Hotel Captain Cook (downtown location). If you are staying near the airport or at a midtown hotel, please contact our office for the nearest pickup location. The location where you will board the coach must be confirmed at the time of reservation.

Rail Service: The Alaska Railroad operates their Glacier Discovery rail segment between Anchorage and Whittier. Check-in is 8:45 a.m. for a 9:30 a.m. all aboard! The Alaska Rail Depot is located at 411 W 1st Avenue in downtown Anchorage. The Alaska Railroad will arrive in Whittier at 12:05 p.m. which allows plenty of time to cross the street and check-in at our ticket office.

Disembarking Guests:

Day Cruise Coach Service: The day cruise coach service departs at 6:45 p.m. from the Cliffside Marina. Ask for your driver in front of the Phillips Cruises & Tours ticket office and our crew will direct you to where the coach is staged. If guests are staying at Alyeska Resort in Girdwood, we make a brief stop at 7:45 p.m. before continuing on to Anchorage for drop-off at the Hotel Captain Cook around 8:30 p.m. The last stop will be at the Anchorage International Airport at approximately 9:00 p.m. which allows an easy connection to flights departing Anchorage after 11:00 p.m.

Rail Service: Boarding begins at 6:15 p.m. and the Glacier Discovery train departs Whittier at 6:45 p.m. The train returns to Anchorage at approximately 9:15 p.m. to the Alaska Railroad Depot on 1st Avenue. A taxi from the rail depot to your next destination is recommended. Alaska cab can be reached at 907-222-2222.

23_WhittierMap_ver6-1536x1073.jpg.webp

Edited by Coral

12 hours ago, SCX22 said:

They will store your luggage or you can give it to the cruise ship pier individuals. Not an issue.

15 hours ago, EP23 said:

Princess doesn't offer any excursions (except for transfers) before a cruise.

I clicked on the link to the Princess excursion that was posted on this thread.  Reviews were all good that I read.  One person, even though they liked the tour, didn't like being assigned an inside table away from the windows.   The only things I wasn't thrilled with was that the number going on the cruise was up to 300.  Looking at the picture of the catamaran,  that seems like a lot of people to be on it.  For those that have been on this tour, did the catamaran seem crowded? 

Just now, coo359a2 said:

I clicked on the link to the Princess excursion that was posted on this thread.  Reviews were all good that I read.  One person, even though they liked the tour, didn't like being assigned an inside table away from the windows.   The only things I wasn't thrilled with was that the number going on the cruise was up to 300.  Looking at the picture of the catamaran,  that seems like a lot of people to be on it.  For those that have been on this tour, did the catamaran seem crowded? 

Very crowded.  On the day we went had people on a Tauck land tour to Alaska on board.

2 hours ago, Coral said:

26 Glaciers ship is 2 minutes from the cruise ship. The cruise ship uses this as a shore excursion for their B2B guests. This is a very common activity for those who are embarking the day of the cruise. As someone who has been to Whittier a ton, there is nothing like "cutting it close". There is plenty of time to make it. There are often people on Princess Cruise tours who are also on the boat as part of their cruise tour so those individuals will be embarking the ship also. I am amazed at those who have never been who think this is cutting it close.

To each his own, right? 

I checked a confirmation that shows the boarding time as up to 7:00 pm, So, technically, yes, if the tour returns around 6:30 pm, there is enough time to walk next door to check in.

I.would.never.cut.it.that.close.for.check-in.without.a.guarantee.of.my.making.it.onto.the.ship.

Maybe that's just me, but I have experienced enough boat engine breakdowns, delays in boarding tours because someone showed up late, and what-not to cause us to come back late for a tour. While this tour operator writes that they routinely have cruise ship passengers on this tour, do they guarantee a return back to the ship on time, and if the ship is missed, will they get the guest to the next port?

That's great that you've enjoyed this tour, and it sounds like many, many people have. I wouldn't enjoy worrying about making it back to the ship on time.

16 minutes ago, SCX22 said:

Very crowded.  On the day we went had people on a Tauck land tour to Alaska on board.

If it's a nice day, we will be up top admiring the awesome scenery and taking photos of everything! Of course, we'll probably also be wearing the parkas we will be using on our upcoming Antarctica cruise! 🤣

image.png.3cbf6a91080999316c013af056bb79da.png

One hopeful advantage for us is that our Grand Princess B2B transition day is May 15, so the Alaska tourist season should still be in its early startup phase, especially with those average May temps. So hopefully it won't be that crowded on the tour boat.

A couple of questions. On your cruise did you actually see a lot of wildlife, both in and out of the water, as well as glaciers up close? No sense in going on the tour if we can't take a lot of cool pictures! Also, as you suggested earlier, 6 hours is a long time to be standing, especially if it's only in the 40s. Do your "reserved seats" remain yours throughout the cruise, or do you have to chase people out of your assigned seats if you were issued ones close to or next to a window?

Posted (edited)
37 minutes ago, SKCruiser007 said:

To each his own, right? 

I checked a confirmation that shows the boarding time as up to 7:00 pm, So, technically, yes, if the tour returns around 6:30 pm, there is enough time to walk next door to check in.

I.would.never.cut.it.that.close.for.check-in.without.a.guarantee.of.my.making.it.onto.the.ship.

Maybe that's just me, but I have experienced enough boat engine breakdowns, delays in boarding tours because someone showed up late, and what-not to cause us to come back late for a tour. While this tour operator writes that they routinely have cruise ship passengers on this tour, do they guarantee a return back to the ship on time, and if the ship is missed, will they get the guest to the next port?

That's great that you've enjoyed this tour, and it sounds like many, many people have. I wouldn't enjoy worrying about making it back to the ship on time.

Have you been to Whittier? Do you know how small this port is? Do you realize almost everyone who lives in Whittier lives in one building?

Do you realize that there will be individuals on cruise ship excursions through Princess also on this excursion. Also those on cruise tours through Princess who will be on this boat. These individuals will also be getting on the ship that day. I have cruised out of Whittier many times and many times we are delayed leaving due to people arriving in Anchorage late and on Princess buses.

There is not a risk taking this tour. Princess's next stop after leaving the ship is literally a stone's throw from the pier. 

Some people seem so afraid to venture from a ship or ship's tour that they miss the beauty of traveling. I am glad I am not afraid of things that are not scary.

Edited by Coral
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Coral said:

Do you realize that there will be individuals on cruise ship excursions through Princess also on this excursion. Also those on cruise tours through Princess who will be on this boat. These individuals will also be getting on the ship that day.

This. The 26 glacier boat is next to the cruise ship. There is just one 26 glacier tour per day. There is zero risk of not making the ship. If you book the 26 glacier tour through the train, they will know you are coming for that boat. Seems pretty risk free to me.

• Like 1

Yes,  everyone here is correct...  Princess, the Glacier Cruise, and the railway, are all in this together.  It is all seamless.   

The railway collects your luggage, tagged with your princess tags..  And will make sure it gets onboard.

There is absolutely no issue with a time-crunch, or with a major Port Authority...

Princess will make every effort to insure that everyone is onboard.  

They only have a short way to go to the next day.

NO worries!!!!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

A couple of questions. On your cruise did you actually see a lot of wildlife, both in and out of the water, as well as glaciers up close? No sense in going on the tour if we can't take a lot of cool pictures! Also, as you suggested earlier, 6 hours is a long time to be standing, especially if it's only in the 40s. Do your "reserved seats" remain yours throughout the cruise, or do you have to chase people out of your assigned seats if you were issued ones close to or next to a window?

TBH, I felt like the 26 Glacier Cruise was very redundant.  The glaciers located in College Fjord aren't really that breathtaking.  What sets them apart is that they are named after colleges (if I'm not mistaken Harvard Glacier is the largest) and there a 26 of them right next to each other.  I felt like I got my fair share of viewing them when the Majestic sailed past them before arriving into Whittier.  If this was taking an up close catamaran to Hubbard Glacier or Margerie Glacier, I'd be all in.  Many of those on the land tour and not transiting Princess passengers were awe struck because they hadn't seen the fjord.  Hard to predict wild life.  We saw bears, goats, and otters.  No whales on our 26 Glacier Cruise, but there was a whale sighting in the buffet on the Majestic when we returned from our hike, swimming in Whittier harbor.  To add there is park ranger narration.  On the Majestic, the naturalist narrated.

The catamaran is 3 decks.  Decks 1 and 2 are inside assigned table seating. Deck 3 is the outdoor "Lido" deck where you'll get the best photos.  Lunch is included (salmon chowder when we were on board) and there's a cash bar where you can purchase drinks.  The table you are assigned is the table you will remain for the duration.  We were VIP because of my friend's brother, but according to him, you can pre-select a window table if you book directly with Philips and call their number.  

Whittier isn't known for having the best weather.  We lucked out with sunny weather in the 60s and the locals joked with us that we were invited back.  If it was foggy or rainy, I'm not sure that you would enjoy this tour as much because it would affect visibility.

If you're on a budget and had to choose between the 26 Glacier Cruise and something else (like a  whale watching excursion or a helicopter ride to walk on a glacier), I'd pick the something else.  The 26 Glacier Cruise is a lot of money (2 people on the 26 Glacier Cruise is almost the cruise fare for one person to the Caribbean in an interior!), and I don't think the bang for your buck is there especially if you've already seen it the night before.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
39 minutes ago, SCX22 said:

TBH, I felt like the 26 Glacier Cruise was very redundant.  The glaciers located in College Fjord aren't really that breathtaking.  What sets them apart is that they are named after colleges (if I'm not mistaken Harvard Glacier is the largest) and there a 26 of them right next to each other.  I felt like I got my fair share of viewing them when the Majestic sailed past them before arriving into Whittier.  If this was taking an up close catamaran to Hubbard Glacier or Margerie Glacier, I'd be all in.  Many of those on the land tour and not transiting Princess passengers were awe struck because they hadn't seen the fjord.  Hard to predict wild life.  We saw bears, goats, and otters.  No whales on our 26 Glacier Cruise, but there was a whale sighting in the buffet on the Majestic when we returned from our hike, swimming in Whittier harbor.  To add there is park ranger narration.  On the Majestic, the naturalist narrated.

The catamaran is 3 decks.  Decks 1 and 2 are inside assigned table seating. Deck 3 is the outdoor "Lido" deck where you'll get the best photos.  Lunch is included (salmon chowder when we were on board) and there's a cash bar where you can purchase drinks.  The table you are assigned is the table you will remain for the duration.  We were VIP because of my friend's brother, but according to him, you can pre-select a window table if you book directly with Philips and call their number.  

Whittier isn't known for having the best weather.  We lucked out with sunny weather in the 60s and the locals joked with us that we were invited back.  If it was foggy or rainy, I'm not sure that you would enjoy this tour as much because it would affect visibility.

If you're on a budget and had to choose between the 26 Glacier Cruise and something else (like a  whale watching excursion or a helicopter ride to walk on a glacier), I'd pick the something else.  The 26 Glacier Cruise is a lot of money (2 people on the 26 Glacier Cruise is almost the cruise fare for one person to the Caribbean in an interior!), and I don't think the bang for your buck is there especially if you've already seen it the night before.

Thanks for taking the time to provide so much detail. We have also went back and reread you earlier post providing a hiking alternative. Since we are on the B2B and will have already seen the College Fjords, we’re now thinking we’ll go for the hike if the weather agrees, or we’ll see what other options there are if the weather isn’t so nice. Who knows, maybe we’ll just sleep in that day! 😂

Edited by Ken the cruiser