Celebrity Solstice vs Edge to Hawaii

tcbnurse77

42 minutes ago, Lastdance said:

I will definitely be ready for the cold and food fiasco if it shows its awful side in Hawaii while in port, or maybe it will be cancelled.

31 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

You may be in luck with Hawaii especially if they do it on a port night. 

We did a Dinner on the Edge when we overnighted at Bermuda.  It was wonderful.  😋

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Lastdance said:

I am still in the process of finding what this compensation will be, if any at all.  The itinerary has been tweaked, but so far that’s it...so port charges for missing Lahaina?  Extra OBC?  My TA is working on this, but so far...nothing.  

Debfed65...Update from my TA regarding missing port(Lahaina)during cruise:  Celebrity is not refunding any port fees due to overnight on the big island adding to the port fee; additionally, no OBC due to a natural disaster and cruise contract.  Well, that’s the final word...it is what it is!  

Edited by Lastdance
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, mauimary said:

Why? 

We prefer smaller ships, shorter lines, and real balconies to name just a few.  E does not have a sky lounge.  Feels more like a floating mall than a ship…

Reviewed a few recent vlogs of Solstice class ships to get a full idea of the brand, only to learn they are dirty and quite worn and dated.

The yesteryear look is definitely nostalgic, though not for me.

Looking at the pricing, no wonder the older ships may sell well.

I would think Celebrity places their better staff on their newest class of ship. I've had excellent stateroom experiences and service on their Edge class ships.

Thank you so much to everyone for the responses. We really appreciate it. We decided to book the Edge for May 2025 and just hope we didn’t choose wrong. lol. 😂  It’s so easy to second guess ourselves. The Solstice sounds great though, so we might just have to plan another cruise on that one to experience it too! My husband prefers a newer ship and the Edge theater seems impressive to me. We were also able to schedule a set dining time so hopefully we can still have the more traditional and personal feel in the dining room. We really enjoy getting to know the wait staff. I’ve heard mixed thoughts about the infinite veranda but it looks like something we might like (just to be able to look out at the scenery from our room as it doesn’t seem there’s as much deck space on the newer ships to do that). We’ve had a balcony before on another ship and didn’t use it much due to the weather making it hard to sit outside. 

Additional question for the Edge- if you could only choose 1 specialty restaurant on the ship which would it be?

2 hours ago, buncosquad said:

Reviewed a few recent vlogs of Solstice class ships to get a full idea of the brand, only to learn they are dirty and quite worn and dated.

I would think Celebrity places their better staff on their newest class of ship. I've had excellent stateroom experiences and service on their Edge class ships.

We just got off the Eclipse a few weeks ago. It is definitely not dirty.  Staff were  out cleaning constantly and polishing.  Tables were rapidly cleaned in Oceanview and out on the veranda behind the Oceanview.  It was not worn or shabby either.  Yes in places the carpets were a little more worn in the hallways but by no means threadbare.  We have done 5 cruises on the Eclipse this past year.  
We have also recently been on the Solstice.  Twice in Alaska.   It was very clean and well polished and cared for.  Furniture was not worn. 

Staff on both were excellent. Very friendly helpful and took pride in their jobs.  Our Stateroom attendants in both maintained our rooms beautifully.   We WERE NOT in a suite either. We have been very impressed with staff on both. 

Maybe they place one of their top top cruise directors on the newest ASCENT. Even he was moved over from the BEYOND 

Please don’t take as an example of the brand by what you read from a few blogs. Those are obviously disenchanted folks who are probably not happy on anything they are on. They will go out of their way to put the ship down.  
If what you want is new and shiny and bigger you should choose the E you probably will be happier. But there is plenty of negative there too. 

We have cruised several times on the Beyond. Yes she’s new and shiny and had a fun staff. We actually met several who were on their first contract. They do not place their better staff on the E. In order for any of them to survive they need good ratings and reviews otherwise they are gone. Capt Kate even said she did not have anything to do with picking the staff. 

Posted (edited)
47 minutes ago, mauimary said:

We just got off the Eclipse a few weeks ago. It is definitely not dirty.  Staff were  out cleaning constantly and polishing.  Tables were rapidly cleaned in Oceanview and out on the veranda behind the Oceanview.  It was not worn or shabby either.  Yes in places the carpets were a little more worn in the hallways but by no means threadbare.  We have done 5 cruises on the Eclipse this past year.  
We have also recently been on the Solstice.  Twice in Alaska.   It was very clean and well polished and cared for.  Furniture was not worn. 

Staff on both were excellent. Very friendly helpful and took pride in their jobs.  Our Stateroom attendants in both maintained our rooms beautifully.   We WERE NOT in a suite either. We have been very impressed with staff on both. 

Maybe they place one of their top top cruise directors on the newest ASCENT. Even he was moved over from the BEYOND 

Please don’t take as an example of the brand by what you read from a few blogs. Those are obviously disenchanted folks who are probably not happy on anything they are on. They will go out of their way to put the ship down.  
If what you want is new and shiny and bigger you should choose the E you probably will be happier. But there is plenty of negative there too. 

We have cruised several times on the Beyond. Yes she’s new and shiny and had a fun staff. We actually met several who were on their first contract. They do not place their better staff on the E. In order for any of them to survive they need good ratings and reviews otherwise they are gone. Capt Kate even said she did not have anything to do with picking the staff. 

The latest vlog I've watched came out in the past half day and details an Equinox stateroom, and it is nasty with what is shown and described.

I'm sure there must be better areas on the ship, but this is a depiction that is quite gross.

Not even remotely my experience on their newest ships.

Edited by buncosquad

1 hour ago, buncosquad said:

The latest vlog I've watched came out in the past half day and details an Equinox stateroom, and it is nasty with what is shown and described.

I'm sure there must be better areas on the ship, but this is a depiction that is quite gross.

Not even remotely my experience on their newest ships.

I’m  not sure what a vlog is but I know what a blog is.  Is this some kind of utube video?  One  room on one ship is certainly not a statement of what is found company wide.  Of course that would not be anybody’s  experience on a newer ship. The Equinox is a 15 yr old ship. 

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, mauimary said:

I’m  not sure what a vlog is but I know what a blog is.  Is this some kind of utube video?  One  room on one ship is certainly not a statement of what is found company wide.  Of course that would not be anybody’s  experience on a newer ship. The Equinox is a 15 yr old ship. 

While I agree with you, that was partly my point. That ship is old (compared to what is state-of-the-art today).

Just my opinion, but the colors and decor make that ship look woefully outdated (or nostalgic).

Yes, on the video site you noted.

Edited by buncosquad

Just now, buncosquad said:

While I agree with you, that was partly my point. That ship is old (compared to what is state-of-the-art today).

Yes, on the video site you noted.

I went on a little hunt to find your video. I agree that room was a little gross. Luckily it has not been our experience.  What was interesting was the four bottles of wine they managed to get by security!  

9 hours ago, buncosquad said:

You mention vlogs (plural) yet you later refer to one.

In any of the vlogs or blogs that we’ve seen recently there’s never a mention of Celebrity being dirty or tired.

20 hours ago, buncosquad said:

Have you sailed on a S or M class ship?

1 hour ago, billc23 said:

Have you sailed on a S or M class ship?

I make the point that I have not, but I haven't walked through a fire, either.

Plenty of pictures, videos and reviews across the internet that give great depictions and comparisons to Edge class.

I don't need to walk through a fire to know a lot about it.

I don't need to step foot on old(er) ships to know a lot about them.

3 minutes ago, buncosquad said:

Plenty of pictures, videos and reviews across the internet that give great depictions and comparisons to Edge class.

Interesting perspective on choice and preference. I am sure you are correct on this and I will need to amend my ways on how I decide what I enjoy. 

On 1/2/2024 at 7:18 PM, maggieq said:

I’ve noticed that Maui is not on the celebrity itineraries but it is for rccl.    Anyone know the reason behind that?  Thanks!

Anyone?

On 1/2/2024 at 6:48 PM, Jim_Iain said:

We will be taking Solstice B2B Sydney to Vancouver in about 3 months so stay tuned.    Really interested to see if the issue is confined to Edge or whether it is the New Celebrity.

We have sailed on the Solstice many times. Honolulu to Sydney twice. Loved Luminae and their attention to detail. They would bring my husband his favorite soup when it wasn't on the menu. The staff - anticipated our needs so we hardly ever had to ask for anything.  The host in the Retreat Lounge was outstanding (sailed on Solstice in October)!!  I can't remember her name.  The staff bent over backwards to make us happy and we are very easy going. Hopefully you will experience the same. Patrick the cruise director is awesome. Crew members change..... Solstice is our favorite ship - the Millennium is our favorite ship for the entertainment. We haven't tried the newer E class ships - I don't think its our "cup of tea". Sailed the Equinox in November - it was good but the vibe on Solstice is so much better.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, buncosquad said:

Its sounds like your mind is made up. That’s why there are many classes to choose from.  There really is no comparison as they are different classes and different sizes and of course different ages. 

What’s interesting is that there is now a number of frequent cruises on here who are going back to the Solstice Class having had their fill of the E class.   

Edited by mauimary

3 hours ago, JLMcruise said:

We have sailed on the Solstice many times. Honolulu to Sydney twice. Loved Luminae and their attention to detail. They would bring my husband his favorite soup when it wasn't on the menu. The staff - anticipated our needs so we hardly ever had to ask for anything.  The host in the Retreat Lounge was outstanding (sailed on Solstice in October)!!  I can't remember her name.  The staff bent over backwards to make us happy and we are very easy going. Hopefully you will experience the same. Patrick the cruise director is awesome. Crew members change..... Solstice is our favorite ship - the Millennium is our favorite ship for the entertainment. We haven't tried the newer E class ships - I don't think its our "cup of tea". Sailed the Equinox in November - it was good but the vibe on Solstice is so much better.

Thanks.... we have been on Equinox... would have to look up how many times.   We were last on her a year ago for a B2B on the Pacific Coast and really enjoyed her.    While many people don't like that she hasn't been revolutionized, we rather like it.    We are not into sun bathing so the forward deck really doesn't matter.   I actually like it better as on my 10 mile walk, on S-Class ship I wall full forward up the steps --- around the front - down the steps full aft -  Up around the Sunset bar and back around.   With revolutionized ships I have to use my card to open the gate on each lap. 

I also like the dark paneled Michael's Club.     Can't wait.

• Like 1