Celebrity Solstice vs Edge to Hawaii

tcbnurse77

Hello, 

We are planning a trip for our 20 year anniversary to Hawaii in 2025. We are trying to decide between the specific ships Celebrity Solstice vs Celebrity Edge. The things that are most important to us are comfortable soft beds, great food (food that’s included- not just at specialty restaurants- though we will possibly try some of those too), and lots of fun entertainment (we love comedy shows and theater shows). We’ve recently discovered also that we enjoy having a scheduled dining time so that we can get to know our wait staff. It’s seems much more personable and elevates the dining experience for us. We really missed that when we just sailed with NCL. Also trying to decide between May and September. Any personal experience or advice would be appreciated. 

Thank you 

Only had 1 bad bed in 42 Celebrity cruises and that’s quickly fixed by the cabin attendant adding a topper.

We have cruised on both ships many times.  For included food options, entertainment options and the theater the Edge offers more.  
They do not however have scheduled set dining times.  There are 4 MDRs but if you want the same staff every evening you can go to the same dining room, at the same time each evening and asked to be seated in the same section.  

The Solstice is a more traditional style ship with traditional cabins.  If you are looking for a cabin with a traditional balcony there are very few of those on the Edge.  The only categories with a true balcony are Suites, Sunset Verandas and Porthole Verandas, all other cabins are Infinity Verandas.  Some hate the IVs, some love them.

• Like 1

We have been on both. We love the Solstice. We have done anytime dining on both but mostly show up the same time and once the hostess gets to know us we are seated many times at the same table.  We have cruised in the SV veranda last time we did a transpacific and loved it. We really love this class of ship. 

On the Edge we have booked early enough to score a Sunset veranda.  We also did a transatlantic last May in an IV stateroom and found we really liked it for the extra space in the stateroom.  We will be on the Edge transpacific to Australia this Oct. Since we wanted to continue on to New Zealand we chose the Edge to stay on the same ship. 

We’ve done this sailing on the Solstice a few times and love the ship. We always enjoyed the anytime dining and you can reserve online for a particular time if you like. Also enjoy the true balconies on the S class ships vs the so called infinite balconies. I was on the Edge in 2020 and did enjoy the ship but not our infinite balconies room. If I did go again, I would have to book a sunset veranda to get a true balcony. 

Posted (edited)

The weather is something that only Mother Nature knows, so you take your chances. I have been in Hawaii during November where it rained almost every day, but that was on Kauai. Additionally, I have a Hawaiian cruise booked on Edge for this May that begins in Honolulu and ends in Vancouver.  The E-class ships are my new favorite due to the Retreat areas available.  We have also been on Edge before, so very familiar with the layout.  We were returning from AUS/NZ originally, but canceled due to the high cost of airfare, so carried everything over to our Hawaii booking.  Lahaina was a big draw for us, as we have been there before several times.  Even though it was canceled due to the fire, Celebrity did make other changes to compensate, so not an issue for us.  I would do columns of pros and cons, but if you haven’t been on E-class, you might want to give it a try.  Food is always subjective, but it is possible to have the same waitstaff on either ship, whether in Retreat or not.  Like many have mentioned above, the cabin/suite may make the difference for you...good luck!

Edited by Lastdance

2 hours ago, Lastdance said:

The weather is something that only Mother Nature knows, so you take your chances. I have been in Hawaii during November where it rained almost every day, but that was on Kauai. Additionally, I have a Hawaiian cruise booked on Edge for this May that begins in Honolulu and ends in Vancouver.  The E-class ships are my new favorite due to the Retreat areas available.  We have also been on Edge before, so very familiar with the layout.  We were returning from AUS/NZ originally, but canceled due to the high cost of airfare, so carried everything over to our Hawaii booking.  Lahaina was a big draw for us, as we have been there before several times.  Even though it was canceled due to the fire, Celebrity did make other changes to compensate, so not an issue for us.  I would do columns of pros and cons, but if you haven’t been on E-class, you might want to give it a try.  Food is always subjective, but it is possible to have the same waitstaff on either ship, whether in Retreat or not.  Like many have mentioned above, the cabin/suite may make the difference for you...good luck!

Hello Lastdance,

This is totally off topic from the original post, but I am curious what changes Celebrity did to compensate for the cancellation of Lahaina because of the devastation?  We are booked on the TP from Sydney to Hawaii on the Edge this April, and nothing has been offered to compensate for the dropped port.  We simply have another day at sea...there has been an entire thread regarding this on CC.  

Can you please let us know what they offered to you because of the itinerary change?

Thanking you in advance.

• Thanks 1

I know many really love the Edge class ships but after spending a month on Edge last month we will probably never travel on Edge again.   It may have just been our Cruise but in Luminae the food quality, preparation and attention to detail was just a total let down. 

Many Fish and Poultry dishes were grossly overcooked.   Many Entrees were on piping hot plates but the protein was warm to cold inside. We received at least 3 meals where a component was missing from the dish.

We will be taking Solstice B2B Sydney to Vancouver in about 3 months so stay tuned.    Really interested to see if the issue is confined to Edge or whether it is the New Celebrity.

I'm sure many will disagree with me but that was our experience.    It is also one of the reason I've been shopping on Oceania today.

• Like 3

Done both ships in various classes and the Solstice is our favourite.

If you enjoy the entertainment then the Cruise Director, Patrick on Solstice, would seal the deal for us.

We’re not normally into the activities on board but this guy was everywhere to be seen and had an energy and elegance about him.

His TV show in the morning was polished and even writing this makes me smile!

PS The only other CD I’d mention is Sue Denning. Amazing

IMG_2913.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If you are booking in the Retreat, I say Solstice every time. I know, so many are enamored with the E class ships and only want to sail on new ships. I have read many posts that say you need to be  on an E class ship to experience the Retreat. I beg to differ...For me the Edge fails in the Retreat compared to the Solstice concerning: comfortable furniture, state room layout, Retreat lounge, Luminae, and specialty restaurants. The first few days the Edge seems great because of the newness and glitter - very beautiful. Then the persistent noise level in the restaurants, the uncomfortable seating all around the ship, and the lack of attention compared to the S class ship becomes apparent. Crew, who I have known from other ships, have told me they do not get to know their fellow crew mates after months onboard! Luminae is just another banquet style restaurant, too many people to serve in a short time frame, so they do not cook the meal for you. The Retreat lounge is not inviting like Michaels Club is as far as an easy way to socialize with fellow passengers or interact with staff. 

If you are not considering the Retreat perhaps the E class is preferred - I don't know. Maybe the SV rooms on E class hit the sweet spot. 

1 hour ago, billc23 said:

If you are booking in the Retreat, I say Solstice every time. I know, so many are enamored with the E class ships and only want to sail on new ships. I have read many posts that say you need to be  on an E class ship to experience the Retreat. I beg to differ...For me the Edge fails in the Retreat compared to the Solstice concerning: comfortable furniture, state room layout, Retreat lounge, Luminae, and specialty restaurants. The first few days the Edge seems great because of the newness and glitter - very beautiful. Then the persistent noise level in the restaurants, the uncomfortable seating all around the ship, and the lack of attention compared to the S class ship becomes apparent. Crew, who I have known from other ships, have told me they do not get to know their fellow crew mates after months onboard! Luminae is just another banquet style restaurant, too many people to serve in a short time frame, so they do not cook the meal for you. The Retreat lounge is not inviting like Michaels Club is as far as an easy way to socialize with fellow passengers or interact with staff. 

If you are not considering the Retreat perhaps the E class is preferred - I don't know. Maybe the SV rooms on E class hit the sweet spot. 

Has the Solstice been revolutionised or will it be before the OP’s cruise in 2025?

We love the Solstice.  We have  mostly  been in a regular stateroom. Always a veranda. We have only been in the retreat once and that was because we took our two grandchildren with us.  Agree it was very nice.  Since we normally cruise in a regular stateroom we still have a wonderful time. We love the Ensemble Lounge with its traditional wood paneling for enjoying the music and drinks in its comfortable furniture. We usually dine in the dining room at the same table in My Time Dining.  We have found the food to be very good. Never have not found something we like. Love Al Bacio. But we love the most is the staff. 

As far as the Edge Class you can’t beat tendering from the Magic Carpet. So much easier. 

Posted (edited)
23 hours ago, debfed65 said:

Hello Lastdance,

This is totally off topic from the original post, but I am curious what changes Celebrity did to compensate for the cancellation of Lahaina because of the devastation?  We are booked on the TP from Sydney to Hawaii on the Edge this April, and nothing has been offered to compensate for the dropped port.  We simply have another day at sea...there has been an entire thread regarding this on CC.  

Can you please let us know what they offered to you because of the itinerary change?  

Thanking you in advance.

I am still in the process of finding what this compensation will be, if any at all.  The itinerary has been tweaked, but so far that’s it...so port charges for missing Lahaina?  Extra OBC?  My TA is working on this, but so far...nothing.  

Edited by Lastdance

20 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

I know many really love the Edge class ships but after spending a month on Edge last month we will probably never travel on Edge again.   It may have just been our Cruise but in Luminae the food quality, preparation and attention to detail was just a total let down. 

Many Fish and Poultry dishes were grossly overcooked.   Many Entrees were on piping hot plates but the protein was warm to cold inside. We received at least 3 meals where a component was missing from the dish.

We will be taking Solstice B2B Sydney to Vancouver in about 3 months so stay tuned.    Really interested to see if the issue is confined to Edge or whether it is the New Celebrity.

I'm sure many will disagree with me but that was our experience.    It is also one of the reason I've been shopping on Oceania today.

We were on Beyond and experienced a decline in Luminae...choices were so limited and nothing really special at all during our 10 night cruise.  For our Edge cruise in Hawaii, I have booked several specialty restaurants including the Magic Carpet to off-set all of this, but again, it may or may not help.  It seems like all the emphasis is on Ascent!!!   

We have booked Oceania!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, swjumbo said:

Has the Solstice been revolutionised or will it be before the OP’s cruise in 2025?

Solstice has not been revolutionized nor will there be any revolution in the foreseeable future.  She does not have the sundeck and Michael's Club is the original wood paneling etc. 

I have to agree with many of the other comments about e-Class.   For me it is like an airport lounge and a impersonal.    

One of the real failures of the E-Class are they did not use walls and the specialty restaurants - Fine Cut (overlooking the Martini Bar), Raw on 5, Eden and Bistro as well as Blu are all open and the noise is not what I would expect for enjoyable dining. 

Give me Murano and Tuscan anytime ----- far better experience even if you do not have as many choices.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Lastdance said:

We were on Beyond and experienced a decline in Luminae...choices were so limited and nothing really special at all during our 10 night cruise.  For our Edge cruise in Hawaii, I have booked several specialty restaurants including the Magic Carpet to off-set all of this, but again, it may or may not help.  It seems like all the emphasis is on Ascent!!!   

We have booked Oceania!

Good luck with Magic Carpet.    We were on Edge for most of the month of December and the dinner was a disaster (per one of the servers).   Things were flying everywhere due to the high winds.    On the second cruse in New Zealand they had everyone bundled in blankets.

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Good luck with Magic Carpet.    We were on Edge for most of the month of December and the dinner was a disaster (per one of the servers).   Things were flying everywhere due to the high winds.    On the second cruse in New Zealand they had everyone bundled in blankets.

Thank goodness it is just my OBC and not my own personal $$$!  NZ is like that!  On our hike into Milford Sound, there was an avalanche that scared me to death, causing me to run; however, I went in the wrong direction and sprained my ankle as the wind knocked me down...it all came out of nowhere!  I will definitely be ready for the cold and food fiasco if it shows its awful side in Hawaii while in port, or maybe it will be cancelled.

Edited by Lastdance

9 minutes ago, Lastdance said:

Thank goodness it is just my OBC and not my own personal $$$!  NZ is like that!  On our hike into Milford Sound, there was an avalanche that scared me to death, causing me to run; however, I went in the wrong direction and sprained my ankle as the wind knocked me down...it all came out of nowhere!  I will definitely be ready for the cold and food fiasco if it shows its awful side in Hawaii while in port, or maybe it will be cancelled.

You may be in luck with Hawaii especially if they do it on a port night.    We were on a TA & British Isle cruise and they moved it inside an setup tables around they indoor Aqua Sqa.      Personally I would not have accepted the change --- having a nice dinner with the chlorine smell would have really turned me off.

• Thanks 1