LIVE-Prima Feb 2-9, 2024 from Galveston-Western Caribbean with PICs, Haven (HE)

2 hours ago, wolft927 said:

Alright, so I am wondering where we are getting the total lifeboat capacity number from? Can anyone assist?

There’s a formula out there somewhere.  I don’t know if he still posts here but there was a fellow who was someone I believe an engineer on a cruise ship who posted technical details in these theads!  He quoted it, but it‘s been a while ago.

• Like 1

Sauntered off the ship.  Been to all these ports before.  Didn’t go far…just off in the port area.

Unique trip.  Never was at any of these ports unless it was blazing hot.

Right now it’s in the 70s with a breeze. Not what I would consider swimming weather but really pleasant enough to get out and look around comfortably!

IMG_2812.jpeg

Edited by graphicguy
  • Like 5

38 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

There’s a formula out there somewhere.  I don’t know if he still posts here but there was a fellow who was someone I believe an engineer on a cruise ship who posted technical details in these theads!  He quoted it, but it‘s been a while ago.

Ok, I worked onboard Cruise ships for years, and was wondering if they are also putting into fact the Life rafts and not just the lifeboats. 90% of the crew will be assigned a life raft not a lifeboat. 

Dan ... nice & sunny, excellent day to be docked and a short walk ashore ... I see local musicians/band on the pier welcoming the Prima.  How's that swollen ankle, etc. - feel better ... staying onboard to enjoy the ship ? 

Onboard every NCL ship, management has a printed, updated guide distributed & given to all crew members onboard, and it contains detailed & specific info about life boats, tender boats, rescue boats, and inflatable life rafts (for crews use) plus counts on number of adult & children's life vests, firefighting info, etc. - very detailed ... info that's not easily available anywhere else, online & otherwise (Co-pilot, Bart, Siri and Alexa, and other AI search engines, etc. all came up empty)   That info isn't given out at the CC M&G either, a good CC friend of ours were onboard the Getaway, he asked & they provided him with a printed one to bring back ... and it's okay to post/share here (knowing it's CC) - came from the Access Officers/Group & Special Events Coordinators (which handled CC's M&G events, etc.) 

Put a call to him/her onboard and they should be able to get you the particulars for the Prima ... show them the ones from the Getaway (Nov 2023's updated ... on a different page, it listed the sailings & ports of calls for all other NCL ships) - "talking points" or "cheat sheets) in case someone asked.   FAQ - including # of connection cabins and ADA ones ...  Too bad that Alvin is on vacation as he's usually good with getting back info, he did an excellent powerpoint presentation on cruise ship ops on the Joy in the atrium lobby with the projection TV.  CruiseNext manager/team also have it as should Haven concierge/butler ... 

As an example, max. life-boats/life-rafts capacity is 8,300+ and 13,000 life vests on the Getaway.  These little known details are fun for "The Price is Right" live onboard, haha.  Sorry for diverting from the lively trip report ... let's see more food pix later.  

NCLGetawayFAQFacts1.jpeg.5605b988414750a

Edited by mking8288
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, wolft927 said:

Ok, I worked onboard Cruise ships for years, and was wondering if they are also putting into fact the Life rafts and not just the lifeboats. 90% of the crew will be assigned a life raft not a lifeboat. 

I think that was part of the formula.  Raft vs lifeboat and who went in what and how many!

The Encore is a 4,000 passenger ship for NCL, their biggest  Breakaway Plus.  Prima is the newest class of ship by NCL, but is smaller.

Here’s how they stack up…

https://cruisespotlight.com/compare/norwegian-encore-vs-norwegian-prima/

Edited by graphicguy

The other point of note, there aren’t big stores in a large area where they set up cheap” gold by the inch” and scarves and watches of questionable origin.  Stores, and art display are all much smaller and much more subdued!

IMG_2806.jpeg

IMG_2809.jpeg

IMG_2807.jpeg

IMG_2810.jpeg

• Like 4

One of the reasons I can utilize only carryons when going on a cruise is the fact I pack lightly and have my laundry done half way through the cruise.  So, even though I pack light, I always have clean clothes!  

NCL does a great job!

IMG_2816.jpeg

IMG_2815.jpeg

• Like 9

17 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

One of the reasons I can utilize only carryons when going on a cruise is the fact I pack lightly and have my laundry done half way through the cruise.  So, even though I pack light, I always have clean clothes!  

NCL does a great job!

Have fun picking those little tags off your clothes.

I'm glad you're enjoying your cruise even with your mishap. When we were on the Epic last year I was recovering from foot surgery and still in a decent amount of pain. We didn't spend a lot of time wandering around the ship (so grateful for the Epic's awesome Haven). I found out when we returned that one of the screws in my foot didn't like where it had been placed and was floating around my foot -- I literally had a screw loose.

We are in the Viva Haven at the end of the month. Can you let me know where the "secret" Haven staircases are? We're on Deck 15 and if we just want to go up to the restaurant there might be times when we don't want to use the elevator.

Enjoy the rest of the cruise!

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, graphicguy said:

The other point of note, there aren’t big stores in a large area where they set up cheap” gold by the inch” and scarves and watches of questionable origin.  Stores, and art display are all much smaller and much more subdued!

IMG_2806.jpeg

IMG_2809.jpeg

IMG_2807.jpeg

IMG_2810.jpeg

That hallway on Deck 7 on the Prima and Viva was blindingly bright for my eyes so I always wore sunglasses when I walked through looking like Bono or Lenny Kravitz but not as cool.

• Haha 6

38 minutes ago, brookie848 said:

I'm glad you're enjoying your cruise even with your mishap. When we were on the Epic last year I was recovering from foot surgery and still in a decent amount of pain. We didn't spend a lot of time wandering around the ship (so grateful for the Epic's awesome Haven). I found out when we returned that one of the screws in my foot didn't like where it had been placed and was floating around my foot -- I literally had a screw loose.

We are in the Viva Haven at the end of the month. Can you let me know where the "secret" Haven staircases are? We're on Deck 15 and if we just want to go up to the restaurant there might be times when we don't want to use the elevator.

Hmmm…didn’t know a secret stair way existed.  I’m on deck 13.  I was using the stairs until the “tumble”.  Now, I’m using the elevators.

56 minutes ago, brookie848 said:

I used these stairs a lot!! They're definitely not well known. From the concierge desk, walk past the Haven Restaurant. There will be a hallway to the right. Follow that and a door will lead you to the regular staterooms. Turn right and you'll find the stairs that everyone on the ship has access to. These will get you up and down the decks. Then you'll be able to access the staterooms on deck. 

Below is a bad drawing which might be more helpful than my description above:

From Deck 16 (Haven Lounge area)

image.png.fded041f96e7ace769adafa01a3fcd24.png

If you're staying in room 13310, then just follow the red lines out of the Haven. There's a door where the black lines are that'll allow you to access the elevator foyer:

image.thumb.png.6737e87953fd6209319ff83719b6213a.png

I hope that's helpful! It's not really that difficult. I just found it slightly more difficult to access the stairs than other classes of ships. It was a wee bit annoying, but after a day of doing this, we figured it out and made our way throughout the Haven complex by weaving in and out of public areas and Haven areas. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

I used these stairs a lot!! They're definitely not well known. From the concierge desk, walk past the Haven Restaurant. There will be a hallway to the right. Follow that and a door will lead you to the regular staterooms. Turn right and you'll find the stairs that everyone on the ship has access to. These will get you up and down the decks. Then you'll be able to access the staterooms on deck. 

If you're staying in room 13310, then just follow the red lines out of the Haven. There's a door where the black lines are that'll allow you to access the elevator foyer:

I hope that's helpful! It's not really that difficult. I just found it slightly more difficult to access the stairs than other classes of ships. It was a wee bit annoying, but after a day of doing this, we figured it out and made our way throughout the Haven complex by weaving in and out of public areas and Haven areas. 

Thanks. I'll study this and figure out what is going to be the most logical depending on where we are and where we want to go.

Even thought the sun has been out the past couple of days, I'm ready to go somewhere sunny AND warm. And that's not Upstate NY in February.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

image.png.fded041f96e7ace769adafa01a3fcd24.png

image.thumb.png.6737e87953fd6209319ff83719b6213a.png

Thanks…had no idea!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, brookie848 said:

I found out when we returned that one of the screws in my foot didn't like where it had been placed and was floating around my foot -- I literally had a screw loose.

People say I have the same problem...and I've never had any surgery. Go figure...

• Haha 6

Just now, schmoopie17 said:

People say I have the same problem...and I've never had any surgery. Go figure...

It was (and still is) great fun in my family to say I had a screw loose.

I still have three left in my foot -- and one of them is broken in half. As far as I know they are still in place. I think I got the leftover screws from the bargain bin.

• Haha 2

Secret Haven Door (this isn’t the only unmarked Haven Door….there are others on different decks.  As @cruiseny4life points out, it’s just past the Haven Restaruant in a little hallway to the right.  It looks like this.and brings you out to the stairs and hallway for the elevators…

IMG_2824.jpeg

IMG_2826.jpeg

• Like 6

We will be on the Prima in less than two months for eleven days. Your review and all the information is so helpful and appreciated. And we love your positive outlook! Really enjoying following.

i've been at sea myself, so missed most of this thread as it was being posted. last i checked in, you were still planning and packing! glad the trip is going well (for the most part) and that you're having a great time.

with regard to refunds for the seldom-used vibe, no way! it says right on the receipt "weather permitting" and "no refunds." i just got off the getaway this morning and the vibe was at about half capacity... ten day cruise and i was only able to use the vibe five days, mostly due to stormy weather and the cold leaving and returning from new york. i still felt it was worth it.

On 2/5/2024 at 2:01 PM, graphicguy said:

NCL has their work cut out for themselves educating people about this new (and great) concept.  

the main problem that i see with the tablet ordering in indulge, for luddites and the elderly, is that once they figure out how to order and submit... they haven't actually submitted the order... there is another prompt that comes up asking them to confirm the order... a lot of people miss that! on my prima cruise last year, i pointed that out to several grateful folks who had no idea.

On 2/5/2024 at 3:56 PM, graphicguy said:

I think it was described as Contemporary.

oh, no! are you saying it was built for the eponymous "contemporary cruiser?"

10 hours ago, graphicguy said:

But, you can not have more passengers in total than you have seats in lifeboats 

if only this same principle applied to the indulge food hall!

• Like 2