One entree at the time MDR?

Currently on AD.  One of our neighbors ordered the shrimp main course and asked for a strip steak to create a surf and turf.  They brought both at the same time.  I think that “one entree” crap came and went.  Good riddance.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, RFerrington said:

Currently on AD.  One of our neighbors ordered the shrimp main course and asked for a strip steak to create a surf and turf.  They brought both at the same time.  I think that “one entree” crap came and went.  Good riddance.

I think it's ship dependent. And It's not a bad thing. My son wanted to try two things, they brought him one,..then when he was done with trying that, they brought him the next one. I think if you want to share an extra one, you let them know and they'll accommodate that and bring it out together. 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Mick B said:

Sorry, but I may upset a few here, and it is not my intension, but...

Is not 1 entree more than enough at dinner time?

I think 90% of the complaints about one-entrée-at-a-time are because people want to order the lobster entree and the steak entree together on lobster night. They have been doing it for years to create a surf-and-turf dinner, and now they can't. If RC would make an exception to allow this I believe most complaints about the policy would go away.

• Like 6

Posted (edited)
On 1/2/2024 at 10:36 PM, mcatmcat said:

Hi 

I stopped going with Royal right in the time that they were enforcing the MDR of one entree at a time until you are done with it. 

I was wondering if they still following that rule? 

Didnt stop my Daughter or SIL in Oct. They ordered 2nd as ordered first at least 5-6 nites, no questions. Likely hit/miss Cruise to Cruise

Edited by ONECRUISER

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, SG65CB said:

I think 90% of the complaints about one-entrée-at-a-time are because people want to order the lobster entree and the steak entree together on lobster night. They have been doing it for years to create a surf-and-turf dinner, and now they can't. If RC would make an exception to allow this I believe most complaints about the policy would go away.

It's funny - pre=Covid and before my allergies, I would ask for the vegan entree but with a fish filet on top (I'm a huge fan of veg and fish).  Half the time, I got one plate exactly as requested...half the time, I got both entree plates in full delivered together (and then wasted the sides from the fish, b/c I didn't want them - thus why I ordered the vegan entree as the base)...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 2

To the OP's original question.....

We were on the Adventure a month ago.  They still enforce the "one entrée at a time" rule. 

(At least the waiter we had enforced it)

I tried to create the "surf and turf" on lobster night and had to finish one before the second would be served.  And I did mention I wanted to do a surf and turf.  No go.  

On 1/2/2024 at 9:36 PM, mcatmcat said:

Hi 

I stopped going with Royal right in the time that they were enforcing the MDR of one entree at a time until you are done with it. 

I was wondering if they still following that rule? 

I'm going to skip to an immediate post on this:

If I want a second entree, I ask for it "appetizer sized" and on the same plate with my first one.  Then you get what you want at the same time.

(Sorry if this is a duplicate)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, allie3490 said:

You stopped cruising with Royal cause you couldn't shovel in multiple entrees into your gut? Makes sense

Actually as a diamond member who is a cruise away for diamond plus the one entree was not the main reason I stopped sailing with royal.

As a stock holder I like like the company but I rather sail with celebrity, way better food and service is amazing. 

• Like 2

I cruise with my wife and 2 kids. My kids like to just eat the appetizers and order multiples of those. 

I, on the other hand, like to try multiple entrees. So, I get the kids' entrees and everyone is happy including Royal...

First cruise was more than 30 years ago.

Have been told by a couple wait staff over the years, if you see more than one entree, order both.

Also here in Cincy the TAs used to hold “Specials” like sales sessions at hotels, and more than once had some regional sales director of RCL or other lines.  I remember them encouraging the same, order multiple entrees, one said it’s a great way to try new foods.

I personally have ordered more than one entree a half dozen times over those 30 years, but I have done it and wouldn’t feel like it was wasteful, it was promoted as an incentive to cruise.

Eddie

• Like 1

On 1/3/2024 at 8:32 AM, Mick B said:

To be honest, my comment was never intended to dictate how anyone should eat, and in the MDR things are not as bad as elsewhere.

I liked that you used the word "peckish."   Never hear that in Mississippi.  May have to try it.

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
On 1/3/2024 at 5:22 AM, Mick B said:

Sorry, but I may upset a few here, and it is not my intension, but...

Is not 1 entree more than enough at dinner time?

Are there not enough places around the ship during the day/early evening where you can get some food/nibbles if still a bit peckish?

I have witnessed so many people, so many timers ordering food and then either not eating all of it because the main course came out before they could finish all the entrees they had ordered.

Food wastage on board a cruise ship is one of things that helps the prices to go up, yet it is something that we can help to avoid if we are careful.

Given that the cruise line seems to gearing to get you in and out in 90 minutes (possibly to give your seats to My Time Dinning guest) surely, 1 entree is all your going to have time for if you are going to have an enjoyable 3 course meal plus a coffee etc before having to make a mad dash to the other end of the ship to get a decent seat for the show etc.

Mick.

I order two on one specific night. The night they have the pesto tagliatelle and the Garlic shrimp. There is little/no protein in the pasta dish, and the 5 or 6 shrimp go well with it. That is technically two entrees, so yeah... 1 is not enough. I do request them together, and they have never not accommodated.

Edited by Mikew0805
  • Like 2

On 1/4/2024 at 8:42 AM, allie3490 said:

You stopped cruising with Royal cause you couldn't shovel in multiple entrees into your gut? Makes sense

The entrees are small portions. A hungry person can eat more than one, and without the unflattering imagery you use. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

On 1/4/2024 at 3:44 AM, SG65CB said:

They have been doing it for years to create a surf-and-turf dinner, and now they can't. If RC would make an exception to allow this I believe most complaints about the policy would go away.

Put a $5 bill in your hand and shake the waiters hand.  You will get both !

• Haha 1

On 1/3/2024 at 2:54 PM, Newcruiser215 said:

Do people also order multiple entrees when they go to restaurants? 

Not that I know of, but in their defense, on cruise ships the portion is much smaller than a restaurant, if it was restaurant size there would be a ton of waste as you have no where to store all those leftovers. I appreciate the smaller size as it's just right with the appetizer and desert, I can't do appetizer of desert when we eat out at a restaurant.

• Like 3