Fishing excursions in Alaska, tell me all about it!

torybruno

We have 3 guys in our group that would like to do a fishing excursion while in Alaska.  We are cruising the week of June 23, not sure what fish they are catching at that time, the guys are pretty open as far as  kind of fish they are fishing for.   They would like to do this in Seward before boarding, or in Juneau or Ketchikan, private or ship excursion.  I can’t wait to hear your fishing stories!

thank you!

In Seward, there are several fishing charter places near the Major Marine and Kenai Fjords stores.  Also, you can arrange a trip with a local at the hardware store across the street.  Ask at the register. You can get your fishing license there.

We have been to Seward in June several times, and DH caught loads of fish. ( Not sure what kind, but I do remember that one time a woman was in the lead for the halibut derby that was going on.😊)  If the prices of the fishing charters are too high, you can also fish from shore right in town.

In Juneau, try Bear Creek Outfitters if you want a pricey, but once in a lifetime floatplane trip to a stream for fly fishing. ( photo below- Dolly Varden, not salmon, I was told. LOL)

In Ketchikan, both Princess and HAL offered an excursion called Fishing and Wilderness Dining or something similar. You catch whatever, and then they cook your catch for lunch, along with bread and blueberry cobbler. (Rockfish was the catch of the day). I didn’t go along, but DH  had fun and did that excursion several times.

If you do book a trip through the cruise line, be sure to ask if you will have your own rod or if you have to take turns. 

IMG_0530.jpeg

IMG_0531.jpeg

• Like 1

Another thing to consider when fishing up there is if you wish to keep the fish for home, it is expensive to have the fish processed and shipped home. Also ocean charter prices have gone up considerably.

• 3 months later...

Are you interested in Fly Fishing? I was just about to post a question about fly fishing in Skagway or Ketchikan in July. Looking for recommendations and feedback on guides, such as Fly Guides in Haines/Skagway and Family Air & Hook Up Fly Shop in Ketchikan. 

On 1/4/2024 at 5:16 PM, torybruno said:

We have 3 guys in our group that would like to do a fishing excursion while in Alaska.  We are cruising the week of June 23, not sure what fish they are catching at that time, the guys are pretty open as far as  kind of fish they are fishing for.   They would like to do this in Seward before boarding, or in Juneau or Ketchikan, private or ship excursion.  I can’t wait to hear your fishing stories!

thank you!

I have been fishing in Alaska for close to 25 years and can tell you some fishing stories including 2 bear encounters , one of which made newspaper headlines !

• Like 1