Thumbs Down on HAL Customer Service

Posted (edited)
On 1/4/2024 at 4:13 PM, WVU_Neal said:

Fast forward to January 3. Called the HAL customer service number. After a few minutes on hold, I ended talking with a reservations agent. After a bit of back and forth and some rudeness from said agent, she offered to connect me with customer service and would wait until that happened. After 55 minutes wait, I hung up.

Try this number: 1-888-663-5384.   Reservations Accounting.

Monday-Friday 7:00 am-5:00 pm Pacific time 

and/or email them at reservation_accounting@hollandamerica.com  

Good luck ! If the $11 is important to you, it should be important to them. 

Edited by Boatdrill
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Fouremco said:

There are a number of possibles charges that can't be added to your account until after you have left the ship. For example, the restocking of your mini-fridge generally takes place after you have vacated your cabin on the final morning, and you might be well on your way to the airport before the charge for that bottle of beer you drank last night hits your account.

The minibar has always been the culprit for us, and in 35 cruises, we've never once partaken!

With the advent of drink packages, there have been times when we've left MORE items (beer, soda, waters) in the minibar than were there originally, aaaaand still got dinged. 😲

@WVU_Neal  My DH graduated WVU in '72 and was/still is a Sigma Nu!

• Like 2

On 1/4/2024 at 8:09 PM, horseymike said:

I used to have luck contacting the HAL folks in Seattle, but it seems to me that ship has sailed, no pun intended. When you dial the Seattle numbers now you usually get a person from another country on the the other end , they are usually polite and try hard but do not have the experience or know how to get your situation resolved in such a manner that you have a confident feeling when you hang up your phone after speaking with them.

I agree with you 100%. They are very nice the representatives at Holland America and they do try. They just don't have the training. I've had a lot of problems and a lot of difficulty resolving .But it's some point they do get resolved.

• Like 1

On 1/5/2024 at 12:01 AM, Gunther1 said:

From years of working in a call center many  years ago, I always stress the importance of documentation when somebody calls: write down the date, time, details (facts, not opinions) and most importantly, the name (or agent number, etc, if they refuse to give their name) of the person you talk to in prior conversations.

Save any screen shots of any on line chats, also.  They have a mysterious way of not being retrievable.

It greatly increases the likelihood of a customer being taken seriously  if they have proof of their prior attempts to write a wrong.

This isn’t intended just for you: EVERYBODY should do this when doing battle with a faceless corporation.  Trust me….it helps.

I am a retired customer service agent as well. And the above is so true.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/4/2024 at 9:51 PM, CineGraphic said:

You sent two emails, and haven't given them enough time to respond.

Wait 2 months and then call them back if you really think it's worth it, but don't expect any more than your original $11 back. Customer service everywhere is nothing like it used to be. Sadly, its the new norm.

So true

5 hours ago, TRLD said:

So what exactly do you think is different then Princess disagreed, contested, he lost the dispute and Princess felt it was an abuse of the system. One dispute filed after Princess told him that the charge was valid. In my opinion Princess was right based upon the cruise contract.

I just don’t think Princess (or any other hospitality provider) would ban a guest after one single disputed charge. Even if Princess proved the dispute was unfounded and won with the credit card company that’s hardly grounds for being unwelcome. Maybe I am wrong but my suspicion is the ban resulted from multiple infractions and maybe the dispute was the straw that broke the camel’s back. Your friend’s son might just not be forthcoming in disclosing the truth to you (or even his own father). 

• Like 4

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, Real NHDOC said:

I just don’t think Princess (or any other hospitality provider) would ban a guest after one single disputed charge. Even if Princess proved the dispute was unfounded and won with the credit card company that’s hardly grounds for being unwelcome. Maybe I am wrong but my suspicion is the ban resulted from multiple infractions and maybe the dispute was the straw that broke the camel’s back. Your friend’s son might just not be forthcoming in disclosing the truth to you (or even his own father). 

It was only one infraction. It was related to an excursion. The son tried to cancel after the deadline because of weather and thought that it should not go. Princess told him it was after the deadline. He then tried to go through customer service on board, who told him no. He then tried going through corporate who also told him no. Then he went the dispute route for approximately $300. 2  people 149 each. End result dispute contested and denied and son banned.

Which is why I said that according to the contract Princess was in the right to deny the refund.

While his parent are Elite and sail several.times a year  This was the sons families 3rd cruise on Princess. Never filed a dispute with Princess before. Their extended family cruises rotate between Princess, Celebrity, RCL and HAL. The ban was only for Princess, not all CCL lines. So now they rotate their extended family trips on the remaining 3.

Edited by TRLD

On 1/5/2024 at 3:40 AM, pmjnh said:

Personally, I would eat the $11 and lesson learned..check your account on the app or stateroom tv every day on board for any errors or overcharges.

Excellent suggestion to check your bill online DAILY... these mistakes happen and if you catch it, get it fixed immediately.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, shadow 123 said:

I agree with you 100%. They are very nice the representatives at Holland America and they do try. They just don't have the training. I've had a lot of problems and a lot of difficulty resolving .But it's some point they do get resolved.

Also the reason why it is important to check things and get them resolved on board.

As I understand it once the cruise ends the records are not immediately available at Corporate. So any factual items such as I was overcharged requires that the information be available, then often requires a request to be sent to the ship to the appropriate department  then that department has to ok the refund.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, TRLD said:

It was only one infraction. It was related to an excursion. The son tried to cancel after the deadline because of weather and thought that it should not go. Princess told him it was after the deadline. He then tried to go through customer service on board, who told him no. He then tried going through corporate who also told him no. Then he went the dispute route for approximately $300. 2  people 149 each. End result dispute contested and denied and son banned.

Which is why I said that according to the contract Princess was in the right to deny the refund.

While his parent are Elite and sail several.times a year  This was the sons families 3rd cruise on Princess. Never filed a dispute with Princess before. Their extended family cruises rotate between Princess, Celebrity, RCL and HAL. The ban was only for Princess, not all CCL lines. So now they rotate their extended family trips on the remaining 3.

Well, I suppose in a case like that it’s clear the son knew he wasn’t entitled to the money back and just wanted to be vindictive and try the dispute process to see if he could get away with it. Good for Princess for not only fighting the dispute but banning him. But the OPs case is presumably different in that a dispute for a legitimate reason would not result in the cruiseline taking any retribution against them if they were truly entitled to the money and used the dispute process as it was intended. 

• Like 5

44 minutes ago, TRLD said:

Then he went the dispute route for approximately $300. 2  people 149 each. End result dispute contested and denied and son banned.

I would agree w/Princess and the credit card company.....and perhaps if I was Princess, that might not be a passenger I would want onboard again......The "contract" regarding excursions is fairly cut and dry regarding when/how to cancel.  Not any wiggle room for him to get out of it just because he thought the weather was bad.....and the credit card company agreed also.

Filing a credit card dispute is for whenever you cannot get money back due to negligence of the merchant.....the above was not any fault of Princess but rather a lack of knowledge by the passenger.

Just my 2cents on the situation......and experience.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, julia said:

The minibar has always been the culprit for us, and in 35 cruises, we've never once partaken!

With the advent of drink packages, there have been times when we've left MORE items (beer, soda, waters) in the minibar than were there originally, aaaaand still got dinged. 😲

@WVU_Neal  My DH graduated WVU in '72 and was/still is a Sigma Nu!

This has happened to us too. I always take a pic of the TV screen (account statement) before leaving the room, but when HAL pulls what I call the "HAL 2-Step" there's very little you can do to settle the issue until post cruise. 

I suspect that the minibar charges (at the very end of cruise) are a result to poor stock/room prep by the room stewards from the previous cruise. 

1 hour ago, Real NHDOC said:

Well, I suppose in a case like that it’s clear the son knew he wasn’t entitled to the money back and just wanted to be vindictive and try the dispute process to see if he could get away with it. Good for Princess for not only fighting the dispute but banning him. But the OPs case is presumably different in that a dispute for a legitimate reason would not result in the cruiseline taking any retribution against them if they were truly entitled to the money and used the dispute process as it was intended. 

Never said anything about the op's case since none of us have the real details.

Only pointing out that cc disputes should be used after normal procedures fail and that one should be very certain on the merits of their dispute before going that route

13 hours ago, Boatdrill said:

Try this number: 1-888-663-5384.   Reservations Accounting.

Monday-Friday 7:00 am-5:00 pm Pacific time 

and/or email them at reservation_accounting@hollandamerica.com  

Good luck ! If the $11 is important to you, it should be important to them. 

This is exactly the department I was going to suggest. I would recommend calling within normal hours. They are very helpful usually. Email works also but not sure their current response time. I have had things resolved in a day or two or in 2 weeks. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, shadow 123 said:

Most companies decided long ago that hiring smart people and actually empowering them to help was much too expensive. In a past life I did tech support while it was still staffed with people who knew the product and could troubleshoot just about anything - I saw support get outsourced first to a rural call center, then to Mumbai (I managed to move to a related position that couldn't be outsourced). 

Even when call centers are in the US, the companies don't empower their staff to make decisions, instead their goal is to end calls as quickly as possible. Frankly, I think management at many companies would RATHER have people posting that customer service is no help than to have their call center deluged with people demanding the same credit/refund/replacement given to one person who then told people on Reddit to ask for it.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, TheMichael said:

Most companies decided long ago that hiring smart people and actually empowering them to help was much too expensive. In a past life I did tech support while it was still staffed with people who knew the product and could troubleshoot just about anything - I saw support get outsourced first to a rural call center, then to Mumbai (I managed to move to a related position that couldn't be outsourced). 

Even when call centers are in the US, the companies don't empower their staff to make decisions, instead their goal is to end calls as quickly as possible. Frankly, I think management at many companies would RATHER have people posting that customer service is no help than to have their call center deluged with people demanding the same credit/refund/replacement given to one person who then told people on Reddit to ask for it.

You're absolutely right. There were times I didn't know how the company I worked for stayed in business! And they were a fortune 500 company. It almost seems like no 1 at the top cares just as long as the money rolls in. Representatives made promises they knew they couldn't keep because they knew they were not gonna get that call when that person called back. Someone else would have to clean up their mess.  Well I'm ranting.

Most of our tech support went to a different country  as well.

The representatives at holland America really are very nice. They're very considerate and kind. However, I will say this again, they are not trained.

I was  very fortunate. I had Seniority and I was in a union. A lot of our work was outsourced but I was able to keep my job until retirement.

• Like 2

This is a reply on the subject of the overcharging of $11 and the frustration on receiving a response and the refund.  I understand the principle of the $11 - it is not the amount.  I understand it is about how Hollland America service personnel were not there to listen to you.  You have drawn a line in the sand and I hope it is resolved for both you and HAL. Hopefully things will go smoothly in the future.  Cruising is getting very expensive and services that were once included in the price are now considered extras.  I find it is important to look at all the included and excluded amounts a cruise can cost.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, USAKimberley said:

This is a reply on the subject of the overcharging of $11 and the frustration on receiving a response and the refund.  I understand the principle of the $11 - it is not the amount.  I understand it is about how Hollland America service personnel were not there to listen to you.  You have drawn a line in the sand and I hope it is resolved for both you and HAL. Hopefully things will go smoothly in the future.  Cruising is getting very expensive and services that were once included in the price are now considered extras.  I find it is important to look at all the included and excluded amounts a cruise can cost.

I just love the argument that it's the Principle, not the amount.

What if it was not 11 dollars, but 11 cents?  or a single cent?

Would it still be the principle?  At some point, you've got to say, it's just not worth the time.  Seems for some 11 dollars is just not worth the time and hassle.

• Like 2

In the past I learned that If you call Reservations Accounting at HAL, don't choose the number prompt for Refunds.

Chose the option for "Everything Else" (or whatever it is) and an agent will answer. .  

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, HamOp said:

I just love the argument that it's the Principle, not the amount.

What if it was not 11 dollars, but 11 cents?  or a single cent?

Would it still be the principle?  At some point, you've got to say, it's just not worth the time.  Seems for some 11 dollars is just not worth the time and hassle.

I have a friend who wrote the utility company over 3 cents. Sometimes one cent is worth the effort. Not for me, but I respect the complaint about an $11 refund. There are some good solutions offered in the comments too for this passenger. Complaining about services (my feelings) is not an indication that HAL service is bad or good. It is just different experiences per individual because of different expectations and the people who are involved. Everyone gets a bad day. 

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Fluoroman11 said:

This has happened to us too. I always take a pic of the TV screen (account statement) before leaving the room, but when HAL pulls what I call the "HAL 2-Step" there's very little you can do to settle the issue until post cruise. 

I suspect that the minibar charges (at the very end of cruise) are a result to poor stock/room prep by the room stewards from the previous cruise. 

Like many long-time HAL cruisers, we have learned to have our mini bar/fridge emptied of all chargeable items on the first day of a cruise.  Sometimes this is done by our steward and other times the room service folks will do the deed.  We make sure to take a picture of the empty fridge/counter.  Trying to dispute mini-bar charges on any cruise line can be difficult and it can become your word against somebody elses word.  

Hank

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

Like many long-time HAL cruisers, we have learned to have our mini bar/fridge emptied of all chargeable items on the first day of a cruise.  Sometimes this is done by our steward and other times the room service folks will do the deed.  We make sure to take a picture of the empty fridge/counter.  Trying to dispute mini-bar charges on any cruise line can be difficult and it can become your word against somebody elses word.  

Hank

Which is exactly why I've said for many years that a stocked minibar should be an OPTION WHEN BOOKING!  I would love to check "No Thanks" and have the full use of the fridge during my cruise. The hassle of emptying, checking, and restocking must be time consuming, and, I can't imagine that there's much demand for the overpriced contents on the first place!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, julia said:

Which is exactly why I've said for many years that a stocked minibar should be an OPTION WHEN BOOKING!  I would love to check "No Thanks" and have the full use of the fridge during my cruise. The hassle of emptying, checking, and restocking must be time consuming, and, I can't imagine that there's much demand for the overpriced contents on the first place!

This is an excellent idea.