Uber or Taxi from Sydney Airport to CBD?

I've read a few reviews on taking taxis from the airport to the CBD. The booking site I booked hotel on has a "deal" for a pre paid taxi for 60AUD. Are Ubers in decent supply at the airport? Is the $60.00 offer one we should go with? We will have 2 large check in suitcases and 2 small carry ons.

Mahalo.

6 hours ago, Yehootu said:

I've read a few reviews on taking taxis from the airport to the CBD. The booking site I booked hotel on has a "deal" for a pre paid taxi for 60AUD. Are Ubers in decent supply at the airport? Is the $60.00 offer one we should go with? We will have 2 large check in suitcases and 2 small carry ons.

Mahalo.

That's about par for the trip depending on your hotel location. I would take it as Sydney traffic can be chaotic at times and with a prepay the meter is off. Ubers are available if you so desire.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Yehootu said:

Is the $60.00 offer one we should go with? We will have 2 large check in suitcases and 2 small carry ons.

There have been a number of complaints regarding the inclusion of taxis by hotel booking sites. For $60 there may be no savings at all over the regular fare, depending on time of day, traffic etc. Uber without any surge pricing should be even cheaper.

I would just get a cab/uber when I arrive as any potential savings (premium) is not worth the risk of another thing going awry. Particularly as it is so easy and straightforward getting a taxi (or Uber) from arrivals.

We took a taxi from Marriott Circular Quay to the airport last Thursday at 7:30 in the morning very little traffic as it was holiday time and the price was $65.

Last month when we arrived at the airport in Auckland and grabbed a taxi to CBD it was reasonably priced and easy to find no wait or need for local phone/data plan

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, daydreamer16 said:

Is that a flat rate or a metered fare?

It would be metered. You would be unlikely to get a flat rate in a taxi to/from the airport unless you have a deal such as described above.

13 hours ago, possum52 said:

It would be metered. You would be unlikely to get a flat rate in a taxi to/from the airport unless you have a deal such as described above.

What about travel to & from the airport in Melbourne? We are going to be there for 4 days at the end of March. Thanks, Denise

9 hours ago, daydreamer16 said:

What about travel to & from the airport in Melbourne? We are going to be there for 4 days at the end of March. Thanks, Denise

My choice for an international arrival would be a taxi - walk out of the terminal and the taxi rank is right there. Of course, if you are an Uber customer, you can use their service. There is a rideshare pick up zone outside Terminal 1. What hotel are you staying at? 

There is Skybus which runs between the airport and Southern Cross Train Station in the Central Business District.- cost is $23.90 per person one way. Tickets may be purchased online or at the point of departure. At Melbourne Airport, there are Skybus stops outside each terminal according to their website. Skybus 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, daydreamer16 said:

Thanks for the info! We are arriving in Melbourne from a few days visiting Uluru. So I guess we'll be arriving at a domestic terminal. We are staying at the Melbourne Sheraton, on Little Collins St.

As your hotel is at the opposite end of the city to Southern Cross Station, it's probably a better idea to take a taxi although you are not far from Parliament Station which will link up to Southern Cross. That is if you can be bothered hauling luggage into lifts or up escalators, then a couple of hundred metres walk to the Sheraton. 

Yes you will be arriving at a domestic terminal - 

With T2 being the hub for international flights, domestic travellers will pass through T1, T3 or T4; Qantas arrives and departs from T1, T3 is reserved for Virgin Australia passengers, and all remaining airlines fly from T4. 

You will be able to find a taxi rank close to all the terminals.

We are arriving in Sydney at 730am on a Tuesday and will need to go to Rydges Sydney Harbour. We were thinking of using Uber but if might be easier with a Taxi. Will traffic be crazy at that time?  Wait times can add up in a taxi.

We find that when we return to LAX from an overseas flight, that there is often a line for Uber but none for taxis.  Given surge pricing and airport fees, we always opt for a taxi.  The price may or may not be higher for a cab, but after a 12 plus hour flight, the small extra cost, if there is one is worth it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, springfire said:

We are arriving in Sydney at 730am on a Tuesday and will need to go to Rydges Sydney Harbour. We were thinking of using Uber but if might be easier with a Taxi. Will traffic be crazy at that time?  Wait times can add up in a taxi.

It will be busy, Sydney traffic is always crazy. But unless you catch the train, taxi is your best bet.

• Like 1