WORLD CRUISE 2024

5 hours ago, papaflamingo said:

Just a comment about itinerary changes... all the speculation in the world is worthless. This mess in the Red Sea could go on for 20 years or be over in days.  Regent is likely looking at their options and will make a decision when it is necessary.  Consider the logistics of a major change in a cruise ship's itinerary.  It impacts port space, supply abilities, fuel capabilities, crew turnover,  shore excursion availability, other ships also changing itineraries, and, of course, cost.  So it's likely, and in my opinion, wise, for Regent to spend significant time and look at options and then wait until it's necessary to make the changes, and wait until they are firmed up to announce them.  Consider them changing the cruise and cancelling one or two others and then in a week this ends, or announcing changes that they end up unable to accomplish.  Everyone will be furious and we'll have endless threads of "why did Regent cancel or change my cruise so early?"  

So.... all we can do is wait and see.  Let the company decide what they want to do with their ship and then adjust to the decision.  

All true and I appreciate the complexities. But why have Cunard, HAL, Princess, Aida, MSC, Silversea and others been able to announce their March/April ‘24 plans for this region? Regent and Oceania (and Viking and Crystal) are the laggards at the moment. Even a short communication would be appreciated - something like “… we expect to make a decision by February XX”.  

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, crusin7 said:

Good Morning Hilo!

FullSizeRender.thumb.jpeg.12afab978c163b8c70deca0f8538fe1c.jpeg

We had significant rocking during our approach to Hilo.  Glassware breaking and things falling.  John came on at 0655 to tell us we would be leaving this port because of large swells.  He asked us to remain in our cabins and stay seated.  That’s a new one for us.  Again we wait.

That sure was something this morning!  All of our Vero water bottles and water glasses on the nightstands crashed to the floor! And by the sounds of it, so did a lot of other items in adjoining cabins. Wow. I wonder if we’ll possibly get an extra stop in French Polynesia since we will hopefully be arriving in that area a day or so early. That would be a nice bonus. 

• Like 1

At his noon update, Captain announced we will be arriving at our next port, Nuku Hiva, at our scheduled arrival time.  The ship had damage to glassware and dishes.

4 hours ago, crusin7 said:

At his noon update, Captain announced we will be arriving at our next port, Nuku Hiva, at our scheduled arrival time.  The ship had damage to glassware and dishes.

Nuku Hiva is very special.  We were there yesterday.  Walk down to the left and eat lunch at Moana Nui.  So good.  We had fish that was caught that day.  And really good pizza and fresh salad.

• Like 3

On 1/24/2024 at 10:50 AM, Gilly said:

This morning I got a special "Upgrade your horizon" offer for the April 8th segment from Abu Dhabi sailing to Rome, original itinerary - which bearing in mind the current situation, seems a little optimistic.  (We didn't accept the offer as we're already booked on Voyager around that time)

I see that all WC segments on Mariner from Singapore onwards are now marked as “Waitlisted”. Same for a number of April-May Navigator cruises.

Probably means that an announcement on re-routing the ships will be made soon?

Thoroughly enjoying this WC blog and the fabulous pictures.

Edited by flossie009
  • Like 2

Yes, also noticed that today. But yet, got an insert in our Passages tonight (on Mariner) advertising the special discounts on these Mariner and Navigator sailings that obviously are not going to go as planned. Shows wonderful ship to shore communication (not!).  

18 hours ago, Marylebone37 said:

All true and I appreciate the complexities. But why have Cunard, HAL, Princess, Aida, MSC, Silversea and others been able to announce their March/April ‘24 plans for this region? Regent and Oceania (and Viking and Crystal) are the laggards at the moment. Even a short communication would be appreciated - something like “… we expect to make a decision by February XX”.  

They'll announce any changes when changes are made.  I get that people would like to know what the "plan" is, but Mariner isn't even scheduled to get to the Red Sea until April 13. That's over 2 months from now.  And Navigator doesn't go until May.  A lot is going to happen during the next 2 months.   There is a possibility, perhaps a good one based on last nights actions,  that the threat will be mitigated  by then.  Regent probably doesn't have a "drop dead" date yet for making the decision.  So they probably can't tell you when the decision will be made.  The Red Sea is very important to the world economy.  The world isn't going to sit back and let this continue very long.  

Relax and enjoy your cruise.  You are headed to the most beautiful part of the world, the South Pacific!  Don't worry about what's going to happen in 2 months.  The worst that will happen is that they'll route the ship around Africa instead of going through Suez Canal.  Seeing Africa would be fantastic in my opinion.  So either way it will be an amazing cruise. I wish I was on it! 😎

Edited by papaflamingo
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

The food has been wonderful so far on this segment. The Head Chef is very approachable and is always interacting with passengers as he passes around the ship. Last night in Compass Rose: Chateaubriand, Pad Thai, and fresh Hawaiian Blue Marlin.

IMG_6241.jpeg

IMG_6242.jpeg

IMG_6243.jpeg

Edited by Marylebone37
  • Like 5

10 hours ago, papaflamingo said:

They'll announce any changes when changes are made.  I get that people would like to know what the "plan" is, but Mariner isn't even scheduled to get to the Red Sea until April 13. That's over 2 months from now.  And Navigator doesn't go until May.  A lot is going to happen during the next 2 months.   There is a possibility, perhaps a good one based on last nights actions,  that the threat will be mitigated  by then.  Regent probably doesn't have a "drop dead" date yet for making the decision.  So they probably can't tell you when the decision will be made.  The Red Sea is very important to the world economy.  The world isn't going to sit back and let this continue very long.  

Relax and enjoy your cruise.  You are headed to the most beautiful part of the world, the South Pacific!  Don't worry about what's going to happen in 2 months.  The worst that will happen is that they'll route the ship around Africa instead of going through Suez Canal.  Seeing Africa would be fantastic in my opinion.  So either way it will be an amazing cruise. I wish I was on it! 😎

If we are unable to safely us the Suez Canal, the re-routing will have to begin well before we are in that area. We have heard that the drop-dead timing for the decision is before we reach New Zealand.

It’s a bit mind-boggling to consider what must go into such a drastic re-routing. It’s not just the changes for passengers embarking or debarking the affected segments. Crew changes have to be reorganized. Whole new sets of excursions must be arranged. Provisioning of supplies need to be rearranged. Changes in fueling, removal of waste. Entertainer and lecturer changes. Pilot arrangements. Changes in needed visas for passengers and crew. And probably a few dozen other things that none of us will ever know about.

• Like 8

Just now, wishIweretravelling said:

If we are unable to safely us the Suez Canal, the re-routing will have to begin well before we are in that area. We have heard that the drop-dead timing for the decision is before we reach New Zealand.

Who is the source of this information?

Day 30!  It was overcast but warm today.  We attended the cooking demonstration with Chef Paulette. Simple Sauces was the topic.  She made assorted sauces and dressings.  All can be made in 15 minutes or less.  Balsamic Vinaigrette, Maple-Walnut Vinaigrette,Roasted Red Bell Pepper Sauce, Lemon-Caper Sauce and Spicy Peanut Sauce.

IMG_4828.thumb.jpeg.8e8e0e5da70b4015ba8efc25288ed128.jpeg

We went to the Tahiti Legends and Dances lecture.  Here is Waianu dancing a Tahitian dance.

IMG_4842.thumb.jpeg.715c37069f49112c81993ea228a644d6.jpeg

• Like 3

Good Morning Pacific Ocean!  We will soon be crossing the Equator.  No Neptune Party scheduled.  We are enjoying a smooth ride, the first in 4 days.  Still nothing official about rerouting.  The only logical conclusion is we will sail around South Africa.  We wait.

IMG_4849.thumb.jpeg.08e4aed933424c696bfcda258a091568.jpeg

• Like 4

Weather and seas are beautiful today, but FYI, not sure how Tropical Cyclone Nat will impact things as we get closer to Papeete. Hopefully the worst will have passed by our arrival in that general area.

https://www.rnz.co.nz/international/pacific-news/508490/tropical-cyclone-nat-td06f-upgraded-alert-in-place-for-southern-cook-islands

23 hours ago, crusin7 said:

Day 30!  It was overcast but warm today.  We attended the cooking demonstration with Chef Paulette. Simple Sauces was the topic.  She made assorted sauces and dressings.  All can be made in 15 minutes or less.  Balsamic Vinaigrette, Maple-Walnut Vinaigrette,Roasted Red Bell Pepper Sauce, Lemon-Caper Sauce and Spicy Peanut Sauce.

IMG_4828.thumb.jpeg.8e8e0e5da70b4015ba8efc25288ed128.jpeg

We went to the Tahiti Legends and Dances lecture.  Here is Waianu dancing a Tahitian dance.

IMG_4842.thumb.jpeg.715c37069f49112c81993ea228a644d6.jpeg

Do you get a recipe card for each item prepared?

We finally found our pictures taken at the Gala.  They are on the world cruise page on the Regent website under…. See what our guests are posting on Social Media.

We look Marvelous!

IMG_4988.thumb.webp.c085ee0156484f399bdb30938786a621.webp

• Like 10