Saigon

marshas123

7 hours ago, Vallesan said:

Tipping.

Which is the best currency for tipping drivers/guides?

Unless you are in a location with huge inflation or currency issues (ie Argentina or Turkey), best to use the local currency if you have it.

ATMs are everywhere in Saigon, and you can negotiate better in markets with VN Dong.

If it's a choice between USD or Euro or Pounds, USD is the best of that lot.

17 hours ago, Redtravel said:

Wait at curb until you gather at least 15 people who also want to cross. Form a wall or mass together and walk as a group.

10 hours ago, ldubs said:

Ours said whatever we do don't stop walking because the cars/scooters will anticipate that you keep moving.

I would respectfully disagree with Redtravel's "at least 15 people."  Not that 15 wouldn't be a boon, but just a couple of brave young people (because they know the drill) or fragile older people (because their presence will be respected) will suffice.  Go with them and do what they do.  

However, if no locals appear for you to cross with, then do exactly what Idubs said for exactly the reason given: it's important to maintain a steady pace for predictability.  Hint: start watching locals crossing as soon as you arrive, before you need to cross; see how they do it so you'll be prepared with a plan when it's your turn.  

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Vallesan said:

Tipping.

Which is the best currency for tipping drivers/guides?

Imagine working in the UK and somebody gives you a tip in Dongs.  What would you do with it?  When in Vietnam, tip in Dongs just like the Vietnamese should tip in pounds sterling if in the UK.  Giving folks a foreign currency (i.e. Dollars or Euros) is OK, but it is inconvenient (for them) and they lose some value when they use it versus their own currency.

Besides, imagine tipping somebody half a million dong (about $20) or even a million :).  

Hank

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

Imagine working in the UK and somebody gives you a tip in Dongs.  What would you do with it?  When in Vietnam, tip in Dongs just like the Vietnamese should tip in pounds sterling if in the UK.  Giving folks a foreign currency (i.e. Dollars or Euros) is OK, but it is inconvenient (for them) and they lose some value when they use it versus their own currency.

Besides, imagine tipping somebody half a million dong (about $20) or even a million :).  

Hank

LOL!

Yes it would certainly make me feel like a ‘millionaire’!

20 hours ago, Redtravel said:

We had dongs. They asked for dollars.  In many places having dollars is preferable.

Absolutely, especially in Saigon and Hanoi.  Vietnam's economic progress over the past 50 years has changed the social landscape, but it's still a top-down one-party country which new generations find chafing after their exposure to the internet, US (and other foreign) movies/TV and US/foreign visitors.  They'd like to try their hand elsewhere but they need hard currency in order to travel so they maintain now-legal US dollar bank accounts in hopes of pursuing their dream.

This info is based on my experience teaching conversational English at Hanoi's Foreign Trade University in 2012.  I doubt it's changed since then.

8 hours ago, Vincent Tran said:

For the size of Riviera (~1500 pax), it will likely dock at Hiep Phuoc Port or Phu My Port. However, it is best to ask your cruise to confirm, as it may change when it is close to the day.

We sailed into the city centre in 2016 on the Nautica. We asked where this ship was sailing because sailing up the river is a highlight. We were told it wouldn’t be Phu My. 
We booked on that reassurance.

BUT,  the world has changed in recent months. Hopefully it will still sail up the river.

If you post back after February 10 I can tell you if Riviera was assigned/docked at Hiep Phuoc and docked there, as opposed to the other ports - and there are quite a few!   I do know that one of Oceania's smaller ships docked there a month or two ago, but that doesn't necessarily mean that Riviera will end up there. From what I've read but not confirmed, it's 45-60 minutes to center city HCMC/Saigon, with a short shuttle ride to outside the commercial port, and then perhaps a shuttle to a location near the Opera House (Municipal Theater).  And perhaps taxis outside the port. 

14 minutes ago, IWantToLiveOverTheSea said:

I do know that one of Oceania's smaller ships docked there a month or two ago,

That's a shame.

If I was on an 'R' ship on an overnight I would be disappointed not to be at Nah Rong.

Walking into town from the ship was interesting. 

Just now, Tranquility Base said:

That's a shame.

If I was on an 'R' ship on an overnight I would be disappointed not to be at Nah Rong.

Walking into town from the ship was interesting. 

I haven't seen any ships there, unless that's where a recent Seabourn ship berthed.  But I think they are even smaller than the R ships, so maybe they can make an extra river turn or two.  But at least Hiep Phuoc goes up the river a ways, just not all the way to Saigon district 1!  I'm curious if the travel from the sea to Hiep Phuoc will be scenic - delta land?

26 minutes ago, IWantToLiveOverTheSea said:

I haven't seen any ships there, unless that's where a recent Seabourn ship berthed.  But I think they are even smaller than the R ships, so maybe they can make an extra river turn or two.  But at least Hiep Phuoc goes up the river a ways, just not all the way to Saigon district 1!  I'm curious if the travel from the sea to Hiep Phuoc will be scenic - delta land?

Nautica docked at Nah Rong for 2 overnights (3 total days) February 2023 when we were aboard.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, DrHemlock said:

Absolutely, especially in Saigon and Hanoi.  Vietnam's economic progress over the past 50 years has changed the social landscape, but it's still a top-down one-party country which new generations find chafing after their exposure to the internet, US (and other foreign) movies/TV and US/foreign visitors.  They'd like to try their hand elsewhere but they need hard currency in order to travel so they maintain now-legal US dollar bank accounts in hopes of pursuing their dream.

This info is based on my experience teaching conversational English at Hanoi's Foreign Trade University in 2012.  I doubt it's changed since then.

Thanks. I never knew this. Makes a world of sense. Probably part of the reason they insist on Saigon and not HCMC.

On 1/7/2024 at 10:08 AM, clo said:

Not at all what you're asking but I'll toss it in just in case. No one - outside of government I suppose - calls it anything other than Saigon. Have a great time.

I’m currently in Vietnam for three weeks on an independently arranged holiday and, out of interest, asked whether “Saigon” is widely used. The answer was that those who were old enough to remember “Saigon” still referred to the city as that but younger people used “Ho Chi Minh”.  So I guess that if you you don’t want to appear old in Vietnam (difficult as everyone looks under 30) use Ho Chi Minh!

1 hour ago, beechwood said:

I’m currently in Vietnam for three weeks on an independently arranged holiday and, out of interest, asked whether “Saigon” is widely used. The answer was that those who were old enough to remember “Saigon” still referred to the city as that but younger people used “Ho Chi Minh”.  So I guess that if you you don’t want to appear old in Vietnam (difficult as everyone looks under 30) use Ho Chi Minh!

LOL. Never thought of that. I AM old and know a number of people who served there so I guess I'll stick with Saigon. But thanks for this.

On 1/16/2024 at 6:14 AM, IWantToLiveOverTheSea said:

From what I've read but not confirmed, it's 45-60 minutes to center city HCMC/Saigon, with a short shuttle ride to outside the commercial port, and then perhaps a shuttle to a location near the Opera House (Municipal Theater). 

@IWantToLiveOverTheSea

After you visit, would you please try to post back here with the time it took for the shuttles to and from town.

I am familiar with Nah Rong & Phu My, but not with Hiep Phuoc.

Thanks.

Edited by Tranquility Base

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/8/2024 at 2:13 PM, Queen of DaNile said:

We are on Riviera due to arrive HCMC on February 7. 

This was the corporate response to my question:

The port we intend to use is :

SPCT Hiep Phuoc Port, however this is subject to change at port authority discretion.

@Queen of DaNile

I see you are now docked.

After your visit, if you are able, I would be keen to know the shuttle info from this port please.

IE: Did you hear passengers talk about how long the shuttles were taking into town & back to the ship ?

What time was the last shuttle back from town on the first night ?

Just trying to plan a DIY day on Day 1.

Many thanks.

On 2/6/2024 at 10:42 PM, Tranquility Base said:

@Queen of DaNile

I see you are now docked.

After your visit, if you are able, I would be keen to know the shuttle info from this port please.

IE: Did you hear passengers talk about how long the shuttles were taking into town & back to the ship ?

What time was the last shuttle back from town on the first night ?

Just trying to plan a DIY day on Day 1.

Many thanks.

Hi.  I was on Riviera in Hiep Phuoc Feb. 7.  The port name is Tan Cang Hiep Phuoc.  You can see it on Google, south of HCMC, on the Soi Rap River (I think?).  Buses for tours were maybe 1-2 minute walk from ship.  Some vendors were setting up outside when we got in early; more came later. They were there at night with some decent, fun souvenirs.  I don't remember a local greeting like the ones we got in Borneo and the Philippines ports.  A short port shuttle was required for everyone not taking a ship excursion -- bus was kind of hidden and not as well marked as those in some ports I've visited, so make sure you get on the right one if you're going to the port entrance to meet a non-Oceania vendor.  The trip to the port entrance was fast, with no waiting, at least for us.  The other shuttle buses took people to the Ben Thanh Market in center city HCMC (I think near Opera House in District 1, a great location for exploration). It was reported as leaving every half hour the first day from noon to 10 PM. (We were scheduled to arrive 11:30 the first day.  We actually were tied up and cleared a bit earlier than projected, but I don't know if any of the shuttles left early.) The ride was reported as taking up to an hour, though with the madness of Tet, I imagine it took at least an hour. 

On the second day, I got off the ship and met a pre-arranged driver to take me to a floating temple up north.  Then we came back to the city for a short while and then he took me back to the port.  I saw the market, but didn't really pay much attention.  But I'd suggest making sure you know exactly where to find the shuttle coming back (same place it drops?)  And check to see if they run all day without a long lunch break, as there was a somewhat confusing note in the daily Currents paper about no service 1-3 PM. In a city of 9 million during Tet, the market (and whole city) was really hopping. There were some, but not many, taxi drivers outside the port.  They didn't speak much English, so if you're not taking the shuttle, be prepared with written info on where you want to go, and what you're prepared to pay.  And be aware that Saigon traffic is horrendous, so take  patience with you on the ride. 

As for Nha Trang (Nha Trang Port, Vietnam) first we tendered - a crowded but efficient 10-15 minute ride. I think some smaller ships dock there, but Riviera is one of O's large ships, and she was assigned to anchor.  Everyone tendered to a place where many taxi drivers (some with tours) congregated, outside a couple small coffee shops.  You could apparently then take a shuttle to the TTC Hotel but I didn't look to see where that was.  Shuttles ran every half hour. If you're meeting a vendor, I'd make sure the person uses a sign board, as it's a very busy, crowded place. 

And in Hue (Chan May port) you'll likely have a shuttle to Lang Co Beach Resort.  Lang Co lagoon is a beautiful place, but I imagine many people will find this shuttle very limiting. I personally would take an excursion (ship or non-ship).  You'll spend time on a coach, but at least have an enlightening, fulfilling experience.  Oceania had a lot of good excursions.  One advantage of taking an O tour was that in this port, the tour buses were a lot closer to the ship than where people had to go to meet non-ship excursions.  800 meter walks in SE Asia heat aren't fun. We did it for a TourwithXuan excursion, but be forewarned that the walk to the meeting place was long and sunny. I don't know if any vendors are allowed to actually come into the port, so clarify that if you're not up for a sweaty walk. We loved Hoi An, and the countryside ride was scenic (maybe an hour? I forget).  I don't remember if there were any taxis outside the port, but probably there were a few.  And some roaming cattle too.

Hope this helps prepared you for what you'll encounter.  But keep in mind that any of it could be different for YOUR cruise, especially since this was Riviera's first trip to Asia, and things seemed a little fluid. And it was during Tet, which is a huge (and long lasting) celebration. Happy year of the dragon!

Edited by IWantToLiveOverTheSea
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, IWantToLiveOverTheSea said:

Hope this helps prepared you for what you'll encounter.

@IWantToLiveOverTheSea  Wow, it certainly does. Many thanks for the comprehensive post ......appreciated.

Whilst I'm familiar with Saigon I haven't docked at Hiep Phuoc.

So yes, I think I'll plan the first day shuttle & DIY, but I'll be sure to have the port written down in Vietnamese as my backup for a taxi ride back.

I have a ship's tour booked for 2nd day due to early all aboard time.

Nah Trang is also familiar so we are DIY.

Yes, have only docked on an 'R' ship....otherwise tender.

Chan May, yes we are on a tour to Hoi An.

Last time there we docked overnight at Tien Sa which is only 10km from Da Nang.

So Chan May is more distant, but Hoi An is still worth revisiting.

Thanks for the Tet reminder.

I will mention this post on our roll call for all to peruse.

Edited by Tranquility Base

FYI on Nautica in Feb 2023 we were scheduled to tender (not dock) at Nha Trang. Weather meant we missed the port (aside: BIG storm, not just worried head office lol), so I can't promise that reality would match our scheduled itinerary. Just saying it's possible that a small ship in Nha Trang may not guarantee docked - but it might at least make it a possibility!

9 hours ago, Tranquility Base said:

@IWantToLiveOverTheSea 

Thanks for the Tet reminder.

I was aware we'd be cruising during Tet.  But what I didn't realize was just how much it would affect my experience, how early the decorations/vending/celebrations started (weeks before we got there!) and the fact that apparently many Vietnamese employees get or take a lot of time off before the actual holiday rolls around, which adds to the traffic and activity.  Then again, maybe the traffic volume we saw is actually normal traffic.  The scooters were never-ending and the mix of scooters, cars, and trucks amazed me. 

But the cities were so beautifully decorated for the new year.  I had a last minute hiccup when the driver I had pre-arranged for HCMC told me he had to stay home and help his family prepare for Tet. But he provided an alternate driver and promised to help us as needed by phone. (I wanted to go to a floating temple by myself at least an hour north of the Can Tang port. Luckily after a long drive, I found myself on a 50 cent,  5 minute boat ride to a beautiful floating temple with 100 dragon statues.  People were making offerings, buying and releasing birds, and leaving the the crazy easterner alone do her thing,  Loved it. 

1 hour ago, babysteps said:

FYI on Nautica in Feb 2023 we were scheduled to tender (not dock) at Nha Trang. Weather meant we missed the port (aside: BIG storm, not just worried head office lol), so I can't promise that reality would match our scheduled itinerary. Just saying it's possible that a small ship in Nha Trang may not guarantee docked - but it might at least make it a possibility!

I love the small ships.  But this year, Riviera had a wonderful itinerary, so off I went.  We made it to all ports, which made me quite happy. Seas were rough from Singapore to Brunei, though. The Sultan there controls a lot, but apparently his reach outside the country is limited. 

• Haha 3

• 1 month later...
Posted (edited)

I think someone on this thread or another asked me for contact info on the driver I used in Saigon.  If it was you, could you please ask again?  I didn't answer right away (sorry!) and now I'm having trouble finding the request.  Also, if anyone is going to Singapore and wants a guide, we thought the one Oceania used for some of its pre-cruise extension tours was great.  I can provide info on that guide.  I think he guides for both groups and private individuals.