Odyssey of the seas. Is this ship the red headed step child?

23 hours ago, codeyell0 said:

thank you. 
I think some people take offense when someone doesn't like something on their favorite ship.

Not offended at all. The few people who want to sail Odyssey the better pricing will be for those of us who do.

• Like 2

On 1/7/2024 at 2:37 PM, ReneeFLL said:

Have you ever researched a ship to see exactly how the shower door opens, how far the seats are from the buffet, if there is car art or not, exactly where the arcade games are placed, how much room there is from the desk when the couch is pulled out? Who does this kind of research? He was simply stating his observations.

Can you imagine the responses if someone dared to asked those types of questions on these boards?🫨

• Like 1

9 hours ago, pyrateslife4me84 said:

Right, because of lawsuits. They need to find a more compelling use for such an eye-catching structure. 

Artificial reef at the bottom of the ocean? 

Wouldn't be surprised if they remove that wart during the next dry dock.

• Like 1

It's basically a cold weather ship, that rci thought it would be a good idea to take the roof off the indoor pool and drop it in florida. Next RCI thought it would be a good idea to take that open pool deck ship and sail it out of NJ in the winter.  IMO you would be nuts to sail on this ship in NJ winter, especially when kids are not in school. The solarium will be a madhouse.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
On 1/7/2024 at 5:01 PM, codeyell0 said:

My point was this ship was so different in many ways from the oasis, freedom and Voyager class.  I figured it was a different builder.   

One can say Voyager, Freedom and Oasis Class were just upped in size from the Class previous.  Oasis just being substantially more than the Freedom Class.  Quantum Class was a design in a different direction. 

On 1/7/2024 at 5:22 PM, Oceansaway17 said:

And it's not the builder, but the designer of the class.  

I agree.

To add to this, not all Oasis Class ships were constructed by the same builder yet they share many similarities.  It’s the Marine Architect that followed the styling direction and design needs from RC.  

Edited by A&L_Ont
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, jptoz said:

It's basically a cold weather ship, that rci thought it would be a good idea to take the roof off the indoor pool and drop it in florida. Next RCI thought it would be a good idea to take that open pool deck ship and sail it out of NJ in the winter.  IMO you would be nuts to sail on this ship in NJ winter, especially when kids are not in school. The solarium will be a madhouse.

I really don’t understand why it’s going to Bayonne. I’d only consider it in April for Spring Break. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, A&L_Ont said:

One can say Voyager, Freedom and Oasis Class were just upped in size from the Class previous.  Oasis just being substantially more than the Freedom Class.  Quantum Class was a design in a different direction. 

I agree.

To add to this, not all Oasis Class ships were constructed by the same builder yet they share many similarities.  It’s the Marine Architect that followed the styling direction and design needs from RC.  

correct as Oasis and Allure were in Finland and the rest in France.

I am glad Odyssey is coming to Bayonne and will sail on her in 2025 in the springtime.

but I will miss one of the pools being covered as well as the nice navy blue color of Northstar.

Now they went and made it lime green,  oh well

On 1/7/2024 at 4:45 PM, codeyell0 said:

then they should have looked at a better option.  MSC has bunk beds that fold down into a couch 
here you can see the chair is now locked in.  and no room to walk by
you kind of have to leave the bed down or maybe ours was broken since it did not go down easily
image.thumb.png.822d05f08a932e8dcdcab997ab8e1a79.png

We had the same configuration on Harmony.
Pullman beds 100% better on all levels for a 4 person room IMO.

On 1/7/2024 at 6:16 PM, voyager70 said:

Quantum class ships seem to be very polarizing. People either love them or hate them. I love them. Right up there with Freedom and Voyager class as my favorites . Oasis class, while amazing from an engineering standpoint, are just not my cup of tea.

It's been that way ever since the Quantum first debuted. This class of ship has ALWAYS been described as not Royal enough, which is why there's some pushback on this thread, especially for people that are users of Cruise Critic. There were even rumors that the ship was originally designed for Celebrity since it doesn't have any of Royal's usual features. The ship is very much similar to MSC's Meraviglia Class ships in layout and configuration. 

• 1 month later...
On 1/9/2024 at 3:13 PM, neverbeenhere said:

Odyssey that's the one with the pink cat? Eliminate the cat and I'm good. Hey it's got Two40 and Playmakers!!!

Actually, Two70 but who's counting.😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 1/8/2024 at 4:21 PM, Ocean Boy said:

Not offended at all. The few people who want to sail Odyssey the better pricing will be for those of us who do.

Shhhh🤫 don’t let everyone know how nice Odyssey is and how much we love that ship!

were doing our 3rd TA (and possibly last since it’s moving to NJ) this November and we just love that ship!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, lovesthebeach2 said:

Shhhh🤫 don’t let everyone know how nice Odyssey is and how much we love that ship!

were doing our 3rd TA (and possibly last since it’s moving to NJ) this November and we just love that ship!

My first sailing on Odyssey will be the TA to NJ this November.

I have been on every Quantum class ship for their maiden arrival in NJ (Quantum, Anthem, and soon Odyssey). 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Another_Critic said:

My first sailing on Odyssey will be the TA to NJ this November.

I have been on every Quantum class ship for their maiden arrival in NJ (Quantum, Anthem, and soon Odyssey). 

Not sure how this will be in the winters since the pool isn’t enclosed like I hear Anthem is…

We love Odyssey!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, lovesthebeach2 said:

Not sure how this will be in the winters since the pool isn’t enclosed like I hear Anthem is…

We love Odyssey!

The solarium will be jam packed, and I suspect they will open it to under 18 for certain time periods during the first and last cruise days for cold weather sailings.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

The Quantum class is my favorite of the nine ships on which I have cruised. Spent a week on Anthem of the Seas and was blown away. I went skydiving on a ship while at sea! Drove bumper cars. Went three hundred feet up in the air on Northstar. Took in some great music inside a two story music hall. Had a drink in a pub and one made by a robot. Had a spectacular Italian meal at Jamie's. Spent hours sitting in the beautiful and relaxing Solarium. Watched fabulous entertainment in 270. Ate pizza whenever I wanted. Drank great wines in Vintages. The kummelwack made my eyes water in a good way. All that, and I still did not do everything. Am booked on Odyssey of the Seas next March and cannot wait to get onboard. This family of ships are a destination without a single port required. 

Edited by vwlmember
Added info
  • Like 4

If you look closely at certain parts of the ship, the Quantum class was designed for a new Celebrity class ship in mind but then switched over to Royal. When Quantum class first came out they had dynamic dining where you had 4 different dining rooms to choose from, similar to what you see now on the Edge class for Celebrity. The indoor pool has the same structure as the solariums on Celebrity. The shops walkway going towards the music hall and theater on deck 4 have the same look as on Celebrity’s Solstice class. The buffet layout is the same as you see on Celebrity.  Even the lettering and signage at some venues is the same font used on Celebrity ships.

When we first traveled on these types of ships, we always thought of it as a hybrid of Royal and Celebrity but it just didn’t have the feel of a traditional RCL ship. Maybe on the upper decks it did, but the lower public spaces definitely had a Celebrity feel. 

Royal fans have long wanted a larger Radiance class ship, and maybe this was corporates response but I don’t think it satisfied what people wanted.

11 hours ago, tx121 said:

If you look closely at certain parts of the ship, the Quantum class was designed for a new Celebrity class ship in mind but then switched over to Royal. When Quantum class first came out they had dynamic dining where you had 4 different dining rooms to choose from, similar to what you see now on the Edge class for Celebrity. The indoor pool has the same structure as the solariums on Celebrity. The shops walkway going towards the music hall and theater on deck 4 have the same look as on Celebrity’s Solstice class. The buffet layout is the same as you see on Celebrity.  Even the lettering and signage at some venues is the same font used on Celebrity ships.

When we first traveled on these types of ships, we always thought of it as a hybrid of Royal and Celebrity but it just didn’t have the feel of a traditional RCL ship. Maybe on the upper decks it did, but the lower public spaces definitely had a Celebrity feel. 

Royal fans have long wanted a larger Radiance class ship, and maybe this was corporates response but I don’t think it satisfied what people wanted.

Odyssey (quantum class) is a Solstice series ship that has just been Royal Caribbean'ized....they both were built by Meyer Werft. We love Odyssey just for that reason...it has that Celebrity feel to it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bajathree said:

Odyssey (quantum class) is a Solstice series ship that has just been Royal Caribbean'ized....they both were built by Meyer Werft. We love Odyssey just for that reason...it has that Celebrity feel to it.

I love Odyssey too. Maybe that is telling me I belong on X.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, bajathree said:

Quantum class is a good deal larger than Solstice class, but having the same design pedigree makes sense. I like this class too! Looking forward to my TA on Odyssey next month.

57 minutes ago, GimmeOcean said:

Quantum class is a good deal larger than Solstice class, but having the same design pedigree makes sense. I like this class too! Looking forward to my TA on Odyssey next month.

Solstice series with a little bit of a "stretch" to it....thats the Royal Caribbean'ized part...lol

On 1/7/2024 at 9:09 AM, Another_Critic said:

Neither ... I picked the TA from Rome (Civitavecchia).  🙂

We’ll be on that sailing too.