Dress code must have's

BVILady

21 minutes ago, BVILady said:

I don't know, I had booked that cruise because I liked the itinerary. If a black suit is not going to be enough (which I will have to talk him into already), I will just have no choice then to cancel and cut my losses with the deposit already paid. Never thought we well-traveled island-people will end up not being suitable for any trip. 🤣😀🤣 This is just too much trouble for the money we are spending.

Of course you're suitable.

If I read you correctly, you booked as a solo but might now have to persuade your son to join you. It would be great if you could both join in the Gala evenings in the restaurant, but if a suit [and a dark one would be fine] is going to be a stretch, you can eat in the buffet or have room service.

Yes Gala attire is 'required' around the ship but the reality is, apart from some bars where you might be a fish out of water, your son would not be on his own without Gala attire in the theatre and wandering around.

• Thanks 1

Thank you Victoria2. We will both be booked single-occupancy, so that will be quite a cash-outlay and definitely not something you want to get into and being made uncomfortable. 

1 hour ago, BVILady said:

I don't know, I had booked that cruise because I liked the itinerary. If a black suit is not going to be enough (which I will have to talk him into already), I will just have no choice then to cancel and cut my losses with the deposit already paid. Never thought we well-traveled island-people will end up not being suitable for any trip. 🤣😀🤣 This is just too much trouble for the money we are spending.

I think the responses given have related to where someone is enquiring about tuxedo rental onboard. A black suit with a tie clearly meets the advised dress code for the whole ship on gala evenings.

For those boarding a westbound crossing at Southampton who do not have a dark suit in their bagage already, and particularly if not a standard size, it would probably be better and cheaper to pre order the required size from Marks and Spencers for collection than hiring onboard.

If you fail to collect a pre order from M&S they refund the purchase after a set number of days. Other than any minor exchange rate variation between purchase and refund it's hard to see what can go wrong.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, BVILady said:

Thank you Victoria2. We will both be booked single-occupancy, so that will be quite a cash-outlay and definitely not something you want to get into and being made uncomfortable. 

You won’t be made uncomfortable.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/27/2024 at 9:31 PM, BVILady said:

I do live on a Tropical Island and even fur funerals or weddings gentlemen do not wear suits. How does the Tuxedo-Rental work, anyone can advise me on that? Is there an option for us to eat at the Buffet on Gala Nights, I really don't want to have to buy a suit for these 2 weeks, he will never have use for again. We will be in Europe for about 6 weeks, the suit will take up luggage-space we don't have. Whenever he travels with me and his sister he needs available empty space in his suit-case to take back our purchases which don't fit in our suit-case 🙂 So he will need a smart black pants, dress-shirts and one or 2 ties and dress-shoes.

I live in  a similar style in Austrlalia - will soon be doing my 10th Cunard cruise , this time around Japan. Most of my Cunard cruises have sailed out of Southampton and we have enjoyed the formality of the line . BUT - this time, the cruise is only 10 days long, we have been on QE six times before and we are only sailing on her again for the itinerary. I am now completely over bringing a Tux with me  and I dont own a dark suit, so I will simply wear trousers and a shirt at night ( probably with a blazer jacket) and not participate in the so-called Gala nights in the MDR 

22 hours ago, bazzaw said:

I live in  a similar style in Austrlalia - will soon be doing my 10th Cunard cruise , this time around Japan. Most of my Cunard cruises have sailed out of Southampton and we have enjoyed the formality of the line . BUT - this time, the cruise is only 10 days long, we have been on QE six times before and we are only sailing on her again for the itinerary. I am now completely over bringing a Tux with me  and I dont own a dark suit, so I will simply wear trousers and a shirt at night ( probably with a blazer jacket) and not participate in the so-called Gala nights in the MDR 

I am waiting for my son to decide, but I am not willing to pay the equivalent of 4 person fare for 2 persons and then being excluded from the Gala-night menu, just because the cruise-line is stack somewhere in the 1950's 😂

10 hours ago, BVILady said:

I am waiting for my son to decide, but I am not willing to pay the equivalent of 4 person fare for 2 persons and then being excluded from the Gala-night menu, just because the cruise-line is stack somewhere in the 1950's 😂

I think that we all read a bit between the lines about this - Cunard use lots of weasel words (IMO) and specifically do not say "Thou shall or shall not" regarding dress. And regardless of the many opinions expressed here , they do not impose dress codes. One of my dinner companions on a "3 Queens" back to back was a wealthy Australian cattle farmer whose cattle property was about the size of Scotland - had never been out of the country, much less on ships like the 3 Queens. He was a giant of a man but a loveable giant - he did bring a suit because somebody told him that he should , but on the flight over from Australia his feet swelled forcing him to wear a dark suit with rubber thongs to the Gala nights. 🙂 The Cunard dress code doesn't mention anything about shoes 🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

11 hours ago, BVILady said:

I am probably one of the most tolerant members on this board with regards to dress code. Tolerant as in it doesn't have to be best bib and tucker for all and as long as folk are doing their best to try and follow guidelines without stretching 'things' too much then good on them.

However, your last phrase resonates with me.

If anyone chooses to travel on a Cunard ship, then accept the guidelines and try and fit it as best you can even if that means Gala nights in the buffet. What you don't do is book a Cunard cruise and then use a phrase which implies the cruise line is stuck somewhere in the 1950s. It's not. It's a style of cruising, a style which is evolving for sure, which is loved by thousands, hence its popularity.

So Caveat Emptor and all that. If booked-don't moan about the guidelines afterwards.

• Like 18

1 hour ago, Victoria2 said:

I am probably one of the most tolerant members on this board with regards to dress code. Tolerant as in it doesn't have to be best bib and tucker for all and as long as folk are doing their best to try and follow guidelines without stretching 'things' too much then good on them.

However, your last phrase resonates with me.

If anyone chooses to travel on a Cunard ship, then accept the guidelines and try and fit it as best you can even if that means Gala nights in the buffet. What you don't do is don't think abut booking a Cunard cruise and then use a phrase which implies the cruise line is stuck somewhere in the 1950s. It's not. It's a style of cruising, a style which is evolving for sure, which is loved by thousands, hence its popularity.

So Caveat Emptor and all that. If booked/thinking of booking -don't moan about the guidelines.

What I should have said to be fair, is highlighted in red.

On 2/23/2024 at 2:53 PM, BVILady said:

If Cunard were stuck in the 1950s, there would be a strict dress code, black or white tie every night, and it would be strictly enforced. Unfortunately, we’re stuck with the 2020s.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Cunard is not even stuck in 2008 when we made our first TA with every night offered only either as Semi-Formal or Formal Night. Most pax gladly participated in the Dress Code. I still believe there’s a strong market for those who want to continue with Cunard’s DC. 

• Like 12

I think we all need to take a deep breath and start again! 

I believe that you said your son has a dark coloured suit?  If so, he will be fine.  Perhaps for the gala nights he could wear a slightly fancier shirt and definitely a tie.  Maybe he'd also like the opportunity to wear a bowtie, they are not very expensive and do give the outfit a certain 'look'.

For the other evenings a smart(ish) pair of trousers, in other words no ripped denims, and a plain shirt will suffice.  Ties and jackets are no longer a requirement although many men still wear these.  Otherwise you can eat in the buffet.

Daywear is whatever you would normally wear.

Relax, you and your son will have a great time.

• Like 2

@BVILady

Having read back posts on this thread it seems you are booked single occupancy in Queens Grill. You are considering booking the same for your son.

There have been other discussions about cheapest way of getting a third person into QG and the same principle might be applied here.

I think you could enquire about modifying your booking to include your son in your cabin, therefore avoiding the single occupancy surcharge in QG. You could then book an additional nearby Britannia inside cabin for your son, paying the single occupancy fee. That may work out far less expensive than having two QG cabins but would still permit both of you to dine in QG.

I don't appreciate the comment about the 1950's, which may have been intended to be amusing going by the emoji used. I wasn't born until late 50s and my wife hadn't even been thought about but we dress as formally as the climate and our activity allows. We live in a Mediterranean holiday resort. If we lived in a Caribbean resort we'd still dress as formally as we could. I might get to wear my ivory tux more often.

Edited by D&N
  • Like 4

On 2/23/2024 at 8:53 PM, BVILady said:

If you are in QG, you would not be excluded from the Gala night menu, for you can order it to be served course by course in your cabin. Anyway, you can order what you like (with notice) any night in the restaurant. But, if I were you, I would cancel, because I think the combination of expense and restrictions may rankle more and more, to the extent of spoiling your cruise.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

If you are in QG, you would not be excluded from the Gala night menu, for you can order it to be served course by course in your cabin. Anyway, you can order what you like (with notice) any night in the restaurant. But, if I were you, I would cancel, because I think the combination of expense and restrictions may rankle more and more, to the extent of spoiling your cruise.

I must have missed the QG reference and you are quite right. Dinner can be served in the cabin. We have had a couple of cabin dinners [with friends] and the experience was quite delightful.

However, 2025 is still some way off and  BVILady's circumstances might improve this year. Time can be a healer so why not wait awhile  BVILady  before making a decision.

55 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

I must have missed the QG reference and you are quite right. Dinner can be served in the cabin. We have had a couple of cabin dinners [with friends] and the experience was quite delightful.

However, 2025 is still some way off and  BVILady's circumstances might improve this year. Time can be a healer so why not wait awhile  BVILady  before making a decision.

Thank you all for the positive comments. I think some commenters have not read that I had booked the cruise by itinerary not aware of strict dress-codes. I travelled 2023 and now will travel 2024 for 5 month, so far I have 3 month scheduled for 2025, so might not do as much research on cruise-lines as I probably should. My son has decided to come and I have booked his cruise yesterday and we are looking forward to the itinerary, even quite a few ports are already well known to us, but not Sardinia and Corsica. We will be in Rome a few days before this cruise and I am looking forward to getting him a nice suit, always loved Italian men's wear. 

• Like 8

38 minutes ago, BVILady said:

Thank you all for the positive comments. I think some commenters have not read that I had booked the cruise by itinerary not aware of strict dress-codes. I travelled 2023 and now will travel 2024 for 5 month, so far I have 3 month scheduled for 2025, so might not do as much research on cruise-lines as I probably should. My son has decided to come and I have booked his cruise yesterday and we are looking forward to the itinerary, even quite a few ports are already well known to us, but not Sardinia and Corsica. We will be in Rome a few days before this cruise and I am looking forward to getting him a nice suit, always loved Italian men's wear. 

Wonderful on a couple of fronts.

Spending time with your son being the most important of them. A cruise on QV coming a close second. 😄

My husband has had Corneliani  suits over the years so I have to agree re Italian tailoring. Have fun.

Edit

I'm quite envious!

QV is [or was before her fly/cruise itineraries] our home from home and we have a bit of experience in QG.

Just ask if any question occurs to you. Between us all, we should be able to help. 🙂

Edited by Victoria2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

As a regular M& S shopper . Marks keep the bulk of their stock online so do not think you can just get a DJ for the size you want off the pegg. For those coming from overseas , the only way to be certain is to pre order and pickup at the West Quay store in Southampton not far from the dock. if you have time to spare and the correct size is an issue then order two and immediately return one and get a refund

Have just purchased a pair of trousers to match my jacket. Cant tell the difference from the originals

• Like 1

On 1/27/2024 at 6:31 AM, BVILady said:

I do live on a Tropical Island and even fur funerals or weddings gentlemen do not wear suits. How does the Tuxedo-Rental work, anyone can advise me on that? Is there an option for us to eat at the Buffet on Gala Nights, I really don't want to have to buy a suit for these 2 weeks, he will never have use for again. We will be in Europe for about 6 weeks, the suit will take up luggage-space we don't have. Whenever he travels with me and his sister he needs available empty space in his suit-case to take back our purchases which don't fit in our suit-case 🙂 So he will need a smart black pants, dress-shirts and one or 2 ties and dress-shoes.

We travel quite a bit, and are taking QM2 from NY to Southampton in May, and then spending two weeks in the UK, culminating in seeing Eric Clapton in Manchester.  Since shoes are bulky and heavy, and we travel with minimal luggage, (ie carryons) we purchase our cruise shoes at a thrift store and then just leave them on the ship.  We won't be using them in the UK, and DH brings a dark suit and two shirts and ties--he'll take smart/nice casual apparel for travel around the UK including the two shirts.  Flying home with less than we took always works for us.  Jeans are usually too heavy and take up too much room for us.

Dress code must haves?

Oh yes.

Since 2017 I am now travelling Solo, thus on a Formal evening, I need my personal Butler/Valet to help tie/fasten my black tie, and put my cuff links in LOL !

But when sailing in Steerage (Britannia, but of course, I jest) then my very helpful Room Steward always assists.

• Like 1

On 1/27/2024 at 6:31 AM, BVILady said:

Dress shoes are bulky and heavy.  We purchase used ones at a thrift store and just leave them on the ship at the conclusion of our cruise.  On the two weeks following,  we don't have to manage them for our casual touring days.  At US $ 7 a pair they are a great value!

On 3/6/2024 at 1:56 AM, rog747 said:

Dress code must haves?

Oh yes.

Since 2017 I am now travelling Solo, thus on a Formal evening, I need my personal Butler/Valet to help tie/fasten my black tie, and put my cuff links in LOL !

But when sailing in Steerage (Britannia, but of course, I jest) then my very helpful Room Steward always assists.

OOps, he will be in trouble there because I do not know how to tie a black tie, wondering who can help, maybe we have to purchase a clip-on.

• Haha 1