Dress code

Todge1

We have only cruised once, some years ago. What’s the current dress code for dinner? Ties for men?suit or jackets? Do ladies still wear black dresses? Any other tips welcome 

• 1 month later...

There is no longer a dress code, only recommended dress. Most evenings it is smart casual which runs the gamut from men in khakis and button down shirts to jeans and a t-shirt to shorts with a baseball cap. Ladies pretty much get by in anything that isn’t swimwear or a robe. Formal evenings may find  tuxes, suits, cocktail dresses or gowns but more often than not these days even those nights are very relaxed. No ties required!

Seriously, just wear what makes you comfortable and happy and you will be fine. No one really seems to care anymore. With that in mind it’s still considerate to not abuse the privilege by pushing the limits too far outside the bounds of societal norms. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Speaking as a guy...I very commonly will wear a good pair of jeans with either a collared shirt or a pullover shirt.  On "formal" nights (and I *really* hesitate to use that term...) I will typically wear a pair of khakis with either of the same shirts mentioned prior.  If I *really* want to impress myself...I will add a sport jacket.

But really...as @karatemom2 says...there is no real dress code...just no ripped jeans, swimwear or tanktops..

• Thanks 1

On 1/10/2024 at 10:52 AM, Todge1 said:

We have only cruised once, some years ago. What’s the current dress code for dinner? Ties for men?suit or jackets? Do ladies still wear black dresses? Any other tips welcome 

My husband still wears a suit and tie on formal nights. On smart casual nights he wears docker type pants, or a dark wash jean, with a collared shirt.

On formal nights ,  I wear a long gown or cocktail dress. For smart casual, I wear mostly dresses, but maybe nice pants and a blouse.

I pack everything in two suitcases and keep them under the 50 pound weight limit. 

You don’t have to dress up for dinner, but if you decide to, you won’t be the only one.

Edited by partybarbie
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Guest Snaxmuppet
2 hours ago, karatemom2 said:

There is no longer a dress code, only recommended dress. Most evenings it is smart casual which runs the gamut from men in khakis and button down shirts to jeans and a t-shirt to shorts with a baseball cap. Ladies pretty much get by in anything that isn’t swimwear or a robe. Formal evenings may find  tuxes, suits, cocktail dresses or gowns but more often than not these days even those nights are very relaxed. No ties required!

Seriously, just wear what makes you comfortable and happy and you will be fine. No one really seems to care anymore. With that in mind it’s still considerate to not abuse the privilege by pushing the limits too far outside the bounds of societal norms. 

Oh, a lot of people care. Yes, you can get away with almost anything providing it isn't gym/sports wear or scruffy. This is a restaurant so yes, wear what is comfortable but the recommended dress code is smart casual so I'd suggest you stick to that. A good guide is wear anything that you feel would be acceptable at a nice restaurant... ties and jackets are not necessary.

On mid-tier lines like Princess and Celebrity, I generally wear a nice pair of slacks with a dress shirt for dinner and dancing, and I add a silver vest on "formal" nights. I limit my true formal wear (tux and tails) to high-end lines and British cruise lines because it's so incredibly out of place on mid-tier lines these days.

On Majestic during the holidays last year, someone came to the MDR like this on a formal night.  (Actually, it wasn't quite this nice--it was not new and crisp like this outfit. Also, he had on flip-flops, not closed shoes.)

I'm all for wearing whatever makes you comfortable, but this was too much.  I told the woman at the door that I did not think he should have been seated, but she just shrugged.

Men's Fitness Cardio Training Tank Top - 100

Edited by charliedalrymple
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

13 minutes ago, charliedalrymple said:

On Majestic during the holidays last year, someone came to the MDR like this on a formal night.  (Actually, it wasn't quite this nice--it was not new and crisp like this outfit. Also, he had on flip-flops, not closed shoes.)

I'm all for wearing whatever makes you comfortable, but this was too much.  I told the woman at the door that I did not think he should have been seated, but she just shrugged.

I cannot disagree with you.  I am a Smart Casual dresser all evenings.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, charliedalrymple said:

Men's Fitness Cardio Training Tank Top - 100

good point! Princess used to be good cruise line with rules, and now, especially after 2021 they went down down down..... I remember before when its formal night 95% of guests were dressed up formally, or casual-formal (lets say), you could see nice dresses, shar dressed mans, younger crowd too. Princess had their rules that you must wear pants and some kind of shirt-polo on casual, etc.... and Now.... my god... flip flops, sandals, cargo shorts, jerseys, baseball cap, tank tops...... 

Edited by pspman92
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, charliedalrymple said:

I told the woman at the door that I did not think he should have been seated, but she just shrugged.

What did you expect her to do, turn him away?

It's one of the main reasons Princess has decided to let everything slide. 

They decided to remain neutral as far as enforcement goes and let the people decide for themselves what is suitable. 

I haven't seen that many really bad examples of people lately. except for some scruffy shorts, and that was only for a few brief minutes at the entrance.   

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, charliedalrymple said:

Yes, I did.  Tell him to go put on a proper shirt and closed shoes if he wanted to be seated.

correct i agree.... there was a rule before pandemic period, how you should dress for MDR during each day or occasion . now... well... no more

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, charliedalrymple said:

Yes, I did.  Tell him to go put on a proper shirt and closed shoes if he wanted to be seated.

2 hours ago, pspman92 said:

correct i agree.... there was a rule before pandemic period, how you should dress for MDR during each day or occasion . now... well... no more

Well then, you can expect them to refuse those people to be seated but I think that you'll have a long wait these days for anything to even be said. 

I believe the new Sun Princess might be more to your liking as they'll have a special DR just for those who demand all passengers to be dressed according to a strict dress code. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

My husband absolutely detests dressing up. He says even more so on a Hawaiian cruise!. Can he wear Docker type slacks and Reyn Spooner Hawaiian shirts or button down shirts on non formal nights? Thank you for any suggestions. 

• Like 2

Guest Snaxmuppet
3 hours ago, voljeep said:

so, will you be booking the early or late traditional dining on the SUN Princess?

LOL! I won't be cruising on the Sun. In fact, my April cruise is very likely my last Princess cruise. We are looking at cruising less often but with more quality cruise lines... still investigating which ones but one thing I have determined already... it won't be cheap!

Edited by Snaxmuppet

1 hour ago, Ndolly said:

My husband absolutely detests dressing up. He says even more so on a Hawaiian cruise!. Can he wear Docker type slacks and Reyn Spooner Hawaiian shirts or button down shirts on non formal nights? Thank you for any suggestions. 

Yes he can.

• Like 1