Looking for some information regarding the Costa Maya stop

Moondoggy51

We're going on an 8 day cruse from Mobile, AL in early March and our first stop is Costa Maya.  I checked out the excursions and nothing sounded good as we've been snorkeling before and we're not interested in dune buggies or donut boats where you have to cook your own meals.  Can someone who has been to the Costa Maya stop provide any insight into what else you can do there.  Is there any shopping?  Is there a beach where you can sit back and enjoy a boat drink or a beer or don something other than sit on the ship?  Any help will be appreciated.

Everytime I go there it seems like it has changed. At the end of the pier is a private cruise spot with a pool, at least one bar, entertainment, shopping, some dolphins that some swim with, etc. If you walk through the port area to the back is the taxi/transportation area. We bought the transfers to town on an open air "bus" thing. Don't remember cost, but it wasn't expensive. In town there are beaches on one side of the road and bars/shops/restaurants on the other with locals setting up their sales booths along the way. I've also had an outdoor massage which was divine. Many go to beach clubs which I think many are also located in this same area. If you go to the ports of call area there will be many recommendations of what others have done.

I’ll be in Costa Maya next week and am planning to try Maya Chan beach club for the first time. Looks mellow and lovely. Last spring break when we cruised with the entire family, we rented a golf cart with the Mahahual Red Shirt guys and drove around exploring. We ended up at a couple of nice beach clubs for drinks and food. The water isn’t great, but it was still plenty of fun!

I have been to The Krazy Lobster twice and it is very relaxing and it's ala carte.  There are massages on the beach (awesome!) beers and margaritas, and yummy lobster lunch (plus other selections).  There is a net that keeps the seaweed away and the water is very calm.  You need to get to the taxi area behind the shops and it's $4/person in a taxi to get there.  If I was stopping at Costa Maya, I would go back to The Krazy Lobster again!lobstertable.jpg.a7d69964183b9ec0b519c53f2b761c5d.jpgcatmassage.jpg.c53c88ca7eea0951b04547139046eae6.jpglobster.jpg.5552d492e325952e69312f2d38bb35c8.jpgloungersatKL.jpg.80f29d53f34f69155110a0c680a67543.jpg

• Like 4

We go to Nohoch Kay Beach Club.  Have to book through www.elgrannohochkaybigfish.com; or reservations@elgrannohochkaybigfish.com. Nice laid back beach area reasonably priced.  You have to contact them and get information, and a specific cab.  As stated above, it's a bit of a maze to negotiate the port and find the cabs. 

Another vote for a relaxing day at Krazy Lobster!  There is no charge for the table and chairs. Don't let the taxi drivers try to tell you that you have to have a reservation or that Krazy Lobster charges you.

Mauricio, the owner, is aware of the taxi drivers doing this.

Stop by and say Hi to Mauricio.  He is very friendly and accommodating.

Food and drinks are good and prices are reasonable.

• Like 1

I have been to Costa Maya a few times. The port shopping area (small) has a nice pool. If I remember correctly, if you use the loungers, you had to buy food or drinks. If not you may have to pay for a lounger. I could be wrong. However, a waiter will be at your lounger before you have a chance to relax. If there is more than 1 ship, the port can become crowded.

If you go to the town, there are plenty of beach locations renting chairs. Most chairs in the public area are old. You can negotiate the price and initial bucket of brew. The beach is ok. Being familiar with the Florida gulf coast, you will be disappointed.  The beaches in Cozumel are better. I have been to the town twice and probably will not go back. 

Just now, JDsafeman said:

Another vote for a relaxing day at Krazy Lobster!  There is no charge for the table and chairs. Don't let the taxi drivers try to tell you that you have to have a reservation or that Krazy Lobster charges you.

Mauricio, the owner, is aware of the taxi drivers doing this.

Stop by and say Hi to Mauricio.  He is very friendly and accommodating.

Food and drinks are good and prices are reasonable.

Mauricio responded to my questions via Messenger and was very helpful.  My experience is that the staff is friendly and do a great job.  Just make sure you have cash for the taxi there and back, the taxis don't take credit cards.  The Krazy Lobster takes credit cards.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for the comments.  I missed a bunch of excursions as I didn't navigate correctly (my bad).  I was reading about the water park and wondered if anyone had gone there recently?  The excursion costs $120 per person and I read several reviews that said that if you take a cab to the park a ticket is only $20 per person so I'm wondering that that extra $100 buys you?  It seems like many of the excursions involve long bus or van rides and many complain about the bugs eating you alive.

Just now, mamiamjo said:

We may try Krazy Lobster on our Costa Maya stop on our Jubilee cruise, but It’s not until next year. First I need to start planning for the ABCs in May this year 🤦

Check out the floating bridge in Curaçao. Very cool. 

• Like 1

I've been to Costa Maya more times than I'd like to admit since 2021 and I think the real value in that port is getting away from the port. The beaches are pretty mediocre especially if you're also going to Roatan on your trip - there are some excellent beaches there, not the one at the port. In Costa Maya going to the Chacchoben Ruins is a long bus ride but a great experience. I would go to Kohunlich ruins the next time I'm there but its even farther than Chacchoben. 

We have done ruins, Maya Chan and last time there Jamies at Blue Reef, which is down the street from Krazy Lobster. Jamies at Blue Reef is an all inclusive, food and drinks. 

2 hours ago, x lindsay x said:

In Costa Maya going to the Chacchoben Ruins is a long bus ride but a great experience.

This may get moved to the Ports of Call area, but I second this recommendation - we did this tour, and while a long-ish bus ride, it's mostly straight roads (and fairly well built at that).  Really enjoyed the tour and taking tons of photos of the Mayan pyramids & remnants of other buildings/structures.  A good tour guide can be really informative.

2 hours ago, x lindsay x said:

I would go to Kohunlich ruins the next time I'm there but its even farther than Chacchoben. 

If we return to that port, we might do that other site.

CM was one of my favorite ports but with 12000 plus passengers it is wall to wall people. If you cab it to the beach town just south of the port you will be disappointed, the sandy beach has eroded away and is now covered with seaweed. The restaurants are dirty and restroom just filthy. I suggest you book a private beach club away from the port. 

I recommend Maya Chan. Beautiful place with great service. Local cuisine is served at lunch and it's delicious.

A warning though. We were there in March 2023, and the sargassum was immense. The employees warned us before departing however. We were given the choice to cancel for a full refund. We opted to go, and despite not being really able to go in the water (and dealing with the occasional smell of rotting sargassum), it was still worth it. The owners are very friendly and the staff provided the best service we've probably experienced anywhere.

Hopefully the sargassum issue has cleared up since. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, x lindsay x said:

I would go to Kohunlich ruins the next time I'm there but its even farther than Chacchoben. 

I liked Kohunlich. It is a long drive, but the bus had a bathroom and there were portlets at the entrance. Other than that, I don't recall any facilities, shops, or vendors! You were allowed to climb anything that had steps.

On 1/10/2024 at 8:53 PM, Moondoggy51 said:

Thanks everyone for the comments.  I missed a bunch of excursions as I didn't navigate correctly (my bad).  I was reading about the water park and wondered if anyone had gone there recently?  The excursion costs $120 per person and I read several reviews that said that if you take a cab to the park a ticket is only $20 per person so I'm wondering that that extra $100 buys you?  It seems like many of the excursions involve long bus or van rides and many complain about the bugs eating you alive.

We went twice back in 2019 before they shut it down due to covid. It's been closed since then but recently opened back up (from what I've read maybe around September 2023). You can walk there from the port (or take the trolly right outside the port (like an open air bus). 

It's a fun place with different pool areas, water slides (some really big ones), zip lining, lazy river and so on. 

A ticket to get in is definitely NOT $20. It was $99/pp back when we went I think. Then you could add on the buffet meal for $25/pp if you wanted. 

HERE and HERE are my reviews from when we went with tons of pictures if you want a better idea of the place. 

• Like 1

On 1/11/2024 at 6:47 AM, x lindsay x said:

I've been to Costa Maya more times than I'd like to admit since 2021 and I think the real value in that port is getting away from the port. The beaches are pretty mediocre especially if you're also going to Roatan on your trip - there are some excellent beaches there, not the one at the port. In Costa Maya going to the Chacchoben Ruins is a long bus ride but a great experience. I would go to Kohunlich ruins the next time I'm there but its even farther than Chacchoben. 

What beaches do you like in Roatan?

14 hours ago, melindaDavid said:

What beaches do you like in Roatan?

West Bay Beach is worth the drive if you like snorkeling/scuba diving. The reef there is second to none and make it a true destination. Little French Key is a great place to spend the day, no great reef but lots of activities and one of the beaches is really accessible for kids.