Web check-in: 'unnatural skin tone'

kknb4082

I ask this question with great hesitation.

We are within 30 days of our cruise and trying to check-in online. On the section where one has to take a security photo, the system tries to take a photo of my face, and after properly identifying my face, it doesn't take a photo and I get the message 'Unnatural Skin Tone'. I am not White. My partner is White and the system has identified and taken a photo without a problem.

Has anyone else encountered this issue?

I have contacted MSC customer service and asked them about next steps here to check-in, but I understand from this forum that their response can be slow. I have also asked them to double check their system and wording of messages so that they reflect greater inclusivity.

This is all very awkward.

I've had lots of trouble getting the software to accept my photo, luckily it really isn't necessary.   Check out the documentary "Coded Bias".

If you really want to get the all clear message, just take two pictures of the partner that it allows to photo and you will get the green check.  They will take photos of both of you at check in anyway.  

✌️🍺🍹

• Like 3

On every cruise I've taken with MSC my photo when I was able to get it to upload and be accepted was retaken by the port contractor at check-in.

I've even had one retaken by security when boarding as they didn't like the one the port took.

Thank you all, heartened to hear your comments and that no photo is not a problem. My worry was that I would not be able to print out the cruise tickets if I don't complete the check-in (this is our first cruise, so assumed the process would be like the boarding pass process for airlines).

That said, @Até good to hear that I'm not the only person to face this problem! I am aware of racial bias in facial recognition algorithms, and indeed unintended consequences of biases when training AI systems more broadly.

In this case, if the system can recognise some faces and some not, in exactly the same device and same environmental condition, the system does need to be looked at. MSC being the large global conglomerate that it is, needs to do better, and I will leave it at that.

• Like 3

Just to add: I do expect a response from MSC customer services, and will follow up with them. It is not a particularly nice feeling as a passenger to know that your unnatural skin tone is messing with the system. If I want the world to change, then I need to play my part in helping and being part of the change.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, kknb4082 said:

Thank you all, heartened to hear your comments and that no photo is not a problem. My worry was that I would not be able to print out the cruise tickets if I don't complete the check-in (this is our first cruise, so assumed the process would be like the boarding pass process for airlines).

That said, @Até good to hear that I'm not the only person to face this problem! I am aware of racial bias in facial recognition algorithms, and indeed unintended consequences of biases when training AI systems more broadly.

In this case, if the system can recognise some faces and some not, in exactly the same device and same environmental condition, the system does need to be looked at. MSC being the large global conglomerate that it is, needs to do better, and I will leave it at that.

My wife had a similar problem with the orange auto detection box not recognizing her face using the web browser check-in and cam on my PC and phone. It would not work in any light, but my photo worked quickly the first time. We rebooted her phone and use the check-in process on the MSC app instead and it worked perfectly.

• Thanks 1

We couldn't complete the photos until we tried again in natural daylight, the color cast in artificial lighting seems to confuse it even though we use bulbs in the daylight range.

Edited by Mark_T

If the photo isn't important then why are they asking for it? I'm not white either. I guess I should snap the pic in the brightest room possible or outside in broad daylight and hope for the best. Lol. Can you just skip it during check-in? 🤦‍♀️

1 hour ago, quattrohead said:

Photo and credit card info is not required ahead of time.

And thinking they should do better with their IT...priceless 🤣

Was wondering about the credit card part. Can I load cash onboard (Meraviglia)? Thanks.

58 minutes ago, cruizinisthebest said:

Was wondering about the credit card part. Can I load cash onboard (Meraviglia)? Thanks.

Yes, you do not have to provide CC information in advance.

We just completed the check-in this morning and did not enter a payment method as we know the online system doesn't handle the debit card we wish to use, but onboard it isn't an issue.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Mark_T said:

Yes, you do not have to provide CC information in advance.

We just completed the check-in this morning and did not enter a payment method as we know the online system doesn't handle the debit card we wish to use, but onboard it isn't an issue.

Thanks. Enjoy your cruise.

• Like 1

On 1/11/2024 at 4:20 PM, Brighton Line said:

On every cruise I've taken with MSC my photo when I was able to get it to upload and be accepted was retaken by the port contractor at check-in.

I've even had one retaken by security when boarding as they didn't like the one the port took.

My experience:

• At Port Canaveral in November 2023:  Exactly as you stated, the photo taken during web checkin was ignored and a new one taken in the port.
  • At Miami in December 2023:  The photo taken during web checkin was used, with no additional photo taken at the port.

I find our photos taken during web checkin very very unflattering, no matter what you do with the phone or lighting.   My husband went to guest services on the last cruise and took a new photo as he didn't want every bar staff or waiter looking at the ugly web-checkin photo when they swipe his card.

On 1/12/2024 at 11:25 AM, 8420PR said:

At Miami in December 2023:  The photo taken during web checkin was used, with no additional photo taken at the port.

At Miami in November 2023 - the photo taken during web check-in was not used. Photo of each of the 5 of us was taken at the terminal and used onboard.

• 2 weeks later...

An update.

After following up with MSC customer service, they have confirmed that they have change the 'unnatural skin tone' wording on web and app platforms to 'Picture not bright enough'. Much better wording in my opinion.

Credit to MSC for taking customer feedback and doing something about it!

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

On 1/11/2024 at 11:14 AM, kknb4082 said:

Just to add: I do expect a response from MSC customer services, and will follow up with them. It is not a particularly nice feeling as a passenger to know that your unnatural skin tone is messing with the system. If I want the world to change, then I need to play my part in helping and being part of the change.

I am blond and blue eyed with fair Irish skin.  Got the exact same message.  I think it's more lighting then anything else when taking your own picture.

Edited to add, just read your new post.  Good to know.

Edited by jean87510

On 1/11/2024 at 6:06 AM, blordos said:

The photo is of no importance. At the check-in desk in the terminal the staff will take a photo anyway. This photo will attach to your cruise card ( internally )

This 👆🏻

We were extra careful to get really good photos before we left home. What was the first thing they did at checkin after scanning our passports, yup, they took new photos of each of us. 🤷🏼‍♂️

I just booked a last minute cruise that sail on 2/11. For me we are able to take the photos successfully the app shows load error.

our TA suggest to try using website but I don’t see check-in available via website. And I just can’t link my booking to my account. So I don’t even know if my current email will receive any notification from MSC. They really need to work on their app and system… 

I am anxious to receive the bid emails. It’s 9 day before sailing and for now we didn’t get them…

You can leave it blank. I've done several reservations before and my companions never took photo's at home. At the terminal the staff will take a new photo anyway. The photo I took for myself was never used during the cruise.

14 hours ago, BookBikeBeyond123 said:

I am anxious to receive the bid emails. It’s 9 day before sailing and for now we didn’t get them…

Not sure which cruise you are on, but our next one sails on 2/11 as well, and there have already been 3 upgrade bid emails over the last month or so, so it is possible that they may already have all the bids they need, especially if the ship is full or close to it...

1 hour ago, Mark_T said:

Not sure which cruise you are on, but our next one sails on 2/11 as well, and there have already been 3 upgrade bid emails over the last month or so, so it is possible that they may already have all the bids they need, especially if the ship is full or close to it...

Sailing from NY… just made the reservation yesterday. Our TA says likely I will receive the bid emails. I saw like 40+ YC and Aurea available still… but only 50 some fant balcony available to book. Not sure if this can predict how full the ship is..

On 1/11/2024 at 3:53 AM, kknb4082 said:

I ask this question with great hesitation.

We are within 30 days of our cruise and trying to check-in online. On the section where one has to take a security photo, the system tries to take a photo of my face, and after properly identifying my face, it doesn't take a photo and I get the message 'Unnatural Skin Tone'. I am not White. My partner is White and the system has identified and taken a photo without a problem.

Has anyone else encountered this issue?

I have contacted MSC customer service and asked them about next steps here to check-in, but I understand from this forum that their response can be slow. I have also asked them to double check their system and wording of messages so that they reflect greater inclusivity.

This is all very awkward.

Ran into something similar. If using a phone to take the picture, try turning the flash on so that it stays on throughout the picture. That worked for us.